Post by RTH10260 »

John Thomas8

Food but not recipes

Post by John Thomas8 »

Kendra

Food but not recipes

Post by Kendra »

https://premiermeatpies.com/

OMG, we just found this restaurant making tracks on my FB feed and they have a location within a mile or two of the office. The lads are drooling over the menu.
Kendra

Food but not recipes

Post by Kendra »

Oh dear, this is opening up soon and it's only about ten minutes away from the office. Glad I have a company card to treat the lads :)

https://cravecookies.com/pages/renton-grand-opening

Anyone try this chain before?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Food but not recipes

Post by northland10 »

Kendra wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:06 am https://premiermeatpies.com/

OMG, we just found this restaurant making tracks on my FB feed and they have a location within a mile or two of the office. The lads are drooling over the menu.
Are they made with, say, a little priest?
101010 :towel:
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Food but not recipes

Post by jez »

Kept meaning to post about this...

The Long Distance Significant Other got me a few things for Christmas. He typically gets me a couple of gag gifts, a very nice calendar, usually something pretty and sparkly... but there is always at least one surprise.

In the interest of gag gifts I received three cans of Kimch. It is called "Crazy Tiger Jumping On The Roof". Three cans. No, I'm not going to be required to eat it. Gag gift in more than one sense.

Also received a set of Cat Butt cookie cutters. Let's just say I am very slightly disturbed what you can get for cookie cutters.

And the mostest favoritist giftey:

The Complete Irish Pub Cookbook! There are several recipes I want to try in this book.

So, I plan on gaining a few pounds trying the recipes in this book.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Estiveo
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Estiveo »

The end of an era: Pea Soup Andersen's in Buellton, a SoCal landmark, closes suddenly just shy of its 100th anniversary.

https://www.sfgate.com/centralcoast/art ... 600570.php
720x0.webp
720x0.webp (53.89 KiB) Viewed 10784 times
Image Image Image Image
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Food but not recipes

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Estiveo wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:52 pm The end of an era: Pea Soup Andersen's in Buellton, a SoCal landmark, closes suddenly just shy of its 100th anniversary.

https://www.sfgate.com/centralcoast/art ... 600570.php
720x0.webp
Oh, noes! Though the Harris Ranch made a trip up I-5 more delightful, it could never hold a candle to stopping at Andersen's on US-101.

When I was a kid, we always loved stopping there because the pea soup would give everyone serious gas, and my sister and I delighted in seeing who could crank out the loudest and longest.
Estiveo
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Estiveo »

You can still get gas at their Santa Nella location, at the junction of the I-5 & SR-33 in the Central Valley.
Image Image Image Image
Estiveo
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Estiveo »

If you're like me, you'll hate that every recipe you find online has 4½ pages of digression about how the author's grandmother's goat in the old country once stopped pirates from burning down the church and saved the town and they celebrated with this recipe and that's why it's traditional to serve it whenever little Jaiçon's squash team ekes out a win blah-de-freakin'-blah-get-to-the-point-already-willya!

But I digress.

Just type cooked.wiki/ in front of the https/ in the recipe's URL.

It'll strip away everything but the ingredients in one column, and the instructions in another.

There's other things you can do at the cooked.wiki site, but this may be the greatest gift to modern cookery since Mario Batalli was banished from polite society.
Image Image Image Image
tek

Food but not recipes

Post by tek »

That is amazing! :thumbsup:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Food but not recipes

Post by keith »

many online recipes have a print button that shows a dialog box that allows you to print the whole thing, just the recipe, recipe and nutrition info, etc.

ETA: they MUST put in all that guff so they can copyright it. Most recipes are copied and minimally modified by the 'author'.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Food but not recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

Some are familiar; some are not. But I don't think I ate most of them. Thankfully.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Food but not recipes

Post by Maybenaut »

keith wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:40 am many online recipes have a print button that shows a dialog box that allows you to print the whole thing, just the recipe, recipe and nutrition info, etc.

ETA: they MUST put in all that guff so they can copyright it. Most recipes are copied and minimally modified by the 'author'.
Also, the put all that stuff in in the hope that the search engine’s algorithm will pick up on the keywords and move it up the list. You’ll notice they repeat a lot of the same words. It’s annoying.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
jez

Food but not recipes

Post by jez »

I am embarking on an adventure. I am going to attempt to make my own sushi rolls. I love veggie sushi (cucumber/carrot or Sweet potato) but it is expensive to order it from the local places. Tasty, but can get pricey. So I've been researching.

We already had the rice cooker, so good there. I already had the short grain Japanese rice, because I really like sticky rice and will make it then use it the next day for fried rice.

Bought a sushi oke (wooden tub used to cool and season the rice), some kombu to cook the rice with, and of course the nori and veggies. No sweet potato, sadly. Just the cukes and carrot. But I love it that way anyway.

I rinsed/washed the rice until the water was clear and am now soaking it for a few minutes before cooking it. I will let you now how (or if) it works.

And yes, I have the mat for rolling and all that fun stuff. You Tube is a fabulous resource, by the way. Found a few Japanese (translated of course) you tubes to watch and attempt to follow.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
AndyinPA
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:

I'll be interested to hear how it turns out.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
jez

Food but not recipes

Post by jez »

Turned out very tasty. I have to work on my rolling technique and I put too much rice in so it all kind of shot out the sides and end, but really tasty. Just doesn't look at pretty as a pro does it. :)
Sushi.png
Sushi.png (202.62 KiB) Viewed 8481 times

~Paarthurnax
Estiveo
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Estiveo »

9½/10, would schnarf down with a Sapporo.

Your rolling technique is better than mine & will doubtlessly improve with practice.
Image Image Image Image
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Food but not recipes

Post by Foggy »

That looks GREAT. Pass the wasabi.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

Nice job!
sugar magnolia

Food but not recipes

Post by sugar magnolia »

Whooo hooooo! My first King cake of the season (I know, I'm late) and it's already half gone. Haven't found the baby yet either. I warmed up with a cream cheese and will move on to praline and blueberry soon enough.
John Thomas8

Food but not recipes

Post by John Thomas8 »

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Food but not recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

Colateral damage from growing natural products
Rat poop, bug bits, mice hair: How many ‘unavoidable defects’ are in peanut butter and other foods you eat?

Sandee LaMotte, CNN
Mon, January 29, 2024 at 3:16 PM GMT+1

Brace yourselves, America: Many of your favorite foods may contain bits and pieces of creatures that you probably didn’t know were there.

the rest at the link https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/rat-poo ... 23200.html
(original: CNN)
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Food but not recipes

Post by northland10 »

Interesting article to read while having my morning brew of dark-roasted rat poop.

I remember reading something years ago about a beer company who changed their process that caused their grain to be used earlier and not sit around as long (in storage or possibly in the hoppers). It ended up changing the taste of the beer (apparently for the worse) because they had lost the added flavor of something that would grow in the stored grain.
101010 :towel:

Return to “General Stuff”