Another Shooting

neeneko

Re: Another Shooting

Post by neeneko » Fri May 18, 2018 12:37 pm

Kendra wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:51 am
School shooting in Texas. Early reports not looking good. God bless all!
Well, I guess that tells us the race of the shooter.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri May 18, 2018 12:38 pm

neeneko wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:37 pm
Kendra wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:51 am
School shooting in Texas. Early reports not looking good. God bless all!
Well, I guess that tells us the race of the shooter.
I had the same thought.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Fri May 18, 2018 1:13 pm

You're so cyncal.

And so correct. :(

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri May 18, 2018 1:25 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri May 18, 2018 1:28 pm

I wish the community would hiss and boo the governor, Cornyn and Cruz when they speak.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri May 18, 2018 1:32 pm

I was meaning to post about this when the Santa FE HS shooting distracted me.

JJ MacNab

Verified account

@jjmacnab
Following Following @jjmacnab
More
I've spent the morning looking into Jonathan Oddi, the man who fire shots at Trump's golf course in Miami.

There aren't a lot of ideological markers, but I'm going to put the ones I find interesting in this thread.

12:27 PM - 18 May 2018

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Fri May 18, 2018 1:33 pm

Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

In the Trump era anything is true if enough people believe it.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue May 22, 2018 2:01 pm

Panama City active shooter situation on Beck Avenue

http://www.wjhg.com/content/news/Panama ... 54721.html
PANAMA CITY, Fla. (WJHG/WECP) - Panama City police say there is an active shooter situation on Beck Avenue.

Police say avoid the area of the 2300 block of Beck Avenue until further notice.

Multiple agencies are responding to the situation, including the Walton County Sheriff's Office and Sheriff Michael Adkinson.

Witnesses tell us they've heard more than 50 gunshots in the area.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue May 22, 2018 4:07 pm

Associated Press
Police swarm city street in Florida in apparent shootout

PANAMA CITY BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Multiple law enforcement agencies have surrounded a Panama City, Florida, apartment building where an active shooter is barricaded inside.

City spokeswoman Caitlyn Lawrence says it’s still an active situation. The suspect has been firing on law enforcement. One civilian received minor injuries in Tuesday’s shooting.

Walton County Sheriff’s officials said on Twitter that the incident is tied to a suspicious death in Santa Rosa Beach where a body was found inside a home. Few details have been released.

The Panama City News Herald initially reported that a suspect barricaded himself inside a bank. A bomb squad vehicle was seen in the bank parking lot. But Lawrence said the bank is near the apartment building and it appears the suspect is confined to the apartment building. ... A grocery store and nearby schools were evacuated. ... Witnesses said they heard more than 50 shots fired.

¡Sterngard! come home.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat May 26, 2018 12:18 pm

Addie wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 4:07 pm
Associated Press
Police swarm city street in Florida in apparent shootout

:snippity:
followup
Sheriff: Suspect in Florida standoff, gunfire, found dead
May. 23, 2018
https://apnews.com/5e03db52f487472f9f739495d1625629
PANAMA CITY, Fla. (AP) — A man suspected of trading wild bursts of gunfire with officers during a long standoff in the Florida Panhandle was found dead Tuesday in a gasoline-soaked apartment after an armored vehicle approached, authorities said.

“We were just blessed that we didn’t lose multiple officers and citizens today,” Bay County Sheriff Tommy Ford said at a news conference in Panama City, a small Gulf Coast city near the state’s famous sugar-sand beaches. He said a robot had to be deployed to check the apartment before officers could enter, finding the man dead.

No law enforcement agents were shot or wounded but one person leaving her apartment was injured and in stable condition, he said.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat May 26, 2018 1:35 pm

¡Sterngard! come home.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:06 pm

Even professional training isn't bulletproof (hahaha, I crack myself up) and yet they think 20 hours of training is enough for teachers. And of course, carrying in a bar is always a good idea.
DENVER (RNN) - Police are investigating an accidental shooting that left man hospitalized Saturday morning.

The incident occurred around 12:45 a.m. at the Mile High Spirits Distillery and Tasting Bar in Denver, CO.

An off-duty FBI agent was dancing at the night club when his firearm fell from its waistband holster onto the floor, a Denver Police Department spokesperson told the Denver Channel.

As agent picked up the handgun, “an unintended discharge occurred” hitting a man nearby in the leg.

The man was transported to the hospital with non life-threatening injuries.

It is unclear at this time if the FBI agent was carrying his own gun or if it was issued by the bureau.

The agent was taken to Denver Police Headquarters and later released. He has not been identified.

Charges will be determined by the Denver District Attorney’s Office, the spokesperson said.

Copyright 2018 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:34 pm

Welllll, a little more to it than just dancing when the gun fell from the holster.
And there's video.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... a964a7e5ad

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:24 pm

What happens after a shooting
A man was shot and killed by police. A jury gave his family $4.
By Kristine Phillips June 2 at 3:00 PM

Only three people know exactly what happened in the last seconds of Gregory Hill Jr.’s life: Hill and the two Florida sheriff’s deputies who went to his home that day in 2014, one of whom killed him.

Police said Hill pointed a gun at the deputies and ignored commands to drop it, forcing one of them to open fire. The gun would’ve fallen out of Hill’s hands, his family’s attorney said. But the unloaded weapon was found in the back pocket of the jean shorts Hill was wearing.

Hill’s mother sued St. Lucie County Sheriff Ken Mascara and Christopher Newman, the deputy who killed her son, for wrongful death. After nearly two weeks of trial and 10 hours of deliberation last month, a jury sided with police and found that Newman did nothing wrong. The eight jurors decided that Mascara was 1 percent at fault, while Hill was largely to blame for his death — at 99 percent — because he was drunk during the confrontation.

In a move that the family’s attorney said was doubly surprising, the jury gave money to the losing party: $4 — a dollar for funeral costs, which was about $11,000, and another for each of Hill’s three young children, ages 13, 10 and 7.

Adjusting for the blame the jury placed on Mascara, the family would receive only 1 percent of the $4, or 4 cents, said John Phillips, who represents Hill’s mother, Viola Bryant.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... -family-4/

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:49 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:34 pm
Welllll, a little more to it than just dancing when the gun fell from the holster.
And there's video.
Brilliant!

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:29 pm

WaPo
Suspect in Arizona killings fatally shoots himself in hotel room as officers close in, police say

A man suspected in a string of killings in the Phoenix suburb of Scottsdale, Ariz., fatally shot himself as police closed in Monday, ending a days-long manhunt that has left many in the legal and mental health communities on edge.

Officers with the Scottsdale and Phoenix police departments tried to contact the suspect at an Extended Stay hotel in Scottsdale on Monday morning. Sgt. Vince Lewis, a spokesman for the Phoenix Police Department, told reporters that the suspect fired multiple gunshots from inside his room as officers were evacuating the hotel, before turning the gun on himself.

Police have not said who the suspect was or why they think he committed the killings, other than that he was an adult male. No one else was injured, Lewis said. The victims in the days-long killing spree worked in related fields.

The first victim was a prominent forensic psychiatrist who had consulted in high-profile murder cases, including the 1996 killing of child beauty-pageant star JonBenét Ramsey. Police said Steven Pitt, 59, was shot in broad daylight Thursday afternoon outside his office on the outskirts of Scottsdale.

Less than 24 hours later, at about 2 p.m. Friday, two paralegals were shot inside a law firm in downtown Scottsdale, across the street from government offices. Police said one of the women, who had been shot in the head, was able to get out of the building and flag a bus driver for help before she died. Police followed her blood trail and found the other victim.

¡Sterngard! come home.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:34 pm

Our member poutine, an attorney (who hasn't been here recently), worked closely with the forensic psychiatrist who was murdered. He may have known the others, too. Any profession is a small world in your city.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:37 pm

vic wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:19 pm
I'd add that whether the presence of the resource officer made a difference or not, the shooter's target appeared to be Jaelynn Willey; the wounded student was hit by the same bullet which caused her fatal injuries. And after shooting Jaelynn, the shooter didn't appear to seek out or threaten anyone else. So under no circumstances did the good guy with the gun prevent anything, other than the shooter's possibly leaving the school.
Sorry for delayed comment. I am 100% opposed to guns in schools, armed teachers etc, because the risks greatly outweigh the benefits. But I do not believe that position is compromised by acknowledging this brave officer's response. By confronting and containing an active shooter, they may have saved many other lives. They did not know who all the intended targets were, or how much ordnance the shooter was carrying. Nor do we.

It would be churlish sour grapes to minimise the heroic effect of this "good guy with a gun" because it doesn't suit the wider policy debate about chalkboard sheriffs. An isolated case of effective intervention does not prove or disprove anything, except the courage of the individual.

vic

Post by vic » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:28 pm

Hercule Parrot wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:37 pm
vic wrote:
I'd add that whether the presence of the resource officer made a difference or not, the shooter's target appeared to be Jaelynn Willey; the wounded student was hit by the same bullet which caused her fatal injuries. And after shooting Jaelynn, the shooter didn't appear to seek out or threaten anyone else. So under no circumstances did the good guy with the gun prevent anything, other than the shooter's possibly leaving the school.
Sorry for delayed comment. I am 100% opposed to guns in schools, armed teachers etc, because the risks greatly outweigh the benefits. But I do not believe that position is compromised by acknowledging this brave officer's response. By confronting and containing an active shooter, they may have saved many other lives. They did not know who all the intended targets were, or how much ordnance the shooter was carrying. Nor do we.

It would be churlish sour grapes to minimise the heroic effect of this "good guy with a gun" because it doesn't suit the wider policy debate about chalkboard sheriffs. An isolated case of effective intervention does not prove or disprove anything, except the courage of the individual.
Why are you reading something which wasn't in what I said? I was very explicit that I was referring to this incident not proving whether or not the good guy with the gun changed something. I didn't make a judgement on the heroism of the good guy with a gun. Please don't read something which isn't there.

Your expanding on what I said would be fine - except that your second graf, as a reply to a comment I made, implies that I was exhibiting said behaviors.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:40 pm

NBC 5 Dallas
5 Hurt as Gunman Opens Fire at Football Game in Dallas

Five people were wounded in a shooting at a football game in the Fair Park neighborhood of Dallas Sunday night, police say.

The shooting occured after "a disturbance broke out between unknown males" before 9:30 p.m. at the Juanita Craft Recreation Center, police said.

Witnesses told police a man walked to the field, got on a moped and drove into the middle of the field where he opened fire on the crowd, officials said. According to police, witnesses reported multiple people began shooting back at the gunman.

Of the five wounded, two women were listed in critical condition, police said. Another woman and two men had injuries not considered life threatening.

Police were working to identify the shooter.

¡Sterngard! come home.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:03 pm

Fair Park was a second home to me and my friends Paul, Bobby, and Jimmy, all from Oak Cliff. Why was it Oak C!iff,? Was it OK that my Chevy transmission died there?

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:12 pm

Addie wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:40 pm
NBC 5 Dallas
5 Hurt as Gunman Opens Fire at Football Game in Dallas

Five people were wounded in a shooting at a football game in the Fair Park neighborhood of Dallas Sunday night, police say.

The shooting occured after "a disturbance broke out between unknown males" before 9:30 p.m. at the Juanita Craft Recreation Center, police said.

Witnesses told police a man walked to the field, got on a moped and drove into the middle of the field where he opened fire on the crowd, officials said. According to police, witnesses reported multiple people began shooting back at the gunman.

Of the five wounded, two women were listed in critical condition, police said. Another woman and two men had injuries not considered life threatening.

Police were working to identify the shooter.
A good reason to outlaw weapons at sporting events. I'm half expecting a follow-up report that says one or more of the wounded were from the "good guys with guns" and not the actual shooter.

We spent a ton of time at Fair Park with the kids when they were little. There was always something going on there.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:31 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:34 pm
And there's video.
It looks like it went off when he picked it back up, not when it hit the ground.

Unless he actually pulled the trigger, I'm not sure how that could have happened with a modern double action handgun.

"I asked Osama bin Laden and he very strongly said that he had nothing to do with crashing airplanes into the World Trade Center and Pentagon. I don't see any reason it would be Al-Qaeda."

-George W. Bush

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:18 pm

Not another shooting, but very sad. This company gave shields to put in backpacks for high school. I know this area of the state. It's a lovely little community outside of Philadelphia. What has this country become?

http://www.fox29.com/news/graduating-8t ... igh-school
Unequal donated the ballistic shields to the graduating 8th grade class and 25 plates were given to school faculty. Vito’s daughter attends St. Cornelius.

Parents and guardians seemed both impressed, and saddened, by the event.

"You hear about these school shootings almost weekly, and I can't believe that's where we are in our nation today, but that's the fact," said one great-grandparent who was attending the event.

Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:24 pm

vic wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:28 pm
Hercule Parrot wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:37 pm
vic wrote:

Why are you reading something which wasn't in what I said? I was very explicit that I was referring to this incident not proving whether or not the good guy with the gun changed something. I didn't make a judgement on the heroism of the good guy with a gun. Please don't read something which isn't there.

Your expanding on what I said would be fine - except that your second graf, as a reply to a comment I made, implies that I was exhibiting said behaviors.
My apologies, Vic. I interpreted your text "under no circumstances did the good guy with the gun prevent anything, other than the shooter's possibly leaving the school" as a firmly expressed opinion. If your intended meaning was that it didn't prove anything either way, then I have misunderstood and misrepresented you.

Please be assured I wasn't seeking to criticise you specifically, my point was only about polarization of the debate. Eg that we liberals have to accept that sometimes a good guy with a gun can provide lifesaving protective effect, and the second amendment campaigners have to accept that it can sometimes make a bad situation worse. The debate is really about the scale and frequency of the sometimes, I think.

I retract and regret any implication that you were being churlish. I will read more carefully before replying next time.

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”