The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald 39 years ago today

Chilidog

Re: The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald 39 years ago today

Post by Chilidog » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:06 am

40 years.

There was a bit in the local news on this the other day.

The ding-a-ling doing the piece called it a "boat crash."

:brickwallsmall:

BrianH

Post by BrianH » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:28 am

Lunaluz wrote:I like that it is deep, cold and alive and the smell of the lake.. water, sand, smoke. Leaves spinning through the air.. grass pollen, sun tan lotion, old driftwood rotting... the sound of the waves as they rush over the rounded rocks and hush on the sand...
I like it. :)

Speaking of deep, Lake Superior contains more water than all of the other Great Lakes combined. And by a fair margin, to boot. That fact really wowed me when I first read it.

I've not been to Duluth. Though I recall suffering through a very cold winter's night in Rhinelander, WI, during a high school sporting event. It was minus 46 that evening. (My fading memory had that as the air temperature, but online records suggest that was the wind chill). But I couldn't feel too bad upon hearing that in Duluth/Superior it was minus 62.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:21 am

The sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald is significant for a number of reasons ...

At the time it was the largest ship on the Great Lakes and it still remains the largest to have sunk there,
The cause of the sinking was never determined, although it occurred during a storm,
Apparently the sinking was extremely swift and unexpected, as the last message from the ship was "We are holding our own".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Edmund_Fitzgerald

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:33 am

Gordon Lightfoot on the Edmund Fitzgerald: 'I didn't want it to be forgotten'
Singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot's "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" speaks of tragedy and sustains memory in a way no journalistic account could.

Yet it was a Newsweek magazine article of the November 1975 disaster that inspired Lightfoot to write the song that would become a classic. The 40th anniversary of the tragedy is Tuesday.

To Lightfoot, the article "was too short, too brief" -- a final item in a roundup of national news. A few months after reading it, he began to work on his song, with an opening lyric that played off the first line of the magazine piece: "According to a legend of the Chippewa tribe, the lake they once called Gitche Gumee "never gives up her dead."

:snippity:

Over the years, Lightfoot has gotten to know some of the loved ones of those who died, and has attended memorial services with them. It reinforced to him that while he had written a memorable song, it was about real grief and loss.
"There is a responsibility," he said.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:38 am

Few people had heard of the Edmund Fitzgerald tragedy until Gordon Lightfoot told the story with his music.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:45 am

magdalen77 wrote:I would have been a junior in high school as well. I remember being at Harveys Lake (largest natural lake in PA, but a puddle compared to a Great Lake) and hearing it on the radio.
I was last at Harvey's Lake when I was 3. I have pictures!

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:23 am

TexasFilly wrote:
magdalen77 wrote:I would have been a junior in high school as well. I remember being at Harveys Lake (largest natural lake in PA, but a puddle compared to a Great Lake) and hearing it on the radio.
I was last at Harvey's Lake when I was 3. I have pictures!
The last time I was there to actually swim in the lake was years ago. I've probably been out that way driving around the lake within the past five years. It's a nice drive from Wilkes-Barre on a spring or early fall day.

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:25 pm

My fifth grade homeroom teacher, who was from St. Ignace (across the bridge from Mackinac) used to play that song on her guitar and sing it. It really creeped me out for many years thereafter.

The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead, when the skies of November turn gloomy...

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:04 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:My fifth grade homeroom teacher, who was from St. Ignace (across the bridge from Mackinac) used to play that song on her guitar and sing it. It really creeped me out for many years thereafter.

The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead, when the skies of November turn gloomy...
I remember that song quite readily from my youth, but I never truly understood the November gales until I moved from Southwest Michigan to Frankfort. Even then, I was just along smaller and calmer Lake Michigan.

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:16 pm

Northland10 wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:My fifth grade homeroom teacher, who was from St. Ignace (across the bridge from Mackinac) used to play that song on her guitar and sing it. It really creeped me out for many years thereafter.

I remember that song quite readily from my youth, but I never truly understood the November gales until I moved from Southwest Michigan to Frankfort. Even then, I was just along smaller and calmer Lake Michigan.
I don't know that I truly understand them even now, but I was certainly afraid of them for a long time. :cantlook:

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:31 pm

It's on Pinterest, so it's a pita to view, but worth it

BillTheCat

Post by BillTheCat » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:36 pm

ZekeB wrote:Few people had heard of the Edmund Fitzgerald tragedy until Gordon Lightfoot told the story with his music.
I heard it and fell in love with it that year when it came out, and it was the first I had heard about the tragedy. It was a huge hit for him and I've always loved it, very haunting.

'But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'
-Lewis Carroll

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:29 pm

BillTheCat wrote:
ZekeB wrote:Few people had heard of the Edmund Fitzgerald tragedy until Gordon Lightfoot told the story with his music.
I heard it and fell in love with it that year when it came out, and it was the first I had heard about the tragedy. It was a huge hit for him and I've always loved it, very haunting.
Yes, "haunting". (I might even go so far as to say "hauntingly beautiful") I'm just not sure I would have chosen to repeatedly expose 5th graders to something so powerful. (by the way, this would have been a couple of years after the song came out---'78-79 I think)

Sluffy1

Post by Sluffy1 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:43 pm

Five years ago, because of a Dive Detectives documentary that closely examined the attachment points, clamps and hatch covers, Lightfoot changed the lyrics from
"At 7 p.m. a main hatchway caved in, He said, "Fellas, it's been good to know ya.'"
to
"At 7 p.m., it grew dark, it was then he said, 'Fellas it's been good to know ya."" when he performs. ... the relatives of the deck crew are greatly appreciative for vindication of their loved ones performance of their duties..

This documentary leaned towards a grounding while on its way to shelter in Whitefish Bay in a pass far too close to Six Fathom Shoal to the north of Caribou Island allowing some water into her hold and weighing her down.
On April 15, 1977 the U.S. Coast Guard released its official report of "Subject: S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald, official number 277437, sinking in Lake Superior on 10 November 1975 with loss of life." While the Coast Guard said the cause of the sinking could not be conclusively determined, it maintained that "the most probable cause of the sinking of the S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald was the loss of buoyancy and stability resulting from massive flooding of the cargo hold. The flooding of the cargo hold took place through ineffective hatch closures as boarding seas rolled along the spar deck."

However, the Lake Carrier's Association vigorously disagreed with the Coast Guard's suggestion that the lack of attention to properly closing the hatch covers by the crew was responsible for the disaster. They issued a letter to the National Transportation Safety Board in September, 1977. The Lake Carrier's Association was inclined to accept that Fitzgerald passed over the Six Fathom Shoal Area as reported by Captain Cooper.

Captain Cooper maintained that he watched the Edmund Fitzgerald pass far too close to Six Fathom Shoal to the north of Caribou Island. He could clearly see the ship and the beacon on Caribou on his radar set and could measure the distance between them. He and his officers watched the Fitzgerald pass right over the dangerous area of shallow water. By this time, snow and rising spray had obscured the Fitzgerald from sight, visible 17 miles ahead on radar.
Later, in a videotaped conversation with GLSHS, Captain Cooper said that he always believed McSorley knew something serious had happened to Fitzgerald as the ship passed over Caribou Shoal. Cooper believes that from that point on, McSorley knew he was sinking.
http://www.shipwreckmuseum.com/the-fateful-journey-62/

Lunaluz
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Post by Lunaluz » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:13 pm

Another year rolls by.. another salute and remembrance to those who perished and those they left behind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vST6hVRj2A

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:58 pm

Check out the radar map of the Midwest. There's a November Witch developing right now.

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:12 pm

Chilidog wrote:Check out the radar map of the Midwest. There's a November Witch developing right now.
Superior's mostly clear, but I wouldn't want to be on Lake Michigan right now, that's for sure.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:45 am

Look again.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:39 am

Looks like they are getting 30mph sustained winds on Lake Superior now with some places higher. Huron looks to be worse right now.

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Lunaluz
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Post by Lunaluz » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:49 pm

When my Grandmother was a young lady, she worked in Duluth as a nanny for some of the well off, during the winter storms, she and her friends used to go to the Aerial Lift Bridge that spanned canal park to Lake superior and get in the cable cars and they would sit there while the waves and winds from the storms proceeded.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_Li ... _c1908.jpg

That is some crazy fun. The picture I linked shows what they sat in...looks a bit too close to the water for comfort, during a storm. I bet that was a rush. I'd place her there during the 1920's or so. She said it was a popular thing to do for "kicks".

Lunaluz

Post by Lunaluz » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:05 pm

Today is the 43rd anniversary of the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald... My respects to the sailors and families. None disappear if they are remembered.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:22 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:29 pm
BillTheCat wrote:
Yes, "haunting". (I might even go so far as to say "hauntingly beautiful") I'm just not sure I would have chosen to repeatedly expose 5th graders to something so powerful. (by the way, this would have been a couple of years after the song came out---'78-79 I think)

I saw him in Durham in early August. He played it and the sadness is still in his voice.

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:00 pm

Lunaluz wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:05 pm
Today is the 43rd anniversary of the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald... My respects to the sailors and families. None disappear if they are remembered.
I did not know that. But the Lightfoot song came on the radio this morning just after the alarm went off. I lay in bed listening to those vivid lyrics, remembered it's based on an actual tragedy, and felt sad.

RIP

Am I being detained?

Lunaluz

Post by Lunaluz » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:53 pm

My dad went and worked the ore boats . he stuck around to have us..
This is my real thing.. I was raised in Minnesota .. I feel bad if I don't pay it respect.. I also go camp in Westport.. my first stop is the monument to those that died at sea.. .. sometime I will share the history.. but I am tired..:)

Lunaluz

Post by Lunaluz » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:08 am

well hell.. my dad did the ore boats.. every year I end up here.. he lived and joined the airforce
.. He is still a live today.. I am asking him to come visit me, my mom passed in July.. Take the train.. we love the train..
luckily I am home ..(8) I'm smiling next to you in silent lucidity(8)

Return to “American Culture & Current Events”