What are you reading lately?

Mikedunford

Re: What are you reading lately?

Post by Mikedunford » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:47 am

Finished it this morning.

On a scale of 0 to 10, I'd give it "meh."

Good enough and gimmicky enough to keep me from discarding it unfinished. Not good enough that it's likely to be something I'd read again - and I do tend to re-read even mysteries sometimes. I'll probably hold on to the copy, but that's only because it might make a good basis for a right of publicity exam question someday.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

TollandRCR

Re: What are you reading lately?is are stilk attractuve

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:55 pm

i have started to read again Upton Sinclair's Lanny Budd series. There is nothing "deep" about these books, but they do take a look from outside at our culture and society. Budd is the bastard son (his term) of a Connecticut weapons manufacturer. He grew up on the French Mediterranean coast and has friends in much of Europe including Germany. I find these novels to be assurances of normality, much as I find Mr. V's reports from the North Fork.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

P.K.
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning.

Post by P.K. » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:16 pm

I just finished the last of the Sookie Stackhouse novels. My friend gave me the first few back in June, so I'd have something to read at the polls on Election Day. They're enjoyable light reading, perfect for reading at the polls or on the bus. I've also finished her Midnight Texas series and her Harper Connelly series. I think she has a few other series, I need to get myself back to the library before Election Day, though I have a feeling it's going to be busier than the last few local elections I've worked.

IANALBIPOOTV - I am not a lawyer, but I've played one on TV. In fact, IANA (fill in the blank) but chances are I've played on on TV.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:57 pm

I happen to be reading Donna Leon's most excellent series of Commissario Guido Brunetti novels, set in Venice. You should read them, too, for political depression. :daydream:

Daily Mail
Marathon goers are forced to run through flooded streets as Venice is swamped by high tide

Marathon runners were forced to wade through ankle-deep water in Venice after high tides flooded the city yesterday.

Proving their commitment to long-distance run instead of shying away from the problematic conditions, the runners persisted with the marathon.

Footage from the day shows runners plodding on through the flooded town as the water splashed up against their running shorts.

Onlookers came more prepared for the sticky situation, donning wellingtons and water-proof ponchos as they spectated the marathon-turned-swimming race. ...

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:25 pm

For stupid REASONS I have Tucker Carlson's new book Ship of Fools checked out from the library. Lots and lots of *facts* he's stating with no source (surprise!!). Oh well, not sure how far I'll get, but this status update I found on Goodreads was worth a share. :swoon:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:07 am

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/boo ... 207960002/
Yes, there are still things to learn about Churchill, as fine new biography reveals

Though painted as a war monger by the Hitler-appeasing Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain, Churchill and a small cohort of anti-appeasers in Parliament insisted that only by standing up to Adolf Hitler could England hope to avoid another world war. Roberts detects “a fascinating dichotomy” in this confrontation.

“Although the appeasement movement was intended to prevent another war,” he notes, “most of its leaders had not seen action in the Great War, whereas most of the anti-appeasers had.” They were led by Churchill, who, after resigning as First Lord because of Gallipoli, actually had gone and fought in the trenches.

In May 1940, with the Nazi invasion of France, Churchill was named prime minister because, as Churchill himself said, “no one else wanted the job.” The British people, however, took to their new PM immediately. A July 1940 Gallup poll, according to Roberts, gave Churchill an 88 percent approval rating.

Yet, at this very moment, Roberts points out, Hitler’s propaganda minister, Joseph Goebbels, was proclaiming “that Churchill was being bribed by the Jews to continue the war but that a fifth column would soon remove him from power. He encouraged Britons to write chain letters for peace, to hiss and boo Churchill’s appearance on the cinema newsreels and to horsewhip him whenever he appeared in public.”

“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:55 pm

Michael Lewis's book about the Trump Administration, The Fifth Risk is not only about the Trump Admin, but about governing itself. The fifth risk facing the nation is identified as "Program Management" or what could happen if government programs are not managed properly or at all. Say if there's an administration in the White House that doesn't give a damn about things like science or terrible threats that diligent civil servants find every day, the discoveries that might have been if anyone was paying attention. This is a deeply researched and harrowing book to read. You might want to wait to do it until after the holidays. But read it.

ETA: Forgot to mention that the Obamas have an option on this book to develop as a Netflix documentary.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:37 pm

I got a copy of George R.R. Martin's "fire and Blood" for Christmas.

As a good spouse, I'm trying to read it.

But I find it to be a huge disappointment.

It's all in third person expository style that gets boring as hell after a while. It's like the worst of Tolkien. No dialog, no character development. No plots, etc.

Sigh.

listeme

Post by listeme » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:53 am

Chilidog wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:37 pm
I got a copy of George R.R. Martin's "fire and Blood" for Christmas.

As a good spouse, I'm trying to read it.

But I find it to be a huge disappointment.

It's all in third person expository style that gets boring as hell after a while. It's like the worst of Tolkien. No dialog, no character development. No plots, etc.

Sigh.
Yep, I was worried about that. I'll probably get it at some point for completeness, because I do love him. But the snippet I read was disappointing.

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:23 am

DwGBkbQW0AAai7e.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

In my whole life I have never faked a sarcasm.

WriteItDown

Post by WriteItDown » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:00 am

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. This is the second book I have read written by her and I don't like it any better. The way she writes in this book this drives me crazy I.e. Jumping from one person's narrative to the next. I just like to sit down and read a story or history without having to figure out what happened 4 writers before. Does any of you enjoy her?

Bloom where you're planted 🌷

Adrianinflorida

Post by Adrianinflorida » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:28 am

The Dean: The Best Seat In The House
John Dingell biography. Just getting into it, but pretty good

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 5GpQJBwBNf

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:49 am

"Dark Sacred Night" by Michael Connelly. His new detective, Renee Ballard, reams teams with Bosch. :bag: I read it in a day or less. Good!

“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:50 am

WriteItDown wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:00 am
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. This is the second book I have read written by her and I don't like it any better. The way she writes in this book this drives me crazy I.e. Jumping from one person's narrative to the next. I just like to sit down and read a story or history without having to figure out what happened 4 writers before. Does any of you enjoy her?
She’s my favorite author. What else have you tried? My suggestion, if you want to experience Kingsolver, is to start with the two slim companion novels, The Bean Trees and Pigs in Heaven.. They’re based extremely loosely on an actual event, a Native child adopted without the tribe’s consent and the consequences. I lol’d at several points, something that rarely happens with me. The opening sentence of Bean Trees is possibly the greatest opening sentence ever:

“I’ve been afraid to put air in my tires ever since Newt Hardbine’s daddy put too much air in his tractor tire and blew himself clean over the Standard Oil sign.” Of course, a tire store figures prominently later on.

I hope you don’t give up yet.

I had a hard time with Poisonwood, too. Mostly the length; I do like the changing POVs.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:47 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:49 am
"Dark Sacred Night" by Michael Connelly. His new detective, Renee Ballard, reams with Bosch. I read it in a day or less. Good!
Bought it, haven't gotten to it yet.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:47 pm

I'm working my way through a list of 14 Audiobook Thrillers That Will Give You Chills from offtheshelf.com. I've already read some of them; some I've never heard of. Some are better than others.

"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:29 pm

Mr520 just finished the Connally, too. 👍🏻

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:11 pm

kate520 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:29 pm
I read it a couple of months ago (I've read all of his stuff). I really do like Connelly, and I've totally enjoyed the Bosch and Haller books. I really, really, really try to be forgiving of non-lawyer authors trying to write novels about crime and criminal procedure, but Connelly sometimes strays too far into "nuh-uh, no way, no how, in no courthouse in the United States would that ever be permissible" territory. I can usually ignore it when it happens tangentially, but when the plot depends on it it totally kills my enjoyment of the story.

The best example of this I can give is not from literature, but from the movies. The movie is Double Jeopardy with Ashley Judd and Tommy Lee Jones. I'm going to put it under the spoiler since I'm going to spoil the crap out of it:
► Show Spoiler

"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:34 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:11 pm
kate520 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:29 pm
I read it a couple of months ago (I've read all of his stuff). I really do like Connelly, and I've totally enjoyed the Bosch and Haller books. I really, really, really try to be forgiving of non-lawyer authors trying to write novels about crime and criminal procedure, but Connelly sometimes strays too far into "nuh-uh, no way, no how, in no courthouse in the United States would that ever be permissible" territory. I can usually ignore it when it happens tangentially, but when the plot depends on it it totally kills my enjoyment of the story.
I agree with you. In the foreword or epilogue of one of his books Connelly explained why as a fiction writer crossing the legal line was needed to maintain tension and the reader's anticipation. He compared his LA Times crime reporting style to the crime thriller style. It still bugs me though. It seems unnecessary. Perhaps a flawed lead character is necessary for sales.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:02 pm

... especially since all his early books were "police procedurals" and he was very strictly sticking to the actual procedures used by real cops. Surely he could have consulted with many attorneys to make sure he got those stories right.

But I still read everything he writes ... :oops:

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:12 pm

Foggy wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:02 pm
... especially since all his early books were "police procedurals" and he was very strictly sticking to the actual procedures used by real cops. Surely he could have consulted with many attorneys to make sure he got those stories right.

But I still read everything he writes ... :oops:
Same here.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:37 pm

the Library Book by Susan Orleans.

Orleans set out to write about the fire that destroyed a significant portion of the Lost Angeles Central Library in the esrly 1980s, but ended up writing about libraries in general, and the LA Central Library in particular, with a delightful focus on minutiae.

I *love* this book! :lovestruck:

PaulG

Post by PaulG » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:54 pm

Lies Sleeping, the 7th Peter Grant novel by Ben Aaronovitch. They are police procedures about a London PC in the magic section of the MET, (which the rest of the force calls "Falcon" or "weird bollocks"). Fun, interesting and with a lot of insights into British policing. And Aaronovitch seems to have hit a gold mine with this series which has novels, novellas and graphic novels and more of all three to come.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:14 pm

I like Ian Rankin’s Scottish criminal procedures. A new one is out.

Too, also, Louise Penny has a new Inspector Armand Gamache story. J’ aime le Inspector Gamache de Quebec.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:47 am

So, after the Holiday gift-giving season, I am now buried in biographies. One family member gave me the first two volumes of Robert Caro's The Years of Lyndon Johnson (I already own volumes 3 & 4) - and my goodness do I hope Caro is taking vitamins or something to finish the last book, because he's 82. And then this weekend, as part of Christmas with the last set of relatives, I got my hands on Ron Chernow's biography of Ulysses Grant, which is gigantic.

I don't think I'm going to need anything else to read for a good long while. :dazed:

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Return to “The Lounge”