Re: Gay Rights - LGBT - Same Sex Marriage

Post by SLQ » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:26 pm

:violin: :dance:
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

tek

Post by tek » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:31 am

The ballot question to affirm the transgender rights law here in Mass passed by a wide margin (68-32) :dance:

The comments on Masslive are, as usual, a cesspool...
There's no way back
from there to here

bob

Post by bob » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:45 pm

Newsweek: Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis, Who Once Denied Gay Marriages, Will Pursue Christian Ministry After Losing Election:
Kim Davis, the former Kentucky county clerk, will pursue Christian ministry after losing to Democrat Elwood Caudill Jr in the race for Rowan County Clerk on Tuesday, according to her attorney [Mat Staver].

Staver, who has represented Davis when she refused to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, said that her opponent, Caudill Jr., “barely beat her”[*] and does not believe he has the knowledge of running the clerk’s office.

“But frankly, to be honest, he doesn’t have a clue about how to run the clerk’s office. And it’s a lot more than just issuing marriage licenses,” Staver said during the interview. “In Kentucky, you have to be self-funding, self-supporting. And you have to run it kind of almost like a business, so that you have a zero-based budget, essentially. And you have to create your budget. So that’s not gonna be easy for somebody coming in who’s never done a single piece of paper or administration within the clerk’s office, and she has decades of experience.”
So much for turning the other cheek.

* Davis received 43% of the vote; hardly a narrow loss.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

HeatherGray

Post by HeatherGray » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:22 pm

bob wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:45 pm
Newsweek: Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis, Who Once Denied Gay Marriages, Will Pursue Christian Ministry After Losing Election:
Kim Davis, the former Kentucky county clerk, will pursue Christian ministry after losing to Democrat Elwood Caudill Jr in the race for Rowan County Clerk on Tuesday, according to her attorney [Mat Staver].

Staver, who has represented Davis when she refused to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, said that her opponent, Caudill Jr., “barely beat her”[*] and does not believe he has the knowledge of running the clerk’s office.

“But frankly, to be honest, he doesn’t have a clue about how to run the clerk’s office. And it’s a lot more than just issuing marriage licenses,” Staver said during the interview. “In Kentucky, you have to be self-funding, self-supporting. And you have to run it kind of almost like a business, so that you have a zero-based budget, essentially. And you have to create your budget. So that’s not gonna be easy for somebody coming in who’s never done a single piece of paper or administration within the clerk’s office, and she has decades of experience.”
So much for turning the other cheek.

* Davis received 43% of the vote; hardly a narrow loss.
Looks pretty damn qualified to me, though apparently only been married once, so perhaps that's a drawback.

His resume from his website:
I began working in my father’s business, Caudill’s Scrapyard on Old Flemingsburg Road (later located on Dry Creek), while in Junior High School. I have since worked as a surveryor’s Front Chainman (5 years), as a Field Rep for the Kentucky Department of Revenue (1 year), and as a deputy in the Rowan County Office of Property Valuation for over 20 years. My professional experience makes me the ideal candiate for the office of Rowan County Clerk. Married to Trina Arnett Caudill for over 25 years with two daughters Brittany & Abby Caudill. I am a member of the Morehead Shrine Club (El Hasa Shrine Temple), a Master Mason in the Phelp’s Masonic Lodge (#482), served on the Board of Directors for Gateway Homeless Coalition, Inc., served on the Rowan County Democratic Executive Committee, and a member of the International Association of Assessing Officers (Kentucky Chapter).

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:04 pm

So... new guy doesn’t know the job yet because he hasn’t had the job yet? Isn’t that true of anyone in a new job?
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:53 pm

Same could be said of Kimmy, except she NEVER learned throughout her tenure and never seemed to figure out how thing worked d based on some of the law suits she filed and LOST.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:28 pm

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

tek

Post by tek » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:21 pm

There's no way back
from there to here

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:46 pm

I know that judges are trained to be impartial, but how are the government lawyers feeling about filing this case just after dotus bashed the Chief Justice ?

bob

Post by bob » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:26 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:46 pm
I know that judges are trained to be impartial, but how are the government lawyers feeling about filing this case just after dotus bashed the Chief Justice ?
The lawyers will continue with business as usual, but I expect someone litigating with the federal government at some point is going to ask the Chief to recuse himself because of the president's remarks.

Jcolvin2

Post by Jcolvin2 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:59 pm

The lawyers will continue with business as usual, but I expect someone litigating with the federal government at some point is going to ask the Chief to recuse himself because of the president's remarks.
That seems like a really bad idea which is unlikely to go anywhere. Litigants cannot critique a judge, and then later request recusal based on that criticism.

bob

Post by bob » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:27 pm

Jcolvin2 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:59 pm
That seems like a really bad idea which is unlikely to go anywhere. Litigants cannot critique a judge, and then later request recusal based on that criticism.
William Flynn, Esq. has a differing view:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:03 pm

U.K.
Church of England issues transgender advice for clergy
Guidance encourages use of chosen names but does not offer transition blessing

Matthew Weaver
Tue 11 Dec 2018 09.31 GMT First published on Tue 11 Dec 2018 08.42 GMT

The Church of England discussed last year how it might formally welcome transgender people. Photograph: John Robertson for the Guardian
The Church of England has published advice on how to welcome transgender people into the Anglican faith.

The pastoral guidance stops short of offering a new service or a specific blessing but it does advise Anglican clergy to address transgender people by their chosen name. It notes: “For a trans person to be addressed liturgically by the minister for the first time by their chosen name may be a powerful moment in the service.”

The document was approved by the House of Bishops on Monday night and will now be adopted into the church’s common worship. It encouraged clergy to be “creative and sensitive” in enabling people to mark a gender transition in “celebratory” way.

It details how elements including water and oil can be incorporated into the service. As part of the service they could also be presented with gifts, such as a Bible inscribed in their chosen name, or a certificate.

It says: “The Church of England welcomes and encourages the unconditional affirmation of trans people, equally with all people, within the body of Christ, and rejoices in the diversity of that body into which all Christians have been baptised by one Spirit.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... for-clergy

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:06 am

House Republicans this week were forced to cancel an anti-minimum wage hearing they had scheduled after learning that one of their star witnesses wants to level taxes against people just for being gay.

Politico reports that the House Education and Workforce Committee had originally planned a hearing this week to discuss the perils of raising the federal minimum wage to $15.

Among the featured witness was San Diego State University economist Joseph Sabia, who wrote a blog post in 2002 that was titled, “Tax Gay Sex.”

In the post, Sabia falsely claimed that homosexuals were primarily responsible for the outbreaks of diseases, thus necessitating they pay a financial penalty for their behavior.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:25 am

NBC News

Verified account

@NBCNews
4m4 minutes ago
More
Sen. Mike Lee is putting a hold on the reappointment of the first openly LGBTQ person to sit on Equal Employment Opportunity Commission because of her “radical views on marriage.” https://nbcnews.to/2CmPOw7 - @NBCOUT

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Orlylicious » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:45 am

That sucks. He's so craven. He wants to trade releasing it for something he wants.

"And the money kept rolling in, from every side..." --"EVITA"
Avatar Photo: Current Logo for Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:10 pm

Germany adopts third gender identity for intersex people

Intersex people can register as the third category on birth certificates, passports and other official documents

Intersex people in Germany can now legally identify themselves as a third gender, under a new law adopted in December.

People who do not fit the biological definition of male or female can now choose the category "diverse" on official documents.

Those choosing the option will need a doctor's certificate to register.

Intersex people are born with both male and female sex characteristics, which can appear at birth or later in life.

Other countries have approved laws in recent years to help recognise intersex people.

Austria's constitutional court made a similar ruling to Germany's in June, while Australia, New Zealand, Malta, India and Canada have all passed measures to redress issues facing intersex citizens.

The UN says up to 1.7% of the world's population are born with intersex traits - about the same number of people with red hair.

https:// www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46727611

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:31 pm

Two North Carolinians charged with sexually assaulting a transgender woman in a bar bathroom
The Washington Post wrote:Two North Carolina women have been charged with sexual battery and second-degree kidnapping of a transgender woman in the bathroom of a North Carolina bar, Raleigh police said.

The incident took place on the night of Dec. 9 at Milk Bar in downtown Raleigh, according to an offense report and 911 call made the next day. The caller, whose name was not released, reported that two women taunted, groped and exposed themselves to an unnamed victim in the bathroom.

It was not clear whether the call was made by the victim or someone who witnessed the alleged assault. The Associated Press reported that the victim was a 29-year-old transgender woman.

Amber Harrell, 38, and Jessica Fowler, 31, were arrested and charged with sexual battery and second-degree kidnapping, according to the offense report. The caller said the two continued to assault the victim at the bar — despite the bartender’s repeated orders to stop. One of the women apparently asked the victim if she had a penis.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... 8a0ae64b94
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Orlylicious » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:40 pm

I'd heard about this but hadn't seen it, this is Kevin Spacey's video, now almost 10 million views. I've known Spacey since he won best supporting actor for “The Usual Suspects” in 1996, he's always hit on young guys. 99.9% of the guys know exactly what they are doing. There are even websites like https://www.seeking.com/ (used to be seekingarrangements.com, that's how popular it is) that are for sugar babies, daddies and mommies. I'm sorry for the guy in this situation, but he claims this went on for three minutes, why didn't he walk away if it was so bad? Not really defending Kevin, but I can see how this was alcohol fueled and in a crowded place. We'll see at trial, Kevin's innocent until proven guilty. But this video is really something if you're a House of Cards fan, he really is a great actor.
Kevin Spacey's Bizarre Video Racks Up 4.5M Views in 24 Hours
10:12 AM PST 12/25/2018 by Jackie Strause

A bizarre House of Cards-inspired video posted by Kevin Spacey has been viewed 4.5 million times in 24 hours. The YouTube video, titled "Let Me Be Frank," was shared from Spacey's official Twitter account Monday, and sees the actor seemingly addressing real-life events while in character as Frank Underwood from House of Cards. His post on Twitter also had 14,000 shares and 41,000 likes after the one-day period.

Avatar Photo: Current Logo for Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:41 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :madguy:

Evangelical group wants gays removed from anti-lynching bill

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out ... ll-n956831
Liberty Counsel, an evangelical nonprofit that opposes gay rights, and its chairman, Mat Staver, are taking issue with the bill’s inclusion of LGBTQ people.

"The old saying is once that camel gets the nose in the tent, you can't stop them from coming the rest of the way in," Staver said in an interview with conservative Christian news outlet OneNewsNow. “This is a way to slip it in under a so-called anti-lynching bill, and to then to sort of circle the wagon and then go for the juggler [sic] at some time in the future."

Staver told OneNewsNow that his organization, which has been labeled an anti-LGBTQ “hate group” by the Southern Poverty Law Center, is lobbying lawmakers in the House to have them remove the bill’s “sexual orientation” and “gender identity” language before taking a vote.

Similarly, the group encouraged Congress in November to remove language about "sexual orientation" and "gender identity" discrimination from a trade agreement with Mexico and Canada.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:59 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:41 pm
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :madguy:

Evangelical group wants gays removed from anti-lynching bill

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out ... ll-n956831
Liberty Counsel, an evangelical nonprofit that opposes gay rights, and its chairman, Mat Staver, are taking issue with the bill’s inclusion of LGBTQ people.

Staver told OneNewsNow that his organization, which has been labeled an anti-LGBTQ “hate group” by the Southern Poverty Law Center, is lobbying lawmakers in the House to have them remove the bill’s “sexual orientation” and “gender identity” language before taking a vote.
The Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act already contains this language -- a battle Liberty Counsel lost.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:28 pm

Dana Goldberg @DGComedy
The leader of an evangelical group that wants to take LGBTQ people out of a bill that passed which makes lynching a federal crime, is upset because he is getting death threats. You heard me. Mat Staver is mad because people don’t think he should be allowed to lynch gay people.
I've heard this bull before.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:48 am

Has anybody told Mat that Nancy Pelosi runs the House now and no one in the majority now cares what Mat recommends they do? He and Kim Davis should just chill for a few years.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:02 pm

ABC News

Verified account

@ABC
7m7 minutes ago
More
Kansas' new Democratic governor reinstates ban on anti-LGBT bias in state agencies' employment decisions that a Republican predecessor had repealed, and expanded the policy to cover government contractors.
https://t.co/zMqyu1nlkP

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:07 pm

New York updates laws to protect gender identity from discrimination
ALBANY – The state Legislature on Tuesday passed bills that will bolster transgender rights in New York and ban conversion therapy.

After languishing for more than a decade in the state Senate, the Gender Non-Discrimination Act, known as GENDA, was approved because Democrats are now in control.

The measure would add gender identity and expression to New York's anti-discrimination laws. The Senate and Assembly both passed the bill Tuesday, and Gov. Andrew Cuomo supports it.

"After a protracted 16-year battle, the Democratic majority will finally be able to shield transgender and gender-nonconforming New Yorkers from discrimination and hate," Sen. Brad Hoylman, D-Manhattan, the bill's sponsor said in a statement.
:snippity:
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Return to “Social Issues”