Paid Sick Leave

Addie

Paid Sick Leave

Post by Addie » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:19 pm

[link]Village Voice,http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninsca ... _today.php[/link]

New York City's Paid Sick Leave Law Kicks In Today

New York City workers can begin using their paid sick leave today, as part of a measure originally passed by the city council in 2013 over the veto threats of former mayor Michael Bloomberg.

The new law got extra attention earlier this year when it was expanded, as one of the first bills signed by Mayor Bill de Blasio, to cover a much broader swath of businesses. As passed under Bloomberg, the law only covered businesses with 20 or more employees. The new version applies to businesses with five or more employees and also includes the manufacturing sector, some portions of which had been exempted under the old language.

Employees accrue one hour of paid leave for every 15 hours on the job, up to a maximum of 40 hours per year. The formula for accounting for the hours caused some hand wringing among the city's businesses that worried that it might create difficult bookkeeping requirements.
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

ObjectiveDoubter

Paid Sick Leave

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:02 pm

[link]Village Voice,http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninsca ... _today.php[/link]

New York City's Paid Sick Leave Law Kicks In Today

New York City workers can begin using their paid sick leave today, as part of a measure originally passed by the city council in 2013 over the veto threats of former mayor Michael Bloomberg.

The new law got extra attention earlier this year when it was expanded, as one of the first bills signed by Mayor Bill de Blasio, to cover a much broader swath of businesses. As passed under Bloomberg, the law only covered businesses with 20 or more employees. The new version applies to businesses with five or more employees and also includes the manufacturing sector, some portions of which had been exempted under the old language.

Employees accrue one hour of paid leave for every 15 hours on the job, up to a maximum of 40 hours per year. The formula for accounting for the hours caused some hand wringing among the city's businesses that worried that it might create difficult bookkeeping requirements.It's incredible that a law is required for this. The idea that an employer would discourage employees -- most of whom live check to check -- from staying home when sick, is so short-sighted.

ZekeB

Paid Sick Leave

Post by ZekeB » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:25 pm

I don't want a sick coworker anywhere near me. It's just that simple.
Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Northland10

Paid Sick Leave

Post by Northland10 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:40 pm

I don't want a sick coworker anywhere near me. It's just that simple.I remember when we had an outbreak of a flu strain a while back, the management at my day job were pleading for staff to stay home if they were sick. It does not help the productivity of the business if you at work and make the rest of the staff sick. In addition, by being at work, you take longer to heal and your own productivity is down for a longer period then just being out a couple of days.I never understood why some managers/owners seem to completely miss that simple concept. Maybe they have a very short term outlook and see their workers as just a replaceable machine cog. They fail to see that, while at a quick glance, paid sick time is an expense, the longer term productivity is enhanced leading to increased revenue (not to mention better quality, which keeps customers as customers).
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Foggy

Paid Sick Leave

Post by Foggy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:18 am

If you were good conservative god-fearin' Murikans, you wouldn't get sick. :-
Hopefully, this will blossom into a snowball.

Somerset

Paid Sick Leave

Post by Somerset » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:47 am

I don't want a sick coworker anywhere near me. It's just that simple.I remember when we had an outbreak of a flu strain a while back, the management at my day job were pleading for staff to stay home if they were sick. It does not help the productivity of the business if you at work and make the rest of the staff sick. In addition, by being at work, you take longer to heal and your own productivity is down for a longer period then just being out a couple of days.I never understood why some managers/owners seem to completely miss that simple concept. Maybe they have a very short term outlook and see their workers as just a replaceable machine cog. They fail to see that, while at a quick glance, paid sick time is an expense, the longer term productivity is enhanced leading to increased revenue (not to mention better quality, which keeps customers as customers).At the risk of being a little bit cynical, it's because there are some employees who treat paid sick leave as extra vacation days and abuse the system. Here in the nanny state, it's bad enough that you have to see a doctor and get a "medical certificate" in order to take a sick day (hence the term, "MC." As in, "I'll be on MC today.") At US based employers that don't require an MC and don't put strict limits on sick time, the amount of sick time taken is more than 10% for some employees. I know we'd like to think that employees are professionals, and I know that I will always treat my subordinates that way (and if they don't act that way they don't stay my subordinates very long), but there are those who will take advantage of the situation.

Tarrant

Paid Sick Leave

Post by Tarrant » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:35 am

At my work, they came up with an idea to try and reduce the sick time taken as "free vacation"...For hourly and some lower-grade salaries employees, they were given only a limited amount of sick leave (5 days a year I believe). However, any unused time at the end of the year was paid out to them as a bonus (and did not accumulate year to year).Higher-grade salaried employees (engineers, etc.) got 2 weeks of sick leave that accumulated year to year but was not paid out at the end of the year.This backfired horribly on the company, as it gave an incentive to lower-level employees to come to work sick so as to not forego the bonus. But not only would they be less productive in doing so, they would sometimes get the higher-grade employees sick - and those employees, not getting said bonus, would use their sick time, and cost the company more.A lot of companies - and I think my employer is moving in this direction in the next year or so - are moving in the direction of PTO to solve the problem. Want to treat your sick time as vacation? OK, because it IS vacation.

ZekeB

Paid Sick Leave

Post by ZekeB » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:40 am

My "company" will credit my left over sick leave to me for retirement purposes when I blow this beer, pop and hot dog stand. It may not mean anything to a 20 year-old, but when you reach about age 50 these things begin to sink in.Every company has employees who abuse sick leave, but those workers generally have faults in other areas. It hurts them in the long run.
Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

DejaMoo

Paid Sick Leave

Post by DejaMoo » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:46 pm

I don't want a sick coworker anywhere near me. It's just that simple.[link]Your Waiters Are Violently Sick While Serving You Food,http://kitchenette.jezebel.com/your-wai ... 1609379121[/link]
I've heard this bull before.

magdalen77

Paid Sick Leave

Post by magdalen77 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:43 pm

I earn 13 sick days per year. When I retire I can get a percentage of the value of all unused sick, annual (vacation) and personal time. That being said with my man having a stroke and numerous medical appointments he couldn't get to alone due to the stroke and my daddy having first pneumonia, then leukemia and now in the nursing home I've used up every bit of accumulated leave. Thank God I had/have it. My boss gets a little bitchy about it, but he just has to deal. Even more now that I've gotten approved for more leave under FMLA.

P.K.
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning.

Paid Sick Leave

Post by P.K. » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:24 pm

I earn 13 sick days per year. When I retire I can get a percentage of the value of all unused sick, annual (vacation) and personal time. That being said with my man having a stroke and numerous medical appointments he couldn't get to alone due to the stroke and my daddy having first pneumonia, then leukemia and now in the nursing home I've used up every bit of accumulated leave. Thank God I had/have it. My boss gets a little bitchy about it, but he just has to deal. Even more now that I've gotten approved for more leave under FMLA.We get 5 sick days a year that do not carry over. So of course everyone uses all of their sick days, even if it's just for "sick of working" aka mental health day.We're in California, so we have State Disability Insurance available for longer illnesses, surgeries, etc. You can collect SDI benefits for up to one year, as long as you're certified by your doctor. And a few years ago California implemented a Paid Family Leave benefit, which came in quite handy when I had to take six weeks off last year for Mr. K's surgery. The only problem was the process took so long that I was back to work before I got any money.
IANALBIPOOTV - I am not a lawyer, but I've played one on TV. In fact, IANA (fill in the blank) but chances are I've played on on TV.

SueDB

Paid Sick Leave

Post by SueDB » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:19 am

What really sucks is you have to have money to hold you over until you get money. :shock: :-?
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

magdalen77

Paid Sick Leave

Post by magdalen77 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:04 am

I earn 13 sick days per year. When I retire I can get a percentage of the value of all unused sick, annual (vacation) and personal time. That being said with my man having a stroke and numerous medical appointments he couldn't get to alone due to the stroke and my daddy having first pneumonia, then leukemia and now in the nursing home I've used up every bit of accumulated leave. Thank God I had/have it. My boss gets a little bitchy about it, but he just has to deal. Even more now that I've gotten approved for more leave under FMLA.We get 5 sick days a year that do not carry over. So of course everyone uses all of their sick days, even if it's just for "sick of working" aka mental health day.We're in California, so we have State Disability Insurance available for longer illnesses, surgeries, etc. You can collect SDI benefits for up to one year, as long as you're certified by your doctor. And a few years ago California implemented a Paid Family Leave benefit, which came in quite handy when I had to take six weeks off last year for Mr. K's surgery. The only problem was the process took so long that I was back to work before I got any money.Yeah, that's what I got approved for, finally. If worst comes to worst and I buzz through all of my anticipated leave as well I can get leave donations and thankfully my agency is full of many nice people who routinely donate their excess leave to others in need.

Addie

Re: Paid Sick Leave

Post by Addie » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:22 am

Associated Press
New Jersey's paid sick leave law goes into effect ...

The measure requiring employers to provide one hour of sick leave for every 30 hours worked took effect Monday. Democratic Gov. Phil Murphy signed the measure into law in May.

Under the law workers may earn and carry forward up to 40 hours of sick leave per year.

The new law also gives New Jersey a statewide paid-sick-leave policy, superseding similar provisions enacted in 13 towns and cities.

Lawmakers and Murphy have said 1.2 million workers, many in food and personal-care services, would benefit from the new law.

New Jersey becomes the 10th state along with the District of Columbia to enact sick-leave legislation.

Return to “Unions & Labor Issues”