Another Shooting

Dave from down under

Another Shooting

Post by Dave from down under »

From mid last year - with the increase in gun violence the cost to society would have increased

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-04/ ... /101192746

The economic cost of gun violence in America was $810AU ($557US) billion in one year. Here's why

But behind each of these deadly shootings is a catalogue of numbers that's just as shocking.

Every day, more than 110 Americans are killed by guns and more than 200 are left injured.

That's about 20,000 deaths and 36,000 injuries so far this year.

Mr Miller has another figure to add to this list. For decades, he has periodically crunched the numbers and worked out the price tag of gun violence in the US.

By his latest calculations, using 2019 data, it comes to $US557 billion (or $810 billion) in one year

Calculating the costs
Mr Miller broke down the economic costs of gun violence into two categories: Direct and indirect.

After every shooting, there is a string of direct costs that may affect an individual, their family and their immediate circle.

"There's medical care, not only of the injury when it first happens, but the lifetime of medical care that can follow, for example, a traumatic brain injury or spinal cord injury. And there's mental health care for the victim and the victim's family," Mr Miller says.

He says direct costs also included the need for emergency services like police and then the involvement of the criminal justice system, from court costs to incarceration costs.
Mr Miller then looked at the indirect costs or "the [lost] value of life," which he broke down into "the work loss, both wage work and household work … [because] if you're killed, you lose a lifetime of work costs" and "lost quality of life."

The "lost quality of life," which formed the bulk of the overall amount, represented "the present value of what was irreparably damaged when a victim's life was cut short or a survivor was permanently disabled by gun violence."

Using 2019 data from US federal government sources and a cost model developed by the Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation, these direct and indirect costs added up to $US557 billion, or $810 billion, in one year.

This was a big spike from Mr Miller's last analysis of gun violence.

Far higher than previously thought
The costs calculated from the 2019 data ($US557 billion) were substantially higher than the last time Mr Miller crunched the numbers using the 2018 data. Those figures worked out to be $US280 billion ($406 billion).

Mr Miller says this was because of one significant numerical change.

US federal government departments and agencies recently settled on a "value of a life" amount that was substantially higher than what was previously used. So Mr Miller adopted the same metric.

"We've gone from using a value of a human life of about $US6-6.5 million ($8.5-9 million) to one that's about $US10.5 million ($15 million)," he says.

As a result, the economic cost of gun violence is much higher than previously thought.
Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

Want to make America great again? Help repeal the 2nd Amendment. :mad:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

16-year-old shot when gun goes off in back seat

https://www.texomashomepage.com/news/16 ... back-seat/
A 19-year-old man from Wichita Falls is charged with deadly conduct after a handgun goes off inside a bag in a car and hits a teenage girl in the front seat.

William Edward Smith has been released from jail on bond on that charge plus another of unlawful carrying a weapon. Police were called to the emergency room about 9:45 pm Thursday about a gunshot victim.

Smith said he, the 16-year- old victim and an 18-year-old male, both from Lawton, were traveling through Wichita Falls on the way to San Antonio. He said he was rummaging through a bag in the back seat when his handgun inside went off.

The bullet went through the front right passenger seat and struck the victim in her lower back and leg. Police say the victim corroborated that it was accidental. Police said Smith told them he bought the gun four months ago.

Police found a black handgun in the backseat of the Jetta in the emergency room parking lot. Besides the deadly conduct, Smith was also charged with unlawful carrying a weapon because he not 21, the legal age to carry a firearm.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Another Shooting

Post by bill_g »

We love cop shows of all kinds, and I noticed something the other day watching Brokenwood Mysteries from New Zealand - the detectives are largely unarmed. And the ones carrying a sidearm kept it unloaded on their person. They have to insert the clip and chamber a round before they can return fire if they are caught unawares. That's different. I have no idea if that reflects real life, but I'll assume it does.
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

From 2021

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/new-zeala ... HKGDJBRVQ/

New Zealand Police: Arming officers - is it a step NZ wants to take?

New Zealand is one of just 19 countries around the world in which police officers don't routinely carry firearms.

In a sense, this is something to be proud of, reflecting the commitment – oft-cited by Police Commissioner Andrew Coster – to "policing by consent".

But a recent dramatic increase in police interactions with firearms and gun-related crime, coupled with the murder of Constable Matthew Hunt in June 2020, has led the police union to question whether that should change – and the Police Association's members seem to back it.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Another Shooting

Post by RTH10260 »

Updates
Report: 89 shell casings found, 7 guns believed used in deadly Alabama mass shooting

By Nick Valencia, Alta Spells and Chris Youd, CNN
Updated 8:37 PM EDT, Wed April 26, 2023

CNN — State investigators found 89 shell casings and believe seven guns were used at a dance studio shooting that left four people dead during a Sweet 16 party in Dadeville, Alabama, earlier this month, according to a report from CNN affiliate WBMA.

The new details came Tuesday during testimony from an Alabama Law Enforcement Agency special agent at a bail hearing for several shooting suspects, according to WBMA.

The six suspects charged in connection with the massacre were denied bond, according to the district attorney’s office of the 5th Judicial Circuit of Alabama.

Five of the suspects were ordered to be held without bond until the trial and are being treated as adults, a news release from the office said. A sixth suspect, who is 15, was also denied bond at a separate hearing because he is a minor, according to a separate release.

Another new detail came to light as the investigator testified one of the deceased victims may have fired first, according to CNN affiliates WTVM and WFSA.

Corbin Holston, 23, was found dead inside the dance studio with a gun on his chest, the investigator reportedly told the court.

The party for 16-year-old Alexis Dowdell was in full swing when gunfire erupted, witnesses said. Alexis’ 18-year-old brother, Philstavious “Phil” Dowdell, was killed, along with Marsiah Emmanuel Collins, 19; Shaunkivia “Keke” Nicole Smith, 17; and Holston, the Tallapoosa County coroner said.

The state investigator testified that as many as 60 people were inside the dance studio at the time of the shooting, WTVM And WFSA reported.

Tyreese “Ty Reik” McCullough, 17, Travis McCullough, 16, Wilson LaMar Hill Jr., 20, Johnny Letron Brown, 20, Willie George Brown Jr., 19, and the unnamed 15-year-old have all been charged with four counts of reckless murder for their alleged involvement in the April 15 shooting that killed the four people and injured 32 others, including 15 who a hospital spokesperson said were hit by gunfire.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/04/25/us/d ... index.html
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Another Shooting

Post by raison de arizona »

2-year-old boy in critical condition after being shot in head at West Side home, SAPD says
:snippity:
San Antonio police are investigating after a 2-year-old boy was shot in the head at a West Side home early Thursday morning.
According to police, a man showed up to Westover Hills Hospital with his two-year-old son, saying his little boy had been accidentally shot in the head.

The man told officers that he had left his gun on top of the TV and when the toddler reached up trying to get water, that’s when the gun fell to the floor and went off. The child was hit in the head by a bullet.

SAPD said officers responded to the hospital around 3:15 a.m. after the family showed up there. The toddler is listed in critical condition. There was also another 3-year-old inside the home at the time of the shooting who was not injured. That child is currently with another relative.

SAPD said both parents are presently being questioned downtown.

Possible charges are pending
, depending on what officers find during their investigation, police said.
https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2023/04 ... sapd-says/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

What kind of modern TV is wide enough to put a gun on?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Another Shooting

Post by neonzx »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:26 pm What kind of modern TV is wide enough to put a gun on?
That was my first thought. When I read the story, I went and looked at my TV. :think: No way.

I suppose there still may be some old-school CRTs out in the wild.-- why, I dunno.

And an accident caused by intentional neglect. If the gun fired when hitting the floor, it means it was cocked and loaded.
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

And not unloaded and not in a locked gun safe with the ammo in a different safe.
sugar magnolia

Another Shooting

Post by sugar magnolia »

And at 3:15 am.
neonzx

Another Shooting

Post by neonzx »

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:15 pm And at 3:15 am.
Oh my. When I saw it reported as happening Thursday morning, I was thinking normal people time morning and not crack cocaine 3 am morning. Sounds like much moar to be revealed.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Another Shooting

Post by raison de arizona »

Just another day in America.
Police release statement on video of gunfire interrupting youth baseball game in N. Charleston

A parent’s video shows children ducking for cover Monday night as gunfire erupted during a youth baseball game in North Charleston.

North Charleston Police say they are actively investigating the shooting. Police spokesman Harve Jacobs said police responded to Pepperhill Park in the 7600 block of Brandywine Road where gunshots had been reported.

A police report released Tuesday states witnesses told responding officers that a “large group” of teenagers pulled into the parking lot and began fistfighting. Witnesses then told officers the teenagers began shooting at each other before they fled in their vehicles where it appeared shots were fired from one vehicle towards another, the report states.

Mayor Keith Summey watched a citizen’s video of the children on the field during this incident, and was “appalled by what he heard and saw,” Jacobs said.

Assistant Chief Greg Gomes is shocked by the video and horrified at the events that took place, he said.
https://www.live5news.com/2022/04/26/gu ... harleston/

"Dozens" of shots, some automobiles injured, but thankfully no humans. Video of kids on the baseball field scrambling at link.

They are "shocked," "appalled," and "horrified!" I'm sure they will leap into action to ensure this doesn't happen again. Tots and pears.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
chancery
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by chancery »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:26 pm What kind of modern TV is wide enough to put a gun on?
What kind of pre-modern TV is flat enough to put a gun on, apart from the furniture-swathed consoles from over 50 years ago?
neonzx

Another Shooting

Post by neonzx »

chancery wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:45 pm
What kind of pre-modern TV is flat enough to put a gun on, apart from the furniture-swathed consoles from over 50 years ago?
All of em mostly. The front had a wider (deeper) flat top then the back tapered for the tube. Enough to set a handgun on.

chancery
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by chancery »

:bag:

Hmm. I guess I'm thinking of CRT sets from the 1980s & 1990s that were somewhat tapered from front to back. And the ... what should I call it, perhaps frame ... around the business front end of the tube was also somewhat cambered. If you tried to put the remote on it, the remote would slide off.

YMMV.
neonzx

Another Shooting

Post by neonzx »

chancery wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:53 pm :bag:

Hmm. I guess I'm thinking of CRT sets from the 1980s & 1990s that were somewhat tapered from front to back. And the ... what should I call it, perhaps frame ... around the business front end of the tube was also somewhat cambered. If you tried to put the remote on it, the remote would slide off.

YMMV.
Yeah, well. I think, in part, why manufacturers put that wider(deeper) frame around the front was so people could store their remote on top when not in use.

Anyway, I do not believe the story of these parents of leaving on gun on top of the TV. Now, maybe there was something lost in translation and the gun was on a TV stand/table? The claim was the the toddler was trying to get his water and maybe it was on the same TV stand/table and he knocked the gun to the floor? I dunno. Too many unknowns.
Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

In the USA, SD broadcasts stopped on June 12, 2009. That was 14 years ago. I watched it happen. ;)

Flat screen digital TVs are now quite cheap. I doubt that very many people still have SD CRT TVs now.
Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

Gunman on the run after 5 killed, including 8-year-old, in San Jacinto County, sheriff says

https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime ... f10b2875a2
A gunman is on the run after at least five people were killed at a home in San Jacinto County, according to Sheriff Greg Capers.

The incident started as a harassment call to the sheriff’s office just after 11:30 p.m. Friday night at a home on Walter Drive in the Trails End subdivision. Capers said it immediately turned into a shooting.

According to Capers, they found multiple people shot around the home. Ten people were inside the home at the time of the shooting.

Capers said the ages of the victims range from 8 to 40 years old and that they're all from Honduras. We're told four people were dead at the scene and that the 8-year-old died at the hospital. Three others were found covered in blood inside the home, but none of them were injured.

Investigators said the shooter, 38-year-old Francisco Oropeza, was confronted by neighbors and asked to stop shooting because they had a young child who was trying to sleep. Oropeza responded by saying he would do what he wants on his property.

Capers said Oropeza escaped the area after the shooting. Several guns were recovered from his home by a SWAT team.
San Jacinto County is about 20 miles north of Houston.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Another Shooting

Post by Foggy »

Investigators said the shooter, 38-year-old Francisco Oropeza, was confronted by neighbors and asked to stop shooting because they had a young child who was trying to sleep. Oropeza responded by saying he would do what he wants on his property.
The 21st century, man. :roll:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
realist

Another Shooting

Post by realist »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:36 am Gunman on the run after 5 killed, including 8-year-old, in San Jacinto County, sheriff says

https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime ... f10b2875a2
A gunman is on the run after at least five people were killed at a home in San Jacinto County, according to Sheriff Greg Capers.

The incident started as a harassment call to the sheriff’s office just after 11:30 p.m. Friday night at a home on Walter Drive in the Trails End subdivision. Capers said it immediately turned into a shooting.

According to Capers, they found multiple people shot around the home. Ten people were inside the home at the time of the shooting.

Capers said the ages of the victims range from 8 to 40 years old and that they're all from Honduras. We're told four people were dead at the scene and that the 8-year-old died at the hospital. Three others were found covered in blood inside the home, but none of them were injured.

Capers said Oropeza escaped the area after the shooting. Several guns were recovered from his home by a SWAT team.
San Jacinto County is about 20 miles north of Houston.
I have relatives in Cleveland.
Image X 4
Image X 32
Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/5-dead ... ce=twitter
"He is on the run in the Sam Houston National Forest over here in San Jacinto County. We are tracking him with dogs and men on horseback and drones in the air," said Capers.

Officials from Capers' office received a call about harassment from Cleveland at around 11:31 p.m. local time but when they reached the scene they found several victims who had been shot, he said.

There were a total of ten people in the house when the gunman got in and started shooting, said Capers, five of whom survived.

Police said the victims were all from Honduras but officials did not disclose their names, ABC news reported earlier.

The suspect stepped out of his house on Friday night and started shooting in his yard which is when some of the victims stepped out to confront him, Capers said.

"The man walked over to the fence, said 'hey, we're trying to keep the baby asleep in here'" he said.

Both parties then went back to their houses, said Caper, where the shooter "topped off his magazine, and walked down his driveway" onto the street then "into the people's house and started shooting."

The San Jacinto sheriff said the victims were killed with shots to the head.
The shooting site is not within the city limits of Cleveland which is in Liberty County. It is a few miles to the west in San Jacinto County. That area has unpaved roads and what looks to be manufactured housing.

The Sam Houston National Forest is over 160,000 acres so there is a lot of area to search.
Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

https://www.click2houston.com/news/loca ... to-county/
San Jacinto County Sheriff Greg Capers said they were able to identify Oropeza through his Mexican consulate card and a doorbell camera.

“We know him by name, date of birth. We’ve got his Mexican consulate card. Plus, there was a ring doorbell on the victim’s house that we actually captured him coming up to the front door with with the weapon,” Capers said.

Capers said Oropeza does not have a previous criminal record, but they have had previous calls to Oropeza’s home regarding him shooting his rifle in the yard.

“I can’t tell you how many times we’ve had a call out here, but we have researched a little bit of that. And we have found some prior history at these residence,” he said.

Capers said Oropeza had an AR15 style rifle along with at least two other weapons found inside his home. He also said they are interviewing Oropeza’s wife.

A warrant has been issued for Oropeza on five counts of murder. His bond has been set at $5 million.
Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

Suspect cornered, police say

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 29494.html
According to KHOU11, authorities have moved reporters to an area about 1.5 miles away from the crime scene.

The suspect is now cornered, although little is known about the details.

The San Jacinto Sheriff’s Office said earlier in the day that Oropeza is considered armed and dangerous.
Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

I presume that news media are using the word "police" as a generic term for law enforcement officers.

This crime occurred in an unincorporated area of San Jacinto County (most of which is unincorporated) so the SJ County Sheriff’s Office has jurisdiction.

The city of Cleveland TX is in Liberty County. Maybe the Cleveland Police (all 19 of them) have some sort of cooperation agreement with the SJ County Sheriff’s Office but they were not the responding officers last night. The crime did not happen in Cleveland.

Maybe the suspect is now in Cleveland?

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”