COPS behaving badly

Volkonski
Verified:

COPS behaving badly

Post by Volkonski »

The "Goon Squad" was sentenced on state charges today.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/missis ... index.html
All of the state sentences are to run concurrently with their federal sentences.

Brett McAlpin: State court sentenced him to 20 years after federal court gave him 27 1/4 years in prison.
Jeffrey Middleton: State court sentenced him to 20 years after federal court gave him 17 1/2 years.
Daniel Opdyke: State court sentenced him to 20 years after federal court gave him 17 1/2 years.
Christian Dedmon: State court sentenced him to 25 years after federal court gave him 40 years.
Hunter Elward: State court sentenced him to 45 years after federal court gave him 20 years.
Joshua Hartfield: State court sentenced him to 15 years after federal court gave him 10 years
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

COPS behaving badly

Post by raison de arizona »

Well, at least complicit. I dislike the pejorative, but I appreciate the sentiment.
Molly Ploofkins™ @Mollyploofkins wrote: Cops become pigs when they do photo ops with criminal defendants...
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

COPS behaving badly

Post by AndyinPA »

Thugs.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona

COPS behaving badly

PatriotTakes 🇺🇸 @patriottakes wrote: Law enforcement posing with someone starting their criminal trial Monday
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

COPS behaving badly

Post by AndyinPA »

Clueless. :mad:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

COPS behaving badly

Post by zekeb »

There's a reason why a lot of Lima Echos wouldn't mind working in a fascist state.
Largo al factotum.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

COPS behaving badly

Post by Ben-Prime »

That's a question to ask the local LE union, right?

"What's the union's stance on police officers posing with folks as smiling well-wishers to indicted white collar criminals?"
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

Woman breaks her neck inside St. Clair County Jail, isn't taken to the hospital for days

WXYZ-TV Detroit | Channel 7
5 Apr 2024

Lisa Brown takes full responsibility for why she ended up briefly behind bars. But now she says a 20-day jail sentence has left her with a life sentence of partial paralysis and disability.

Suranis

COPS behaving badly

Post by Suranis »

raison de arizona wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:48 am https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status ... 2205277240
PatriotTakes 🇺🇸 @patriottakes wrote: Law enforcement posing with someone starting their criminal trial Monday
Law enforcement posing with someone who barely walked 20 feet from the plane, whether due to inability to walk that for or just hating the place. And is probably desperate to get back on and get the fuck out of the dump.
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

The High Price of Unregulated Private Police Training to New Jersey

Table of Contents
Posted on - 12/6/2023
  • Introduction
    Background
    Methodology
    Findings
    Recommendations
Introduction

The Office of the State Comptroller (OSC) is authorized to conduct audits, investigations, and reviews of Executive branch entities, including state and local police departments, to identify and prevent fraud, waste, and abuse in the expenditure of public funds. OSC initiated this investigation into Street Cop Training (Street Cop or the Company) after receiving information that public funds were spent to send New Jersey police officers to a six-day conference in October 2021 in Atlantic City that trained officers on questionable policing tactics and contained offensive and discriminatory content (the Conference). Street Cop is a New Jersey-based company.

Around 990 law enforcement officers nationwide attended the Conference, with about 240 from New Jersey. The 240 New Jersey officers came from agencies across the state, working at all levels of government—interstate, state, county, and municipal. The majority of these officers had their attendance paid for by their public employers. OSC’s investigation confirmed that at least $75,000 in public funds were directly spent by New Jersey entities on attendance at the Conference. This number does not include paid time off and/or paid training days relating to officers’ attendance.

To conduct this investigation, OSC’s Police Accountability Project reviewed documents, videos, and other materials received from the Company, training centers, and various law enforcement agencies and departments with officers in attendance at the Conference, among other sources. OSC also consulted directives, regulations, policies, and case law, and conducted interviews of relevant witnesses. OSC also conducted a sworn interview with Street Cop’s founder and Chief Executive Officer, Dennis Benigno.

OSC’s investigation uncovered alarming deficiencies in the police training provided at the Conference and a dangerous and potentially costly gap in the oversight of private post-academy police training. Currently, private post-academy police training in New Jersey is not regulated by the Attorney General, Police Training Commission (PTC), or any other designated entity.

Among other things, OSC found:
  • Instructors at the Conference promoted the use of unconstitutional policing tactics for motor vehicle stops;
    Some instructors glorified violence and an excessively militaristic or “warrior” approach to policing. Other presenters spoke disparagingly of the internal affairs process; promoted an “us vs. them” approach; and espoused views and tactics that would undermine almost a decade of police reform efforts in New Jersey, including those aimed at de-escalating civilian-police encounters, building trust with vulnerable populations, and increasing officers’ ability to understand, appreciate, and interact with New Jersey’s diverse population; and
    The Conference included over 100 discriminatory and harassing remarks by speakers and instructors, with repeated references to speakers’ genitalia, lewd gestures, and demeaning quips about women and minorities.

https://nj.gov/comptroller/reports/2023 ... 1206.shtml
Ben-Prime

COPS behaving badly

Post by Ben-Prime »

I said almost 20 years ago when I first started seeing regular cops glorify Marvel's The Punisher character that we were way too late for most forms of police reform. It's generationally seeded and self-perpetuating now. I hate being even a little bit right about this.

DISCLAIMER: This is a #notallcops post. I do know many good cops. I don't mean to imply otherwise.

raison de arizona

COPS behaving badly

Amiri King @AmiriKing wrote: CATSKILL NY—A drunk Jason Jones doused himself with hand sanitizer in the Catskill police station lobby and subsequently burst into flames after being tased by an officer.

Officers spent almost 30 minutes trying to calm him down before the incident happened.

Jones did not survive the incident and none of the officers are being charged with his death.
RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:51 pm https://twitter.com/AmiriKing/status/17 ... 3704642792
Amiri King @AmiriKing wrote: CATSKILL NY—A drunk Jason Jones doused himself with hand sanitizer in the Catskill police station lobby and subsequently burst into flames after being tased by an officer.

Officers spent almost 30 minutes trying to calm him down before the incident happened.

Jones did not survive the incident and none of the officers are being charged with his death.
from the investigation report:
Mr. Jones died on December 15, 2021, from heart and lung complications related to his inhalation of hot gases.
what happened before
On the evening of October 29-30, 2021, Mr. Jones became intoxicated at the Avalon
Lounge, a local bar in the village of Catskill, Greene County, one block from the Catskill
Police Department (CPD) stationhouse. At 1:29 a.m. on October 30, when Mr. Jones refused
to leave the Avalon, staff called CPD. Mr. Jones left the bar when the officers arrived but
inexplicably ran to the CPD stationhouse. Video surveillance (with no audio) inside the
stationhouse lobby shows Mr. Jones interacting with Sergeant Mark Nazi,1 Officer Daniel
Goldpaugh, and Officer Nicholas Craig for the next twenty-five minutes.
Mr. Jones appeared intoxicated, pounded on windows, overturned a table, and removed his
clothes. Eventually Mr. Jones picked up a gallon-jug of isopropyl alcohol-based hand
sanitizer and, using the pump dispenser, doused himself.

Report on the Investigation into the Death of Jason Jones, October 13, 2023
raison de arizona

COPS behaving badly

Judge awards $23.5 million to undercover St. Louis officer beaten by colleagues during protest

A St. Louis judge on Monday awarded nearly $23.5 million to a former police officer who was beaten by colleagues while working undercover during a protest.

Luther Hall was badly injured in the 2017 attack during one of several protests that followed the acquittal of Jason Stockley, a former St. Louis officer, on a murder charge that stemmed from the shooting death of a Black man.

Hall previously settled a separate lawsuit with the city for $5 million. In 2022, he sued three former colleagues — Randy Hays, Dustin Boone and Christopher Myers — for their roles in the attack.

Hays never responded to the lawsuit despite being served while he was in prison on a civil rights violation, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported. A judge issued a default judgment in favor of Hall in February and heard testimony Monday about why Hall should receive damages.

Hall’s claims against Boone and Myers are still pending.

Hall, in court on Monday, talked about the severe physical and emotional damages that followed the beating. He suffered several herniated discs and a jaw injury that left him unable to eat. He developed gallstones with complications, requiring surgeries.

Mr. Hall had to endure this severe beating and while that was happening, he knew it was being administered by his colleagues who were sworn to serve and protect,” Circuit Judge Joseph Whyte said.
:snippity:
https://apnews.com/article/st-louis-off ... a0675b4c77
jcolvin2
Verified:

COPS behaving badly

Post by jcolvin2 »

Ben-Prime wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:30 am I said almost 20 years ago when I first started seeing regular cops glorify Marvel's The Punisher character that we were way too late for most forms of police reform. It's generationally seeded and self-perpetuating now. I hate being even a little bit right about this.

DISCLAIMER: This is a #notallcops post. I do know many good cops. I don't mean to imply otherwise.
At least the fictional Punisher character had a reason for his grievance built into his backstory (wife and kids killed by criminals). Why ordinary joes sworn to serve and protect would idolize an anti-hero is beyond me.
Ben-Prime

COPS behaving badly

Post by Ben-Prime »

jcolvin2 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:48 pm
Ben-Prime wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:30 am I said almost 20 years ago when I first started seeing regular cops glorify Marvel's The Punisher character that we were way too late for most forms of police reform. It's generationally seeded and self-perpetuating now. I hate being even a little bit right about this.

At least the fictional Punisher character had a reason for his grievance built into his backstory (wife and kids killed by criminals). Why ordinary joes sworn to serve and protect would idolize an anti-hero is beyond me.
It's wish fulfulliment. He is unrestrained in his responses to criminals. It's the same reason that in the universe of Star Wars fandom outside of the movie version of the universe, it's the anti-heroes like the Bounty Hunters and the Sith and the fallen or imperfect Jedi that get all the love -- because they have the power to take action and do not restrain themselves from doing so, so ordinary people (and even sub-ordinary people) can see themselves reflected in ways they cannot with more morally pure characters. It's the reason I will always argue that Superman is a great hero not because of what he can do but because of what he COULD do but REFUSES to do for moral reasons.

I'll spare y'all the longer version of this rant. Let's just say it's been a topic of mine for 30+ years.

RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

At least 15 people died in Texas after medics injected sedatives during encounters with police

KXAN
27 Apr 2024

At least 15 people died in Texas over a decade following a physical encounter with police during which medical personnel also injected them with a powerful sedative, an investigation led by The Associated Press has found.
article: https://www.kxan.com/news/at-least-15-p ... th-police/

AndyinPA
Verified:

COPS behaving badly

Post by AndyinPA »

How is that even legal?

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”