SCOTUS

Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Re: SCOTUS

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:56 pm
Clarence Thomas says he worries respect for institutions is eroding

Justice Clarence Thomas said Friday that the judiciary is threatened if people are unwilling to “live with outcomes we don’t agree with” and that recent events at the Supreme Court might be “one symptom of that.”
:snippity:
“It bodes ill for a free society,” he said. It can’t be that institutions “give you only the outcome you want, or can be bullied” to do the same, he said.
So, he's outright admitting that his wife's participation in an attempt to overturn the 2020 election is a threat to the judiciary?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:38 pm https://www.un.org/en/genocidepreventio ... nity.shtml
Article 7
Crimes Against Humanity

For the purpose of this Statute, ‘crime against humanity’ means any of the following acts when committed as part of a widespread or systematic attack directed against any civilian population, with knowledge of the attack:
Murder;
Extermination;
Enslavement;
Deportation or forcible transfer of population;
Imprisonment or other severe deprivation of physical liberty in violation of fundamental rules of international law;
Torture;
Rape, sexual slavery, enforced prostitution, forced pregnancy, enforced sterilization, or any other form of sexual violence of comparable gravity;
Persecution against any identifiable group or collectivity on political, racial, national, ethnic, cultural, religious, gender as defined in paragraph 3, or other grounds that are universally recognized as impermissible under international law, in connection with any act referred to in this paragraph or any crime within the jurisdiction of the Court;
Enforced disappearance of persons;
The crime of apartheid;
Other inhumane acts of a similar character intentionally causing great suffering, or serious injury to body or to mental or physical health.

The formatting didn't copy over.

Thanks! Really good to know. :bighug:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Shannon Coulter @shannoncoulter wrote: Christine Blasey Ford has had to move four times since the Kavanaugh hearing and I'm supposed to feel bad he has some protestors outside his house?
Also worth pointing out that as much as the breathless right wing media would have one believe that the protests outside Kavanaugh's home were organized by outside left wing agitators, they were actually organized by... His neighbors.
joshua @jdgtranen wrote: if kavanaugh doesn’t like the pro abortion protests outside his house, he can simply drive or relocate to a different state. right?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Rachel Vindman 🌻 @natsechobbyist wrote: I care just as much as Justice Alito cared for my family when we were in danger.
Kristan Hawkins @KristanHawkins wrote: Justice Alito and his family have been moved to an undisclosed location. Let us pray for he and his family’s safety.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Law Boy, Esq. @The_Law_Boy wrote: when discussing the propriety of protesting outside of supreme court justices' homes, it's important to remember that in the 90s the court held that protesting outside of the homes of **abortion clinic employees** is protected by the first amendment

there's been chatter about 18 U.S. Code § 1507, which seems to make protesting outside of a judge's home illegal. i'd think that if protesting outside of some random clinic employees' house is protected, so is protesting outside of the homes of powerful public figures
It was pointed out in the comments that while abortion clinic employees are generally considered public figures among the the country's elite, Supreme Court Justices are considered regular blue collar joes, hence the difference in protest allowances.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

p0rtia wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:05 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:12 pm I'm as angry as the next person but have there been any whispers of violence or destruction vis a vis the Supreme Courthouse? I mean, we're Antifa, not Oath Keepers.
I've watched the word being used by progressives in a wholly positive way to mean simply anti-fascist, but my understanding has been that the original Antifa groups believed in meeting violence with violence.

Yes/No?

FTR, not interested in the insane imaginary ways that the RWNJ's use the term.
Ya, the original Antifa (Antifaschistische Aktion) was pretty much a bunch of Commie Beer Hall gang using Batons on Nat-zee Gangs in 193-1933. The Antifa groups that formed in Austria in the 1980s had nothing to do with the original Antifa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifaschistische_Aktion
Hic sunt dracones
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Imma still searching for the Antifa website and local chapter that I can join up with. Never found. Must be on the "dark web" maybe?
raison de arizona

Off Topic
Speaking of antifa, Andy Ngo will bring them to justice for the low low price of only $35 (or more.)
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Can't wait to hear how he plans to serve "Antifa."
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/aucti ... uxbndlbing
Auction of Ruth Bader Ginsburg's items raises over $800,000

All told, an online auction of 150 items owned by the late justice raised $803,650 for Washington National Opera, one of Ginsburg's passions. The auction ended in late April, and buyers are now picking up items or arranging to have them shipped to their homes in 38 states, the District of Columbia, Canada and Germany. Winning bids ranged from $850 to $55,000.

Elizabeth Haynie Wainstein, the owner of The Potomack Company auction house in Virginia, said they were "just really blown away by the interest." A pre-sale estimate suggested the auction could raise $50,000 to $80,000.

Ginsburg died of cancer at age 87 in September 2020. In her later years, the court's second female justice and liberal icon also become a pop culture figure known as the "Notorious RBG." In January, an online auction of her books brought in $2.3 million, almost 30 times the pre-sale estimate, according to Bonhams, the company that conducted the auction.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:17 pm Can't wait to hear how he plans to serve "Antifa."
I'm assuming no one who has asked him this question publicly has gotten a response. Or even whether he has identified specific 'Antifa' to sue.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:18 pm
Law Boy, Esq. @The_Law_Boy wrote: when discussing the propriety of protesting outside of supreme court justices' homes, it's important to remember that in the 90s the court held that protesting outside of the homes of **abortion clinic employees** is protected by the first amendment

there's been chatter about 18 U.S. Code § 1507, which seems to make protesting outside of a judge's home illegal. i'd think that if protesting outside of some random clinic employees' house is protected, so is protesting outside of the homes of powerful public figures
I do not suppose anyone knows what case SCOTUS ruled on that involved the right to protest outside abortion clinic worker's homes? I found McCULLEN v. COAKLEY from 2014 that deals with buffers around clinics, but that is it so far.
raison de arizona

neeneko wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:20 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:18 pm

I do not suppose anyone knows what case SCOTUS ruled on that involved the right to protest outside abortion clinic worker's homes? I found McCULLEN v. COAKLEY from 2014 that deals with buffers around clinics, but that is it so far.
https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme- ... 2/753.html
https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/98-1856.ZS.html
https://www.truthorfiction.com/in-the-9 ... amendment/
bob

Post by bob »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:17 pm Can't wait to hear how he plans to serve "Antifa."
In the past, Ngo has sued Rose City [aka Portland] Antifa, which is a group. It is quite possible to sue unincorporated associations.

The value is doing so, however, is a different issue. But this just a Klayman Special, that is, lawsuit as grift. So there is a value: separating money from the gullible.
Image ImageImage
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-AAX7mYa
The latest Yahoo/YouGov poll on Americans’ confidence in the Supreme Court shows a stunning deterioration in faith in the high court since it was last conducted 20 months ago – just days before Justice Amy Coney Barrett’s expedited confirmation.

The poll last gauged Americans’ confidence in the court in September 2020, during the few days between liberal icon Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s death and then-President Donald Trump nominating Coney Barrett.

At that time, the poll found that 70 percent of registered voters had either “some” or “a lot” of confidence in the Supreme Court – 50 and 20 percent respectively.

Only 23 percent said that had “a little” confidence in the court, while 7 percent said that had “none.”

Skip ahead to today and voters’ attitudes have swung “by a colossal 40-point margin,” notes Yahoo’s Andrew Romano.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Just dropping this here.

https://thenewsblender.com/2018/07/essa ... revisited/
“At the establishment of our constitutions, the judiciary bodies were supposed to be the most helpless and harmless members of the government. Experience however soon showed in what way they were to become the most dangerous: that the insufficiency of the means provided for their removal gave them a freehold and irresponsibility in office; that their decisions, seeming to concern individual suitors only, pass silent and unheeded by the public at large; that these decisions nevertheless become law by precedent, sapping by little and little the foundations of the Constitution, and working it’s change by construction, before any one has perceived that that invisible and helpless worm has been busily employed in consuming it’s substance.”

– Thomas Jefferson, letter to Monsieur A. Coray, October 31, 1823
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Do you really think they care?

I agree that the court system should not be a popularity contest. A good judicial system is like a well-umpired baseball game. If you notice the umpires as much as the players on the field, then there is something wrong with the way the umpires did their jobs. The umpires should be in the background, and the justices likewise.

Instead, we have the Supreme Court pulling rabbits out of hats with magical legalese, and some might say sophistry.

I never thought such learned, impartial, and unbiased individuals would start to legislate from the bench. I am so naive. :shrug:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:yeahthat:

You must have seen the Red Sox game last night..... :crying:
raison de arizona

Supreme Court sides with Ted Cruz, striking down cap on use of campaign funds to repay personal campaign loans

The Supreme Court on Monday ruled in favor of Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas in a case involving the use of campaign funds to repay personal campaign loans, dealing the latest blow to campaign finance regulations.

The court said that a federal cap on candidates using political contributions after the election to recoup personal loans made to their campaign was unconstitutional.
In her dissenting opinion, Kagan criticized the majority for ruling against a law that she said was meant to combat "a special danger of corruption" aimed at "political contributions that will line a candidate's own pockets."

"In striking down the law today," she wrote, "the Court greenlights all the sordid bargains Congress thought right to stop. . . . In allowing those payments to go forward unrestrained, today's decision can only bring this country's political system into further disrepute."

Indeed, she explained, "Repaying a candidate's loan after he has won election cannot serve the usual purposes of a contribution: The money comes too late to aid in any of his campaign activities. All the money does is enrich the candidate personally at a time when he can return the favor -- by a vote, a contract, an appointment. It takes no political genius to see the heightened risk of corruption -- the danger of 'I'll make you richer and you'll make me richer' arrangements between donors and officeholders."
https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/16/politics ... index.html
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Because of course they did.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Supreme Court sides with Ted Cruz, striking down cap on use of campaign funds to repay personal campaign loans
Supreme Court decision supports campaign, candidate corruption

I rewrite headlines for fun.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

And Thomas thinks the leak lost the trust of the SC.

:rotflmao:

:mad:
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:51 pm
Supreme Court decision supports campaign, candidate corruption

I rewrite headlines for fun.
I wonder how long until SCOTUS decides pay to play and outright bribes are also 'freedom of speech'.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”