What are you watching on TV these days?

NotaPerson

Re: What are you watching on TV these days?

Post by NotaPerson » Sun May 13, 2018 11:56 am

Last night I watched all four episodes of "Evil Genius," a Netflix documentary about the bank robber in Erie, PA who was blown up by a bomb that had been strapped to him. Happened back in 2003. I only vaguely remember it.

A great, great story that becomes more bizarre the deeper you dig into it.

Am I being detained?

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun May 13, 2018 1:37 pm

I'm watching The Crown. I'm disappointed that I've seen no bewigged barristers nor any foxhunting scenes. I wish the Crown was more realistic!
► Show Spoiler

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun May 13, 2018 4:36 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 1:37 pm
I'm watching The Crown. I'm disappointed that I've seen no bewigged barristers nor any foxhunting scenes. I wish the Crown was more realistic!
► Show Spoiler
Wait 'til next weekend and check out the royalists going bonkers over a wedding :lol:

Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean » Sun May 13, 2018 6:30 pm

We finally got time to hang out this weekend and get caught up on a number of episodes of Finding Your Roots that we've missed.

“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun May 13, 2018 10:05 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 4:36 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 1:37 pm
► Show Spoiler
Wait 'til next weekend and check out the royalists going bonkers over a wedding :lol:
This has gotta be stinging you know who:
Chicago bishop Michael Bruce Curry to speak at royal wedding

The first African-American to have served as presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church, he has backed same-sex marriage and racial reconciliation.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun May 13, 2018 10:44 pm

"Evil Genius" sounds interesting. I remember the event.

And I think I've given up on "Designated Survivor" on ABC. I watch almost nothing on the regular channels. I was enjoying it until 45 was elected. It's just become too jarring to watch a caring, intelligent man as president, considering what we now have. I missed three episodes while we were gone and haven't picked it up again.

vic

Post by vic » Wed May 16, 2018 10:08 pm

More like what I'm trying to watch...

One of the few programs I watch on network TV these days is Lucifer. Which has just been canceled, thank you very much.

But right now, what I've been trying to watch is episode 23 of the current season. It aired May 7, when there was a 3-hour power outage in my neighborhood. The outage also affected the start of Elementary, my favorite show. When I checked in the morning, the DVR recorded all but the first 10 minutes of Elementary; however it was available via DirecTV on Demand.

I then checked for Lucifer. While older episodes were available on demand, the one I missed wasn't. I thought that perhaps Fox might wait for the next episode to air before releasing the previous one, so I waited until today to check (I recorded, but didn't watch, the May 14 episode). And when I checked, all the episodes, including the most recent one, where available - except for the May 7 one :madguy: .

I decided to go to my DirecTV app on my phone to see if it was there. And it was. But for some reason, while 23 of the episodes this season were available for free, the one I missed wasn't.

And yes, I paid the $2.99 to see it.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Thu May 17, 2018 7:46 am

AndyinPA wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 10:44 pm
"Evil Genius" sounds interesting. I remember the event.

And I think I've given up on "Designated Survivor" on ABC. I watch almost nothing on the regular channels. I was enjoying it until 45 was elected. It's just become too jarring to watch a caring, intelligent man as president, considering what we now have. I missed three episodes while we were gone and haven't picked it up again.
Evil Genius totally worth the watch if you like crime dramas and whodunits. This gives you an inside look at the machinations of some really inept criminals, and the efforts of law enforcement to get evidence for a conviction.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Thu May 17, 2018 8:00 am

vic wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:08 pm
More like what I'm trying to watch...

One of the few programs I watch on network TV these days is Lucifer. Which has just been canceled, thank you very much.

But right now, what I've been trying to watch is episode 23 of the current season. It aired May 7, when there was a 3-hour power outage in my neighborhood. The outage also affected the start of Elementary, my favorite show. When I checked in the morning, the DVR recorded all but the first 10 minutes of Elementary; however it was available via DirecTV on Demand.

I then checked for Lucifer. While older episodes were available on demand, the one I missed wasn't. I thought that perhaps Fox might wait for the next episode to air before releasing the previous one, so I waited until today to check (I recorded, but didn't watch, the May 14 episode). And when I checked, all the episodes, including the most recent one, where available - except for the May 7 one :madguy: .

I decided to go to my DirecTV app on my phone to see if it was there. And it was. But for some reason, while 23 of the episodes this season were available for free, the one I missed wasn't.

And yes, I paid the $2.99 to see it.
That's Fox for you. And FX, FXX, FXX Premium, et al. And they aren't alone. AMC is bad about it too.

I like On Demand. That's the way TV is supposed to be. Back in the rabbit ears days, if a neighbor came over, or the phone rang during a show, you lost that episode. You may or may not get to see it in rerun later in the year. So, you learn pretty early on not to care about TV shows. They come and they go, and if you miss some, no big deal.

Then On Demand happens, and now you can watch a show when you want to watch it. If you need to pause it, you can. Totally awesome.

Except some of the channels are slow adopters, or unhappy with the transition. Fox especially. They have messed with popular shows appearance On Demand since the beginning. Sometimes it would be listed the next day after broadcast, and other times it wouldn't show up for two weeks. You never knew. It was their not-so-subtle way to get you to view during the broadcast. They wanted loyalty for the viewers, and but offered none to those of us that wanted to time shift.

Too bad for them. I quit watching Fox/FX when Sons of Anarchy finished. I've quit AMC as well. I finished Mad Men and Breaking Bad on Netflix on my schedule at my pace long after the shows were off the air. If it weren't for a few things Mrs wants off cable, I would be happy with just Netflix.

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost » Fri May 18, 2018 5:13 am

I tried searching to no avail...

Is anybody watching Atlanta? Don't judge the young Donald Glover by that recent viral video - which I thought was quite good, flawed maybe but taking risks- Atlanta's first season was stellar, an amazingly fresh, down-to-earth perspective, both gritty and humorous and biting...Maybe a little under the radar but definitely garnered some well-deserved commendations. The second season is great, maybe a little less humor than the first one, but again, I love the freedom he is given to take risks and play around...Kinda a silly observation I guess, but in the realm of comedians (and Glover is a legit standup also) who have been given tv shows recently "genre", Atlanta ranks with Louie but since, well, hmmm....Watch Atlanta...

As way of caveat lector, the only TV-type stuff I mostly consume is comedy or comedy-adjacent (like Louie or Atlanta or Maron or Master of None....et al)
For example, I really got into The Good Place recently...

Either give me more wine or leave me alone. - Rumi

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri May 18, 2018 7:05 pm

Wow. What a nefarious collection of characters. :eek2:
NotaPerson wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 11:56 am
Last night I watched all four episodes of "Evil Genius," a Netflix documentary about the bank robber in Erie, PA who was blown up by a bomb that had been strapped to him. Happened back in 2003. I only vaguely remember it.

A great, great story that becomes more bizarre the deeper you dig into it.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sat May 19, 2018 1:13 am

I watch reruns (15 years old) of BOSTON LEGAL and wish I was as smart as Alan Shore or any of the other lawyers in the show.

This show featured a parade of really good performances, really beautiful actresses, serious legal issues, and truly excellent writing. How I miss it!

Also watching the new Roseanne. For a pro-Trump producer, Roseanne is hitting the issues - lack of insurance coverage, high prices of pharma, underemployment, anti-Arab bigotry, etc.

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Sat May 19, 2018 8:21 am

HST's Ghost wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 5:13 am

For example, I really got into The Good Place recently...
Love the Good Place!

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Sat May 19, 2018 9:33 am

The Royal Wedding. To me, utterly amazing and fabulous.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat May 19, 2018 10:03 am

RoadScholar wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 9:33 am
I watched Charles and Diana. It was fabulous. Then reality turned ugly, and I've been disillusioned ever since. :)

qbawl

Post by qbawl » Sat May 19, 2018 10:08 am

RoadScholar wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 9:33 am
Watched it on the treadmill at PF this morning. Loved the horses and the limos. As I was dealing with my aches and pains I was totally impressed with the Queen and Phillips (especially his) mobility which frankly appears damned site better than mine.

For me the whole thing was a message of hope and diversity that I sometimes loose sight of in day to day living. Apparently the Queen's Chaplain is a Lady of color. The road is long and twisty but the direction tends toward a better more accepting world. Of course at my age (71) the chances are I won't see great improvements but I do have hope for the grand babies.

Oh and you just had to love the mini shoving match of the Princess Bridesmaids during the recessional.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat May 19, 2018 10:14 am

Does Trump know that an African-American Episcopalian leader from Chicago was invited? Wasn't he going to speak?

qbawl

Post by qbawl » Sat May 19, 2018 10:31 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 10:14 am
Does Trump know that an African-American Episcopalian leader from Chicago was invited? Wasn't he going to speak?
Not if Harry had anything to say about it. And of course Grandma also.
To be fair no politicians were invited. At least not in an official capacity, so there was cover.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat May 19, 2018 10:41 am

So if Trump had been invited (gaaaagh) and had been asked to speak (OMG) he probably would have launched into a diatribe about the dangers of miscegenation.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat May 19, 2018 11:00 am

qbawl wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 10:31 am
pipistrelle wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 10:14 am
Not if Harry had anything to say about it. And of course Grandma also.
To be fair no politicians were invited. At least not in an official capacity, so there was cover.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/19/europe/m ... index.html
Black bishop delivers passion and soul in powerful royal wedding address

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat May 19, 2018 12:37 pm

My black friends are laughing at the idea that Bishop Murray's sermon was "fiery" or "impassioned". One said, "Come to church with me and I'll show you impassioned." :shock:

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat May 19, 2018 1:26 pm

Foggy wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 12:37 pm
My black friends are laughing at the idea that Bishop Murray's sermon was "fiery" or "impassioned". One said, "Come to church with me and I'll show you impassioned." :shock:
Very true.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun May 20, 2018 1:27 pm

I tried watching "Evil Genius" yesterday, but it wasn't loading, so I decided to start watching "Safe" with Michael C. Hall instead. Good choice. I've watched three of the eight hours.

Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean » Sun May 20, 2018 5:11 pm

Enjoyed Evil Genius - although it's slow in parts with lots of lingering visuals.

Currently watching Indy qualifying. Patrick just ran a 228 :clap: and is in first position.

“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun May 20, 2018 8:12 pm

I finished "Safe" today on Netflix. First rate, and I would highly recommend it. :thumbs:

Return to “The Lounge”