Assault on the Capitol (DC)

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.wesa.fm/politics-government ... 0-election
State Sen. Art Haywood, D-Montgomery, is asking the Senate to investigate Sen. Doug Mastriano, R-Franklin, for his actions supporting former President Donald Trump’s election-fraud lie that led to the January 6th, 2021 attack on the U.S. Capitol.

Haywood said Mastriano used his office to spread misinformation about the 2020 election, sowing distrust from the public.

“We know that the public record shows that he used his prominence and reputation in the Senate and his office to conduct a bogus hearing at which advisers of the president, the then-president, who were not under oath, provided testimony, which proved later to be false,” Haywood said.

Haywood was referring to a policy meeting in November 2020 that Mastriano put on in Gettysburg. Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani attended and spread falsehoods about the 2020 election, and Trump called in to add to the disinformation.

Mastriano was at the U.S. Capitol for the rally that led to the riot. He bused in supporters, and was seen crossing police barricades. He denies crossing lines established by law enforcement.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.cbsnews.com/philadelphia/ne ... on-clause/
A liberal activist asked a Pennsylvania court on Tuesday to bar U.S. Rep. Scott Perry from the state's primary ballot, arguing that Perry isn't eligible because of his efforts to keep President Donald Trump in office and block the transfer of power to Democrat Joe Biden.

The seven-page lawsuit asks Pennsylvania's Commonwealth Court to declare that Perry engaged in insurrectionist activity and cannot hold public office under the Constitution's insurrection clause. The lawsuit by activist Gene Stilp names Perry and Pennsylvania's secretary of state, Al Schmidt.

Perry, a Republican, is expected to run for a seventh term, although candidates cannot file paperwork yet to qualify for Pennsylvania's April 23 primary ballot.

In part, the filing cites Perry's role in trying to use the Department of Justice to help Trump stall the certification of the election by installing an acting attorney general who would be receptive to Trump's false claims of election fraud.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... 5cc3&ei=30
Federal prosecutors this week recommended a six-month prison sentence for Ray Epps, the Trump supporter who has been the subject of right-wing conspiracy theories even after he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge for his role in the January 6th riots at the United States Capitol building.

NBC News' Ryan Reilly on Wednesday flagged a court statement made by Epps' wife in which she took former President Donald Trump and Fox News to task for spreading false claims that her husband was a secret federal agent who spurred on the riots only to make Trump and his supporters look bad.

She began by stating that both she and Epps were two-time voters of former President Donald Trump, who also loyally watched Fox News on a regular basis.

However, she has now come to realize that neither Trump nor Fox are reliable sources of information after they began peddling conspiracy theories about her husband that she knew to be false.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Kendra wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:16 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... 5cc3&ei=30
Federal prosecutors this week recommended a six-month prison sentence for Ray Epps, the Trump supporter who has been the subject of right-wing conspiracy theories even after he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge for his role in the January 6th riots at the United States Capitol building.

NBC News' Ryan Reilly on Wednesday flagged a court statement made by Epps' wife in which she took former President Donald Trump and Fox News to task for spreading false claims that her husband was a secret federal agent who spurred on the riots only to make Trump and his supporters look bad.

She began by stating that both she and Epps were two-time voters of former President Donald Trump, who also loyally watched Fox News on a regular basis.

However, she has now come to realize that neither Trump nor Fox are reliable sources of information after they began peddling conspiracy theories about her husband that she knew to be false.
The memo: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... 0.16.0.pdf
(government is requesting six months in the pokey, 1 year probation, $500 restitution)
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Too many Americans think FBI behind Capitol assault. Awful.

Gifted.
https://wapo.st/3H3eXfM
raison de arizona

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:22 pm Too many Americans think FBI behind Capitol assault. Awful.

Gifted.
https://wapo.st/3H3eXfM
People are stupid. So, so many stupid people. What to do? They appear to be uneducable.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'm so old, I remember when the internet was supposed to make us all smarter.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:38 pm People are stupid. So, so many stupid people. What to do? They appear to be uneducable.
You shut down Fox News and all the other people pumping filth into the Veins of your society.

You cant expect your body to get better when you wont stop poison getting injected into you.
Hic sunt dracones
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

10 years for this ol' Florida Man. He got convicted then went on the run, cut off his monitor and then faked a drug overdose when they finally got him. Remanded right back to prison from his sentencing hearing.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:38 pm People are stupid. So, so many stupid people. What to do? They appear to be uneducable.
they are not stupid, they are just latching on to the latest stand in for 'the jews'. They know exactly who they are picturing as pulling the strings.
raison de arizona

Womp womp.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

neeneko wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:35 pm
they are not stupid, they are just latching on to the latest stand in for 'the jews'. They know exactly who they are picturing as pulling the strings.
“The people that went there to express their views, to support Trump, were peaceful,” said Richard Baum, 61, an independent voter from Odessa, Tex. “The government implants were the violent ones: the FBI, the police people that were put in there, the antifa and BLM hired by George Soros; everybody knows that.”
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:13 pm I'm so old, I remember when the internet was supposed to make us all smarter.
I like to remind people that this was the dream back when one needed to be involved with a university, the military, or certain niche companies to have real internet access. Like air travel, it got commercialized, cheaper, more accessible, and dumbed down to the point of having so many negatives that sometimes we shoot right past the positives.

I remember as a grad student at the University of Florida in the early 1990s, things looked pretty bright for online discussion fora. It's one reason I've loved this board; it reminds me of the Usenet groups back then.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona

Ben-Prime wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:14 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:13 pm I'm so old, I remember when the internet was supposed to make us all smarter.
I like to remind people that this was the dream back when one needed to be involved with a university, the military, or certain niche companies to have real internet access. Like air travel, it got commercialized, cheaper, more accessible, and dumbed down to the point of having so many negatives that sometimes we shoot right past the positives.

I remember as a grad student at the University of Florida in the early 1990s, things looked pretty bright for online discussion fora. It's one reason I've loved this board; it reminds me of the Usenet groups back then.
Off Topic
I too (also) am a descendent of usenet groups, albeit not academic. FWIW. There's a lot of bad on the interwebs, but I still love being able to answer just about any question I have instantly.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Jan. 6 defendant from Alabama known as ‘MAGA Lumberjack’ indicted on rape charge in Limestone County

Updated: Jan. 03, 2024, 6:51 p.m.|Published: Jan. 03, 2024, 6:13 p.m.
By Howard Koplowitz | hkoplowitz@al.com

An Alabama man known as “MAGA Lumberjack” for his role in the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol is facing more charges back home.

Dillon Herrington, 32, of Madison, was indicted by a Limestone County grand jury last month on a charge of first-degree rape, court records showed.

Herrington was dubbed the “MAGA Lumberjack” by the FBI when they were seeking tips on locating the then-unidentified Jan. 6 perpetrator.

https://www.al.com/news/huntsville/2024 ... ounty.html
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I always have to remind myself that the Internet is not the entire issue with false information. Many of the folks that are are loving their false facts were already around, but we hear from and about them way more than we previous did.

In the old days, you only heard about the village idiot. Now you hear about everybody's village idiot.
101010 :towel:
much ado

Post by much ado »

northland10 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:16 am I always have to remind myself that the Internet is not the entire issue with false information. Many of the folks that are are loving their false facts were already around, but we hear from and about them way more than we previous did.

In the old days, you only heard about the village idiot. Now you hear about everybody's village idiot.
And all the village idiots can find each other and form clubs and have conventions and convince each other that only they know what is really going on with their false facts.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/05/politics ... index.html
One of the most prominent and outspoken figures in the aftermath of the January 6, 2021, attack hopes to return to the US Capitol with a new job title: Congressman.

Former US Capitol Police Officer Harry Dunn, who was on duty during the January 6 attack and who later testified to the House January 6 select committee, confirmed to CNN that he is running for Maryland’s 3rd Congressional District.

Dunn is one of just a handful of officers who have publicly spoken out about the violence he and other members of law enforcement experienced that day, and the profound and lasting impact it’s had on him.

“Obviously, my experiences on January 6 I saw firsthand democracy under attack,” Dunn told CNN. “It’s no exaggeration to say we are one election away from the extinction of our democracy as we know it right now.”

Despite the trauma, Dunn, a 15-year veteran of the force, continued to work as a Capitol Police officer until he stepped down several weeks ago. He says part of the reason he’s running is because former President Donald Trump could be reelected.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Cranking up the wayback machine, I'm reminded that misinformation has been around for as long as there has been ink on paper. Mad Magazine was constantly poking fun a John Birchers who paid for their subscriptions to the drek that was shoved through the US Mail. The Fairness Doctrine was still in effect until 1987. So, if a broadcaster gave one guy airtime, they had to offer a differing POV, though not necessarily the same amount of time. When the FCC rescinded the rule, it opened the public airwaves to opinion makers and editorialists like Rush Limbaugh with no countering voices.

Later rulings struck down limits to the number of stations a single owner could possess. And even further, limits to the media a single broadcaster could be involved in were removed allowing the wealthiest to consolidate TV, radio, and newspaper in a single market. From that sprang Fox.

In the meantime, a military project to network computers was passed to the public domain creating the fifth delivery platform* now generally known as The Internet or The Web. Each step required increased technology but offered increased availability. The Web finally allowed public participation. That had been gone since the days of the speaking in the square. The gatekeeper's control of the information space was somewhat removed. People could shout back. But that still didn't mean it was good information.

That's where we are today.

* (1) The printing press, (2) newspapers, (3) printed materials delivered by mail, (4) radio and tv broadcasters, (5) Web browsing.
bob

Post by bob »

One of the most prominent and outspoken figures in the aftermath of the January 6, 2021, attack hopes to return to the US Capitol with a new job title: Congressman.
Image ImageImage
bob

Post by bob »

This will go nowhere (and recall Klayman hasn't worked at Judicial Watch for two decades now).
Image ImageImage
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

bob wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:56 pm
This will go nowhere (and recall Klayman hasn't worked at Judicial Watch for two decades now).
GIL should sue JW, again, for stealing a potential client from FW. Since he would have sued for $500M, he can sue them for that much, ignoring that he would have failed again. He can also include everything from GIL v JW, The Original Series.

As for not working for JW, if they can get him to pay up, he will be heavily supporting their work.
101010 :towel:
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

bob wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:56 pm
If ya really, really are desperate for something to read.

One of the complaints is that no one warned Ashli before they shot her. I’d bet more than once somebody told her to stop.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... 48.1.0.pdf

And how does Trump respond to someone getting shot? Oh, just get over it.

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I think there is enough video/audio evidence kick that argument to the curb. That lady was insane.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Ironically, every yahoo supporting that lawsuit would also argue, if somebody broke out a window in their home and climbed through, said yahoo would be entitled to shoot them.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”