What are you reading lately?

TollandRCR

Re: What are you reading lately?

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:34 pm

q was wonderful to see the kids (and parents) waiting in long lines for the bookstores to open. I greatly enjoyed the special FedEx delivery of the book in its own special Amazon box. And then waiting in long lines for the movies. I do not care that much WHAT kids read; I do greatly care that they READ. It develops a skill for a lifetime.

Maybe someday they will read Mockingbird and let it change their lives (as it did mine). Or a great translation of Michel Eyquem de Montaigne, who taught me to think and to write. Cotton’s translation is a good start, as it might have been for Shakespeare. Or read Mobtaigne in the old French. We need some Americans who can do that.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:19 am

TollandRCR wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:34 pm
q was wonderful to see the kids (and parents) waiting in long lines for the bookstores to open. I greatly enjoyed the special FedEx delivery of the book in its own special Amazon box. And then waiting in long lines for the movies. I do not care that much WHAT kids read; I do greatly care that they READ. It develops a skill for a lifetime.

Maybe someday they will read Mockingbird and let it change their lives (as it did mine). Or a great translation of Michel Eyquem de Montaigne, who taught me to think and to write. Cotton’s translation is a good start, as it might have been for Shakespeare. Or read Mobtaigne in the old French. We need some Americans who can do that.
:thumbs: I really enjoyed reading when I was a kid. It is good to see young people read. It's good to see them doing almost anything that doesn't involve their thumbs on a cell phone. But reading...is best!

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:42 am

After more than 20 years there is a new edition of-

Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:01 pm

I never heard of the book. Is it somewhat accurate or was it written by someone like a Holocaust denier? As I recall my high school history classes there was a lot of what, but no in-depth why.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:39 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:01 pm
I never heard of the book. Is it somewhat accurate or was it written by someone like a Holocaust denier? As I recall my high school history classes there was a lot of what, but no in-depth why.
University of Vermont professor emeritus James W. Loewen is a well regarded historian and sociologist. He won Loewen v. Turnipseed (Mississippi State Textbook Purchasing Board), 488 F. Supp. 1138 (N.D. Miss. 1980), an important First Amendment case.

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/di ... 8/1400137/

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:16 pm

I just picked up the Kindle Edition. $9.99. I'll give it a read.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Kilgore Trout

Post by Kilgore Trout » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:52 pm

I haven't read the updated one, but I really enjoyed (Not sure that's the right word in this context) reading this one. MUCH better than the similar one by Oliver Stone.

"No, really. I was only fooling."

Andy Kaufman

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:24 am

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:32 am

Downloaded Everything Trump Touches Dies by Rick Wilson to my Kindle last night.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:22 pm

I love the historical fiction of Laura Joh Rowland, set in Japan’s medieval period of rule by the Tokugawa dictators. She has a good character in Sano-san. Much of it is not historical; some is. The villains are real.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:09 pm

Having read about 2/3rds of the book including the last two chapters I find it to be very interesting. The author shows how 6 areas of American history are presented in the most popular high school history texts and what they get wrong which is a lot.

He then discusses how this turns students off from wanting to learn about history.

Coming from SE Massachusetts I already knew most of what he presents about the Plymouth colony. And having spent decades reading about Lincoln and the Civil War I was in good shape there.

However much of what he presents about other parts of American history was new to me.

The book is heavily referenced to primary sources so following up on the most interesting items will be easy.

Every person with an interest in history or in how history is taught should read this book.
Volkonski wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:42 am
After more than 20 years there is a new edition of-

Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:02 pm

Not reading (yet), but this is coming out next month and looks very interesting.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:47 am

Minette Walters The Last Hours.

I’ve read all her crime fiction, loved it. PBS did a miniseries of her novel The Ice House a while back. She hasn’t written anything in a decade. This is quite a departure.

It begins in 1348 as the plague enters Europe, and follows a demesne full of serfs and one high-born widow as they struggle to make sense of their newly upside-down world. Several characters blossom in the adversity.

I’ll let you know. :bighug: This seems to be the first in a series.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:54 pm

Robert Ludlum, The Apocalypse Watch: A Novel. This massive novel is about an attempt to establish the Fourth Reich. So far, it takes place in postwar France with side trips to London and Germany. It seemed relevant to our current situation although our current leaders are nowhere as efficient or intelligent as the neo-Nazis of Paris. Scary. Things are more fragile than I had hoped.

TollandRCR

Re: What are you reading lately?is are stilk attractuve

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:51 pm

Ludlum has his Fuhrer declare "the future is ours." That fits with a song that is not Nazi era but is Nazi sympathetic (Cabaret). It is terrifying. I fear that Nazis are still attractive. This so greatly worries me. How could a sweet, beautiful song like this convey the Nazis? How could it not?

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:48 am

House of Putin, House of Trump by Craig Unger.

I’ve just started it. He puts fogs facts together to weave a chilling tapestry of all the ways Trump’s been in bed with Russians for 40 years, laundering their oligotten gains practically as soon as the Russian mob moved into the States, in real estate.

I’ve reserved a copy for you, Mr.Mueller. :towel:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Jez

Post by Jez » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:18 am

I have a job that can sometimes mean a lot of waiting on others for updates or information. So, I usually spend my time taking advantage of the bank's rather extensive online learning library.
With everything that has been happening lately around the house, my brain just was not in the right place for going through online classes. So, I decided to read on my iPad (via the Nook app).

I just finished rereading The Lord of the Rings (try to do this annually). Not sure what I'll move on to next. Looked back on the thread and the book on how history is taught looked interesting.

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:09 pm

The Washington Decree by Jussi Adler-Olsen.

It’s a fictional story about American politics and American justice. Adler-Olsen is Danish (he’s the same guy who wrote the Department Q mysteries, which are pretty fun). The book has been translated into English, so the language is stilted at times (but to me, that can be charming).

The story is about a Democrat whose wife is murdered on the night of the presidential election (he won). As President, he reacts by using his executive authority to constrain most constitutional rights to the extent that he can, and asks Congress to do the same. It’s pretty much a “this is how the Nazis were able to achieve everything they did” story. I’m only a couple chapters in, but it’s pretty good so far.

It was written in 2006, but it’s pretty timely.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:23 pm

"In the Heat of the Moment" (Sandhamn Murders Book 5) by Viveca Sten.

Pre-ordered this in May and it arrived in my Kindle App this morning. Cost $5.99 and worth every penny. It was 414 pages and I have already finished it. :o A real page swiper. ;)

Boox 6 comes out Oct 18. I have it pre-ordered. :)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:21 pm

Stephen Lemons

@stephenlemons
Following Following @stephenlemons
More
For some reason, I missed this 2017 short story by Ken O'Steen, "Godsent Vermin," now nominated for a Best of the Net Award in fiction. About an old couple, an old house and a horde of rats. In other words, a comedy... http://sleetmagazine.com/selected/osteen_v9n1.html

1:00 PM - 12 Sep 2018

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:34 pm

Richard Kadrey's latest installment of the Sandman Slim series is coming out.

Hopefully it's an improvement over the last two in the series. I've got a hold on the copy ordered at the library.

I hate it when you get hooked on a series but the quality of the books declines over time.

HilltownGrrl
Occupation: Researcher (for a non-fiction author); local child-wrangler; thread killer; piler of things on other things

Post by HilltownGrrl » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:17 pm

kate520 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:47 am
Minette Walters The Last Hours.

I’ve read all her crime fiction, loved it. PBS did a miniseries of her novel The Ice House a while back. She hasn’t written anything in a decade. This is quite a departure.

It begins in 1348 as the plague enters Europe, and follows a demesne full of serfs and one high-born widow as they struggle to make sense of their newly upside-down world. Several characters blossom in the adversity.

I’ll let you know. :bighug: This seems to be the first in a series.
The Ice House is one of my very, very favorite books. I've lost track of how many times I've re-read it! I read most of her others & liked them but didn't love them the way I do The Ice House.

I'm a big fan of historical mysteries, especially Medieval ones, so her new one sounds fabulous. Was it?

HilltownGrrl
Occupation: Researcher (for a non-fiction author); local child-wrangler; thread killer; piler of things on other things

Post by HilltownGrrl » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:23 pm

Has anyone who read the original Lies My Teacher Told Me also read the new edition? I'm curious about what changed.

I loved the original & have an autographed first edition (he came to the bookstore I used to work at - great guy) & have been recommending since the day it came out.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:49 am

Hilltown, I liked it a lot. It started slow. I was starting to think it was too slow. Then I realized, hey, it’s medieval times. It was a slow life. It also picked up quite a bit. It was, as V says, a real page swiper.

It reminded me a little of the Georgette Heyer Regency romances. Tell me what you think, if you read it.
Also, it’s Minette Walters. :lovestruck:

ETA: There will be a sequel published on Oct. 4! The Turn of Midnight.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:18 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:23 pm
...But only one book includes a scene where Obama bursts into a motorcycle gang clubhouse in Delaware, casually toting a sawed-off shotgun, to rescue Joe Biden from a mob of angry, heavily armed bikers.

“Looks like you all know who my pal is,” Biden tells his antagonists with satisfaction.

“He’s the guy who killed Bin Laden,” one of the stunned bikers says.

The unlikely scenario sprung from the twisted mind of Andrew Shaffer, author of “Hope Never Dies,” a new mystery novel starring the 44th president and his vice president as a pair of crime-busting amateur sleuths. It’s the first in a planned crime series, with Obama playing a cerebral, detached, analytical Holmes to Biden’s bumbling, impulsive Watson.
:snippity:
The novel opens with Biden staring at his computer, stewing over paparazzi images of Obama parasailing off the coast of Cape Town. Like a jealous ex, he’s furious that Obama has cast him aside to pursue flashy leisure activities with his new celebrity best friends — BASE jumping with Bradley Cooper, kitesurfing in the British Virgin Islands with Richard Branson, kayaking with Justin Trudeau. “Eight years,” he mutters to his German shepherd, Champ, “And not even a gosh darned postcard.”
:snippity:
“I’ve had some people say that when Obama comes in with a sawed-off shotgun, there’s no way he would do that,” he said. “I say, ‘Yeah, I know, but don’t you want to see it’?”
Picked this up on a whim last week. So far, it's not spectacular, but it's not bad - gimmicky, but you expect that.

What it's also is strangely therapeutic. Biden is angry at Obama for abandoning him, and his anger is ours.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Return to “The Lounge”