COPS behaving badly

sugar magnolia

COPS behaving badly

Post by sugar magnolia »

bob wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:40 am
Maybenaut wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:03 am I think Bob’s right. Well, I think you’re both right. The overly cautious driving gave rise to reasonable suspicion so they could pull me over — for all the reasons you mention. But once they had me on the side of the road they didn’t have probable cause to believe I was impaired - Dude engaged in a lengthy conversation with me and I wasn’t exhibiting any of the behaviors associated with impairment. There was no smell of alcohol or marijuana. I had a reasonable explanation for my behavior - it’s a holiday, cops are out in force, and I couldn’t afford to get a ticket. Meanwhile, the other dude was shining his flashlight everywhere it would go.

So I think they were looking for probable cause so they could get me off the road if need be.
Yeah; (the highly subjective) "overly" cautious is indicator of possible impairment. And officers are trained to observe suspected impaired drivers (for like 15 minutes) before administering a breathalyzer. So waiting long enough for probable cause, all while taking advantage of a (compelled) plain view.
Um, when I got certified as a DUI officer, the training wasn't "highly subjective" at all. It was all rather specific, right down to how many feet short of a stop sign was considered overly cautious, and what percentage of impaired drivers showed which driving impairment. Stopping short of a red light was (I think) 20% but driving extremely slow (again, a certain mph below the posted speed, not some arbitrary "too slow") with no obvious reason like weather or mechanical issues jumped up to around 30%. Weaving, crossing the center line or fog strip, or other dangerous driving was way on up there. The reference book alone was 2" thick. We were also expected to be able to testify to all that stuff when it got to court.

I'm not sure where the 15 minute observation came from, but I never spent that kind of time just deciding if they were possibly impaired or not. They were either long gone down the road or already doing the FSTs on the side of the road. There is a required 30 minute observation time between detaining someone and running them on the intoxylizer but that's to make sure the big breath machine is calibrated correctly and they didn't have anything in their mouth. Road side "blow on this tube" are for PC (or at least they were when I was doing this shit for a living) and were not admissible as BAC results. I have screwed around with a stop for longer than necessary if I had been sitting on my ass for so long my butt was asleep and I needed to be moving around. Maybe it makes a difference that I only worked traffic (wrecks, DUIs, traffic stuff) and beat officers do things differently, or they do things differently in your state.

Also, in general, for a simple traffic stop, the second man in a 2 man car doesn't really have much to do but shine his light around your car. It's an officer safety training maneuver. I was a solo unit so it wasn't an issue for me unless another officer was close and just decided to ride by and back me up. He would usually check out the car so he wasn't just standing there like a lump though.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

Police killed Niani Finlayson seconds after responding to her 911 call, video shows
Body camera reveals Los Angeles deputy fired at woman who sought help for domestic violence as nine-year-old daughter watched

Sam Levin in Los Angeles
Sat 30 Dec 2023 01.05 CET

The Los Angeles sheriff’s department (LASD) released body-camera footage on Friday of an officer fatally shooting Niani Finlayson, 27, who had called 911 for help during a domestic violence incident.

The footage from the 4 December encounter showed that deputy Ty Shelton shot Finlayson four times within roughly three seconds of entering her home.

The killing in Lancaster, a city in north Los Angeles county, sparked national outrage last week, with civil rights activists questioning why deputies failed to de-escalate the conflict and instead used fatal force against a woman who had sought their assistance and was a victim of abuse.

The LASD released audio from the 911 call, which captured Finlayson shouting: “He won’t get out of my house … He will not leave me alone … I need the police here right now.” She could be heard screaming and repeatedly telling a man to get off her. Her family’s lawyer has said the man was her former boyfriend.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ody-camera
RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

when police entered the apartment the caller held a knife for defending herself cause ex-boyfriend attacked her ...

RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

Lawsuit: Man allegedly paralyzed by corrections officer. FBI investigates.

Mike Mason
5 Jan 2024

Lorain County corrections officer allegedly slams a man head-first into a wall and paralyzes him. Now the FBI is investigating but the officer kept his job. We found the officer is the son-in-law of the Jail Administrator. Attorneys allege there’s a culture of abuse at the jail — we found numerous lawsuits filed recently accusing various officers of similar incidents.

RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

GRAPHIC: Former Jailer charged with Death of Inmate. “Excited Delirium” Blamed.

Mike Mason
17 Nov 2023 RICHLAND COUNTY

A Coroner claims Alex Rios died from "Excited Delirium", a diagnosis that medical associations have debunked. Experts say he died because a Corrections Officer stood on top of him, using his full 250-pound weight.

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

COPS behaving badly

Post by raison de arizona »

Why come it takes nine years to adjudicate something so blatant?
Fifty Shades of Whey @davenewworld_2 wrote: A police sergeant in Texas pleaded guilty to assaulting a handcuffed teenager. Juan Pablo Galindo kneed a 19-year-old in the testicles for no reason. This happened in 2015. The system is so lenient against violent cops that it took nearly a decade to get a conviction for this.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

Could go to several threads, not saying that all shootings were "bad cops" ...
2023 saw record killings by US police. Who is most affected?
Officers killed at least 1,232 people last year – the deadliest year for homicides by law enforcement in over a decade, data shows

Sam Levin
Mon 8 Jan 2024 16.00 CET

Police in the US killed at least 1,232 people last year, making 2023 the deadliest year for homicides committed by law enforcement in more than a decade, according to newly released data.

Mapping Police Violence, a non-profit research group, catalogs deaths at the hands of police and last year recorded the highest number of killings since its national tracking began in 2013. The data suggests a systemic crisis and a remarkably consistent pattern, with an average of roughly three people killed by officers each day, with slight upticks in recent years.

The group recorded 30 more deaths in 2023 than the previous year, with 1,202 people killed in 2022; 1,148 in 2021; 1,160 in 2020; and 1,098 in 2019. The numbers include shooting victims, as well as people fatally shocked by a stun gun, beaten or restrained. The 2023 count is preliminary, and cases could be added as the database is updated.

High-profile 2023 cases included the fatal beating of Tyre Nichols in Memphis; the tasing of Keenan Anderson in Los Angeles; and the shooting in Lancaster, California, of Niani Finlayson, who had called 911 for help over domestic violence. There were hundreds more who garnered little attention, including Ricky Cobb, shot by a Minnesota trooper after he was pulled over for a tail light violation; Tahmon Kenneth Wilson, unarmed and shot outside a Bay Area cannabis dispensary; and Isidra Clara Castillo, killed when police in Amarillo, Texas, fired at someone else in the same car as her.

Here are some key takeaways from the data and experts’ insight into why US police continue to kill civilians at a rate an order of magnitude higher than comparable nations.

Police violence is increasing as murders are falling

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ear-decade
RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

once again, wrong address of the suspect, but raided the home named in the search warrant

using flashbang at a window when toddler was located beneath, and demolishing the place

RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

a year old

RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

Orange County SWAT team members bullied bar patron, drank & drove agency vehicles

By Ashlyn Webb, WFTV.com
December 20, 2023 at 7:57 pm EST

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. — What was supposed to be a night to honor a fallen deputy—turned into a night of drinking, driving agency vehicles, and allegations of bullying by some members of the Orange County SWAT team. Some deputies were on-duty.

The only reason we know of the incident is because a bar patron went public with his story, and the Sheriff’s Office launched an investigation.

The surveillance video obtained by 9 Investigates shows deputies elbowing and pushing radio host Shawn Wasson.

According to Wasson, investigators, and even deputies who were there that night, this argument started when Wasson would not move from his chair—when the SWAT team corporal asked.

“He told me to my face. He was like we are cops, and we’re going to go nuts tonight,” Wasson said.

According to the internal report, the deputy that first approached Wasson was Corporal Kristopher Lott.

Lott and roughly 20 other deputies were at the bar remembering Deputy Michael Milmerstadt, who died days earlier after suffering a brain injury during off-duty training at a gym.

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/orange- ... 4IMXFRWYE/

news clip
► Show Spoiler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

COPS behaving badly

Post by raison de arizona »

How horrible. They waited less than nine seconds before smashing their way in.
TizzyEnt @TizzyEnt wrote: Elyria, OH She says her 17 month old baby was injured when police raided the wrong home, they say otherwise.
Followup:
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

tsk tsk tsk

RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

Former Town and Country officer charged with child sex crimes

Joey Schneider
Sat, January 20, 2024 at 11:58 PM GMT+1

TOWN AND COUNTRY, Mo. – A former officer with the Town and Country Police Department was charged with seven felonies and two misdemeanors in a child sex crimes investigation.

The Jefferson County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office has charged Jordan C. Fowle, 57, with seven counts of child molestation, one count of sodomy, and one count of sexual abuse.

Prosecutors filed charges on Jan. 16 and authorities have requested a warrant for Fowle’s arrest. Missouri court records did not indicate Saturday whether Fowle is behind bars.

MoDOT prepares for icy conditions, St. Louis drivers urged to exercise caution

The Town and Country Police Department confirmed via Facebook that Fowle was a former officer and is facing charges. The department adds it’s been in contact with the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office “and has no reason at the present time to believe any alleged incidents occurred while Jordan Fowle was on duty, or otherwise acting in the official capacity of a Town and Country Police Officer.”

According to court documents obtained from FOX 2, Fowle is linked to several sex crimes between August 2012 and July 2023 with two victims.

https://news.yahoo.com/former-town-coun ... 09276.html
RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

where there is smoke there must be a fire
FBI investigation into APD officers connected to dismissed DWI cases

Feliz Romero | KOB
January 20, 2024 - 2:27 AM

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – Multiple Albuquerque police officers are at the center of a federal investigation. The U.S. Attorney’s Office confirmed to KOB 4 Thursday that they searched one of those officers’ homes in Los Lunas.

On Friday, officials confirmed this investigation led to the dismissal of more than 150 DWI active cases in Bernalillo County.

On one end, you have a spokesperson from APD saying they are working with the FBI on an investigation involving officers. On the other end, you have the district attorney dismissing 152 open DWI cases, which they say is due to an ongoing federal case.

Chopper 4 was above a Los Lunas neighborhood Thursday after a house was raided by the FBI. The U.S. Attorney’s Office confirmed they searched the home of an Albuquerque police officer.

A spokesperson for APD says the department has been working with the FBI for the past several months on an investigation involving officers.

Some officers have been placed on administrative leave, and others will be temporarily reassigned within the department. APD leadership is working closely with the FBI to ensure a complete and thorough investigation can be completed.

Meanwhile, the Bernalillo District Attorney’s Office has dismissed 152 DWI cases due to a federal investigation.

“The idea of dismissing approximately 150 DWI cases is a gut punch to me. It makes me sick to my stomach, but I have no choice, my prosecutorial ethics will require me to dismiss these cases,” said Bregman.

https://www.kob.com/new-mexico/fbi-inve ... dwi-cases/
RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

(containns a couple of minutes of embedded sponsor message shortly after start, skip as desired)

RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

re the FBI raid in post just above

RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

My take: police officers make DUI stop and "find" reason to charge, then "recommend" a specific lawyer, lawyer takes retainer, after case gets dismissed in court cause the officer does not show up, retainer gets split.
bob

COPS behaving badly

Post by bob »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:09 pm My take: police officers make DUI stop and "find" reason to charge, then "recommend" a specific lawyer, lawyer takes retainer, after case gets dismissed in court cause the officer does not show up, retainer gets split.
KOAT (ABC): Officers not showing up to court linked to federal investigation:
So, what's the connection to the attorney’s home that was searched by the FBI and the officers? It turns out those officers were in front of the attorney in court 70 times.

What happened to those cases? The majority of them were dismissed. The reason — 29 times the officers failed to appear in court or provide needed evidence.

Some of the excuses include a flat tire, a traffic crash and work-related injuries.

"When you see the like I said, the connection and the high numbers. There better be a lot of flags and bells going off,” Linda Atkinson, executive director of the DWI Resource Center, said.

Atkinson says a group of officers not appearing 29 times for one attorney is suspicious.

"I have my doubts it was happenstance,” Atkinson said. “It seems like it was intentional."

We found one officer didn't show up three times to hearings in one case.
Image ImageImage
realist

COPS behaving badly

Post by realist »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:09 pm My take: police officers make DUI stop and "find" reason to charge, then "recommend" a specific lawyer, lawyer takes retainer, after case gets dismissed in court cause the officer does not show up, retainer gets split.
I'm really not surprised at the officers part in whatever this scheme is/was.

I am, however, very surprised that Tom Clear, III is involved in whatever way (assuming he is, of course).

He and his dad before him have always been highly respected attorneys in Albuquerque and NM. TC III I've known since he began practice and knew his dad as well. He does mostly criminal defense work (though does do some PI work as well). He does (or at least did) have a very large number of DUI clients over the years, I'd guess certainly in the thousands. While I was working I reported probably a hundred or two statements he and/or his investigator took of the arresting officer(s) in those cases.

It's not the rule but is not uncommon for the arresting officer to now show up for a DUI trial. It's one reason many defendants fight the charge and want to go to trial. If the officer does show up it is very common then for the defendant to change his plea to guilty (unless there is a real problem with the arrest).

Will be interesting to see how it all comes out. :popcorn:
Image X 4
Image X 32
much ado

COPS behaving badly

Post by much ado »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:41 pm
bob wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:39 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:28 pm I got pulled over by a State Trooper in Tennessee. It was 2 a.m. on 5 July, and I was heading home after a party. I wasn't drunk, but I was worried that cops would be on the lookout, so I drove the speed limit. Cop asked if I had been drinking and I said nope, not a drop (back then I didn't). Dude said, look, the trucks go through here at 80 mph. Your doing 55 is actually a hazard. I can't advise you to speed, but I can inform you that if you go with the flow of traffic, it is extremely unlikely we will ticket you. So, no ticket or anything, just some education (while his partner spent a great deal of time looking into the passenger compartment of my car with a big flashlight).
Sounds like a classic case of "if I look long hard enough and wait long enough, probable cause of something will appear."
Yup. They wouldn't have found anything, though. There was nothing to find. I was a good girl.
That triggers a memory. It was the end of August 1982. I had spent the previous year in Newfoundland. Mrs ado and I had been married in St. John's the previous November. We crossed into the US at Maine. The border patrol agent came over to my open car window to ask questions and check passports. Then he noticed a 35 mm film canister on the ledge below the glove compartment in front of mrs ado. (Everyone of a certain age will know what those canisters were used for back then.) He asked to see it, so we handed it over. He held it very close to his face and looked into it very intently for quite a while. He did this so long that my wife finally offered this helpful information: "The film is in the camera."

:rotflmao:

We were also good.
W. Kevin Vicklund

COPS behaving badly

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

much ado wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:55 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:41 pm
bob wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:39 pm Sounds like a classic case of "if I look long hard enough and wait long enough, probable cause of something will appear."
Yup. They wouldn't have found anything, though. There was nothing to find. I was a good girl.
That triggers a memory. It was the end of August 1982. I had spent the previous year in Newfoundland. Mrs ado and I had been married in St. John's the previous November. We crossed into the US at Maine. The border patrol agent came over to my open car window to ask questions and check passports. Then he noticed a 35 mm film canister on the ledge below the glove compartment in front of mrs ado. (Everyone of a certain age will know what those canisters were used for back then.) He asked to see it, so we handed it over. He held it very close to his face and looked into it very intently for quite a while. He did this so long that my wife finally offered this helpful information: "The film is in the camera."

We were also good.
Hermit crab burials, of course.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

COPS behaving badly

Post by Maybenaut »

Was it one of those old aluminum ones with the screw top, or the black ones with the grey lid? That shows how old I am.

:roll: :bag:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
much ado

COPS behaving badly

Post by much ado »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:45 pm :rotflmao:

Was it one of those old aluminum ones with the screw top, or the black ones with the grey lid? That shows how old I am.

:roll: :bag:
Right. It was 1982, so it was black with a grey lid, the later model.

Yes, we are old. I'll have to find one of those, show it to our kids, and see if they know what it is.

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”