Food but not recipes

Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

Alaskan fishers fear another bleak season as crab populations dwindle in warming waters

https://apnews.com/article/alaska-berin ... e4e7023341
Gabriel Prout worked four seasons on his father’s crab boat, the Silver Spray, before joining his two brothers in 2020 to buy a half-interest plus access rights for a snow crab fishery that’s typically the largest and richest in the Bering Sea. Then in 2021, disaster: an annual survey found crabs crashing to an all-time low. The red king crab fishery was closed; the snow crab fishery cut to a tenth of the previous year’s take.

After another bad survey last year, the red king crab fishery closed again and the snow crab fishery closed for the first time ever. Suddenly, Prout’s optimism about being his family’s third generation in crab fishing seemed misplaced.

“It’s very hard to find a way to keep going forward,” said Prout, 33. With almost all his expected income gone, he’s scrambled ever since to scratch out a living by working as a salmon tender — using his boat to supply other boats and offload their catch

Researchers are scrambling to understand crabs’ collapse, with seas warmed by climate change as one theory. Preliminary data from this year’s survey suggest another year of closed or severely limited fisheries, with decisions on crab catch limits expected in early October shortly before the season traditionally opens.

Kevin Abena, who runs a fishing business with his father, also relies on tendering to stay afloat in the wake of the crab fishery closure. His vessel Big Blue, which his father built in the late 1970s, stopped fishing for most crab in Bristol Bay in 2010, but they still own access rights and take a percentage from other boats that fish their quota. Abena also fishes for halibut and black cod.

His income has dropped by about 20%, he said. He sympathizes with the larger hit taken by owners of boats with rights only for crab.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
pipistrelle

Food but not recipes

Post by pipistrelle »

I didn't know about this merger and am not thrilled. Consolidation is not good.

Kroger, Albertsons selling more than 400 stores in $1.9B deal as they look to close their merger
Kroger and Albertsons will sell more than 400 stores and other assets for about $1.9 billion, seeking to clear a path for a merger with antitrust regulators reviewing a deal that would unify two of the nation's largest grocery chains.

:snippity:

Kroger and Albertsons agreed to merge in October. Kroger, based in Cincinnati, Ohio, bid $20 billion for Albertsons. Kroger would also assume $4.7 billion of Albertsons' debt. The deal is targeted to close early next year.

The grocery chains say they must merge to compete with Walmart, Amazon and other major companies that have stepped into the grocery business. And there is significant consolidation throughout the grocery sector as companies fight with rising prices for everything from food to workers.
John Thomas8

Food but not recipes

Post by John Thomas8 »

An interesting look at historical eating:

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Food but not recipes

Post by northland10 »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:36 am I didn't know about this merger and am not thrilled. Consolidation is not good.

Kroger, Albertsons selling more than 400 stores in $1.9B deal as they look to close their merger
I've known about this. Jewel, owned by Albertsons, is local and Mariano's, owned by Kroger is local adjacent (i.e. based out of Wisconsin). The nearest stores for me are Jewel and Mariano's and they are across the street from each other.

Since I assumed the merger was going to happen because that is the way of things now, I did get some hope that maybe the Mariano's nearby will be one of the sold stores. It has gone downhill since Kroger took over.

However, I expect they will probably sell the Jewel (it is older) and rebrand the Mariano's to Kroger or Jewel though it maybe not be laid out well for a Jewel/Osco.
101010 :towel:
pipistrelle

Food but not recipes

Post by pipistrelle »

northland10 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:03 am
pipistrelle wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:36 am I didn't know about this merger and am not thrilled. Consolidation is not good.

I've known about this. Jewel, owned by Albertsons, is local and Mariano's, owned by Kroger is local adjacent (i.e. based out of Wisconsin). The nearest stores for me are Jewel and Mariano's and they are across the street from each other.

Since I assumed the merger was going to happen because that is the way of things now, I did get some hope that maybe the Mariano's nearby will be one of the sold stores. It has gone downhill since Kroger took over.

However, I expect they will probably sell the Jewel (it is older) and rebrand the Mariano's to Kroger or Jewel though it maybe not be laid out well for a Jewel/Osco.
I was looking up who owns Albertson's (Cerberus) and who owns Kroger but got this:
https://chicago.eater.com/2023/9/8/2386 ... e-in-peril
As Kroger and Albertson’s sweat through the review, there is some news. The parent company of Mariano’s, Kroger’s, has agreed to sell 14 stores in Illinois and the Mariano’s name to the entity that runs Grand Union and Piggly Wiggly. Crain’s breaks the deal down, as it’s part of a larger $1.9 billion deal that enables Kroger to dump 413 stores to C&S Wholesale Grocers.
Sounds like Kroger and Albertson's are selling stores to enable the merger.

None of this sounds good for competition but I'm no economist.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Food but not recipes

Post by Maybenaut »

We have three grocery stores in Luray. Food Lion, Walmart, and a store whose name I cannot recall but smelled like rotten meat the only time I went in.

The Food Lion is where I normally shop, but it is very small. There are larger Food Lions in Timberville and Mount Jackson - both about 12 miles away. Sometimes we’ll shop at those when we’re on the west side of Massanutten Mountain.

Sometimes I shop at the Martins in Harrisonburg (owned by the same folks who own Giant). That’s 30 miles. I’m in Harrisonburg about once a week - that’s where the nearest Lowe’s and Home Depot are. But I find Martins super overwhelming.

The nearest Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods are in Charlottesville, 40 miles away (but to get there from here you have to go over the Swift Run Gap, which is slow and windy - so it takes well over an hour to get there). But Trader Joes has the best vegan sour cream and Whole Foods has the best selection of vegan cheese, so I’ll go there occasionally.

I would be heartbroken if they ever closed the Luray Food Lion. I really loathe Walmart, so I’d gladly drive to Timberville or Mount Mount Jackson.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Food but not recipes

Post by Foggy »

We have too many.

Food Lion - all the basics, and only 2.5 miles away.

Harris Teeter - owned by Kroger, upscale (they had a freakin' sommelier in the wine aisle for a while), and the pharmacy is open Sunday

BJ's Club - big box store, and lovely rotisserie chickens only $4.99 when the damned machine is working

Sam's Club, Trader Joe's, many others - you may have heard of these

Sadly, even though I am living in North Carolina, I am not within convenient distance from a Piggly-Wiggly. I don't shop there. :blackeyebig:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
MN-Skeptic

Food but not recipes

Post by MN-Skeptic »

SuperValu - a grocery store chain - was headquartered here in the Twin Cities. At one point they participated in a purchase of Albertson's. Bad move. So I looked at the Wikipedia entries for SuperValu and Albertson's and both seem to be a whole lot of acquisitions and dispositions and restructuring and what a mess.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Food but not recipes

Post by Foggy »

I seem to recall that grocery stores operate on ridiculously small margins. :think:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
pipistrelle

Food but not recipes

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:49 am We have too many.

Food Lion - all the basics, and only 2.5 miles away.

Harris Teeter - owned by Kroger, upscale (they had a freakin' sommelier in the wine aisle for a while), and the pharmacy is open Sunday

BJ's Club - big box store, and lovely rotisserie chickens only $4.99 when the damned machine is working

Sam's Club, Trader Joe's, many others - you may have heard of these

Sadly, even though I am living in North Carolina, I am not within convenient distance from a Piggly-Wiggly. I don't shop there. :blackeyebig:
Don't have those anywhere near. and Trader Joe's isn't a supermarket.
John Thomas8

Food but not recipes

Post by John Thomas8 »

For something completely different:

John Thomas8

Food but not recipes

Post by John Thomas8 »

I think I'd rather eat the cat food:

John Thomas8

Food but not recipes

Post by John Thomas8 »

Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

Global wine production falls to 62-year low in 2023

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67343009
The International Organisation of Vine and Wine (OIV) says that wine production around the world is likely to be about 7% lower in 2023 than last year.

Such a yield would be the worst since 1961.

The OIV attributes the low levels of production to bad weather, including frost, heavy rainfall and drought.

"A perfect storm in the north and south hemispheres has created this catastrophic situation," the OIV's head of statistics, Giorgio Delgrosso, told the BBC.

The analysis is based on information from countries representing 94% of the global production of the ancient beverage.

Wine production was down in almost every country of the European Union, which produces over 60% of the world's total. According to the OIV, lower yields are due to rains and storms in some countries and droughts in others.

Yields were down 14% in Spain and 12% in Italy, where dry weather reduced this year's harvest of grapes.

But it remained perfectly even in France, meaning the country is now the world's largest producer, overtaking Italy.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Food but not recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

The shocking, stupendous rise of superhot chillies: ‘The stomach cramps can last for 14 hours’
From hot sauces to eating competitions, chilli peppers have become a global obsession – and the hottest one ever has just been announced. But why would anyone choose to eat it?

Tim Dowling
Tue 7 Nov 2023 06.00 CET

When Smokin’ Ed Currie realised he had managed to breed the world’s hottest chilli pepper, it seemed logical to mark the occasion by eating one – and getting others to do the same. “I like hot peppers,” he says. “And I like hurting my friends with hot peppers.”

The tasting of Pepper X was filmed to mark its official recognition as the world’s hottest chilli by Guinness World Records. The show was a special edition of Hot Ones, a popular YouTube series in which the host, Sean Evans, normally interviews celebrities as they work their way through an escalating series of spicy chicken wings, answering questions as their composure unravels. This time, the effect was quicker. The subjects were immediately incapacitated; they twitched, writhed and lost the power of speech. Only Currie, on the surface, appeared to be unaffected, standing by calmly, his arms folded.

“If you look at the end of that video, you can see that I’m starting to suffer,” he says, speaking from his chilli farm in South Carolina. “I’m kicking my legs, moving around. I bent over once. I’m hurting the same way everybody else is hurting.” Currie says that the human body perceives hot chillies as a danger, triggering a fight or flight response. “I believe that because I was an addict and an alcoholic for so long, my body automatically goes to the fight response. So I’m able to talk, I’m able to explain what’s going on. But the same physiological things that are happening to everyone else are happening to me.”

Currie, the founder and president of the PuckerButt Pepper Company, has been growing chillies since the 1980s. His website offers dozens of hot sauces, made by PuckerButt and others, with names such as Voodoo Prince Death Mamba, Curbstomp Extreme and Bad Apple. The company employs about 30 people, with up to another 100 employees working on Currie’s chilli farm. The previous hottest chilli, the Carolina Reaper, had held the distinction since 2013, but there were no hard feelings – the Reaper is another of Currie’s creations.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/n ... r-14-hours
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I've discovered the most wonderous snack I've come across in a while: Lily's Toaster Grills Grilled American Cheese Sandwiches. They're frozen grilled cheese sandwiches that you pop in a microwave for about 30 seconds, then into your toaster for 1 minute, 40 seconds, and voila! Nice, hot grilled cheese that tastes fantastic! They're crispy and crunchy an the toast is really buttery. They don't taste at all like frozen food, and you get a nice sandwich a lot faster than making it *and* without having to clean up the pan.

Just wanted to put a plug in for them - they're worth a try.
Kendra

Food but not recipes

Post by Kendra »

Went to Trader Joe's today. Got ice cream, grabbed a quart of Coffee Bean. OMG, I'm in heaven.
MN-Skeptic

Food but not recipes

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I bought an air fryer a year ago but just let it sit. I was partly concerned that it was going to be too hot in my small kitchen. But two weeks ago, at Costco, I found mini crab cakes in the frozen food aisle. With instructions on making them in an air fryer. Ok. That was it. I took my air fryer out to the porch and ran it there. There was no scalding air released. It would be fine, on a ceramic tile, in my little kitchen. Yay! My package of mini crab cakes is almost gone now. Mmm. Crab cakes.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

I've had three. I gave one away and use the other two.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

Try stuffed clams also. :thumbsup:
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Food but not recipes

Post by Frater I*I »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:24 pm I bought an air fryer a year ago but just let it sit. :snippity:
HERESY!!!!!!

There is only one frying, and that is in the cholesterol jacuzzi...

I like you too much to break out the torches and pitch forks...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Food but not recipes

Post by Maybenaut »

Frater I*I wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:43 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:24 pm I bought an air fryer a year ago but just let it sit. :snippity:
HERESY!!!!!!

There is only one frying, and that is in the cholesterol jacuzzi...

I like you too much to break out the torches and pitch forks...
Air fryer is a misnomer. It’s a mini convection oven. But marketers tantalized people with claims that they can make real french fries that come out crispy. Which is true and not true. You can, but they’re better in the deep fryer.

I love my air fryer. We each have one - when my husband would make something with greasy meat then leave for me to clean up before I could use it (which I would have to do since I’m allergic to beef and pork fat), I got my own and he’s not allowed to touch it.

I was skeptical at first, but now I’m sold. I love that you can reheat things and they won’t get soggy. I don’t have to waste a lot of electricity waiting for my conventional oven to warm up, and I don’t heat up my entire house in the summertime.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
MN-Skeptic

Food but not recipes

Post by MN-Skeptic »

It’s nice, too, that more packages of frozen food are including air fryer instructions.
John Thomas8

Food but not recipes

Post by John Thomas8 »

I enjoy watching Jon make 16th-19th century foods:

Kendra

Food but not recipes

Post by Kendra »

Cranberry Sauce, picked up a couple of jars last week at Trader Joe's, just cracked one open tonight. It was rather tasty IMHO. Cashier said once it's sold out, it's sold out for the season.

Return to “General Stuff”