What are you watching on TV these days?

PaulG

Re: What are you watching on TV these days?

Post by PaulG » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:48 pm

Addie wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:45 pm
New York Times
Belgium Apologizes for Kidnapping Children From African Colonies

BRUSSELS — Belgium apologized on Thursday for the kidnapping, segregation, deportation and forced adoption of thousands of children born to mixed-race couples during its colonial rule of Burundi, Congo and Rwanda.

The apology is the first time that Belgium has recognized any responsibility for what historians say was the immense harm the country inflicted on the Central African nations, which it colonized for eight decades. Prime Minister Charles Michel offered the apology on Thursday afternoon in front of a plenary session of Parliament, which was attended by dozens of people of mixed race in the visitors gallery.

“Throughout Belgian colonial Africa, a system of targeted segregation of métis and their families was maintained by the Belgian state and acts were committed that violated the fundamental rights of peoples,” he said, using the term for mixed-race people.
I was reading about that. I think the BBC did a story (last night?). I somehow got on to RCMA and the wiki article about it. Originally it was King Leopold's museum of Africa, but was closed and redone. It looks like Belgium has been trying to make amends in recent years.

Royal Museum for Central Africa
The Guardian reported in July 2002 that, after initial outrage by Belgian historians over King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild, the state-funded museum would finance an investigation into Hochschild's allegations. The resulting more modern exhibition "The Memory of Congo" (February–October 2005), tried to tell the story of the Congo Free State before it became a Belgian colony and a less one-sided view of the Belgian colonial era.[2] The exhibition was praised by the international press, with French newspaper Le Monde claiming that "the museum has done better than revisit a particularly stormy page in history...[it] has pushed the public to join it in looking into the reality of colonialism."
Belgium. You think it's all waffles and World Court, but there is a lot going on.

PaulG

Post by PaulG » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:41 pm

Manhunt, starring Martin Clunes (Doc Martin). Excellent. A painstaking reconstruction of the murder investigation into the murder of Amélie Delagrange. Clunes plays DCI Colin Sutton heading the investigation. I loved it.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:47 pm

True dat. May they apologize, sooner or later, for chopping off people's hands. :cantlook:
PaulG wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:48 pm
Belgium. You think it's all waffles and World Court, but there is a lot going on.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:57 pm

I've started watching the Spanish crime drama Bitter Daisies* on Netflix. Looks pretty good from the little I've seen of it. Also too, watching Tijuana and liking it. Good camera work and not soapy.

ETA: *NSFW or children

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Orlylicious » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:09 pm

Here we go, tonight is GAME OF THRONES!

Food delivery companies are giving free delivery, with Postmates use code DRAGONMODE "to feed the beast within from the comfort of your castle".

Xfinity and other providers are giving free HBO today so people can watch (there's also been a Watchathon with all the pay channels free, great to catch up on some shows).
On Sunday, HBO’s hit drama “Game of Thrones” will begin its eighth and final season.

The show’s CGI dragons and epic battle scenes don’t come cheap. Season eight will be the most expensive one yet, with episodes estimated to cost a whopping $15 million each, Variety reports. (A spokesperson for HBO says that the company does not confirm budget figures.)

The final season will feature some of the longest episodes in the series as well. The first two will only last about an hour each, but the final four are expected to run 80 minutes per episode.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/12/how-muc ... rones.html

Avatar Photo: Current Logo for Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:24 pm

I am ready. HBO has been showing one season a day, starting last Monday. The first few seasons I loosely watched the first few days, but starting on Thursday (Season Four) since I was sick, I've been watching nearly all of it. Yesterday is the first day I watched the entire ten hours, and I was pretty Game of Thrones numb by the end of about eight episodes, but I hung in there. This afternoon, I'll start watching Season Seven. Thankfully, it's only five episodes!

PaulG

Post by PaulG » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:23 pm

"The Tick". Season 2. Now available.

Also, "Corner Gas". Comedy from Canada, a bit hit or miss, but sometimes I just laugh myself sick. A bit like Red Green. The series ran for years in the oughts, then movies and now, apparently, a cartoon version.

Oh and Jonny Harris (who plays Crabtree on Murdoch) has a series called "Still Standing" where he visits towns in Canada that are just hanging on and does a standup routine for them. It's kind of fun.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:21 pm

Tick Season 1 was underrated and ignored probably because it’s hidden on Amazon’s streaming service. Think Don Quixote but for superheroes.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:15 pm

PaulG wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:23 pm
"The Tick". Season 2. Now available.

Also, "Corner Gas". Comedy from Canada, a bit hit or miss, but sometimes I just laugh myself sick. A bit like Red Green. The series ran for years in the oughts, then movies and now, apparently, a cartoon version.

Oh and Jonny Harris (who plays Crabtree on Murdoch) has a series called "Still Standing" where he visits towns in Canada that are just hanging on and does a standup routine for them. It's kind of fun.
“All I want is world peace and a socket set” is part of our marital lexicon, thanks to Red Green, as is referring to duct tape as the handyman’s secret weapon.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:18 am

I almost never check this thread because it has been a very long time since I have watched a scripted series (beyond a single episode). I am now watching the limited series Fosse Verdon on FX, starring Sam Rockwell and Michele Williams. Some people may have picked up on my fondness for Fosse's style given my occasional posting of YouTube videos from his work.

I am really liking William's portrayal of Gwen Verdon.

As for the Red Green comment above, that was my weekly show when I lived up north.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:20 am

Northland10 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:18 am
I almost never check this thread because it has been a very long time since I have watched a scripted series (beyond a single episode). I am now watching the limited series Fosse Verdon on FX, starring Sam Rockwell and Michele Williams. Some people may have picked up on my fondness for Fosse's style given my occasional posting of YouTube videos from his work.

I am really liking William's portrayal of Gwen Verdon.

As for the Red Green comment above, that was my weekly show when I lived up north.
Hubby and I have a date to catch up on this series. I love Sam Rockwell's character range. "All That Jazz", a movie about Fosse and Verdon, is excellent also.
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:03 am

Rewatched Low Winter Sun on Amazon Prime. I'll never understand why this gritty Detroit cop show only got one season.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:23 pm

Dame Winifred Mary Beard, DBE, FSA, FBA Professor of Classics at the University of Cambridge.

Her TV shows about 1st century Rome are on Youtube. She goes by just "Mary Beard".

She emphasises the common people of Rome. I'm learning a lot.

Did you know that in the City of Rome there is a high hill that is in fact a rubbish dump full of smashed amphora?
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:13 pm

:lol: This is cute.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:43 pm

:rotflmao:

Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:57 pm

Watched The Highwaymen on a suggestion from a family member - partly based on the fact that they remember that for a few years I owned a nicely maintained 5-window '33 Ford Deluxe with those weird doors. I cringed at what they did to them in some of the scenes!

The fact that I like both Harrelson and Costner also counts.

Highly recommended.
“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:53 pm

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:19 pm

:rotflmao:

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:24 pm

Bosch :thumbs:

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:29 pm

Cuckoo on Netflix. Hilarious! Have I said that already? Can't remember.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:38 pm

A Discovery of Witches on AMC. I enjoyed reading the All Souls trilogy it's based on, (I share a last name with the author, but no relation) and so far it's not a bad adaptation.
Image Image Image Image Image

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:37 pm

Addie wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:24 pm
:thumbs: :thumbs:
I love the theme music.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Orlylicious » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:18 am

TY RV! Game of Phones was hilarious! Went back to Season 7 to reconnect, now I've started the first two Season 8 episodes.

I love cheesy reality shows so The Bachelor with the virgin was fun, he's hot, haven't gotten to the end yet but this guy Steve does spoilers that are hilarious. ABC hates him, he knows the winners before they start airing :lol: http://realitysteve.com/

New episodes of "Mama June: From Not To Hot" are running, I need to catch up and post in her topic, I know everybody on Fogbow is deeply interested in Mama, Boo Boo, Pumpkin and Sugar Bear. Spoiler below:
► Show Spoiler
We joined up (it's just $8.99 a month, we'll keep it for a few months) BroadwayHD.com, it's great! Tons of musicals and plays from Broadway, London and the road. Classics to fairly new shows (King and I, Memphis and lots of others are there along with classics like Cats and Les Miz). If you like theatre, check it out, we've really enjoyed it. https://www.broadwayhd.com
Avatar Photo: Current Logo for Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

MRich

Post by MRich » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:16 pm

Orlylicious wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:18 am
We joined up (it's just $8.99 a month, we'll keep it for a few months) BroadwayHD.com, it's great! Tons of musicals and plays from Broadway, London and the road. Classics to fairly new shows (King and I, Memphis and lots of others are there along with classics like Cats and Les Miz). If you like theatre, check it out, we've really enjoyed it. https://www.broadwayhd.com
Oh, this looks great! Thank you!

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:01 pm

I happen to be reading Dark Sacred Night, Kate, the second Renee Ballard book, where she works with Bosch on the Daisy case in later years. This season is interesting from that perspective. But the whole opioid mill criminal system is blowing me away. How the fuck on earth was this allowed to even happen? :blackeye:
kate520 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:37 pm
Addie wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:24 pm
:thumbs: :thumbs:
I love the theme music.

Return to “The Lounge”