2015 Governor: Louisiana

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:49 pm

Sen. David Vitter announced on Tuesday morning that he will run for governor of Louisiana in 2015.“I believe that as our next governor I can have a bigger impact addressing the unique challenges and opportunities that we face in Louisiana,” Vitter said in a Youtube video launching his gubernatorial run. Along with the 2.5-minute video, Vitter also unveiled a new website touting his credentials and soliciting contributions to his campaign.[/break1]politico.com/story/2014/01/david-vitter-louisiana-governor-2015-102426.html?hp=l4]http://www.politico.com/story/2014/01/d ... html?hp=l4I find myself hoping Vitter is successful. I rather he be in a position to phuck up only Louisiana instead of everyone else.

CJ Roberts

Post by CJ Roberts » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:10 pm

I think we all know he has credentials in soliciting.

You're the kind of lawyer guilty people hire.

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:36 pm

I think we all know he has credentials in soliciting. :rimshot:looking forward to the campain.http://www.offrampbums.com/coppermine/a ... jr8s92.jpg

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:39 pm

Mimi! :lol: Is Jindal term limited? What's his next job?

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:48 am

Wonkette link [/break1]com/539889/nation-facing-critical-diaper-pun-shortage-as-david-vitter-announces-run-for-louisiana-luvs-er-guv#more-539889]http://wonkette.com/539889/nation-facin ... ore-539889

Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

SPen

Post by SPen » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:38 pm

Mimi! :lol: Is Jindal term limited? What's his next job?Jindal can only hope that a Republican nominee wins the presidency someday so that he can be HHS Secretary in that administration. His political career is pretty much over outside of that.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:00 pm

Mimi! :lol: Is Jindal term limited? What's his next job?Jindal can only hope that a Republican nominee wins the presidency someday so that he can be HHS Secretary in that administration. His political career is pretty much over outside of that.I respectfully disagree. Should Sen Vitter be elected Governor of Louisiana, Gov Jindal could run for the US Senate. There are no term limits for Congress so Jindal could possibly be a Senator for the rest of his life.I will admit to not having a clue why Vitter would want to give up a job that has no term limits for one that does. Then-Sen Pete Wilson did the same in 1990 and few outside of California have any clue who he is or what elective posts he held.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:21 pm

Jindal can only hope that a Republican nominee wins the presidency someday so that he can be HHS Secretary in that administration. His political career is pretty much over outside of that.I respectfully disagree. Should Sen Vitter be elected Governor of Louisiana, Gov Jindal could run for the US Senate. There are no term limits for Congress so Jindal could possibly be a Senator for the rest of his life.I will admit to not having a clue why Vitter would want to give up a job that has no term limits for one that does. Then-Sen Pete Wilson did the same in 1990 and few outside of California have any clue who he is or what elective posts he held.Based on his (lack of) popularity, maybe SPen was saying his career was over because nobody would vote for him, not because he couldn't run.

SPen

Post by SPen » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:15 am

Mimi! :lol: Is Jindal term limited? What's his next job?Jindal can only hope that a Republican nominee wins the presidency someday so that he can be HHS Secretary in that administration. His political career is pretty much over outside of that.I respectfully disagree. Should Sen Vitter be elected Governor of Louisiana, Gov Jindal could run for the US Senate. There are no term limits for Congress so Jindal could possibly be a Senator for the rest of his life.I will admit to not having a clue why Vitter would want to give up a job that has no term limits for one that does. Then-Sen Pete Wilson did the same in 1990 and few outside of California have any clue who he is or what elective posts he held.Jindal's approval rating is pretty much stuck in the 30's (with a disapproval nearly double that), so he could run for U.S. Senate but he'd get blown out. If he ran for the vacated Senate seat then he'd probably either face Mitch Landrieu, or even possibly Mary Landrieu if she happened to lose this year. He couldn't beat either of them. People all across the ideological spectrum hate what he's done with the state.As far as why Vitter would chose Governor over Senator, he doesn't have any allies in the U.S. Senate any longer. The few people who could still stomach him were all extremely pissed off when he kept derailing important bills just to get a vote on his ridiculous amendment to discontinue subsidies for Congressional staff members. He's been a joke for a long time in the Senate and he just doesn't have any support.On the other hand he has a lot of support in Louisiana. He's been supporting a lot of candidates who were elected over the last several years in hopes of remaking the state government with his own people for when he'd run for Governor some day. Now there are more people in state government that are loyal to him than Jindal or anyone else he has the opportunity to run for Governor and then manage the state how he wants without fear of the legislature rebelling against him as it did against Jindal.

mimi

Re: 2015 Governor: Louisiana

Post by mimi » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:04 pm

We talked about Vitter in the Republicans Behaving Badly thread recently, as his former mistress says that he told her to abort their love child. here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2515&p=694254&hilit=vitter#p694254

Anyway, I really didn't think it would matter to Louisiana. I mean he was reelected after all that information about him and the prostitutes and the diapers and whatever.

But this time may be different. I you can believe this new poll:
Democrat John Bel Edwards has a 20% lead over Senator David Vitter in the Louisiana Gubernatorial runoff, according to a survey released today by WVLA and JMC Analytics.

The brand new, statewide poll results confirm something that hasn't happened in 7 years: A Democratic Governor could take office in Louisiana.

Today, WVLA released a survey of 600 likely voters, conducted by JMC analytics. When asked who they’d vote for if the election were held today, 52% of people chose State Representative John Bel Edwards. 32% chose Senator David Vitter, and 16% were undecided.
more here:
http://www.brproud.com/news/local-news/ ... -wvla-poll

:P

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:51 pm

Just an FYI - This election is taking place today. It will be interesting to see the final result.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:40 pm

Returns will be coming in here; already started.

And here: Louisiana SoS

Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:46 pm

Looks like a Dem Governor and a Gooper Lt. Governor.

Early, early results
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:00 pm

28% in and he's holding a nice ten point lead. :cheer:

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:05 pm

Whoa, I think he won. There's a check mark all of a sudden next to his name.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:09 pm

:bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

Associated Press
Democrat John Bel Edwards wins Louisiana governor's race, surprise upset in conservative state

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:21 pm

What surprise?

The polling showed this result weeks ago.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:28 pm

:fiesta: :shootin: :shoot: :cheer1: :cheer: :bwaha:

Vitter's Senate seat is up for election next year. Can a Democrat be found to run and beat him for that? He seems not to be in great favor with the voters.

L00Kit

Post by L00Kit » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:31 pm

Addie wrote: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

Associated Press
Democrat John Bel Edwards wins Louisiana governor's race, surprise upset in conservative state
YAAAAAAAAAASSS!!!

:bunny: Image :bunny:

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Orlylicious » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:49 pm

Yay! Don't forget to thank Piyush. What a TEAM PLAYER! WaPo:
How Bobby Jindal might have sunk David Vitter’s campaign for governor
By David Weigel November 21 at 9:13 AM

If Sen. David Vitter (R-La.) wins today's runoff election for governor of Louisiana, it will be the second time in a month that a Republican defied public polls to walk into a state house. But it would be the first time an election clearly turned on the issue of Syrian refugees being allowed into the United States -- and it would overcome the almost unheard-of factor of an incumbent governor apparently trying to sink his own party's nominee.

In Louisiana, it's an open secret that Gov. Bobby Jindal (R-La.) concluded a years-long blood feud with Vitter by ending his presidential campaign on Tuesday.

"You can't get anyone to admit it, but it's what everyone thinks," said Julia O'Donoghue, the state politics reporter for the New Orleans Times-Picayune. "We spent two days talking about refugees and then two days talking about Jindal. Those first two days were the only ones in the runoff when John Bel [Edwards, the Democratic nominee] was on defense."
Asked if Vitter's campaign had been considered in the decision to quit the White House bid, Jindal spokesman Kyle Plotkin responded with a flat "no." But Jindal had refused to endorse Vitter, and even while he spoke about barring refugees from the state, he gave no cover whatsoever to Vitter's message -- which included a factually dodgy story of a refugee going "missing," even though he was quickly located and committed no crimes. "Republicans could lose the governor’s office because of Senator David Vitter’s badly damaged brand," Jindal strategist Curt Anderson told NBC News reporter Kasie Hunt.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... -governor/

Avatar Photo: "I will take some time off till April 27th" - O. Taitz

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:22 pm

Eric Kleefeld @EricKleefeld

Louisiana GOP expand majorities in legislature, win all statewide offices except governorship. Hmm, something wrong with a candidate? #LAGOV

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:25 pm

Vitter also says he won't run for reelection to the Senate next year.

Rick Hasen asks: "Would Dems be in better shape if Vitter *ran* for Senate reelection? "

After this gubenatorial election, I think Rick has a point.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:26 pm

Lotsa people split their votes. Governor race on left, Lt Gov on right.
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:28 am

A mostly GOP voting public rejected a bad GOP candidate and elected a Democrat. It is good to know that can happen. :)

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:39 am

How it ended up:
John Bel Edwards (D): 56.13% (646,860 votes)
David Vitter (R): 43.87% (505,564 votes)
The Lt Gov race came in almost opposite:
Melvin Holden (D): 44.62% (506,578 votes)
Billy Nungesser (R): 55.38% (628,835 votes)

Return to “Election 2015”