Assault on the Capitol (DC)

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Re: Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:24 pm
Trump 'authorized' assault on Capitol, Jan. 6 defendant argues at trial
An attorney for Dustin Thompson argued that "vulnerable" people like his client "believed the lies that were fed to them" by Trump.

An attorney for a man who took a coat rack and a bottle of liquor during the U.S. Capitol attack argued to a jury Tuesday that former President Donald Trump "authorized" the assault on the building on Jan. 6, 2021, by convincing "vulnerable" people like his client that the election had been stolen.
:snippity:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justic ... -rcna24118
I am very sure that the former guy did not say that the peoples Capitol meant that they can serve themselves with souvenirs :blackeye:
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:22 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:24 pm
Trump 'authorized' assault on Capitol, Jan. 6 defendant argues at trial
An attorney for Dustin Thompson argued that "vulnerable" people like his client "believed the lies that were fed to them" by Trump.

An attorney for a man who took a coat rack and a bottle of liquor during the U.S. Capitol attack argued to a jury Tuesday that former President Donald Trump "authorized" the assault on the building on Jan. 6, 2021, by convincing "vulnerable" people like his client that the election had been stolen.
:snippity:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justic ... -rcna24118
I am very sure that the former guy did not say that the peoples Capitol meant that they can serve themselves with souvenirs :blackeye:
And I am also very sure he didn't say that they couldn't. :taunt:
Image Image Image Image
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Kendra wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:01 pm https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/28/politics ... TWI7whZZFs
(CNN)A federal judge is allowing a major January 6 conspiracy case against four Proud Boys leaders to move forward, rejecting their bid to throw out the charges.

Judge Timothy Kelly, in a 43-page opinion issued Tuesday, sided with the Justice Department on several key legal questions, giving momentum to prosecutors as they prepare for the first wave of US Capitol riot-related trials beginning in February.
Lawsuits allege extremist groups financially liable for Capitol riot

Kelly greenlit prosecutors' use of a felony obstruction charge, among several other charges, against Proud Boys leaders Ethan Nordean, Joseph Biggs, Charles Donohoe and Zachary Rehl. (They have all pleaded not guilty.) The judge also rejected the defendants' claims that the riot could have been a protected First Amendment demonstration.

"No matter Defendants political motivations or any political message they wished to express, this alleged conduct is simply not protected by the First Amendment," Kelly wrote.

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

One week before a mob stormed the Capitol, a onetime aide to Roger Stone joined a conference call with a group of Trump's supporters and made an urgent plea:

Jason Sullivan told them that they had to go to D.C. on Jan. 6 — and "descend on the Capitol."

Feds say FBI team in Quantico helped crack phone of Enrique Tarrio

Feds: “Recently recovered evidence includes Tarrio’s
statement, made in the context of a discussion of revolution and a plan to occupy government
buildings on Jan 6, That’s what every waking moment consists of"

Plea agreement hearing today in US Capitol breach case of Sam Camargo of Broward County, Florida
Camargo is accused of being uncooperative and questioning FBI agent's "loyalty to the Constitution" in his interrogation.... and of posting this on Facebook shortly after ====>
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Here’s how Jan. 6 defendant Dustin Thompson, a Trump supporter who stole a coat rack and a bottle of liquor during the Capitol attack, cleaned up for court:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

US Bureau of Prisons shows projected release date for Jacob Chansley, the so-called QAnon Shaman, is Dec 6, 2023

https://justice.gov/usao-dc/pr/arizona- ... tol-breach
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Dustin Thompson makes that suit looks like it’s a t-shirt and jeans. :lol:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Can you lease this dress too, or only a tuxedo :?:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Carla Krzywicki of Connecticut becomes latest Jan 6 defendant to seek leniency by citing her cooperation with the House Jan 6 Committee

She argues the committee found her to be "breath of fresh air"

But....she seems to argue she met with committee nine months BEFORE the attack
tek

Post by tek »

so THAT's where the Tardis went!
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

NOW: Sentencing is underway in Jan 6 case of Blake Reed of Tennessee, who was accused of posting ahead of the riot:

"Feeling pissed off ... you will see the Republican side of this country go into anarchy
stronger than 1776 . . . The Republican Rebellion is coming soon!”
raison de arizona

Scott MacFarlane @MacFarlaneNews wrote: Reed argues that because he was videotaping the chaos.. it felt like he was watching it "through a viewfinder"

Reed says he spent two days in jail early in case.. "Without a shadow of doubt..I would not want to go back into jail"

He says the two days in jail early in case are a strong deterrence.... and that'd he be willing to go on probation for "any amount of time"
:roll:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Thank goodness Scott reporting on this. That is one fired up judge there. :torches:

Can't wait for the sentence.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Scott MacFarlane
@MacFarlaneNews
ALERT: Judge Beryl Howell sentences Blake Reed to 42 days in jail (to be served in three 14-day increments), home detention, three years probation
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

A very long article from NPR -

In a D.C. jail, Jan. 6 defendants awaiting trial are forming bitter factions
Inside the Washington, D.C., jail, where a group of defendants charged in the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol have been held for as long as a year or more, a bitter divide is growing, current and former inmates say.

A combination of that intense proximity, the stress of criminal cases and a fight over more than a million dollars donated to support the defendants has contributed to the rift.

One inmate described the situation to NPR as "too many rats together in a small cage for too long."

"Tempers naturally get short," he said, with "cliques solidifying further into independent 'camps' as time progresses."

That inmate, like several others, told his story to NPR on the condition of anonymity to describe the pressure-cooker environment inside the jail. A dozen current or former inmates of the D.C. jail ultimately spoke to NPR and said that the divisions among some of the highest-profile defendants in the country are now boiling over.
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:18 pm A very long article from NPR -

In a D.C. jail, Jan. 6 defendants awaiting trial are forming bitter factions
Inside the Washington, D.C., jail, where a group of defendants charged in the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol have been held for as long as a year or more, a bitter divide is growing, current and former inmates say.

A combination of that intense proximity, the stress of criminal cases and a fight over more than a million dollars donated to support the defendants has contributed to the rift.

One inmate described the situation to NPR as "too many rats together in a small cage for too long."

That inmate, like several others, told his story to NPR on the condition of anonymity to describe the pressure-cooker environment inside the jail. A dozen current or former inmates of the D.C. jail ultimately spoke to NPR and said that the divisions among some of the highest-profile defendants in the country are now boiling over.
Would it make me a bad person to root for them to shank each other and save us the cost of a trial? Of course, these are poots we're talking about. They might be as incompetent at shanking as they are at pooting, which would stick the taxpayers for expensive medical bills instead of funeral expenses.

I'm sure the FBI is enjoying watching the tension rise as they're all playing Squid Game and trying to jockey for position to get some of that money so they can get private lawyers. Of course, there's so much video evidence that they don't need these various factions to turn on each other in an attempt to cut a deal...
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

B4C5284B-DAB2-4D46-9FDA-FC902E6B6676.jpeg
B4C5284B-DAB2-4D46-9FDA-FC902E6B6676.jpeg (55.41 KiB) Viewed 626 times
This is a VIOLA emoji in honor of my grandson!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Is a jail term on two-week increments to accommodate something like work or child custody? I haven’t seen that before.
Fiascoist

Post by Fiascoist »

Yep, when a client had work, child custody problems and the jail wasn't crazy overbooked, (everytime a person checked in, a myriad of paperwork was required, same with check out time)weekends, incremental sentencing occured, esp. during economic downturns...jobs being hard to find.
raison de arizona

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:54 am Is a jail term on two-week increments to accommodate something like work or child custody? I haven’t seen that before.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

That's interesting. I didn't know jails would be accommodating like that.
Hic sunt dracones
Fiascoist

Post by Fiascoist »

It depended on the sheriff of every individual county.
bob

Post by bob »

Fiascoist wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:45 pm It depended on the sheriff of every individual county.
And judge.

But cf.: Jeffrey Eipstein.
Image ImageImage
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:06 am B4C5284B-DAB2-4D46-9FDA-FC902E6B6676.jpeg

:thumbsup:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:06 am B4C5284B-DAB2-4D46-9FDA-FC902E6B6676.jpeg

Violas only have 4 strings. How do I know? I've been married to a music teacher for over 45 years. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”