2014 LA-06: Congressman Bill Cassidy (R) Seeking Election To US Senate

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:18 pm

Former Louisiana Gov. Edwin Edwards (D) announced Monday he will enter the race to replace Rep. Bill Cassidy (R) in the state's 6th Congressional District. Edwards, the 86-year-old who served an eight-year prison sentence after leaving office, told a crowd in the state he would reenter the political fray despite all the reasons against it. He was released from prison in 2011 after being convicted of racketeering charges in 2001, years after he had already left office. He is seeking the seat because Cassidy is giving it up to run for Senate against Sen. Mary Landrieu (D). The district is heavily Republican. Seven Republicans are already vying for the seat, while Richard Dean Lieberman is the only Democrat in the race. [/break1]com/blogs/ballot-box/house-races/200992-edwin-edwards-announces-house-bid-in-la]http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/hou ... -bid-in-laLouisiana politics never cease to amaze me.

SPen

Post by SPen » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:54 pm

And the craziest thing is that Edwards is almost a lock to overperform a Generic Democrat in the district. He is likely to lose, but he may be able to boost turnout enough to have a positive impact on Landrieu's race at the top of the ticket.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:58 am

[link]WaPo,http://www.washingtonpost.com/postevery ... -hopefuls/[/link]

The most frightening candidate I’ve met in seven years interviewing congressional hopefuls

As a House analyst for the nonpartisan Cook Political Report, I’ve personally interviewed over 300 congressional candidates over the course of seven years, both to get to know them and evaluate their chances of winning. I’ve been impressed by just as many Republicans as Democrats, and underwhelmed by equal numbers, too. Most are accustomed to tough questions.

But never have I met any candidate quite as frightening or fact-averse as Louisiana state Rep. Lenar Whitney, 55, who visited my office last Wednesday. It’s tough to decide which party’s worst nightmare she would be. ...

Whitney’s brand of rhetoric obviously resonates with some very conservative Louisiana voters who view President Obama and the Environmental Protection Agency as big-city elitists directly attacking the state’s energy industry and their own way of life. And she would hardly be the first “climate denier” elected to Congress. But it’s not unreasonable to expect candidates to explain how they arrived at their positions, and when I pressed Whitney repeatedly for the source of her claim that the earth is getting colder, she froze and was unable to cite a single scientist, journal or news source to back up her beliefs.

To change the subject, I asked whether she believed Obama was born in the United States. When she replied that it was a matter of some controversy, her two campaign consultants quickly whisked her out of the room, accusing me of conducting a “Palin-style interview.”

Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:52 pm

Mary Landrieu Falls to Bill Cassidy in Louisiana Runoff Senate Republicans expanded their majority in the upcoming Congress on Saturday when Republican Rep. Bill Cassidy defeated Democratic Sen. Mary Landrieu in a runoff election. The Associated Press called the race for Cassidy, who enjoyed substantial help from outside groups determined to knock off another Democratic incumbent senator this election cycle. Democrats, however, had largely given up on Landrieu once it became clear they no longer would retain control of the Senate. After the November 4 primary, liberal groups aired just 100 television ads in support of the three-term senator, whereas conservative groups aired 6,000, according to the Center for Public Integrity. Cassidy stuck to the GOP's successful strategy of tying Landrieu with President Barack Obama in a state Obama lost by 17 points in his 2012 re-election. He repeatedly said she voted with the president 97 percent of the time and painted her as the "deciding" vote for the Affordable Care Act. <SNIP>http://www.nbcnews.c...-runoff-n262801Landrieu loses reelection bid in Louisiana to Republican challenger Cassidyhttp://www.foxnews.c...la-senate-race/ Fixed this post and also posted tohttp://thefogbow.com/forum/topic/5408-2014-us-senate-louisiana/?p=599648

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Roboe

Post by Roboe » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:03 am

Cassidy stuck to the GOP's successful strategy of tying Landrieu with President Barack Obama in a state Obama lost by 17 points in his 2012 re-election. He repeatedly said she voted with the president 97 percent of the time and painted her as the "deciding" vote for the Affordable Care Act.

Well duh. Every single 'aye'-vote was deciding, given the Republican threat of filibuster.

Highlands

Post by Highlands » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:29 am

Cassidy stuck to the GOP's successful strategy of tying Landrieu with President Barack Obama in a state Obama lost by 17 points in his 2012 re-election. He repeatedly said she voted with the president 97 percent of the time and painted her as the "deciding" vote for the Affordable Care Act.

Well, how dare Mary Landrieu vote to allow tens of millions of people to obtain health insurance. The horror.

If you took out all of the blood vessels in your body and lined them up, you would be dead. #science

Return to “U.S. House of Representatives”