The Stupid Thread

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Sacrificing safety for a selfie: Group caught on camera pulling bear cubs from tree

by TAYLOR THOMPSON | WLOS Staff
Wed, April 17th 2024 at 5:23 PM Updated Thu, April 18th 2024 at 9:17 AM

BUNCOMBE COUNTY, N.C. (WLOS) — A disturbing scene was caught on camera Tuesday afternoon: a group of people pulling bear cubs out of a tree near a Buncombe County apartment complex, all for a few selfies.

In a video shared with News 13, the group can be seen pulling the cubs from a tree, then holding one of the bears and taking a selfie. The person who took the video told News 13 she witnessed the incident at Berrington Village Apartments.

One of the individuals can then be seen in the video dropping the cub, followed by the cub running and trying to get back over the fence.

Ashley Hobbs, North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission special projects biologist, said the video was reported to the commission on Tuesday evening. Authorities were called in to intervene.

“An apartment complex in the Fairview area that officer did ask me to assist him in response to that, so I did get on site and I saw the cub,” she said.

She described the cub as being very wet and cold and had been alone for quite some time.

While multiple cubs are seen in the video, Hobbs said when she arrived on scene there was only one cub.

She added that it’s not uncommon during this time of year for a female to drop their cubs off in a safe tree and then come back.

“We did see the video in response to the bear being left alone," Hobbs said. "We do think that the bear probably had a pretty traumatic experience."

She expressed how it’s pretty traumatic for a cub to be pulled out of a tree like that.

Thankfully, the bear was OK and is currently in a rehab facility. It will eventually be released back into the wild.

https://fox17.com/news/nation-world/uns ... ion-expert
AndyinPA
Verified:

The Stupid Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

You don't get much stupider than that. Maybe a bison calf.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

UK legislative history lesson :panic:

RTH10260

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Man accused of pouring bleach into Oregon hatchery tank, killing nearly 18K young salmon

KPTV FOX 12 Oregon
11 days ago

A man is accused of pouring a chemical into a rearing pond at an Oregon hatchery, leading to the death of thousands of young salmon.

AndyinPA
Verified:

The Stupid Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

That goes beyond stupid.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

The Stupid Thread

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

What a horrible thing to do! OMG!
RTH10260

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Woman attacked by bull on Mexico beach after ignoring warnings

CBS News
16 May 2024

A bull charged at a woman on a beach in the Mexican state of Baja California Sur over the weekend as horrified tourists watched and warned her to back away.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

The Stupid Thread

Post by bill_g »

People do not do well in those circumstances.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

The Stupid Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

Jeebus, what could she possibly have been thinking?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Suranis

The Stupid Thread

Post by Suranis »

She's lucky to be alive. That Bull basically was giving her a smack on the ass as a reprimand to make her go away. If he had been serious he would have gored and stamped on her.
Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

The Stupid Thread

Post by Foggy »

Yeah.

He knew he wasn't really supposed to hit a girl. :bag:

Hay, it's the stupid thread. :P
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Sam the Centipede

The Stupid Thread

Post by Sam the Centipede »

In the context of keeping oneself safe around animals, someone once described chimpanzees as "60 kilos of perfectly coordinated muscle and teeth" which stuck with me

I am often surprised at the blasé attitude of non-farming folk around a ton of muscle with horns and hooves. Ok, I can be more fearful than necessary but where is that native caution that keeps out ancestors safe when we lived in caves or flimsy huts with only pointy sticks for protection?
Foggy
Dick Tater

The Stupid Thread

Post by Foggy »

I used to go caving (we didn't say spelunking) in rural West Virginia. Like, I spent a lot of weekends there, and I have a couple good stories about encounters with cowmobiles. In neither of which, so y'know, was I injured or even in physical contact. I get along very well with our bovine brethren and sistren. :bighug:
Foggy
Dick Tater

The Stupid Thread

Post by Foggy »

I put a cow story in the Poor ol' Rooster thread. :twisted:
RTH10260

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Wasn't the Nunes thread reserved for cow stories :?: ;)
RTH10260

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

New Zealand man filmed trying to ‘body slam’ an orca in actions described as ‘idiotic’
Department of Conservation fines 50-year-old after seeing footage of stunt on social media, and described his behaviour as ‘a blatant example of stupidity’

Eva Corlett in Wellington
Wed 22 May 2024 03.51 CEST

The actions of a New Zealand man filmed jumping off a boat in what appears to be an attempt to “body slam” an orca have been described as “shocking” and “idiotic” by the country’s Department of Conservation.

In a video shared to Instagram in February, a man can be seen jumping off the edge of a boat into the sea off the coast of Devonport in Auckland, in what appears to be a deliberate effort to touch or “body slam” the orca, the department said. He leaps into the water very close to a male orca, as a calf swims nearby, while someone on board the boat films it. Others can be heard laughing and swearing in the background.

As he swims back towards the boat he yells “I touched it” and asks “did you get that?” He then attempts to touch the orca again.

Hayden Loper, a principal investigator at the department, said the 50-year-old man showed reckless disregard for his own safety and that of the orca. “The video speaks for itself, it is shocking and absolutely idiotic behaviour,” he said.

The department received a tip-off about the video from a couple of concerned people who had seen the footage on social media. Working with police, the department identified the man and handed him a $600 infringement fine.

“It’s a very clear breach of the Marine Mammals Protection Act. Orca are classified as whales under conservation legislation and it is illegal to swim with, or disturb or harass any marine mammal,” he said.

Loper said often people breach the act by accident, for example taking a jetski too close to a marine mammal, but in this case, “it [was] a real blatant example of stupidity”.

“For him to jump into the water deliberately and swim up to the orca [and] to make sure that it was filmed … it defies belief.”

Social media is a double-edged sword when it comes to protecting marine life. On the one hand, it can help alert the department to incidents, but it can also act as a catalyst for poor behaviour.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/artic ... ump-ntwnfb
bill_g

The Stupid Thread

Post by bill_g »

Orca aka Killer Whales though they are not known for being aggressive towards people - that's kind of a myth.

For his next trick the man will attempt to touch a beach bull.
RTH10260

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

and one more :brickwallsmall:
Video shows Yellowstone hiker running for his life after disturbing moose for photos

Cat Ellis
Sat, May 25, 2024 at 10:15 AM GMT+2

An adult moose can weigh over 2,000lb and move at speeds up to 25mph, so you don't want to get on their bad side. On a recent visit to Yellowstone National Park, one hiker filming a herd of moose in Round Prairie was surprised to spot two of the huge animals chasing after a park visitor who had chosen to get a little too close, and was sprinting to escape.

Moose attacks are rare, but the animals can charge if they or their young are threatened, and are particularly likely to lash out if dogs are nearby since they cannot differentiate between a domestic dog and a wolf.

This particular incident was captured by Leah Hilton and shared this week via Instagram account TouronsOfYellowstone, which calls out careless behavior at US National Parks, often involving wildlife. Other close calls have included people taunting elk, harassing bison, and even chasing bears, all of which are federal crimes punishable by a hefty fine or even jail time.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/video-shows- ... 00397.html
(original: Advnture)
Suranis

The Stupid Thread

Post by Suranis »

In stuff that no man in his right mind would wear.

https://palomospain.com/products/ass-air-denim-shorts
Introducing our Ass-Air Shorts, a standout piece from the "Cruising in the Rose Garden" collection, showcased on our runway. These shorts feature golden buttons intricately engraved with the Palomo signature, exuding elegance. Complete with a rubber tag showcasing the Palomo engraving on the back.
► Show Spoiler

Aside from the obvious "wahay!" implications, this thing would be extremely uncomfortable to wear, and the only elegance would be the facial expressions as people laugh their heads off at the moron that paid €418.00 for this thing.

And ya, the price is also a very big reason why this is stupid.
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

The Stupid Thread

Post by Suranis »

In entitled rich little snot news.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cmll9nwz3wlo

Some rapper I've never heard of, Ninki Minaj. was arrested for Bringing weed into an Airport in Amsterdam. She tried to say that it belonged to her security guard. She then cries that, they took her luggage without her concent, she *gasp* spent time in a Jail cell, and that "they" succeeded their plot to stop her Manchester concert, and that "Weed is legal here!"

Not in the goddam Airport, it isn't. And not when you are on your way to England, where it definitely is not.
Nicki Minaj fans were left angry after the American rapper's gig at Manchester's Co-op Live arena was called off at the last minute, following her arrest at Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport.

Minaj was arrested on suspicion of exporting soft drugs before being fined 350 euros (£300; $380) and allowed to continue her journey, Dutch authorities said.

The artist didn't make it to Manchester in time for her concert on Saturday, which was postponed as about 20,000 fans were in the arena waiting for her to take the stage.

On social media, Minaj said she was in a jail cell for between five and six hours, and finally arrived at her hotel in Manchester around midnight.

"They succeeded at their plan to not let me get on that stage tonight," she wrote on X, without saying who she was referring to.

"Please please please accept my deepest & most sincere apologies.

"They sure did know exactly how to hurt me today but this too, shall pass.

"They’ve been doing this over & over & over & over & over again & I’ve tried so hard to not discuss it b/c [because] you guys deserve to just get the good stuff. I hate involving you in anything that isn’t for entertainment purposes only."

She said she hoped to announce a rescheduled date on Sunday, promising an "added bonus" for those with a ticket.

Earlier, Minaj filmed part of her arrest, posting it to social media on Saturday afternoon.

In the video, a police officer could seemingly be heard telling her: "You are under arrest." She was seen telling him she was not carrying drugs.

The music star posted a series of messages on X. "They took my luggage without consent," she wrote in one. In another she added: "This is Amsterdam btw [by the way], where weed is legal."

Dutch prosecutors have told local media she was carrying 30 to 100 grams of cannabis - but Minaj claims "the pre-rolls" belonged her security guard.

It is technically against the law to possess, sell or produce drugs in the Netherlands. But the country operates a policy of toleration towards the sale or possession of small amounts of some drugs.
Hic sunt dracones
Sam the Centipede

The Stupid Thread

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Suranis wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:29 am
► Show Spoiler
:fingerwag: Tsk tsk! You shouldn't post your selfies here!
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

The Stupid Thread

Post by neonzx »

Suranis wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:41 am In entitled rich little snot news.

Some rapper I've never heard of, Ninki Minaj. was arrested for Bringing weed into an Airport in Amsterdam. :snippity:
You've likely heard of her. She charted in the states with 1 or 2 songs 10 years-ish ago. ( which means over the pond also too)

bill_g

The Stupid Thread

Post by bill_g »

Suranis wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:41 am Some rapper I've never heard of, Ninki Minaj
You are not missing much, but she is a big name in pop/hip-hop. Not my cuppa.
sugar magnolia

The Stupid Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

neonzx wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:34 am
Suranis wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:41 am In entitled rich little snot news.

Some rapper I've never heard of, Ninki Minaj. was arrested for Bringing weed into an Airport in Amsterdam. :snippity:
You've likely heard of her. She charted in the states with 1 or 2 songs 10 years-ish ago. ( which means over the pond also too)
1 or 2 songs 10 years ago? She begs to differ. Her last single to debut on the top 200 chart was last year.
She's sold over 100 million records and has several number 1 albums and multiple number 1 songs. She has also won a shit ton of music industry awards.

Just because you aren't familiar with her work doesn't mean she isn't well-known.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”