New Diseases - Coronavirus

neonzx

Re: New Diseases - Coronavirus

Post by neonzx »

verygrand@verygrand
Replying to @JakeSherman

"Get rid of that sneeze guard, this is America...

10:03 AM - May 19, 2020
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

NBC News:

Confirmed cases in U.S.

Deaths in U.S.

Worldometer has US deaths at 92,478
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/5 ... #read-more
As Bloomberg reports, researchers at the Korean Centers for Disease Control and Prevention studied a group of 285 patients who had received at least one negative test result after recovering from COVID-19, then received a positive result at a later date. Their conclusion was that these “re-positive” patients were not only not contagious, but immune.

When samples of virus were taken from these patients, it would not reproduce in the lab. What was generating the positive result doesn’t appear to be live virus … but dead virus. So these patients had apparently developed an immune response that allowed them to fight off reinfection, and were not carrying virus that could infect others.
I tried to get to the link at Bloomberg, but it won't allow me anymore because I won't whitelist.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Thirteen sailors aboard the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt have tested positive again for Covid-19 after recovering from the disease and returning to the ship, which has been stranded in Guam since late March after an outbreak of the virus, according to two U.S. defense officials.

The Roosevelt's crew began returning to the ship in late April after spending a month either in quarantine or isolation in Guam. But sailors in early May began showing symptoms of the virus, such as a cough and fever, despite testing negative twice.

Advertisement

Some of the sailors who returned to the ship showed expanded symptoms, including body aches and headaches, according to one official. This has slowed the move back onto the ship, as all sailors who return must have been symptom-free for three days and have tested negative twice, as well as completed their isolation period.
CNN first reported on Thursday that five sailors had tested positive after reboarding the ship, so the new number means the positive cases have more than doubled. The 13 Covid-positive sailors have been removed from the ship and are back in isolation on U.S. Naval Base Guam, according to the officials.

"This week, a small number of TR Sailors who previously tested COVID positive and met rigorous recovery criteria have retested positive," said Navy spokesperson Cmdr. Myers Vasquez. "These protocols resulted in a small number of close contacts who were also removed from the ship, quarantined and tested.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/1 ... rus-261873

Weird that if these are really antibodies these sailors would have symptoms.

There's so much about this virus that we don't know yet.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Your last sentence says it all. :thumbs:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Ahead of president’s visit, Michigan town battles racial disparities in coronavirus deaths
Ford Motor Co., line workers put together ventilators that the automaker is assembling at the Ford Rawsonville plant, in Ypsilanti Township, Mich. The plant was converted into a ventilator factory, as hospitals battling the coronavirus report shortages of the life-saving devices. The company has promised to deliver 50,000 by July 4.

Moriah Balingit
May 21, 2020 at 1:52 a.m. GMT+2

YPSILANTI, Mich. — In her two decades on the city council, Lois E. Allen-Richardson recalls using the word “racism” only once during official meetings in the city hall chamber.

The 77-year old mayor pro-tem of this liberal, blue-collar town grew up here at a time when she and her neighbors were barred from downtown restaurants and dress shops because of their skin color. Though Allen-Richardson, who is black, walks freely now, she sees racism elsewhere: in the segregated neighborhoods, in the stories about black residents denied coronavirus testing, in the struggle to get a testing site in a neighborhood with among the highest infection rates.

Now she regularly calls out the systemic discrimination she believes is at the root of the vast racial disparities in coronavirus infections in southeastern Michigan: "When we spy it out, then we've got to not be afraid to call it out."

There's something else Allen-Richardson would like to call out: President Trump.

Trump is scheduled on Thursday to visit a Ford plant that is producing ventilators just outside of this community. Allen-Richardson said she was not invited to the event, but she holds Trump accountable for the severity of the pandemic, particularly in communities like hers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

CDC estimates that 35% of coronavirus patients don't have symptoms
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/22/heal ... ms-deaths/
In new guidance for mathematical modelers and public health officials, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is estimating that about a third of coronavirus infections are asymptomatic.

The CDC also says its "best estimate" is that 0.4% of people who show symptoms and have Covid-19 will die, and the agency estimates that 40% of coronavirus transmission is occurring before people feel sick.

The agency cautions that those numbers are subject to change as more is learned about Covid-19, and it warns that the information is intended for planning purposes. Still, the agency says its estimates are based on real data collected by the agency before April 29. :snippity:
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

but it's just the flu :twisted:
More evidence emerges on why covid-19 is so much worse than the flu

Lenny Bernstein
May 22, 2020 at 2:05 a.m. GMT+2

Researchers who examined the lungs of patients killed by covid-19 found evidence that it attacks the lining of blood vessels there, a critical difference from the lungs of people who died of the flu, according to a report published Thursday in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Critical parts of the lungs of patients infected with the novel coronavirus also suffered many microscopic blood clots and appeared to respond to the attack by growing tiny new blood vessels, the researchers reported.

The observations in a small number of autopsied lungs buttress reports from physicians treating covid-19 patients. Doctors have described widespread damage to blood vessels and the presence of blood clots that would not be expected in a respiratory disease.

“What’s different about covid-19 is the lungs don’t get stiff or injured or destroyed before there’s hypoxia,” the medical term for oxygen deprivation, said Steven J. Mentzer, a professor of surgery at Harvard Medical School and part of the team that wrote the report. “For whatever reason, there is a vascular phase” in addition to damage more commonly associated with viral diseases such as the flu, he said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/m ... story.html

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Placentas from COVID-19-positive pregnant women show injury

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05- ... IH9HQnBNIo
The placentas from 16 women who tested positive for COVID-19 while pregnant showed evidence of injury, according to pathological exams completed directly following birth, reports a new Northwestern Medicine study.

The type of injury seen in the placentas shows abnormal blood flow between the mothers and their babies in utero, pointing to a new complication of COVID-19. The findings, though early, could help inform how pregnant women should be clinically monitored during the pandemic.

The study was published today (May 22) in the journal American Journal of Clinical Pathology. It is the largest study to examine the health of placentas in women who tested positive for COVID-19.

"Most of these babies were delivered full-term after otherwise normal pregnancies, so you wouldn't expect to find anything wrong with the placentas, but this virus appears to be inducing some injury in the placenta," said senior author Dr. Jeffrey Goldstein, assistant professor of pathology at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and a Northwestern Medicine pathologist. "It doesn't appear to be inducing negative outcomes in live-born infants, based on our limited data, but it does validate the idea that women with COVID should be monitored more closely."
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Scientists vs politicians: the reality check for ‘warp speed’ vaccine research

https://www.ft.com/content/1467b1da-28a ... f4b68484c3
The race for a vaccine appeared to be picking up pace this week when Moderna, a Boston-based biotech company, unveiled early positive results for its potential vaccine in a small trial — and AstraZeneca said it could have the first doses of another vaccine delivered by October if trials are successful.

The announcements pleased politicians trying to offer hope to citizens desperate to leave lockdowns and investors eager for economic activity to return.

But many scientists feel a duty to dampen the enthusiasm. They say a vaccine could take much longer because little is known about the disease and how bodies will react to attempts at immunisation. In fact, some warn we may never create a vaccine for Covid-19.

Soumya Swaminathan, chief scientist for the World Health Organization, believes an optimistic scenario is a vaccine produced in the “tens of millions” next year, which would be mainly distributed to healthcare workers, and far larger volumes in 2022. To inoculate the world and defeat Covid-19 could take four to five years, she says.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Greg Miller
@gregpmiller

A thread on our in-depth story about how Europe travel ban backfired -- caused a flood of new cases, and came too late to stop US epidemic.

w/@jdawsey1 @byaaroncdavis
washingtonpost.com/world/national…

Trump botched Oval address announcing Europe travel restrictions, leading many US citizens to believe they were about to be locked out of country. Air travel surged – from 30K on 3/11 to 45K on 3/12. Many carried infection, reentered country w/ no medical checks.

As Trump spoke from Oval, panic swept thru United Flight 989 departing Dulles. Passengers demanded to get off, fearing they would be barred from return to US. Nearly every American on the Frankfurt flight deplaned.

One flight attendant got off plane for first time in 21 yrs.

Trump blamed Kushner for Oval debacle. Kushner helped draft speech and wouldn’t share copy with DHS, HHS, CDC or any other agency that had to execute order.

Administration spent hours issuing tweets and statements to fix Trump errors.

Dep NSA Matt Pottinger & others pushed in Feb. to close off travel from Europe, saying once virus got there it would go “whoosh.” But he was blocked by Mnuchin and others. Infected travelers flowed in for weeks.

Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker lashed out at Trump on Twitter as O’Hare lines exploded. Feds need to get “s@#t together”. WH official called minutes later. He offered no help with crisis -- just berated the gov for insulting president.

Jack Siebert, NYU student studying in Madrid, caught covid in Spain with temps of 104 degrees. After Trump oval speech, hi parent raced to get him flight home. He spent 5 hrs in crowded lines at O’Hare. CDC screeners just took his temp and waived him thru.

Trump keeps claiming he alone blocked travel from China.

In reality, US airlines cut off flights before WH acted. United told WH it was about to do same but would hold off to let WH take credit. All before China ban.

Trump claims blocking China travel saved million-plus lives. But covid strains that killed most Americans came from Europe. WH let travel continue weeks after Italy outbreak. Troubled Trump speech/policy caused more covid to flood in.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Tomorrow's NYT Front Page:

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

kate520

Post by kate520 »

:crying:
Dear God, I never ever thought I’d see anything like this in my lifetime. I’m overwhelmed with grief and sadness every day for our country & my fellow man, and it’s getting worse.

Bless The Times for the giving an identity to each.

~
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

So, while Trump was busy hitting the links today, the "FAKE NEWS" NYT was assembling their Sunday paper, on Memorial Day weekend. 1,000 names that represents 1% of nearly 100,000 COVID19 deaths.

Let's see him take a twitter swipe at that.

(I'm guessing he won't)

kate520

Post by kate520 »

I’m betting he will, neon. He’s not anywhere near a normal human being. He’s lost all control of his worst impulses. He won’t be able to stop himself.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Trump is ruled by deep down shame, like all Narcissists. He will swipe back at the NYT on order to take back the alpha position if only in his own mind. He absolutely has no choice. He will not be able to stop himself. If they try and stop him, the fear inside him at seeming weak will build and build till he wont be able to think about anything else.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy »

1. 1,000 crisis actors,
2. 1,000 ‘flu deaths,
3. Fake News.

ArthurWankspittle

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

Grumpy Old Guy wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:57 am
1. 1,000 crisis actors,
2. 1,000 ‘flu deaths,
3. Fake News.
4. Chinese made underpants?
Trump appoints Incitatus to lead corona virus response.
#KingDonaldsPlague

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy »

ArthurWankspittle wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:32 am
Grumpy Old Guy wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:57 am
:snippity:
4. Chinese made underpants?
That sounds reasonable.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Looking at the top 10 countries for new daily deaths yesterday finds four Latin American nations, 2 from southern Asia and only two from Europe.
ScreenHunter_237 May. 24 11.54.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr Brolin

Post by Mr Brolin »

One thinks it is remarkably safe to say that some of those numbers are fundamentally under-reported

Russian numbers are an outright lie.

India and Bangladesh numbers probably reflect only hospital numbers, no way on Gods green earth this is representative of countrywide numbers considering the realities of disease and mortality in the mass of the country.

Saudi...doubt the numbers are accurate reflections of the mortality rates from the 3rd world guest worker populations such as Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi considering the generally appalling and cramped compounds they are ghetto'd into.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I'm sure Africa is getting clobbered as well, but since Pneumonia is the leading cause of death in Africa anyway, and they are dealing with a full blown food crises due to Locusts and other stuff, I imagine they really don't have the headspace to be accurately reporting this disease in particular.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

Return to “Coronavirus”