Media Moves

Reality Check

Re: Media Moves

Post by Reality Check » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:33 pm

I recall that on the evening before the 2012 election most of the Sinclair stations aired a special program that was nothing more than than an anti-Obama campaign ad for Mitt Romney masquerading as a documentary, Sinclair is bad, really bad.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:37 pm

We record the Sinclair station and watch it for the comedy value. Every night, it's "Weather First." (They also share a weatherman with another station! :lol: ) Then the bullshit starts. We find it hilarious for the incredibly amateur production value and ridiculous stories, but most of the locals take it seriously.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:43 pm

Do the Sinclair anchors read that "fake news" statement every day?

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:46 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:43 pm
Do the Sinclair anchors read that "fake news" statement every day?
It’s my understanding Sinclair sends out at least 1 ‘must read’ story per day.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Michael J

Post by Michael J » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:01 pm

This Sinclair Broadcast Group is extremely dangerous to our democracy.

"The genius of the Constitution rests not in any static meaning it might have had in a world dead and gone, but in the adaptability of its great principles to cope with current problems and current needs." - Justice William J. Brennan, Jr.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:36 pm

Thanks for the hug, Addie. I needed that. :lovestruck:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:01 am

WHCA

@whca

The White House Correspondents' Association is pleased to announce that Maggie Haberman of The New York Times is the winner of the Aldo Beckman Memorial Award for her coverage of the White House. @maggieNYT
12:18 PM - Apr 2, 2018
:thumbs:

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:28 am

Volkonski wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:01 am
https:// twitter.com/whca/status/980856914354438145
WHCA @whca

The White House Correspondents' Association is pleased to announce that Maggie Haberman of The New York Times is the winner of the Aldo Beckman Memorial Award for her coverage of the White House. @maggieNYT
12:18 PM - Apr 2, 2018
:thumbs:
Do we already expect a twitter storm over the failing NYT and their staff?

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:34 am

https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainm ... ng-points/
Turmoil inside KOMO News as conservative owner Sinclair mandates talking points
Worth reading. It's not so easy to say FU to the new owners and walk away.

Actually, this isn't funny at all.
None of it.
When media giants gobble up local news stations, there are repercussions. And since you brought it up first this morning, will your admin green light the Tribune buyout?

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:17 pm

I never have quite understood the constant need to merge with another company and then turn around and sell off a bunch of stuff. Now we have Viacom who purchased an earlier version of CBS Corporation and then that Viacom split into a new Viacom and CBS, followed by CBS submitting a bid to buy Viacom.

What the hell do they teach in business school? When in doubt, by and sell other companies? Producing a product is not a business interest?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... deal-talks
CBS Submits Viacom Bid, Signaling Start of Deal Talks

CBS Corp. submitted its bid to acquire Viacom Inc., the owner of MTV and Comedy Central, according to a person with knowledge of the matter, opening negotiations that will decide the fate of the two media companies controlled by the Redstone family.

A special committee of five CBS board members put together the offer, which calls for CBS management to lead the recombined company. CBS is led by Leslie Moonves, chief executive officer, and his No. 2, Joseph Ianniello, chief operating officer.

CBS is offering a below-market value for Viacom shares, according to the person, who asked not to be identified discussing non-public deliberations. Viacom shares climbed following reports in early January that the companies again planned to explore a merger but have retreated more than 4 percent over the past couple days on reports of the possible terms.

An independent board committee at Viacom will now negotiate with its counterpart at CBS to agree on a price and operational structure that satisfies both sides. The companies aim to reach a deal before they report financial results in May, though the proposal offered no fixed timetable.

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:26 am

Sinclair Station GM Puts Gag Order on Employees Amid Controversy Over Pro-Trump Promos: ‘Don’t Talk to Any Press’
by Ken Meyer | 10:43 am, April 3rd, 2018

Employees for a Sinclair Broadcasting affiliate in Oregon have reportedly received a memo ordering them not to talk to the press.

Sinclair has been under major scrutiny lately in light of their corporate campaign to have all their local TV networks share the same scripted, anti-media talking points around the country. According to FTVLive, KATU general manager Robert Truman recently issued an internal memo instructing his staff in Portland not to answer questions from anyone contacting the network.

“Please DO NOT answer any questions or get into any discussion with callers, as they try to navigate to someone internally,” the memo states. “Most certainly don’t talk to the press about the issue. Direct them to the website and press inquiries to me.”

Truman also warned that “giving statements to the media or sharing negative information about the company can have huge implications.”

https://www.mediaite.com/online/sinclai ... any-press/

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:23 pm

Democratic Sen. Dick Durbin is calling on Sinclair Broadcasting Group’s Executive Chairman to explain his company’s policy regarding mandating content for local news stations.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:40 am

http://www.providencejournal.com/opinio ... i-landmark
If there’s one thing I’ve learned after more than a decade in journalism, it’s that the facts are rarely black and white. Newsworthy stories are often complicated. And the truth is seldom easily explained.

Such is the case with the current controversy plaguing Sinclair Broadcast Group — the owner of NBC 10 (WJAR-TV) since 2014, and my former employer.

The company’s “must-run” promotional advertising spots, using local anchors from its 173 stations, have caused an uproar here in Rhode Island and nationwide.

And make no mistake about it, those concerns are valid.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:43 am

http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/08/media/s ... 133AMStory
Sinclair allows critical ad to air, sandwiched between its defense

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:06 pm

CNBC
Fox offices in London raided by European Commission investigators

European Commission investigators raided Twenty-First Century Fox's London office on Tuesday, The Daily Telegraph reported.

Sources at the location told the newspaper that authorities were trying to be discreet and had been told to keep details of their mission confidential. The Telegraph reported that investigators will be on site through Wednesday and maybe Thursday.

The raid comes amid Fox's drawn out takeover of Sky, which has fallen under intense scrutiny by regulators at the U.K.'s Competition and Markets Authority.

Earlier this year, the agency provisionally found Fox's bid would not be in the public interest. It said there are concerns that the deal may lead to the Murdoch Family Trust wielding too much influence over public opinion and the political agenda.

Fox Networks Group said in a statement to CNBC that it is "cooperating fully with the EC inspection." The European Commission did not immediately respond to CNBC's request for comment.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:42 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... e499721789
Sinclair attacks CNN with video alleging ‘hypocrisy’ in ‘fake news’ debate

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:28 pm

Oh, dear :lol:

WaPo
The Washington Post wins 2 Pulitzer Prizes for reporting on Russian interference and Alabama Senate race

The Washington Post was awarded two Pulitzer Prizes on Monday, capturing journalism’s most prestigious honor for its investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election and for its coverage of the 2017 Senate race in Alabama, in which The Post broke the story of sexual misconduct allegations against the Republican candidate, Roy Moore.

Both sets of stories exposed secret or undisclosed information that have altered America’s political landscape. The Post’s revelations about Russia, including contacts between Russian figures and President Trump’s associates and advisers, helped set the stage for the special counsel’s ongoing investigation of the administration. The Moore stories were a factor in changing what had seemed like a certain victory for the Republican candidate. Both investigations were produced amid unusually harsh criticism, including from the president himself.

The reporting about Moore and subsequent coverage of attempts to discredit The Post’s work won in the investigative journalism category. The Russia-related stories shared the Pulitzer for national reporting with the New York Times, which was recognized for its work on the same topic. Post reporters have now won or shared the national reporting Pulitzer four times in the last four years.

The Times and the New Yorker magazine also shared the gold medal for public service, the highest honor in the 101-year-old competition, for their work documenting allegations of harassment and sexual assault involving prominent men in the entertainment industry and news media. The award went to a team of reporters at the Times that focused on Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein, former Fox News host Bill O’Reilly and comedian Louis C.K., and to the New Yorker’s Ronan Farrow, who revealed Weinstein’s allegedly violent interactions with acclaimed actresses and efforts to cover them up.
Adding:
Politico: Pulitzer Prizes honor reporting on Trump-Russia, sexual misconduct scandals

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:22 pm

Wall Street Journal
Nate Silver’s FiveThirtyEight Is Moving to ABC News

Statistics guru Nate Silver is leaving ESPN, but he’s staying under the Walt Disney Co. umbrella.

FiveThirtyEight, the politics and news site Mr. Silver founded, is moving to Disney-owned ABC News after five years at the sports broadcaster, ESPN and ABC News said Tuesday.

Taking on FiveThirtyEight is part of ABC News’s plans to fortify its political reporting in advance of the 2018 midterm elections, said James Goldston, ABC News president. He said the site’s partnership with ESPN had “run its course for both sides” and that ABC News would be a better fit for its emphasis on politics.

“What’s really happening here is that FiveThirtyEight is moving to a home that’s better suited to what FiveThirtyEight does,” Mr. Goldston said. “Obviously, FiveThirtyEight also does sports, but the balance of what FiveThirtyEight does is politics.”

¡Sterngard! come home.

bob

Post by bob » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:47 pm

CNN: 'Mass firing' at conservative site RedState:
Salem Media, owner of the influential conservative outlet RedState, froze the site on Friday and dismissed many of its writers.

Bloggers were locked out of their accounts -- some just temporarily, while the cuts were made, and others permanently.

Erick Erickson, the site's longtime editor who left in 2015, tweeted about what he called the "mass firing" on Friday morning.

"Very sad to see, but not really surprising given Salem's direction," he wrote. "And, finally, after all these years, they've turned off my account."

Multiple sources told CNNMoney that they believed conservative critics of President Trump were the writers targeted for removal.

"Insufficiently partisan" was the phrase one writer used in a RedState group chat.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:36 pm

If someone had told me two years ago that I would be watching the WH Correspondent dinner, but that I'd also be recognizing the names of the reporters I would said they were crazy. Yet here I am, watching the photo ops. April Ryan looked smashing.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:53 pm

Kendra wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:36 pm
If someone had told me two years ago that I would be watching the WH Correspondent dinner, but that I'd also be recognizing the names of the reporters I would said they were crazy. Yet here I am, watching the photo ops. April Ryan looked smashing.
:like:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:05 pm

The Chin is there.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon May 14, 2018 1:27 pm

[attachment=0]DdFUD2-XUAAG6FP.jpeg[/attachment]

Jennifer Mendelsohn

@CleverTitleTK
Except the 1930 census says Tomi's 3x great-grandmother had been here for 41 years and still spoke German.

Her 2nd great-grandmother had been here for 10 yrs. Spoke no English.

Her great-grandfather's 1895 baptism from MN? Recorded in Norwegian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue May 29, 2018 3:25 pm

ABC cancels 'Roseanne' following racist tweet on Valerie Jarrett

ABC says it’s canceling “Roseanne” following an “abhorrent” tweet from the show’s star.

ABC Entertainment President Channing Dungey announced Tuesday: “Roseanne's Twitter statement is abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values, and we have decided to cancel her show.”

The stunning move to cancel the rebooted sitcom — which premiered to record-high ratings in March — came just hours after Roseanne Barr incited a firestorm with what she later called a “bad joke” about Valerie Jarrett. <SNIP>
http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in ... s-roseanne

earlier posts at The Hill:
Roseanne Barr apologizes for racially charged 'bad joke' about Valerie Jarrett, says she's leaving Twitter
Roseanne Barr ✔
@therealroseanne
I apologize. I am now leaving Twitter.
7:28 AM - May 29, 2018
Roseanne Barr ✔
@therealroseanne
I apologize to Valerie Jarrett and to all Americans. I am truly sorry for making a bad joke about her politics and her looks. I should have known better. Forgive me-my joke was in bad taste.
7:33 AM - May 29, 2018
http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in ... joke-about
Roseanne Barr targets former Obama adviser in racially charged tweet

“Roseanne” star Roseanne Barr attacked former Obama White House adviser Valerie Jarett on Tuesday in a tweet alleging connections to the Muslim Brotherhood that many have called racist.

In the tweet, the ABC star attacked Jarett, who was born in Iran, as a child of the Islamist organization Muslim Brotherhood and the movie “Planet of the Apes.”

“Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj,” Barr wrote, using Jarrett's initials and responding to a tweet accusing the former Obama adviser of helping “hide” misdeeds for the Obama administration.
muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj
— Roseanne Barr (@therealroseanne) May 29, 2018
Barr also sent out a number of other tweets Tuesday morning, lashing out at billionaire liberal donor George Soros and former President Clinton's daughter, Chelsea Clinton, whom the comedian linked to a right-wing conspiracy accusing Soros of trying to orchestrate “the overthrow of us constitutional republic.” <SNIP>
http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in ... ly-charged

additional posts at The Hill: < lastest posted first >

Roseanne Barr dropped by talent agency
Disney CEO: Cancelling 'Roseanne' was the only option
John Lewis praises ABC for canceling 'Roseanne': 'You did the right thing'
Scarborough thanks ABC for cancelling 'Roseanne'
Sara Gilbert: Roseanne's comments about Valerie Jarrett 'abhorrent'
Ex-'Roseanne' writer: 'Nauseating' to see who Roseanne has become
Wanda Sykes leaving 'Roseanne' after Valerie Jarrett tweet
Scarborough calls for ABC to stop airing 'Roseanne' over racial tweet

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue May 29, 2018 3:37 pm

Roseanne Barr was dropped by her talent agency, ICM Partners, who said her “disgraceful and unacceptable tweet” was “antithetical to our core values, both as individuals and as an agency. Consequently, we have notified her that we will not represent her.”
When will DOTUS come to her rescue?

Return to “Media & Social Media”