Air Travel - Flying the Friendly Skies

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Southwest passengers face delays after nationwide grounding

https://apnews.com/article/southwest-fl ... 8128088deb
Southwest Airlines planes were grounded nationwide for what the airline called an intermittent technology issue, causing more than 1,700 flight delays Tuesday just four months after the carrier suffered a meltdown over the Christmas travel rush.

The hold on departures was lifted by late morning, shortly after it was announced, according to Southwest and the Federal Aviation Administration, but not before traffic at airports from Denver to New York City backed up.

“Southwest has resumed operations after temporarily pausing flight activity this morning to work through data connection issues resulting from a firewall failure,” the Dallas airline said in a prepared statement. “Early this morning, a vendor-supplied firewall went down and connection to some operational data was unexpectedly lost.”

The airline urged customers to check on their flight status “and explore self-service options” for travel as the airline worked on restoring its operation.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Incredible. :towel:

This would have been great for the 699th!

Opinion He has flown 23 million miles. Here are his travel secrets.
By Rick Reilly Contributing columnist June 23, 2023 at 12:39 p.m. EDT

So you’re going to fly this summer? Europe, maybe? And you’re dreading flying the way cats hate baths? Well, you need to talk to the man who’s flown more miles than any human being in history — 23 million so far, or 22 million more than Apollo 11. His name is Tom Stuker — a 69-year-old New Jersey car dealership consultant — and he’s the biggest mistake United Airlines ever made.

In 1990, United offered a lifetime pass for $290,000. Stuker jumped on it and has pretty much lived in seat 1B — his favorite — ever since. He once went 12 straight days without sleeping in a bed. Just kept jetting from Newark to San Francisco to Bangkok to Dubai and back again, the equivalent of four trips around the world, leaving the sky only for the airport lounge.

Why? Duh. For the miles. “Best investment of my life,” Stuker says. He realized that frequent-flier miles aren’t just valuable for booking more flights. Once you get them, you can sell them, trade them, win auctions with them. Stuker has lived like a sultan on United miles ever since — lavish hotel suites all over the world, weeks-long Crystal cruises, gourmet meals from Perth to Paris.

373 trips in 365 days
According to Stuker, 2019 was his best year. He took 373 flights that covered 1.46 million miles. If he had bought all these flights in cash, it would have cost him $2.44 million. He says he even parlayed the miles into enough gift cards to redo his brother’s house. The miles maestro once cashed $50,000 worth of Walmart gift cards in a single day. United quit offering the passes a long time ago, so don’t get any ideas. Get this — years ago he won a charity auction by bidding 451,000 miles to be on a “Seinfeld” episode. (The one where George’s fiancée dies from licking envelopes. Stuker’s in the diner.)

He has seen more than 100 countries. He figures that he and his very happy wife have been on more than 120 honeymoons. He has played United like three-card monte, and there’s been nothing they can do to stop him. But it’s the weirdest thing. Sometimes hostages love their captors, and United loves their loss leader. Over the years, the airline has put his name on not one but two planes. Thomas R. Stuker, Customer. They let him help design the menu at their new Polaris clubs. He says that when he has a tight connection, there’s a Mercedes waiting on the tarmac to whoosh him to the next gate.

I flew with him from Newark to Los Angeles once just to see it all for myself. Tom Stuker doesn’t do airlines like you and I do airlines. When he calls the 800 number, they go, “Mr. Stuker? Is that you?” Ropes come down, doors fly open and free champagne bottles end up in his bag. You know how the gold-diamond-platinum-level-customers-way-better-than-you board planes first? Tom Stuker has already been sitting in 1B and eating nuts from little porcelain cups for 10 minutes before they even get called. He has taken thousands and thousands of United flights, so I just had to ask … Anybody ever die up there with you? “Four,” Stuker says. Four? “Yeah, four. All heart attacks. I’d met a couple of them, too. Just died right in their seats. The last guy was up in business with me, Chicago to Narita [Tokyo]. They covered him with a blanket and put the seat belt back on. What else could they do? I guarantee somebody in business was thinking, ‘Hey, if he’s not gonna eat his chocolate sundae, would you mind … ?”

Lie to the first flight attendant you meet inside the door when you board. “She’s the head attendant. I always say, ‘I remember you! You gave us such great service last time. I wanted to thank you again.’ Even if I’ve never met her. I guarantee she’ll bring you all kinds of free stuff.”

If you couldn’t book the seat you wanted, keep your phone open on the seat map app as you board. If a blocked seat that you wanted opens up, just take it. “They won’t care,” he says. “They never sold it.”

Never check a bag. Never, ever, never. And under-pack. “Every town has laundromats. And stores.”

Don’t be a jerk and use your cell without headphones. That way, people won’t hate you. “Whenever somebody takes a long business call on speaker, I always say, ‘Hey, next time you’re going to have all of us to your business meeting, bring doughnuts.’”

My best travel advice? Get to know Tom Stuker. He has miles coming out of his attic windows, and he loves to upgrade his friends. Plus, Stuker’s miles will get you to No. 1 on any United upgrade list from today until the day he drops dead, hopefully not until after the sundae.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... =undefined

Stories also at https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2023 ... lines-pass
https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/travel/ar ... d-airlines
https://simpleflying.com/tom-stuker-fre ... %20flights.

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

What a fun story.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

To me, all that travel on a plane seems like pure hell, but to each his own. :eek:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:41 pm To me, all that travel on a plane seems like pure hell, but to each his own. :eek:
Travelling business / first class (in the US) has its extra perks like free lounge access with shower facilities etc. and separate boarding and seat reservation.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:15 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:41 pm To me, all that travel on a plane seems like pure hell, but to each his own. :eek:
Travelling business / first class (in the US) has its extra perks like free lounge access with shower facilities etc. and separate boarding and seat reservation.
That might ease the pain a little, not enough. I really don't enjoy flying. I would still feel cooped up and couldn't stand the background noise. Those are the things that make me hate flying.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Annrc
Verified:

Post by Annrc »

I agree with you Andrea. I haven’t flown in over ten years and don’t plan to fly again in the future. Every time I fly come home ill. Go figure. My sister is a stewardess in her late 60s and has flown for years.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Yeah, I have to fly to Seattle and back in August. I am dreading it already. I thought long and hard about going on the train instead, but I don't know how well my ADHD grandson would handle it, and I'd have to take a three-day supply of food with me. He's allergic to a lot of foods and fussy about the rest of them, eats mostly vegan. It's hard enough feeding my granddaughter, but she's used to the long-distance trains.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I've flown round-trip from Minneapolis to Seattle twice in the past two months and I flew first class each time. My husband and I had planned on traveling when he retired, but he passed away before that could happen. We had put away money for traveling, so I'm using it now to fly first class. As long as it fits in my budget, that's what I'll do!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm paying for four, including two kids, to Seattle, but next year, I think I'm flying first class to Bergen, Norway, and back from Reykjavík. I do have to upgrade us to premium economy yet, though.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

In 1994 my parents were celebrating their 50th anniversary. As part of that celebration, 8 of us family members flew to Norway. Bad weather delayed us first in Minneapolis, then in New York City. The airline ended up putting us in first class for our flight from New York City to Oslo. That was so nice!

The flight home, from Copenhagen, in coach seats, seemed to take much longer!
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

One time with the family, we got an unexpected upgrade to first class. We were waiting to board and got called to the desk. The lady handed us our seat passes, all she said was “Enjoy”. We didn’t realize what had happened until we found our seats. It was really nice. Getting offered drinks before departure, (we’re not drinkers, but still nice), legroom like on a train, etc.

The best airline I ever flew on in coach was Midwest Express, going to Billy Mitchell in Milwaukee.
2 seats each side of the aisle. After takeoff they served champagne in glass flutes. Embarrassingly one of the guys in our group collected some and took them home. I never really trusted him anyway.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:06 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:15 pm
That might ease the pain a little, not enough. I really don't enjoy flying. I would still feel cooped up and couldn't stand the background noise. Those are the things that make me hate flying.
I love, love, love to fly.

I love going places, figuring out how I'm going to get there, modes of transportation, etc. When we take a multi-destination trip I have a multi-sectioned paper folder where I keep all the information about each leg of the journey. For example, when we went to Europe a few years ago I had a section that had all the information about how to get from the gate in the Brussels airport to the train to Bruges (with a map of the airport terminal, and which train to look for). Another section was dedicated to Bruges - hotel confirmation numbers, map of the city, etc. For London I taped a pocket to the separator in the folder to hold the paper tickets to the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London (you have to plan that way in advance). And on and on for each part of the journey.

When I travel by myself I don't usually do these things. But my husband will ask me a thousand times, "Do you know how we're getting from the gate to the train station?" Once I started making these folders he quit asking those questions. Now he asks, "Did you make a folder?"
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I've flown in first class a few times, but while it's certainly nicer, it doesn't alleviate my major issues. On the return from Seattle next month, our flight doesn't leave until about 11 PM, after getting off the ship early in the morning. I'm looking for a dayroom until late afternoon/early evening either in Seattle or at Seatac. I can't imagine spending the entire day in an airport by myself, let alone with two kids, one with ADHD. :cantlook:

I'm taking my granddaughter to NYC next week, her delayed thirteenth birthday trip from last year. She said we could just go this year to celebrate her going into high school this year. We are taking my favorite method of travel, the train. :biggrin:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Depending on the airline, you might be able to purchase a pass to the lounge even if you’re not going business/first.

United let’s you do that if you have a same-day departure on a United or Star Alliance flight. It’s expensive, though $65 per. Only you know whether it’s worth it.

I have a United Club credit card that I use for all my purchases, and one benefit free is lounge access for me and a guest. But I get so many miles from purchases I almost always can upgrade to first/Business.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
somerset

Post by somerset »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:03 pm Depending on the airline, you might be able to purchase a pass to the lounge even if you’re not going business/first.

United let’s you do that if you have a same-day departure on a United or Star Alliance flight. It’s expensive, though $65 per. Only you know whether it’s worth it.

I have a United Club credit card that I use for all my purchases, and one benefit free is lounge access for me and a guest. But I get so many miles from purchases I almost always can upgrade to first/Business.
I have an AmEx Platinum for the same reason on Delta. I fly into MSP at least once a month, always on Delta, so lounge access was worth it for me. Delta won't sell daily access, so the only alternative is to pay $550/year for their club membership. I'm also in Asia 3~4x/year and Germany 2~3x/year, so international lounge access is nice.

And yes, business class on flights over 8 hours is really nice ;)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I don't think even the lounge would be a place for the grandson. We're flying on Delta. We don't really have a card with any air miles. We often fly to Europe on whatever the cruise line or tour company sets us up with. But, boy, do we have train miles! :lol:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Why does a flight to Detriot cost $50 more than a flight to Ohio with a layover in Detriot?
CBS News @CBSNews wrote: As flyers try to skirt expensive airline costs, many turn to "hacker fares" for cheaper tickets. While "there's nothing that prohibits it by law," airlines are finding ways to try and crack down on the practices.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:34 pm Why does a flight to Detriot cost $50 more than a flight to Ohio with a layover in Detriot?
CBS News @CBSNews wrote: As flyers try to skirt expensive airline costs, many turn to "hacker fares" for cheaper tickets. While "there's nothing that prohibits it by law," airlines are finding ways to try and crack down on the practices.
That has been this way for decades. It is just a way for the airlines to squeeze extra money out of the passengers.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That was what I was going to say. It's not new.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

My sister-in-law’s memorial service was in Seattle a couple of weeks ago. My oldest sister and her husband flew to Seattle from Atlanta. They discovered, though, that it was cheaper to fly to Boston afterwards and visit their daughter’s family, then fly home to Atlanta rather than to fly home directly from Seattle.

(By the way, they have the cutest little grandson. I’m not prejudice at all. :lol: )
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Definitely cheaper than moving to the Bay, but 3:30am to midnight three days a week for a year? Brutal.
Grad student commutes to UC Berkeley by plane to save on rent

A Los Angeles graduate student is going viral for how he avoided paying Bay Area rent while attending the University of California, Berkeley.

In a now-viral Reddit post, user “greateranglia” wrote a post titled, “I survived living in LA and commuting to Cal by plane over the past academic year to save on rent, AMA.”

In an interview with KRON’s Los Angeles sister station KTLA, the user, who wishes to only be identified by his first name, Bill, says all his professors and classmates knew he was a super commuter, “My classmates, instead of asking ‘What’s for dinner?’ they would ask ‘When’s your flight back?'”

Bill says he was living in Los Angeles with a rent he could afford when he got accepted into a one-year Master of Engineering program at Cal. Knowing he would return to Los Angeles after graduation, he wanted to avoid having to pay rent in the Bay Area.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/gra ... e-on-rent/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

neonzx wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:17 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:34 pm Why does a flight to Detriot cost $50 more than a flight to Ohio with a layover in Detriot?
That has been this way for decades. It is just a way for the airlines to squeeze extra money out of the passengers.
A few years ago we needed to get from Jackson Wyoming to Vancouver. The only way was Jackson to SLC, change planes, then do a milk run SLC to Portland to SeaTac to Vancouver. Then we noticed there was a train we could take from Portland that crosses over the border and into Vancouver. So I tried to arrange the SLC to Portland flight and it actually cost more than the whole SLC to Vancouver flight, a LOT more. Effing skyway robbery.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

keith wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:37 pm A few years ago we needed to get from Jackson Wyoming to Vancouver. The only way was Jackson to SLC, change planes, then do a milk run SLC to Portland to SeaTac to Vancouver. Then we noticed there was a train we could take from Portland that crosses over the border and into Vancouver. So I tried to arrange the SLC to Portland flight and it actually cost more than the whole SLC to Vancouver flight, a LOT more. Effing skyway robbery.
Yep. And it was the internet booking sites that exposed these practices because customers didn't need to rely on a travel agent or calling an airline on an 800 number to book travel. Now they could point, click and compare costs. It was a WTF wake-up moment for many. "I see what you crooks are doing." :biggrin:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... ian-flight
Strong winds in Sydney continued to cause chaos for holiday travel plans around Australia on Saturday, while passengers have been hospitalised after “severe turbulence” on a flight arriving from Honolulu.

Airlines were warning of flight disruptions on Saturday morning, as they braced for one of Sydney airport’s runways to be closed for the second time in as many days after a warning from air traffic controllers of worsening winds.

The adverse weather on Saturday – the first day of school holidays – followed about 100 cancellations and more delays in and out of Sydney on Friday due to earlier strong winds that reduced the airport to single runway operations.

While single runway operations were expected to be in place by about 11am on Saturday, airlines had already cancelled more than 20 flights by 9am, with some carriers unable to run scheduled services due to the fact that staff and aircraft had been unable to arrive in certain cities the previous day.

Return to “General Stuff”