Oceans and Their Inhabitants

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

OK, that was awesome. :shock:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Ningaloo. :daydreaming:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Dave from down under wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:37 am Some fantastic images at

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-16/ ... /102291152
:lovestruck:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Dave from down under wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:37 am Some fantastic images at

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-16/ ... /102291152
:lovestruck:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:46 am Ningaloo. :daydreaming:
This is what I saw with my own two eyes at Ningaloo:

Green Turtle

Whale Shark

Sting Ray
Has everybody heard about the bird?
keith

Post by keith »

I didn't see this with my own eyes but others on the trip did.

It got really close to the surface, and the photographer got really creative:

Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Lani

Post by Lani »

I loved swimming with honu - Hawaiian green sea turtles native to Hawaiʻi. They are the largest hard-shelled sea turtle in the world, reaching lengths of four feet and weighing over 300 pounds. They liked to scare me. They would swim under me, and then pop up and scare me. I swear they laughed. Then the small group would swim with me.

A smallish shark did the same thing one day. :o I did not laugh. I freaked out and headed to the beach. BTW, it's difficult to swim while screaming.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Dave from down under

We have film of that happening
:shark2:
Lani

Post by Lani »

Yeah, that looks right. Needs screaming, tho.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Another great ocean adventure was off Cape Henry, Virginia, before I left VA forever. I loved the beach and spent my last days watching the porpoises. Lucky me, there was a marine biologist on the beach. She said she was there at the same time every morning. The porpoises began to expect her and eventually they let her swim with them.

I had only 3 days left.

So every morning, I went to the beach. The porpoises swam by. I swam out a little bit (not a strong swimmer), but they quickly went away. On the 3rd and last day, I swam out towards to them. They blew by me. I was in deep water, and no way could I keep up. Then I yelled "this is my last time". I was treading. I couldn't swim any more. Two of them turned around and looked at me. No kidding. They came to me and swam on each side of me for a little while. And then returned to their pod. One of the best days of my life. :)
Dave from down under

:thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Fabulous pics and great stories!!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Those photos are amazing, Keith. :shock:

And yes, great stories! :towel:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Foggy wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:43 am Those photos are amazing, Keith. :shock:

:yeahthat: I'm jealous! Would love to take a swim where I could see whale sharks. I took the PADI scuba class, but I am allergic to everything that grows and I have lived all my life with constant congestion in my sinuses. Nothing will clear it out for more than a minute before it just comes back. I can't take antihistimines with my other meds, so I just had to give up the dream of scuba diving. I can only go down about 25 feet before it just hurts too bad. I forced myself to complete the checkout dive at 30 ft. The following day we were scheduled to do the 60 foot dive and skills at that level. I spent the first night considering how awful it made me feel at just 30 feet and told the instructor the next morning I don't believe I can make it down to 60 feet. He convinced me to try. We arranged with the boat operator that I would go down last and possibly be coming up by myself if I can't get down to 60 feet. I got down to about 40 feet and decided I didn't need a hobby that made me hurt so much. I was quite bummed about it though.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
keith

Post by keith »

Just to be fully accurate, i didnt take them. The dive boat photographer took 'em
Dave from down under

RVInit wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:08 am

:yeahthat: I'm jealous! Would love to take a swim where I could see whale sharks. I took the PADI scuba class, but I am allergic to everything that grows and I have lived all my life with constant congestion in my sinuses. Nothing will clear it out for more than a minute before it just comes back. I can't take antihistimines with my other meds, so I just had to give up the dream of scuba diving. I can only go down about 25 feet before it just hurts too bad. I forced myself to complete the checkout dive at 30 ft. The following day we were scheduled to do the 60 foot dive and skills at that level. I spent the first night considering how awful it made me feel at just 30 feet and told the instructor the next morning I don't believe I can make it down to 60 feet. He convinced me to try. We arranged with the boat operator that I would go down last and possibly be coming up by myself if I can't get down to 60 feet. I got down to about 40 feet and decided I didn't need a hobby that made me hurt so much. I was quite bummed about it though.
I know that feeling - my ears have trouble equalising - which makes rapid ascent problematical, but I did the full PADI course with the open water part in Shark Alley (appropriately named in Fiji), with a very strong current and marine stingers.. so much fun..

But between dives we had lunch on Magic Island and the snorkeling around that was far better than you could see on the scuba dives.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Interesting video.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer

My youngest granddaughter loves "creepy creatures"! Here are a few living DEEP.

https://www.treehugger.com/ocean-creatu ... ss-4869267
16 Ocean Creatures That Live in Total Darkness
Alien-like animals that live 1000s of feet below the surface have adapted to hostile environments by taking on the most curious physical traits.

Wolffish
__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__mnn__images__2016__08__wolffish-71813d102f6d4abd893ddf458db9a8f1.webp
__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__mnn__images__2016__08__wolffish-71813d102f6d4abd893ddf458db9a8f1.webp (28.31 KiB) Viewed 671 times
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Hi, TRL!!! Your youngest granddaughter and I would have a hoot watching YouTube all day. I try to catch all those scientific submersible live feeds and if there are the words "deep sea creatures" in the title, I will click on it. Here is one that is narrated by David Attenborough. Some very cool fishies in this one.

--Colin Kaepernick
Tiredretiredlawyer

RVInit wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:51 pm Hi, TRL!!! Your youngest granddaughter and I would have a hoot watching YouTube all day. I try to catch all those scientific submersible live feeds and if there are the words "deep sea creatures" in the title, I will click on it. Here is one that is narrated by David Attenborough. Some very cool fishies in this one.
Thanks, RV! She will love those!!!!
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:31 pm
RVInit wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:51 pm Hi, TRL!!! Your youngest granddaughter and I would have a hoot watching YouTube all day. I try to catch all those scientific submersible live feeds and if there are the words "deep sea creatures" in the title, I will click on it. Here is one that is narrated by David Attenborough. Some very cool fishies in this one.
Thanks, RV! She will love those!!!!
I have to make a slight correction. There are some really stupid things on YouTube. So, when I say I will click on "anything" that has the words "deep sea creatures" that isn't quite true. Recently something came up with some title that indicated something "amazing" but of course ridiculous supposedly found in the ocean. And then there are the occasional ones that claim a megalodon was "spotted" or suspected to be living some place. I don't click on the ones that aren't from actual known science channels. EVNautilus
is great and they will often do compilations so you can see lots of interesting sea critters from several dives in one video.

https://www.youtube.com/@EVNautilus/videos
--Colin Kaepernick
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Oarfish | This Legendary Fish That Announces Tsunamis

Best Documentary
31 Jul 2023

In Japan, the Oarfish holds a significant title as "the messenger from the palace of the God of the sea." Its name, it is believed, originated from the observation that its appearance often coincided with earthquakes or tsunamis. However, an intriguing event occurred in 2011 when approximately 20 regalecs washed up on beaches in the region just before Japan was struck by the devastating Tohoku earthquake and the subsequent tsunami.

Likewise, in Chile, a peculiar occurrence took place before an 8.8 magnitude earthquake hit. Japanese fishermen had stumbled upon a dozen regalecs shortly before the seismic event occurred.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

How interesting that you posted this - I watched this very documentary this weekend. It is very well done.
--Colin Kaepernick

Return to “Science”