:bighug:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Re: Acts of Kindness

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri May 18, 2018 9:53 am

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/co ... ar-AAxsVFX
Couple finds buried safe in backyard

The couple saw the metal box between some trees when they moved in to their Staten Island home in New York, but never paid much attention to it.

After digging it up they realized it was a rusty old safe. Inside they found wet money, and a lot of jewelry in plastic bags.

"Hundreds, jewelry, diamonds, engagement ring. Dozens of rings, gold with jade. It was stunning," said Matthew.

There was also a piece of paper with an address -- one of their neighbors.

First, I knocked on the door and I asked them if they were ever robbed and they said they were," Matthew said.

According to the New York Police Department, a burglary was reported at their neighbors' home the day after Christmas in 2011. The only thing taken was the safe. It had a large amount of cash, jewelry and other items inside: a total of $52,000 worth of property, police said.

"The cops told her, you'll never see your stuff again," said Matthew's wife, Maria.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Fri May 18, 2018 10:11 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:53 am
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/co ... ar-AAxsVFX
Couple finds buried safe in backyard

The couple saw the metal box between some trees when they moved in to their Staten Island home in New York, but never paid much attention to it.

After digging it up they realized it was a rusty old safe. Inside they found wet money, and a lot of jewelry in plastic bags.

"Hundreds, jewelry, diamonds, engagement ring. Dozens of rings, gold with jade. It was stunning," said Matthew.

There was also a piece of paper with an address -- one of their neighbors.

First, I knocked on the door and I asked them if they were ever robbed and they said they were," Matthew said.

According to the New York Police Department, a burglary was reported at their neighbors' home the day after Christmas in 2011. The only thing taken was the safe. It had a large amount of cash, jewelry and other items inside: a total of $52,000 worth of property, police said.

"The cops told her, you'll never see your stuff again," said Matthew's wife, Maria.
Good karma indeed.

But, it does beg the question of why they could open it, but the thief apparently could not, or at least why the thief left it behind.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:16 pm

The safe had rusted in the ground, and they could get through the rusted out sides?

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed May 30, 2018 2:56 pm

Fox 25 (VIDEO)
Young boy helps older woman up the stairs

MILLEDGEVILLE, Ga - A young boy's act of kindness in Georgia is inspiring people all over the country.

Riley Duncan took the video showing the 8-year-old helping an older woman up the stairs.

Duncan said he didn't know the story when he pulled out his camera, but he saw the boy stop traffic, hop out of his car and help the woman -- and he thought it was a moment that deserved to be shared.

He later learned the boy's name -- Maurice Adams Jr.

Maurice was in the car with his mom and sister leaving high school graduation when they saw the woman crossing the road. ...

She [the mom] said they still don't know who the woman is, but said the stranger had a short message for Maurice when they reached the top of the steps.

"She told him that he's special," Hill said.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Wed May 30, 2018 3:20 pm

Gettin' dusty in here.

Image Image Image Image Image

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:16 pm

CBS News
Officer helps homeless man shave before job interview at McDonald's ...

Last Sunday afternoon, Carlson had just finished a call and was in a gas station parking lot, when he came upon a homeless man named Phil.

"Wen I got out of my car he asked me if I knew anything about electric razors and that it was broken, he was trying to get it to work, if I could help him," Carlson said.

While Carlson fixed it, Phil told him if he could just clean himself up, the McDonald's next door had promised him a job. The repair was successful, so Phil tried to shave.

"He was trying to shave, obviously outside, didn't have a mirror or anything and he was just getting patch after patch and it wasn't going too well," Carlson said. "I said, 'Hey Phil if you want me to do that, here I can get it done a lot quicker than you sitting here struggling with it."

A stranger with a cell phone saw what was going on, posted it on Facebook and the good deed went viral.

"When I finished with Phil, I drove off and my wife had called me. She goes 'Hey, did you shave some guy today?'" Carlson said.

On Thursday, Carlson will help Phil complete some paperwork, and it looks like Phil has a job all thanks to a close shave with the law.
I saw this photo on DU:

¡Sterngard! come home.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:41 am

This is a life of kindness.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-new ... smsnnews11
Wisconsin bus driver known for kindness and patience with special needs kids

Miller had been serving as a bus driver for the Cedarburg School District driving special needs kids to and from school every day, and volunteered with Friendship Ministries and as a Big Brother in Big Brothers Big Sisters. He recently retired from the role to move with his wife to Ohio to be closer to his son and grandchildren, who are currently living there.

Miller was also recently nominated for the "Be A Good Neighbor Contest" by his neighbor, Susan Grosskoph. She won a private hometown screening of "Won't You Be My Neighbor?" a documentary about the life of the former TV host Fred Rogers — better known by those who watched as "Mister Rogers" — for her nomination of Miller.

"Bus driver doesn’t describe what Dwight did and the impact he made every day," Grosskoph said. "Parents knew their children were in the best hands when they left for school and when he returned them home. He waited, (probably longer than he should have sometimes) for the student who just couldn't quite get going in the morning. He was singing songs, decorating the bus with monthly themes, and quietly mentoring from behind the wheel."

Miller was surprised at the amount of support he received at the screening from friends, people he knew, and the kids he transported and their families.

The mayor had even declared the day of the movie showing Dwight Miller Day.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:38 am

Her brother needed to get to a hospital so she made the desperate call
Lisa Nagengast's plane touched down in Tampa on Saturday evening, and the first thing she did before getting out of her seat was listen to her voice mail. That was when panic set in.
There are some wonderful people out there. Bravo to this crew!

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:35 am

Daily Iowan: Iowa City doctor helps homeless with free foot care

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:00 pm

Dusty in here.

Truckers give gift to Wisconsin boy with Cerebral Palsy and Dandy-Walker Syndrome.
Dakota "Bubba" Cadd sits in his wheelchair in his yard and pumps his arm wanting truckers to blow their horn.
One day his mother noticed there was a bag on the ground. Somebody had stopped on the highway and threw it over their five foot fence. It contained a toy semi-truck, hat and t-shirt. His mom made a Facebook post to say Thank You and shared how happy he was.
Truck driver Mark King and other truckers heard about Dakota and wanted to give their support also.
Almost 200 hundred tractor-trailers and thousands of people showed up to surprise Dakota on his birthday.

IJR Red
September 14 ·
Amazing!

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:30 am

A Florida mother and her 11-month-old daughter want to encourage people to pay it forward after a kind act by a passenger on their flight.

Kelsey Rae Zwick and her daughter, Lucy, boarded American Airlines Flight 588 from Orlando to Philadelphia on Thursday, where Lucy receives treatment for chronic lung disease at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
:snippity:
But it was the kindness of a stranger in first class that changed Zwick’s day. A flight attendant came over and told her that a man sitting in seat 2D wanted to switch places with her.
Their new seat up allowed extra room for Zwick and Lucy, who has to travel with a large oxygen tank. And according to Zwick, Lucy loved her introduction to first class.
“I guess it was his birthday, and he did reach out to us,” said Zwick. “He was thanking me for a birthday to remember. It was the best day. He said it made him and his wife cry, and he said, ‘I am so glad we were on the same flight.’”
https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/lifestyle ... 57893.html

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Return to “Social Issues”