At the movies ...

bob

At the movies ...

Post by bob »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:53 am I was distracted as he watched Oppenheimer cuz Cillian Murphy grabs your eye any time he is on screen. I have loved him since the independent film Intermission.
I once went on a Irish movie binge, which meant lots of Cillian Murphy. "When the Bough Breaks" was my favorite.

I also really enjoyed him in "Peaky Blinders" because the material allowed him (and his co-stars) to go so over the top.
Image ImageImage
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

At the movies ...

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

bob wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:44 pm
I once went on a Irish movie binge, which meant lots of Cillian Murphy. "When the Bough Breaks" was my favorite.

I also really enjoyed him in "Peaky Blinders" because the material allowed him (and his co-stars) to go so over the top.
Hubby loved “Peaky Blunders”. I am going to check out “When the Bough Breaks”!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Suranis

At the movies ...

Post by Suranis »

I saw "Godzilla Minus One" in theaters last January, which was the first time I've been to the Movies in ages. Brilliant movie, heartily recommend. I talked my mother and sister into going to see it a few days after I did and they thought it was fantastic.

Honestly, it showed me how stupid Hollywood has gotten in the last few years. This is so much more grounded and serious. And just well crafted. There wasn't a minute wasted. Even the scenes where people were sitting around talking are enjoyable.
Hic sunt dracones
Dr. Ken

At the movies ...

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

At the movies ...

Post by Foggy »

I saw a trailer for an upcoming movie where Godzilla and King Kong work together to save the Earth from ... I dunno, probably space aliens or sumpin'. I told my son to remind me to skip that one.
:oldman:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

At the movies ...

Post by raison de arizona »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:53 am Hubby and I caught up on our movie watching as we flew yesterday from Bergen, Norway, to Amsterdam, to Atlanta to Little Rock starting at 2:30 a.m. and reaching home at 11:30 p.m.

He watched Oppenheimer, Everything Everywhere All At Once, and Anatomy of a Fall. (We plan to finish the last one. It is superb.)

I watched Barbie, Asteroid City, The Little Mermaid, and Something’s Gotta Give (a nice repeat).

I was distracted as he watched Oppenheimer cuz Cillian Murphy grabs your eye any time he is on screen. I have loved him since the independent film Intermission.
How did you like Asteroid City? Are you a Wes Anderson fan?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer

At the movies ...

I liked it. I am a Wes Anderson fan. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

At the movies ...

Post by northland10 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:23 am I liked it. I am a Wes Anderson fan. :biggrin:
:thumbsup:
101010 :towel:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

At the movies ...

Post by bill_g »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:53 am Hubby and I caught up on our movie watching as we flew yesterday from Bergen, Norway, to Amsterdam, to Atlanta to Little Rock starting at 2:30 a.m. and reaching home at 11:30 p.m.

He watched Oppenheimer, Everything Everywhere All At Once, and Anatomy of a Fall. (We plan to finish the last one. It is superb.)

I watched Barbie, Asteroid City, The Little Mermaid, and Something’s Gotta Give (a nice repeat).

I was distracted as he watched Oppenheimer cuz Cillian Murphy grabs your eye any time he is on screen. I have loved him since the independent film Intermission.
Everything Everywhere All At Once is on Netflix right now, and I turned it off. My first attempt to watch it lasted about 8 minutes. Then it became the darling of the Oscars. So, I tried again. I made it to an hour, and couldn't take it anymore. It's Nothing Noplace All The Time to me.
AndyinPA
Verified:

At the movies ...

Post by AndyinPA »

Yeah, I agree. I did watch it through, keeping an eye on the clock, wondering when it would end. I wanted to see what all the hoopla was about. Never did figure that out.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

At the movies ...

Post by keith »

The hoopla about it is, to me, about the psychedelic surrealism of it. Every time you think you are getting a handle on what is going on, it shifts again. And the final resolution, while expected by the rational mind, is well done and satisfying.

If multiverse shifting isnt your thing, then it perfectly understandable that you dont like it.

Its also possible that you didn't spend your college years in a cannibis haze contimplating what if an atom was a solar system with people living on it and your roommate declaring that that would make your body a whole universe by itself and the guy from across the hall insisting that that is exactly what Zen has said for thousands of years and physics is so far behind the ancients and...
Has everybody heard about the bird?
bob

At the movies ...

Post by bob »

keith wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:08 pm The hoopla about it is, to me, about the psychedelic surrealism of it. Every time you think you are getting a handle on what is going on, it shifts again. And the final resolution, while expected by the rational mind, is well done and satisfying.

If multiverse shifting isnt your thing, then it perfectly understandable that you dont like it.
There's a meta aspect of it, as Michelle Yeoh plays several variants of ... Michelle Yeoh.

It also (again, meta) is the redemption story of Ke Huy Quan, who is quite good in the film.

James Hong also get a meta wink.

Jamie Lee Curtis also is good, and obviously is having a blast while doing so.
Image ImageImage
Lani

At the movies ...

Post by Lani »

We went to see the movie when it came out. We knew nothing about it. And then everything went crazy, and we dropped our ideas. Weird movie, but we thought it was great.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

At the movies ...

Post by keith »

Just got back from "The Three Musketeers Part 1: d'Artagnan".

We'll go to "Part 2 : Milady" tomorrow. (What's with the 'sudden' penchant for multipart movies?)

Its part of the French Film Festival currently playing in Melbourne. The films don't get general release here until May and June.

The films are in French with English subtitles, and are gritty, funny, violent, and wholly entertaining. With a budget of 70million Euros, it was France's biggest box office smash of 2023.

Has everybody heard about the bird?
Tiredretiredlawyer

At the movies ...

All right!!!!!!
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

At the movies ...

Post by northland10 »

I missed one of the trailers for Dune Part 1. I just noticed it yesterday (and it from the Pink Floyd version).

101010 :towel:

Return to “General Stuff”