2014 MA-06 Upset in primary

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:16 pm

Nine-term US Rep John Tierney, who started in Congress in 1997, was defeated in the MA Democratic primary by Seth Moulton. Moulton came out of nowhere. He now faces Richard Tisei in the November election.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

June bug

Post by June bug » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:21 pm

Interesting - any talk yet about how the general will shape up?

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:49 pm

Moulton is a Marine with a Harvard MBA. http://harvardmagazine.com/2014/03/citizen-soldier Very impressive guy. Tierney was dogged by ethics issues due to his wife's IRS problems, plus feelings that he was ineffective. Moulton's mentor was The Reverend Peter Gomes, who I met once at an event sponsored by The Atlantic Magazine. Rev. Gomes, a lifelong Republican (also black and gay) became a Democrat in 2006 in part to vote for Deval Patrick, and in part because the party went nuts. He walked up to the Plymouth City Hall window on the last day possible to change his party registration, and softly announced his inttentions. In a very loud voice, the clerk asked if his family knew what he was doing. He said most of them were probably spinning in their graves. (He was Republican because Lincoln freed the slaves.)http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/us/02gomes.html?_r=0

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:50 pm

Interesting - any talk yet about how the general will shape up?Not yet, they are focused on the victory speeches.

-- Sen. King (I-ME)

June bug

Post by June bug » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:21 am

Thanks, W4 - I'll look forward to following this as it progresses. Thanks so much also for the story about The Reverend Peter Gomes. As someone raised in an Eisenhower Republican family, it's been very sad for me to witness (IMO) the party's moral decline over my lifetime on so many issues. My parents were lifelong, rock-ribbed Republicans, yet in his last election Dad voted for Perot in 92. Mom voted for Clinton and in the 10 years after that till her death she never voted for another Republican. Truly the party left them.

SPen

Post by SPen » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:59 am

Not so much an upset per se. It became clear once Moulton's name recognition rose and once the campaign began to spend real money that he was in this. What's harder to determine is why Tierney went down now. Did the Democrats not want to risk it again in a rematch in November between Tierney and Tisei that would definitely be tight, or did they really just like Moulton better? Tierney's a better fit ideologically for the seat but he carries the baggage created by his in-laws' scandal and it wasn't going to go away. Now the Democrats have their Generic Democrat (for the most part) and he should play well in November but I'm not so sure that he himself won't be primaried next cycle if he does win.

Return to “U.S. House of Representatives”