Fox News, Newsmax, OAN, and other TV purveyors of fake news

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:00 pm
Aaron Rupar @atrupar wrote: Fox News is devoting a segment to attacking Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce. Bold strategy, Cotton!
They really don't want the republicans to win with this strategy.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

That's got me confuzzled. How is attacking the most popular pop star in the world, with millions of devoted fans, going to help them? Are parents expected to order their kids to stop listening to her music? Yeah, that'll work.

Who'da thunk it, Taylor Swift, underground rebel. Somewhere, Frank Zappa is laughing his ass off.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

One time Donald tried to start a Twitter fight with LeBron James. This before he realized LeBron had a Twitter following in the 9 digits. Later that day, he quietly changed up and started attacking NFL players for kneeling on the sideline.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

This whole business is just nonsense. Taylor Swift isn't allowed to pick a side? What about Ted Nugent? Is he allowed to pick a side? What about Kid Rock, is he allowed to pick a side? I like how concerned Brian Kilmeade is regarding Swift supposedly alienating half her fans (news flash- half of Swifties are NOT also Trumpers.)
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:26 pm This whole business is just nonsense. Taylor Swift isn't allowed to pick a side? What about Ted Nugent? Is he allowed to pick a side? What about Kid Rock, is he allowed to pick a side? I like how concerned Brian Kilmeade is regarding Swift supposedly alienating half her fans (news flash- half of Swifties are NOT also Trumpers.)
For starters, Nugent and Richie Rich don't have ovaries.

And pretty sure Roseanne has an issue with self-loathing, possibly related to her mental illness.

ImageImageImage x4
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

The frothing anti-Taylor Swift campaign is shifting into overdrive. Link: https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... 234956829/

Trump is playing with fire here. Swift has enough power over her hundreds of millions of followers on social media that the GOP risks Armageddon if they piss her off. If they go after her proactively, she is likely to fight back with no holds barred, as she did with her former manager when he sold her catalog out from under her -- he's bleeding clients like a hemophiliac into chainsaw juggling.

Her message to her fans would be not just to endorse Joe Biden in the 2024 election but to make sure that you never, ever vote for the GOP because they are against everything that her fans stand for, even after they grow up and are no longer Taylor Swift fans. It'll hurt the GOP not only in the presidential election but at all levels. If 20,000 18 to 25-year-old high school and college kids register newly to vote in Montana and vote Democratic, they'll turn Montana blue. Margins are that thin not only in swing states but in small rural states that have been solidly red for years.
Singer-songwriter Taylor Swift hasn’t even endorsed President Joe Biden for reelection yet. That hasn’t stopped members of MAGAland’s upper crust from plotting to declare — as one source close to Donald Trump calls it — a “holy war” on the pop mega-star, especially if she ends up publicly backing the Democrats in the 2024 election.

According to three people familiar with the matter, Trump loyalists working on or close to the former president’s campaign, longtime Trump allies in right-wing media, and an array of outside advisers to the ex-president have long taken it as a given that Swift will eventually endorse Biden (as she did in 2020). Indeed, several of these Republicans and conservative media figures have discussed the matter with Trump over the past few months, the sources say.

While Swift has not yet issued an endorsement in the 2024 race, The New York Times reported Monday that Swift is a key name on Biden aides’ “wish lists of potential surrogates.” A potential Swift appearance at Super Bowl LVIII alongside her boyfriend, Kansas City Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce, has already prompted the MAGA right’s culture war pugilists into a conspiracy-fueled froth about how this NFL season has been rigged to boost Biden.

Behind the scenes, Trump has reacted to the possibility of Biden and Swift teaming up against him this year not with alarm, but with an instant projection of ego. In recent weeks, the former president has told people in his orbit that no amount of A-list celebrity endorsements will save Biden. Trump has also privately claimed that he is “more popular” than Swift is and that he has more committed fans than she does, a person close to Trump and another source with knowledge of the matter tell Rolling Stone.
That doesn't explain why Swift is instantly selling out 80,000 seat arenas around the world and he's having trouble filling high school gyms in New Hampshire.
Last month, the source close to Trump adds, the ex-president commented to some confidants that it “obviously” made no sense that he was not named Time magazine’s 2023 Person of the Year — an honor that went to none other than Swift in December.

Meanwhile, as Trump has been having a popularity contest with Swift in his own head, others close to him —including GOP operatives, some of his 2024 staff, and Trumpy media figures — have been brainstorming different ways to go after Swift. Since late last year, these Trump allies have repeatedly discussed how to turn the culture-warrior dial up to 11, if she re-endorses Biden this year, the sources recount.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Earth 2 rules.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I’m 66 and only recently became a Taylor, Swift fan, and I can only name one of her songs. But I do respect her business sense and her attempts to do something good in the world, other than top 40 hits. Also too, how many hundreds of dollars are people paying to fill up those huge arenas and Trump‘s high school auditorium entrance fees are zilch.

Let’s put Swift’s concert documentary and that vomit inducing God made Trump propaganda in one movie theater and see how many tickets sell for each.

ImageImageImage x4
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

New Turtle wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:16 pm One time Donald tried to start a Twitter fight with LeBron James. This before he realized LeBron had a Twitter following in the 9 digits. Later that day, he quietly changed up and started attacking NFL players for kneeling on the sideline.
He didn't learn from it. He's already saying he's more popular than taylor swift.
bob

Post by bob »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:10 pmHow is attacking the most popular pop star in the world, with millions of devoted fans, going to help them?
Playing to the base and motivating them to vote (read: spend) versus expanding the voter pool.

It isn't a horrible strategy for him to focus on his base, but I'm being charitable by assuming there's something beyond raw reactionary outrage.
Image ImageImage
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

I have been so confused about the Taylor Swift stuff. I've only really seen reactions to the "outrage." I wasn't sure what the MAGA outrage about Swift is, and it seems like now they're wrapping up the NFL or her boyfriend (or his team) in it.

Then I look here and see "it's a psy-op from the Pentagon, she's an 'asset';" and it's all about the possibility of her endorsing Biden. These people are nuts, but I have to give them credit for creativity. It's like that game where you pull word tiles out of a container and make a sentence with the random words you get.

It reminds me of the outrage over the beer that had an ad by a trans person (you can see I pay little attention to the outrage machine). All that hatred and energy over one ad? :brickwallsmall:
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

And her Kc Chiefs boyfriend dared to promote the Covid vaccine. Oh the humanity!

ImageImageImage x4
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Rolodex wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:46 pm I have been so confused about the Taylor Swift stuff. I've only really seen reactions to the "outrage." I wasn't sure what the MAGA outrage about Swift is, and it seems like now they're wrapping up the NFL or her boyfriend (or his team) in it.

Then I look here and see "it's a psy-op from the Pentagon, she's an 'asset';" and it's all about the possibility of her endorsing Biden. These people are nuts, but I have to give them credit for creativity. It's like that game where you pull word tiles out of a container and make a sentence with the random words you get.

It reminds me of the outrage over the beer that had an ad by a trans person (you can see I pay little attention to the outrage machine). All that hatred and energy over one ad? :brickwallsmall:
She committed the cardinal sin of coming out liberal (in 2018) after the neo-Nazis and white supremacists had put her on an Aryan pedestal, and then had the audacity to put together a get-out-the-vote drive that was very successful. And then she endorsed Biden in 2020!
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

I've always suspected that professional and amateur athletes and sports fans hated Jesus. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Thanks for the background. I forgot about that stuff with her a couple of years ago; maybe the vitriol wasn't as bad. And probably they're really pissed that she's invaded football, last bastion of the alpha male. LOL "invaded"

Funny that I don't hear about this with Simone Biles, who is married to a football guy and apparently goes to his games to cheer, same as Swift.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Fox News Is Scared as Hell of Taylor Swift Endorsing Joe Biden

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-news- ... etter%20PM
Amid reports that the White House is actively seeking the endorsement of Taylor Swift, Fox News stars are freaking out over the prospect that the global superstar may soon toss her support behind President Joe Biden and literally begging her to reconsider.

The conservative cable giant’s fear over the “Shake It Off” singer potentially backing Biden comes as right-wing media figures have targeted Swift with an absurd conspiracy theory that she’s part of a Deep State psy-op staged by the NFL and Democrats to defeat Donald Trump in the 2024 election.

While Fox News hasn’t fully bought into the deranged notion that Swift dating Kansas City Chiefs star Travis Kelce is a government plot and the Super Bowl is fixed—though Fox host Jesse Watters floated that very idea earlier this month— the network is actively trying to persuade Swift to “stay out of politics” and “stick to singing.”

After the Chiefs punched their ticket to the Super Bowl on Sunday, The New York Times reported the following day that the Biden administration is desperately hoping that Swift will repeat her 2020 endorsement of the president and boost his campaign among young voters. Besides adding more fuel to the fire of the right-wing fever swamp’s conspiracies, the story led to Fox News’ pro-Trump personalities expressing fear over the country’s most famous woman’s level of influence.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Dr. Ken wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:20 pm
New Turtle wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:16 pm One time Donald tried to start a Twitter fight with LeBron James. This before he realized LeBron had a Twitter following in the 9 digits. Later that day, he quietly changed up and started attacking NFL players for kneeling on the sideline.
He didn't learn from it. He's already saying he's more popular than taylor swift.
Fun fact that a colleague pointed out to me at work the other day: Taylor Swift's birthday is sometime towards the end of the year; I don't remember the exact date that was mentioned, but it's *after* the election but before year's end. She will be 35 on that birthday. So even though she will be 34 on Election Day she will be 35 years old before January 20, 2025 and is therefore eligible to run herself this year. Someone should point that out to TFG and see what happens. :lol:
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Not gonna bother with the link, but I just had a big chuckle over an article I just read. one of the Newsmax anchor lemmings was having a conniption fit over Taylor Swift, accusing her fans of idolatry, and that’s forbidden by the Bible!!!

I’ve yet to see a giant flag with Taylor Swift’s face on Rocky Balboa‘s body, but maybe that’s just me.

ImageImageImage x4
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:18 pm Not gonna bother with the link, but I just had a big chuckle over an article I just read. one of the Newsmax anchor lemmings was having a conniption fit over Taylor Swift, accusing her fans of idolatry, and that’s forbidden by the Bible!!!

I’ve yet to see a giant flag with Taylor Swift’s face on Rocky Balboa‘s body, but maybe that’s just me.
Imagine asking one of the art AIs to do up Swift pix in the style of all the TFG fan-art, then post them side by side.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

What on earth do they think this is going to accomplish? Pissing off her fans? Haven't they learned by now that this kind of shite can get people hurt? Somehow I think pissing off her huge fan base is not a good idea and could easily backfire.

She is young and in love, can't they just let them be happy?
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:23 pm And her Kc Chiefs boyfriend dared to promote the Covid vaccine. Oh the humanity!
They call him Mr. Pzier
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

sad-cafe wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:32 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:23 pm And her Kc Chiefs boyfriend dared to promote the Covid vaccine. Oh the humanity!
They call him Mr. Pzier
He got a $20M payday to do vaccine ads for Pfizer. So I guess he earned that moniker.
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Stepping back a little (because honestly this whole Taylor Swift thing makes me faintly nauseous) I'm wondering if the REAL reasons for this goes back to the long time beef that Trump had with the NFL - that he wasn't allowed to own an NFL team. Then he got control of the AFL and ran it into the ground in 6 months.

So he is now trying to attack the NFL to get revenge in his head? And this Twift bullshit is a roundabout way of doing attacking the NFL? Because he saw lots of photos of her at an NFL game and got jealous?

Who knows.
Hic sunt dracones
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Dr. Ken wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:42 pm
Oh yeah. Fer sure. Uh huh. Decades ago Biden, knowing his future in politics, turned football into a religion throughout the SEC so their people would abandon Jesus.

Return to “Current Politics”