What are you reading lately?

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Re: What are you reading lately?

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:34 am

Wow! The fifth should be in the library by now!!!

I just finished an excellent biography of the Gershwins by Edward Jablonsky. I love the back story of films, songs, ad infinitum. This book is full of those. It also describes George's true genius and how the song business radically altered from when the Gershwins began writing pre-radio (not together initially) to the days of films and long playing albums.

When on vacation in NY, I read A Biography of Princess Louise: Queen Victoria's Mysterious Daughter by Lucinda Hawksley. I was fascinated by her and other women of Canada when I learned of them while celebrating my 25th wedding anniversary at Chateau Lake Louise in Alberta, Canada. This is a page turner. She was not mysterious, but a bold, accomplished sculptor and artist who would not be boxed into the stereotypical princess role. She reminded me of many of the women of the Fogbow.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:13 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:34 am
Excellent!!! I'm headed to the library right now!

Oh, you were talking about books. Never mind.

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:35 pm

Northland10 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:13 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:34 am
Excellent!!! I'm headed to the library right now!

Oh, you were talking about books. Never mind.
That might be there too. You never know. :thumbs:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:30 pm

Grant by Ron Chernow.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:17 pm

Just downloaded Facts and Fears by James Clapper from the library.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:22 pm

Northland10 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:05 am
The Best and The Brightest, David Halberstam
Wow, I read that when I was young! I might re-read it.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:23 pm

...But only one book includes a scene where Obama bursts into a motorcycle gang clubhouse in Delaware, casually toting a sawed-off shotgun, to rescue Joe Biden from a mob of angry, heavily armed bikers.

“Looks like you all know who my pal is,” Biden tells his antagonists with satisfaction.

“He’s the guy who killed Bin Laden,” one of the stunned bikers says.

The unlikely scenario sprung from the twisted mind of Andrew Shaffer, author of “Hope Never Dies,” a new mystery novel starring the 44th president and his vice president as a pair of crime-busting amateur sleuths. It’s the first in a planned crime series, with Obama playing a cerebral, detached, analytical Holmes to Biden’s bumbling, impulsive Watson.
:snippity:
The novel opens with Biden staring at his computer, stewing over paparazzi images of Obama parasailing off the coast of Cape Town. Like a jealous ex, he’s furious that Obama has cast him aside to pursue flashy leisure activities with his new celebrity best friends — BASE jumping with Bradley Cooper, kitesurfing in the British Virgin Islands with Richard Branson, kayaking with Justin Trudeau. “Eight years,” he mutters to his German shepherd, Champ, “And not even a gosh darned postcard.”
“I’ve had some people say that when Obama comes in with a sawed-off shotgun, there’s no way he would do that,” he said. “I say, ‘Yeah, I know, but don’t you want to see it’?”

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:31 am

Addie wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:20 pm
Planning to read Luke Harding's book Collusion, I was sidetracked by a Politico article I read last month:
Politico: The Thriller That Predicted the Russia Scandal

David Pepper’s 2016 novel is eerily similar to recent real-world political events. But wait until you read the sequel.
I am not depressed enough, I guess, because I've started reading these two novels, written by the Ohio Democratic Party chief. I wouldn't call the first in the series a great novel, but for a first novel, I'd say it is very good. Certainly interesting, with lots of election minutiae, and I'm looking forward to reading the second book, too. Then, I swear, I'll read Collusion, because real life can't be stranger than fiction. Or so I hear.
Addie!!1! Addie!! :panic: :panic:
ANNAPOLIS, Md. —
The FBI has informed Maryland officials that the state's voter registration system and other online systems operate on a software platform owned by a Russian-financed firm, state officials told the 11 News I-Team Friday afternoon. There is no indication of a breach.
According to the FBI, officials said ByteGrid LLC, the web-hosting firm, is financed by AltPoint Capital Partners, whose fund manager is a Russian, and its largest investor is a Russian oligarch named Vladimir Potanin. It is a $7.6 million contract.

"We had a contract with the Sidus Group, which was an Anne Arundel County-based web-hosting firm. We signed and started a contract with them in 2014, and then we learned that in 2015, the company was purchased by ByteGrid, and then we subsequently learned this week about the investments, who finances ByteGrid," said Nikki Charlson, deputy state administrator of the Maryland State Board of Elections.
http://www.wbaltv.com/article/maryland- ... s/22144023

OMFG. :panic:

Right, but of COURSE there was no vote tampering, I mean why would you even think that?

ETA This is basically the plot of the novel by Pepper.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:51 am

I'd urge you to calm down, Kate, but it wouldn't do any good. I had watched the hearing the other day and Rosenstein's presser Friday. I smacked myself in the forehead. WTF WTF WTF!!!

Anyways, I thought of reading Pepper's first book again, in view of the indictment sheet, so yesterday I went to download the book, The People's House, again from Amazon and it wasn't available, try again in 24 hours. I have never had that happen to me before. :bag:

Fortunately, it downloaded this morning and I don't have to raise any hell with Amazon. :geezerette:
kate520 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:31 am

http://www.wbaltv.com/article/maryland- ... s/22144023

OMFG. :panic:

Right, but of COURSE there was no vote tampering, I mean why would you even think that?

ETA This is basically the plot of the novel by Pepper.

¡Qué vergüenza!

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:42 pm

I read "Bad Blood" by John Carreyrou. It's a deep dive from pretty close to the beginning of Theranos and it shows how the company and its product was a cluster from the beginning. I'll be honest--I wanted Theranos' invention to work because I get regular blood draws and I simply hate it. But the reality was that Theranos was lying and those lies had the very real potential of hurting or killing people. The book is good but you get the sinking feeling from early on that this enterprise was doomed.

I'd also like to say that this is yet another example of the idiocy that is the laissez-faire attitude taken towards regulation here in Arizona. Theranos came here to set up testing points because regulations were reduced by law and by Gov. Doug Ducey. This is the same thing that happened with Uber and which resulted in the death of Elaine Herzberg in Tempe earlier this year.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:06 pm

Elizabeth Holmes was the darling of the Clintons and Barack Obama. And David Boies was her kngjht in shining armor who tried to fend off those who would reveal the truth about her massive financial and health fraud. a fraud which endangered the lives of millions of people.

Fiona

Post by Fiona » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:58 pm

Hillbilly Elegy.
While my folks had moved to California when they were children, their parents are from Arkansas & Tennessee.
It mirrors the weird social mores I grew up with.
Happy I was able to escape poverty & landed in the shrinking middle class.

JohnPCapitalist
Occupation: Investment management in the financial industry. Deep knowledge of stocks, tech and economics.

Post by JohnPCapitalist » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:42 pm

mmmirele wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:42 pm
I read "Bad Blood" by John Carreyrou. It's a deep dive from pretty close to the beginning of Theranos and it shows how the company and its product was a cluster from the beginning. I'll be honest--I wanted Theranos' invention to work because I get regular blood draws and I simply hate it. But the reality was that Theranos was lying and those lies had the very real potential of hurting or killing people. The book is good but you get the sinking feeling from early on that this enterprise was doomed.
I second this. Read it last week. Well written. He makes it clear that the enterprise was basically a fraud almost from the beginning right up front.

But the cautionary value of the book is not whether it was a fraud or not but to understand how they managed to keep it going for so long. It took a staggering amount of work to intimidate and misdirect people who knew that things weren't right.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:09 pm

FB_IMG_1531606077864.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hopefully, this will blossom into a snowball.
WWG1WGA

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:00 pm

Foggy wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:09 pm
FB_IMG_1531606077864.jpg
I do about three out of four of those things. :mrgreen:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:32 pm

Fiona wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:58 pm
Hillbilly Elegy.
While my folks had moved to California when they were children, their parents are from Arkansas & Tennessee.
A bit of library trivia: "Hillbilly Elegy" has been the most requested book nationally via ILL (Inter-Library Loan) for the past two years. It's also the most-checked-out book in my state's libraries.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:29 am

While I am on my self-imposed vacay, I picked a novel that's been on my reading list for almost a decade. President Obama recommended it early in his first term. That's how long this book has been waiting for me. He said he needed a break in the evenings from reading security briefs. I needed a break from reading about security briefs.

First I want to say that it is not unusual for me to read so-called "men's novels" any less than "women's novels." I like both. The one sin I'd have to confess is I always skip over long, indeed interminable passages on sports that male novelists are prone to writing. That's okay, I wouldn't want the dear boys to change a thing. But I never dreamed I could love a novel about cricket; I barely know what it is. Not just any cricket, either, but post-colonial, mainly Caribbean cricket, as played by island immigrants in the five boroughs of New York and near counties. Fascinating, who knew?

Hans van den Broek, the main character and narrative voice, is a Dutch oil analyst in international banking. His British attorney wife and young son have returned to London, having witnessed 9/11 up close from their loft in Tribeca; the wife wanting none of it and none of GWB. So Hans shuttles back and forth to see them, but mainly is living alone in the Chelsea Hotel, being all lonely, if rich enough to pay $6000 a month rent, and sorting through the mental images of his life. Except for business, he really has nothing else to do.

Until he is befriended by Chuck Ramkissoon, from Trinidad, who has big plans to establish a cricket grounds on a disused air field in Brooklyn and make his fortune from pay per view all over the globe, thereby bringing world peace.

In the hands of a lesser writer, this probably would have been one of the rare books I wouldn't finish. I mean, cricket? But the writing is stunningly beautiful, like a dreamscape, the characters are people we'd all love to know, and the city is grand, even with the "great emptiness" downtown. I'm a big fan of the sprawling New York novel. I tell you, this is one of the best I have ever read.

Netherland by Joseph O’Neill.

I dug up the NYT Book Review from 2008, if anyone wants to read it.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:42 am

Fiona wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:58 pm
Hillbilly Elegy.
There was something about that guy’s story that rang false with me. His descriptions of Appalachia were spot on, but something about his Yale story didn’t add up for me. I’m not saying he didn’t go there, but as I recall he made it sound like he just sort if lucked into it, even missing a critical deadline (or something - can’t recall the detail), and I remember thinking at the time that there was something hinky about that aspect of his bio, but I couldn’t put my finger on it.it

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:08 am

Capital in the 21st Century, by Thomas Piketty, and Facts and Fears by James Clapper

And I already finished Factfulness by Hans Rosling (excellent), Collusion by Luke Harding (very good), Russian Roulette by Isikoff and Corn (excellent), and Building the New American Economy, by Jeffrey Sachs (very excellent).

... and I have Kompromat by Jeff Pegues lined up on my Kindles. Yes, plural. One is old, I use it at the swim club in case it suffers in the harsh environment I have the newer one at home.

WWG1WGA

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:59 pm

There was something about that guy’s story that rang false with me.
Me, too.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:31 pm

kate520 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:59 pm
Me, too.
Anything in particular that rang your alarm bells?

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:42 pm

He had tremendous luck— or somebody was looking out for smart hillbillies. I advocated affirmative action for hillbillies when I was at UNC-CH. NC has its fair share in the mountains.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:46 pm

Well, I just wrapped up Economics of the Undead, which I highly recommend as a fun light economics read.. though I was profoundly disappointed by the chapter on use of agent based modeling to examine the relationship between vampire hunting and citizen defense

Now... you know.. I've never actually read Harry Potter. Seems like a good time for something light in another direction.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:08 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:31 pm
kate520 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:59 pm
Me, too.
Anything in particular that rang your alarm bells?
It’s been a while, Sugar, but what I remember is...
I lived in Appalachia for a few years, and in Virginia but mostly Northern Virginia which isn’t culturally the same. In NVA I knew a whole lot of people who had grown up in Appalachia and environs - they used to say they were taught the Three R’s in school: readin’, ritin’, and the road to Washington (cuz jobs).

Just, his description of people didn’t jibe with the people I knew. That’s all I can remember without getting the book out or looking up our book salon.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:51 pm

neeneko wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:46 pm
Now... you know.. I've never actually read Harry Potter. Seems like a good time for something light in another direction.
J.K. Rowling is an excellent writer, and I highly recommend all 6 Harry Potter novels. But I wouldn't exactly call them "light," at least not in the sense of being humorous or light-hearted. They are dark fiction in many ways, with terrible things happening to good people. You have been warned! :mrgreen:

WWG1WGA

Return to “The Lounge”