Hijack This Thread

Patagoniagirl

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Aside from our fellow FB Texans feelings I wish Texas would seceed. Lose all their military $. Insecretly wish a lot of awful things on the RW politicians and hope their ignorant constituents pain and suffering. But then, I often find myself not feeling too kindly.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

This is why the national Republican party had a party platform for years now- it would look just like the TX one.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Finally TX can build two walls, both south and north :twisted:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Question for the IAALs: why are judges reluctant to grant protective and restraining orders? Saw on Twitter a bunch of references to them being denied, and have seen it in many other cases where it seems a no-brainer.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:44 pm Question for the IAALs: why are judges reluctant to grant protective and restraining orders? Saw on Twitter a bunch of references to them being denied, and have seen it in many other cases where it seems a no-brainer.
Because it's usually women against men and we all know who wins that battle.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:36 am
pipistrelle wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:44 pm Question for the IAALs: why are judges reluctant to grant protective and restraining orders? Saw on Twitter a bunch of references to them being denied, and have seen it in many other cases where it seems a no-brainer.
Because it's usually women against men and we all know who wins that battle.

Seems so, Sugar.

I know that a very small percentage of women may use protective or restraining order accusations to keep husbands or boyfriends from their children/to attempt an advantage in custody disputes BUT, I don't know why a judge would deny one when injuries or threats are documented. We need Red Flag Laws now.

Even with restraining or protective orders, women are reabused, attacked and killed by their domestic partners.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Be very very quiet, but I only have to pack seven more lunches, and get seven more goodbye kisses in the morning until I am retired. Mums the word.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:25 am Be very very quiet, but I only have to pack seven more lunches, and get seven more goodbye kisses in the morning until I am retired. Mums the word.
I for one will miss your work adventures and photos.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:42 am
bill_g wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:25 am Be very very quiet, but I only have to pack seven more lunches, and get seven more goodbye kisses in the morning until I am retired. Mums the word.
Me too. I have been going through so many this-is-the-last-time-I'll-be-doing-this moments over the previous few months. And the emotions - happiness, fear, anger, wonder, anxiety - it's almost like being sixteen again not knowing what the future holds.

And to be clear, I will continue to "help and consult" until the end of the year. I'm taking July off. In July I go dark. But, I have several key projects that are in process I want to complete. Plus I have several clients that will be orphaned when I leave. So, there's opportunity for me to never entirely retire which is fine by me. I've been unemployed fifteen minutes in my whole adult life. I have never not worked. I don't know how to. it will be strange. So, I get to keep the truck, keep the phone, keep my office, keep my email, and in August I'll be back part-time (quote unquote) on a very flexible schedule. I'm gone, but I'm not gone. It will be different with much shorter hours.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:42 am
Fuck that shit.

Its party time!

:groupdance:
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Here's to lani and bill_g. Cheers!
mug-beer-11093610.jpg
mug-beer-11093610.jpg (43.94 KiB) Viewed 502 times
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

keith wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:04 am
Fuck that shit.

Its party time!

:groupdance:
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:18 am Here's to lani and bill_g. Cheers!
mug-beer-11093610.jpg
I have a fine Irish whiskey from West Cork with a good chew that I like neat. But, if it's hot out, nothing cuts the slake off your throat better than a crisp beer. Toast!
Tiredretiredlawyer

I prefer an amber or dark beer, but pilsner is all that was available! Salud! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:39 am I prefer an amber or dark beer, but pioneer is all that was available! Salud! :biggrin:
I can provide an amber ale from Full Sail Brewing in (the city of) Hood River along the Columbia. Delicious.
Tiredretiredlawyer

AMBER ALE
Oregon’s Original Amber Ale. A sweet, malty, medium-bodied ale with a spicy, floral hop finish. It’s brewed with 2-row Pale, Crystal and Chocolate malts. And we hop it with Mt. Hoods and Cascades.
ABV 6% IBU 31

Yummy!!!!!!

You had me at Oregon.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

neonzx wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:14 am Bacon and Eggs Bloody Mary

Bacon-and-Eggs-Bloody-Mary-Culinary-Hill-square.jpg
My dad's Father's Day drink for brunch.
Big Papa
tito's vodka, bloody mary mix, A1 steak sauce, with a celery salt rim and garnished with mozzarella, tomato, capicola, pepperoni, bacon, pickles and olives
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona

They've been doing this awhile, I'm not sure it will not ever seem needlessly wasteful to me.
Reuters @Reuters wrote: New York City Mayor Eric Adams waved a checkered flag to start a bulldozing event, where 100 illegal dirt bikes and all-terrain vehicles, confiscated by the New York City Police Department, were crushed
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:22 am They've been doing this awhile, I'm not sure it will not ever seem needlessly wasteful to me.
Reuters @Reuters wrote: New York City Mayor Eric Adams waved a checkered flag to start a bulldozing event, where 100 illegal dirt bikes and all-terrain vehicles, confiscated by the New York City Police Department, were crushed
Seems on par with melting down illegal guns to me. No reason to put illegal vehicles back on the road.

I may be biased though, because illegal dirt bikes and ATVs on city streets are a HUGE problem around here.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Aarrgh!

Dang, I got a call from my nephew this morning. It seems that his twice widowed 67-year old mother is getting scammed out of thousands of dollars. I stayed with her over Memorial Day weekend and he was wondering if she had said anything then. I had no clue. Apparently her younger son and daughter who live in the same town as my sister-in-law got wind of it when my SIL transferred thousands of dollars to a bank in a nearby town because the local bank would not do an international wire transfer. WTF? So both the younger son and daughter tried talking to my SIL and she just threw them out of the house. My older nephew says his two siblings do have powers of attorney (I don't know how powerful), so there is that. Anyway, my nephew wanted my advice before he got involved too. I suggested he talk to the accountant who does my SIL's taxes. I know SIL trusts her. And my nephew will talk to an older, wiser accountant at the CPA firm his wife works at to see if he has any ideas. Hopefully my SIL will still attend the wedding of her step granddaughter in 10 days and I'll see her then.

I don't know if any of you have suggestions, but I just had to vent. I feel helpless. My SIL is sweet, but small town Iowa, so probably more trusting than she should be.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:26 am Dang, I got a call from my nephew this morning. It seems that his twice widowed 67-year old mother is getting scammed out of thousands of dollars. I stayed with her over Memorial Day weekend and he was wondering if she had said anything then. I had no clue. Apparently her younger son and daughter who live in the same town as my sister-in-law got wind of it when my SIL transferred thousands of dollars to a bank in a nearby town because the local bank would not do an international wire transfer. WTF? So both the younger son and daughter tried talking to my SIL and she just threw them out of the house. My older nephew says his two siblings do have powers of attorney (I don't know how powerful), so there is that. Anyway, my nephew wanted my advice before he got involved too. I suggested he talk to the accountant who does my SIL's taxes. I know SIL trusts her. And my nephew will talk to an older, wiser accountant at the CPA firm his wife works at to see if he has any ideas. Hopefully my SIL will still attend the wedding of her step granddaughter in 10 days and I'll see her then.
No expert by any means here. If the other son and daughter hold a POA, they should be able to go-to/contact this other bank to see what happened. If SIL setup a new account with them and then tried to do an international transfer, it may have been red flagged as suspicious.(pray) They may still have the money.

Good luck.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Lock them up!
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Today in my day fundraising analytic job, I sent a mass email to our team regarding a data issue we discovered on the back-end and that is being fixed. Without thinking, I used this for the subject:

Commitment Issues

I have already started to receive LOL responses from recipients. :doh:

An explanation for those who need it. Commitments are how we track non-Pledge deferred gifts such as bequests/estates, gift annuities, charitable remainder trusts, etc. You'd think I would have realized what I was doing in the subject line having already been in a meeting regarding how we link spouses and deal with commitments with me pointing about how we were sitting around talking about our problems with relationships and commitments.
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona

I don’t pretend to be particularly religious or an authority on the teachings of Jesus, but I’ve got to wonder if this is what He had in mind.
76309547-26EE-48D2-AB83-A7E46C479002.png
76309547-26EE-48D2-AB83-A7E46C479002.png (449.66 KiB) Viewed 397 times
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3569532 ... 883438362/
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Yeah - those nitty hurt feelings of a deity, one day it will drown the Earth again cause of a comic figure in the US. Not cause the Hindus do their thing and not his, not cause the Muslims do their thing and not his. :brickwallsmall:

thread jack, we got a whole thread on that elsewhere
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

:talktothehand:

Return to “General Stuff”