Ron DeSantis

These people suck. They are bad people.
Dr. Ken

Ron DeSantis

Post by Dr. Ken »

yes its a parody... but the campaign song though.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Ron DeSantis

Post by raison de arizona »

The bird X site says DeSantis got in a car wreck in Tennessee. No details yet.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Ron DeSantis

Post by bill_g »

As long as he stays away from open windows ...
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Ron DeSantis

Post by RTH10260 »

Ron DeSantis unharmed after car crash on way to campaign event
Florida governor and team thank well-wishers after accident while traveling to event in Chattanooga, Tennessee

Martin Pengelly in Washington
Tue 25 Jul 2023 15.49 BST

Ron DeSantis, the right-wing governor of Florida and candidate for the Republican presidential nomination, was involved in a car crash on the campaign trail on Tuesday.

In a statement to media, DeSantis’s press secretary, Bryan Griffin, said: “This morning, the governor was in a car accident while traveling to an event in Chattanooga, Tennessee. He and his team are uninjured.

“We appreciate the prayers and well wishes of the nation for his continued protection while on the campaign trail.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -tennessee
W. Kevin Vicklund

Ron DeSantis

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Dammit
Fiascoist

Ron DeSantis

Post by Fiascoist »

With all of his recent video screw ups, i figured he set this up for sympathy and then to follow up with blaming Trump and/or his minions for double value.
Dave from down under

Ron DeSantis

Post by Dave from down under »

Trump cultists have a history of road attacks
RTH10260

Ron DeSantis

Post by RTH10260 »

crosspost
DeSantis lets go of more than a third of campaign staff as reset continues
The cuts, which were confirmed by advisers, will amount to a total of 38 jobs shed across an array of departments.

By ALEX ISENSTADT
07/25/2023 01:18 PM EDT

Ron DeSantis’ presidential campaign is expanding the number of staff it’s cutting to include more than a third of his payroll as the Florida governor looks to get his primary bid back on track.

The cuts, which were confirmed by advisers, will amount to a total of 38 jobs shed across an array of departments. They will include the roughly 10 event planning positions that were announced several weeks ago, in addition to the recent departures of two senior DeSantis campaign advisers, Dave Abrams and Tucker Obenshain.

“Following a top-to-bottom review of our organization, we have taken additional, aggressive steps to streamline operations and put Ron DeSantis in the strongest position to win this primary and defeat Joe Biden,” DeSantis campaign manager Generra Peck said in a statement. “Gov. DeSantis is going to lead the Great American Comeback and we’re ready to hit the ground running as we head into an important month of the campaign.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/07/2 ... s-00108046
raison de arizona

Ron DeSantis

CNN @CNN wrote: "I never thought that I would have to flee a state."

This family of four living in suburban Florida shares why they are packing up to leave.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by AndyinPA »

That's so sad.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

Ron DeSantis

https://twitter.com/highbrow_nobrow/sta ... 48608?s=20
The Intellectualist @highbrow_nobrow wrote: DeSantis’ Disney Board Is Defunding Police

The Disney Board composed of Ron DeSantis cronies is cutting $8M in police overtime at Disney properties, claiming that Disney’s lawsuit is forcing them to make these cuts. @wftv.

DeSantis is a man defined by pettiness and revenge.
Moar: https://www.wftv.com/news/local/reedy-c ... CBZIC4J5Q/
AndyinPA
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by AndyinPA »

Hmmmmmm. Who else is defined by pettiness and revenge? Those seem to be virtues for republicans.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Ron DeSantis

Post by neonzx »

Yes, please. More like this.

Oldest Black fraternity pulls 2025 convention out of Florida citing 'hostile' policies

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/ ... 470991007/
The oldest intercollegiate Black fraternity in the country is moving its 2025 conference from Florida, calling the state "hostile" to the Black community.

Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. will relocate the fraternity’s 99th General Convention and 119th Anniversary Convention from Orlando "due to Governor Ron DeSantis’ harmful, racist, and insensitive policies against the Black community," according to a press release from the organization.

The event was expected to generate $4.6 million, according to Alpha Phi Alpha.

"Although we are moving our convention from Florida, Alpha Phi Alpha will continue to support the strong advocacy of Alpha Brothers and other advocates fighting against the continued assault on our communities in Florida by Governor Ron DeSantis," said General President Dr. Willis L. Lonzer, III.

Alpha Phi Alpha, whose membership has included historical figures like civil rights leaders Martin Luther King, Jr., Adam Clayton Powell and Thurgood Marshall, joins other national Black organizations that have either pulled their conventions out of Florida or denounced the DeSantis administration's policies, including the recent approval of the state's African American history standards. :snippity:
chancery
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by chancery »

This is, for the most part, an extremely good rundown of many of the ways in which the Florida curriculum is false, tendentious, and suffused with support for white supremacy.

https://thegrio.com/2023/07/27/floridas ... -reported/
Florida’s Black history curriculum is even worse than reported
:snippity:
But when theGrio examined the FDOE’s full “African American History Strand,” we discovered that the “trade-school-for-enslaved people” narrative wasn’t even the most egregious part of Florida’s new academic curriculum standards. The state guidelines include multiple examples of historical fiction, including some that perpetuate misconceptions, conservative ideology and long-held white falsehoods about Black history. Many of the requirements simply reflect ahistorical conservative talking points that often are regurgitated whenever someone brings up inequality.
One particularly telling point:
4. You can be Black and patriotic… But not both
Florida’s white history mandate: “Students will identify characteristics of responsible citizenship (e.g., peaceable assembly, obeying the law, community involvement). Clarification 2: Students will identify characteristics of irresponsible citizenship (e.g., disorderly assembly, breaking the law).”

“Students will recognize that the Pledge of Allegiance is an oath that affirms American values and freedom… Students will explain why reciting the Pledge of Allegiance daily is an act of patriotism.”

Why it’s wrong: Crispus Attucks and Martin Luther King Jr. both engaged in civil disobedience, so apparently, they were not patriots like the rowdy guys from Boston who throw tea parties. The Ku Klux Klan and the White Leagues were really involved in their communities and said the pledge of allegiance before every cross burning. Apparently, in Florida, pledging allegiance to the flag of a country that has never pledged its allegiance to Black people is more patriotic than protesting injustice.
The whole piece is worth reading.
andersweinstein

Ron DeSantis

Post by andersweinstein »

chancery wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:56 pm This is, for the most part, an extremely good rundown of many of the ways in which the Florida curriculum is false, tendentious, and suffused with support for white supremacy.

https://thegrio.com/2023/07/27/floridas ... -reported/

One particularly telling point:
4. You can be Black and patriotic… But not both
Florida’s white history mandate: “Students will identify characteristics of responsible citizenship (e.g., peaceable assembly, obeying the law, community involvement). Clarification 2: Students will identify characteristics of irresponsible citizenship (e.g., disorderly assembly, breaking the law).”

“Students will recognize that the Pledge of Allegiance is an oath that affirms American values and freedom… Students will explain why reciting the Pledge of Allegiance daily is an act of patriotism.”
An interesting thing about this point is that the standard cited doesn't come from the brand new African-American history standards at all. It comes from the old-fashioned sounding "Civics and Government" (CG) track of the Social Studies standards. It makes one wonder when these particular CG items were added. Might they have been pointedly inserted during the George Floyd protests? Or have they been there for some time now? I don't think one can tell from the document alone.

The full Social Studies standards are here: https://www.fldoe.org/core/fileparse.ph ... lt/6-4.pdf
The doc is 216 pages but the new "African American History (2023)" track occupies only pp 3 -21 with standards tagged "AA". As standards (something educators distinguish from a "curriculum", btw) they are kind of like bullet points, check boxes a compliant course of instruction or textbook must tick, so it's not a big job to read them.

(I noticed this because I was quite curious to see for myself what they said, but I only read the AA standards, so Harriot pointed out a detail I missed.)

Another good commentary from Talking Points Memo's Josh Marshall:
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/ab ... curriculum
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Ron DeSantis

Post by Luke »

Checking in on the charismatic Ron:

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
andersweinstein

Ron DeSantis

Post by andersweinstein »

andersweinstein wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:10 pm An interesting thing about this point is that the standard cited doesn't come from the brand new African-American history standards at all. It comes from the old-fashioned sounding "Civics and Government" (CG) track of the Social Studies standards. It makes one wonder when these particular CG items were added. Might they have been pointedly inserted during the George Floyd protests? Or have they been there for some time now?
Turns out the Civic and Government standards were last revised in 2021, in response to review ordered by 2019 legislation, taking into account public comments sumitted between June 5 and August 25, 2020 -- the summer of the George Floyd protests. 2021 doc briefly describing the process here:
https://www.fldoe.org/core/fileparse.ph ... tudies.pdf

Were those standards new? I *think* I found an old version of the same second grade standard ("Define and apply the characteristics of responsible citizenship") here and all it seems to say is "Examples are respect, responsibility, participation, self-reliance, patriotism, and honesty."

Kind of of interesting if they added these items about responsible vs irresponsible forms of citizenship after the BLM protests without provoking much brouhaha. I guess an actual FL educator might know more about it.
raison de arizona

Ron DeSantis

SUNSHINE HATE: Florida bans AP Psychology course due to “Don’t Say Gay” law

High school students in Florida won’t be offered AP Psychology this semester because the legitimate study of human psychology requires inquiry into a rainbow of sexual orientations and gender issues…but they “don’t say gay” in Florida.

Florida wants to protect those precious 16-17-18-year-old minds so that any knowledge about LGBTQ issues comes from home.

The State’s Department of Education made a determination and informed the state’s College Board (a private non-profit that runs the test) that its AP Psychology class violates state law.

The Florida Parental Rights Act — popularly known as the “Don’t Say Gay” law — forbids the “instruction of sexual orientation or gender identity” in all public school classes.

Even when the subject is college-level psychology!
:snippity:
https://washingtonpress.com/2023/08/04/ ... y-gay-law/

College Board statement: https://newsroom.collegeboard.org/state ... nd-florida
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by Slim Cognito »

Apparently some schools will offer the class leaving out gender identity. I can see it now, "So you took AP Psychology in high school. Very impressive. Oh wait, you took it in Florida. Never mind."
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Ron DeSantis

Post by neonzx »

Yep, seems right. Another HS AP course kicked to the I-95 ditch. :roll: They really do want to raise stupid teenagers.
raison de arizona

Ron DeSantis

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:09 pm Apparently some schools will offer the class leaving out gender identity. I can see it now, "So you took AP Psychology in high school. Very impressive. Oh wait, you took it in Florida. Never mind."
If they drop that, it isn’t considered AP anymore.
RTH10260

Ron DeSantis

Post by RTH10260 »

the campaign car crash

they only damaged their own rented cvehicles

Dave from down under

Ron DeSantis

Post by Dave from down under »

Isn’t leaving the scene of a collision an offence?
Kendra

Ron DeSantis

Post by Kendra »

Dave from down under wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:01 pm Isn’t leaving the scene of a collision an offence?
That's what I was wondering.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by Slim Cognito »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:22 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:09 pm Apparently some schools will offer the class leaving out gender identity. I can see it now, "So you took AP Psychology in high school. Very impressive. Oh wait, you took it in Florida. Never mind."
If they drop that, it isn’t considered AP anymore.
We know that. But they're hoping nobody notices. It's my understanding the courses* are still listed as AP and the students and parents are being misled into thinking it still counts.

*Other FL schools are dropping the course entirely because it doesn't qualify.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4

Return to “Worst of the Right-Wing Pieholes”