UK - England, Wales, N.Ireland, Scotland

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Gregg wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:31 pm She took over, and within a week The Queen was dead. :smoking:

All I'm gonna say.
I imagine that really annoyed Boris Johnson. He would have loved to put himself front and center as Chief Moronurner, spouting overblown platitudes and pompous praise on the old girl.

I was amused at the article starting that Truss's premiership was 49 days. Those 49 include the days that politics was "off" due to royal mortality and the days after Truss resigned when she stayed in office until a new idiot could be chosen by the clowns in her party. 49 days hugely overstates Truss's reign as leader.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Truss is still sending in long lists of people for Royal honours.
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Ought to have been 45 in honour of another ex.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Suranis wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:37 pm Truss is still sending in long lists of people for Royal honours.
True and let's just say people are not amused. As HM The King is more or less bound to accept it, people are saying she is going to embarrass the King with all the party favors she's tossing around like candy.

For the import of her term she ought to not be submitting a list at all. There is no promise that an outgoing PM is entitled to and the new PM can block it, simply not let it be brought up in the Commons or submitted to the Palace but once it goes down The Mall the King is kind of forced into ennobling these hacks cause the "Lettuce Head PM" thinks she needs to commemorate her Premiership.

She's likely going to be the only 20th or 21st Century PM who isn't given a Life Peerage herself.

ETA a Wiki for some background on resignation honors.
Criticism
Resignation honours have been denounced by some as an example of cronyism. The 1976 resignation honours of Harold Wilson—which became known as the "Lavender List"—had caused controversy as a number of recipients were wealthy businessmen whose principles were considered antithetic to those held by the Labour Party at the time.

David Cameron's list was described by The New Statesman as a "who's who of failed Remainers".

Theresa May's list was criticised with SNP MP Pete Wishart likening it to "handing out peerages like sweeties to the same Tory advisers who got us into this Brexit mess".

Liz Truss was confirmed to be eligible for a resignation honours list, despite only having been Prime Minister for seven weeks; this caused considerable controversy, with Alastair Campbell saying that she and Boris Johnson had "disgraced and debased an office they should never have held". On 25 March 2023, The Sun newspaper reported Truss had submitted a Resignation Honours list recommending four people for honours.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

What are they going to do to Charles if he bucks the expectation?
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:15 pm What are they going to do to Charles if he bucks the expectation?
He won't. He really can't, it would, seriously, create a Constitutional Crisis. The House of Lords has a Committee that must approve first, then the PM, or more formally, the Cabinet approves and sends the list to the Monarch. The hope is the Lords say no. The last ditch is Rishi says no. Cause Charles isn't going to say no. Just how the UK works, and they've managed to keep a functioning Monarchy mostly by play acting that the King has power when everyone knows he really doesn't.

And I'm a very big fan of it all. Not only does it bring in tourist money and it does largely pay for itself, it's kind of nice to have a whole big institution dedicated in a way that only being committed to it for life can bring, to doing the fancy party and protocol and stuff. Host the foreigners without making an ass of one's self because knowing which fork to use and who to step in front of and not step in front of and stuff like that is literally your job that you have trained for since birth. Let's face it, old Lillibet was one tough act to follow but Charles has been nearly flawless, by which I mean he hasn't thrown up on anyone, hasn't started shit tweeting at 3 in the morning that Andrew ought to be a head shorter if he doesn't move out of the Royal Lodge by Monday, hasn't shown up looking like 15 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag and hasn't grabbed any women's private parts in public. These are all things Charles might do, nothing on that list is anything some of his ancestors have done on the regular, but he does manage to keep it all inside the palace walls and that's what his job is. Look nice in a uniform, don't piss off the foreigners, keep your opinion to yourself and don't be late (The King is never supposed to be late, goes back to Edward VII).

And compared to the possibility of a country having a Trump, or a Putin or Quaddaffi or name your own fekking embarrassment of a leader here, it's quite refreshing to know, even if the country is actually run by someone like Liz Truss, they do at least have someone presentable for State Dinners and such.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

That's similar reasons as to why I like our elected powerless President system here in Ireland. There's advantages in having a head of state that is not involved in day to day politics and policy.
Hic sunt dracones
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Gregg wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:13 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:15 pm What are they going to do to Charles if he bucks the expectation?
He won't. He really can't, it would, seriously, create a Constitutional Crisis. The House of Lords has a Committee that must approve first, then the PM, or more formally, the Cabinet approves and sends the list to the Monarch. The hope is the Lords say no. The last ditch is Rishi says no. Cause Charles isn't going to say no. Just how the UK works, and they've managed to keep a functioning Monarchy mostly by play acting that the King has power when everyone knows he really doesn't.

And I'm a very big fan of it all.
I am too. I'm with you-hope the right people cut it off at the pass.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

China spy claims as Parliament researcher arrested

13 hours ago
By Nick Eardley, political correspondent, & Gordon Corera, security correspondent

A researcher at the UK Parliament has been arrested under the Official Secrets Act, amid claims he was spying for China.

Police have confirmed two men, one in his 20s and another in his 30s, were arrested under the act in March.

Sources have told the BBC one of them was a parliamentary researcher involved in international affairs issues.

As first reported in the Sunday Times, it is understood the researcher had links to several Conservative MPs.

On Sunday morning, No 10 said Rishi Sunak had expressed concerns about Chinese interference to a senior official from China.

A spokesperson said the prime minister had met Chinese Premier Li Qiang during the G20 summit in India, and "conveyed his significant concerns about Chinese interference the UK's parliamentary democracy".

Chinese President Xi Jinping is not attending the summit.

The Sunday Times reported the researcher had links to security minister Tom Tugendhat and foreign affairs committee chairwoman Alicia Kearns, among others.

Several government sources declined to comment on security matters.

The Metropolitan Police said: "A man in his 30s was arrested at an address in Oxfordshire and a man in his 20s was arrested at an address in Edinburgh.

"Searches were also carried out at both the residential properties, as well as at a third address in east London."

Both men were taken to a south London police station, and were subsequently released on police bail until a date in early October, it said.

The Met's Counter Terrorism Command, which oversees espionage-related offences, is investigating.

It is reported the researcher had access to Mr Tugendhat before he became security minister in September last year.

Mr Tugendhat is said to have had only limited contact with the man, and no dealings with him as a minister.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-66765759
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Yes - it's the UK not the US
Hundreds of thousands face exclusion over voter ID laws, UK watchdog says
Warning policy could disproportionately affect poorer people, those with disabilities and those from minority ethnic backgrounds

Peter Walker Deputy political editor
Wed 13 Sep 2023 00.01 BST

Hundreds of thousands of people could be excluded from voting in a UK general election because of voter ID laws, the government’s election watchdog has said.

The laws could have a disproportionate effect on poorer people, those with disabilities and people from minority ethnic backgrounds, the Electoral Commission warned.

It said ministers should take urgent action to alleviate these impacts, including drawing up a wider list of documents that people can show to vote and allowing people without ID to have someone else vouch for their identity.

Such a damning verdict from the official body for elections risks considerable embarrassment for ministers, who have repeatedly refused to engage with similar concerns from charities and other groups about the impact of voter ID.

However, in its own statement about the report, the Department for Levelling Up, which has responsibility for elections, failed to mention any of the criticisms and said the rollout of voter ID had instead been “very encouraging”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -id-impact
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

As compared to Texas where it's possible that you need to have one specific form of non-driver's license ID, only available from one office in the county that is a 3 hour drive from the poor nieghborhoods, not on any public transit routes and is only open on every other Thursday from 9-2 with a 90 minute lunch in there somewhere. Not a fixed time, they go when they can make a minute, often when someone not whtier than the Queen of SWeeden shows up to get an ID. Then they tell them that in order to get the ID they need to vote, they have to get the other ID thingy from the health department, which yes, is just down the hall, so it's very convenient.

They're open on the first monday of the month if you need to come back.

Y'all remember to come out and vote now!

Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

I believe, Gregg, there's also something about the necessary forms being in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

True Science Fact
My office is down a hallway that leads to a bathroom that was closed 25 years ago to install some equipment in the room.
Down this zombie hallway is a single door off to the left and that's me.
It's the kind of coveted location in a big factory that with a small Somebody Else's Problem Field is virtually invisible and allows me to avoid people who might distract me or worse bring me things to do.
Of the 1800 people at our location, I doubt 18 could tell you where I was if you asked.
:thumbsup:

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
That's diabolical. And, I love it. :biggrin:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Gregg wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:19 am True Science Fact
My office is down a hallway that leads to a bathroom that was closed 25 years ago to install some equipment in the room.
Down this zombie hallway is a single door off to the left and that's me.
It's the kind of coveted location in a big factory that with a small Somebody Else's Problem Field is virtually invisible and allows me to avoid people who might distract me or worse bring me things to do.
Of the 1800 people at our location, I doubt 18 could tell you where I was if you asked.
:thumbsup:
Pre-pandemic, yours was a massive win -- a world-class site for what now-disgraced Dilbert used to call an "in-cube sabbatical." I am one of millions of people that now top that routinely, without having had to spend years mastering the political infighting skill needed to score such a glorious hideaway.

Now that I am fully remote, I live 75 miles away from the office in a different metro area (almost in a different state). I'm in a smallish city, and people who live near the office are only vaguely familiar with it. Nobody that lives near the office has ever spent more time there than driving through on vacation, maybe stopping for dinner. Only two other employees in my division live in the same county, and nobody lives in the same city.

Even though I'm quite close to downtown and to a full assortment of big box stores and other essentials of modern life, I'm the only house at the end of a long, narrow and poorly marked private road that's barely wide enough for a single car. Only occasionally does someone drive down the road to access the members-only beach; most people walk. Thus, the only traffic is guests of mine or deliveries I'm expecting. Oh, and I'm 90 minutes from the nearest airport (3 hours at rush hour), so my boss, who lives in Dallas, is unlikely to drop in.

My theory is: "if they can't find me, they can't fire me." You'd think that in the GPS era, any corporate official sufficiently determined to show up for in-person disciplinary action would just put my address in their phone and surmount the hurdles above. But I've got that covered, too. I live on "X Rd." But there's another street nearby, also on a private beach, named "X Drive." Purely by accident, I wasn't paying attention when I entered the change of address in the portal when I moved, and I put in "X Drive." The post office manages to deliver mail reliably when mis-addressed because there's no house on "X Drive" with my number, and its address matching software works properly. But if you put in my number on "X Drive," Google Maps or your iPhone take you to a nonexistent address between two houses on the other street.

Net result: the equivalent of an in-cube sabbatical, but with a wall-to-wall water view above my desk.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I was just talking a break from dealing with a few office Slacks.
► Show Spoiler
It’s possible I know what you mean.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Goddamn cubical queens....

Try sweating in the aft service hole of a King Air C90 for 8 hours with 90+ F with 70+ humidity...

Then tell me we pay a fair share of taxes...

:sarcastic: :sarcastic: :sarcastic: :hammerandsickle:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Frater I*I wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:45 pm Goddamn cubical queens....

Try sweating in the aft service hole of a King Air C90 for 8 hours with 90+ F with 70+ humidity...

Then tell me we pay a fair share of taxes...

:sarcastic: :sarcastic: :sarcastic: :hammerandsickle:
You had me at sweating in the aft hole.

I’ll see myself out.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Foggy wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:26 am
Off Topic
That's diabolical. And, I love it. :biggrin:
Off Topic
How to find Gregg's office...

(Decorated for Haloween already, sorry,
Find this part of the plant (which is a mile long and half a mile wide BTW)

and this obscure hallway...

Past this sign, the Motorcar translation of '‘Beware of the Leopard.”

To this door on the left, notice the painted over glass windows done by a prior occupant to whom I am grateful... the far door is the former lavatory now filled with equipment.

Where if you have the key (no cheat codes, you either have to have one or convince security it is your office and you locked the key inside and don't ask how I know that works)

Where you will find my motorcar factory location where I does the stuff they pay me to do... if they can find me :rotflmao:

Office spac e is assigned by an arrcane formula where you are entitled to a certain sq footage, flooring, windows etc... I was amazed at how exact a science it is and at upper levels where you're talking about private bathrooms and plush carpet and stuff it's very cut throat. At my level there is a certain amount of being willing to forego what you are entitled to for more exoctice special case office space that most don't even know exist. That alone leads to some of these primo offices sitting empty just because they are that obscure. When I started to step back from beeing so actively involved in building things I had other offices I could have chosen but I pride myself in knowing stuff like this and knew that this particular office had been just sitting there for almost 2 years and I dsnapped it up.
People come looking for me and expect to find me up front and center, where I was for several years, and they go through the exact same reaction as Foggy...

"what are you doing way back....oh dude... you're a genius, how did you get way back here? :shh:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Does production stop when the popcorn machine breaks down ? ;)
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Everyting stops when the popcorn machine breaks down. :mrgreen:

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Of course, the pace ain't exactly frantic on a Saturdaay...

We have weekened priorities...

tek

Post by tek »

Off Topic
Back when I was at Medium Sized Computer Company, I moved my office into the lab.
Huge windows overlooking the mill pond, in the far corner away from the keycard door...

My productivity skyrocketed.

(The group vice president had a window in his office too, overlooking a large electrical transformer. Then again, he was an MIT grad - he might have preferred that.)
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

tek wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:38 am
Off Topic
Back when I was at Medium Sized Computer Company, I moved my office into the lab.
Huge windows overlooking the mill pond, in the far corner away from the keycard door...

My productivity skyrocketed.

(The group vice president had a window in his office too, overlooking a large electrical transformer. Then again, he was an MIT* grad - he might have preferred that.)

'He did.

Trust me, he did...

* or as we called it, "The Vocational School down by the river" :rotflmao:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

on the way to become a world leading economic super power :twisted:
Government to increase fees across immigration and nationality visa routes and services by up to 35% on 4 October
Increase of 15% for work and visit visas, at least 20% for priority and study visas and certificates of sponsorship

By EIN
Date of Publication: 18 September 2023

The House of Commons Library on Friday published an updated briefing on immigration fees. You can read it below or download it here.

Report coverIt was published just before the Government laid new secondary legislation in Parliament on Friday afternoon to increase fees across immigration and nationality visa routes and services.

The new Immigration and Nationality (Fees) (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations 2023 makes many changes to fees and they will come into effect on 4 October.

As the Home Office noted in a press release, there will be a 15% increase in the cost of most work and visit visas, and an increase of at least 20% in the cost of priority visas, study visas and certificates of sponsorship. The fee for applying for a student visa from outside the UK is rising by 35%.

You can see all of the new fees here on GOV.UK.

The planned 66% increase in the cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) was not included among Friday's changes, however, and the Home Office says this will be introduced later in the autumn.

The explanatory memorandum for the new fees Regulations explains: "The Government is pursuing a range of fee increases across immigration and nationality routes in order to increase the contribution that fee income makes to meeting wider costs within the migration and borders system, allowing taxpayer funding, that would have otherwise been required to meet those costs, to be prioritised for other purposes. This is in line with the Government's wider approach to immigration and nationality fees over the last decade, in which it has sought to move the system onto a substantially self-funded basis. For reference, income from these fees was £1.9bn in 21/22 with the system's operating costs at £4.8bn. The proposed increases to fees as an entire package are estimated to deliver c.£184m in 23/24 and c.£562m in 24/25."

As the House of Commons Library notes in its briefing, the income from immigration and nationality fees has risen sharply from £184 million in 2003 to £1.5 billion in 2021, not including another £1.4 billion in surcharge and £349 million in employer levies.

https://www.ein.org.uk/news/government- ... vices-35-4.

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”