Assault on the Capitol (DC)

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

So when it is suddenly convenient, the president is just a figurehead?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

https://x.com/macfarlanenews/status/174 ... 14557?s=12
Scott MacFarlane
@MacFarlaneNews
Jan 6 defendants often reference the trouble they have at airports and while flying.

In newly submitted letter to court from James Rahm III, he references TSA experiences when asking for leniency ====>
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:44 pm https://x.com/macfarlanenews/status/174 ... 14557?s=12
Scott MacFarlane
@MacFarlaneNews
Jan 6 defendants often reference the trouble they have at airports and while flying.

In newly submitted letter to court from James Rahm III, he references TSA experiences when asking for leniency ====>
Should thought of that before you got your insurrection on....sucks to be you, meanwhile stand aside I'm in economy plus which comes with free booze...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Frater I*I wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:57 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:44 pm https://x.com/macfarlanenews/status/174 ... 14557?s=12
Scott MacFarlane
@MacFarlaneNews

Should thought of that before you got your insurrection on....sucks to be you, meanwhile stand aside I'm in economy plus which comes with free booze...
Ha! I was about to type “sucks to be you.”

Great minds…
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

At leat he still gets to fly. I bet there have been some emails that had certein suspicious references in the past...
DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:41 pm So when it is suddenly convenient, the president is just a figurehead?
The guys said “ The federal law that prohibits the activation of the NG in the DC and the capitol without approval from either the mayor or the majority leaders in Congress.”

I asked him for a link to that federal law. He told me Google

I guess it’s fair to assume there is no such law.

But you know me. I insist on being spoon-fed everything.
raison de arizona

Yes, and tfg is a well known stickler for the rules, even if. His poor little hands were tied.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

DrIrvingFinegarten wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:55 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:41 pm So when it is suddenly convenient, the president is just a figurehead?
The guys said “ The federal law that prohibits the activation of the NG in the DC and the capitol without approval from either the mayor or the majority leaders in Congress.”

But you know me. I insist on being spoon-fed everything. getting some other kid to do my homework so I can play Mario Kart all afternoon.
Image Image Image Image
DrIrvingFinegarten

Estiveo wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:09 pm
DrIrvingFinegarten wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:55 pm

But you know me. I insist on being spoon-fed everything. getting some other kid to do my homework so I can play Mario Kart all afternoon.
Well, actually I was insisting on the guy who made the claim trying to back it up. That’s the way it works, right?

Just checking, there is no such federal law, right?
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

1. What did you find when you did a google search for who can deploy the DC national guard?

ii. Did you, in fact, DO such a search?

C. Are you asking us to do said search for you, so you can cite the results in your argument with some internet rando elsewhere online?

IV. You're playing Mario Kart right now, aren't you?
Image Image Image Image
DrIrvingFinegarten

Estiveo wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:46 pm 1. What did you find when you did a google search for who can deploy the DC national guard?
I found no such law.
Yes, I did.
C. Are you asking us to do said search for you, so you can cite the results in your argument with some internet rando elsewhere online?
No, but if I’m wrong about this I’d appreciate if someone who is non-MAGA could let me know.
I don’t play video games.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Dr. I.F.

Seems to me that you are missing Estevios point.

I think he is directing snark at the internet rando that you were discussing, not you. Though that rando cannot see E's snark, this is a technique often used here to amplify the kind of post you offered.

He was not suggesting you were playing Mario Kart, he was suggesting your correspondent was playing Mario Cart.

Of course I could be wrong about both of you.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

keith wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:11 pmOf course I could be wrong
You are.

What the good doctor is doing is not actually seeking information, but validation. It's what he does.
He doesn't need us so much as he needs this:
61kMC+74HeL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
61kMC+74HeL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg (74.39 KiB) Viewed 730 times
Image Image Image Image
DrIrvingFinegarten

Estiveo wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:30 pm
keith wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:11 pmOf course I could be wrong
You are.

What the good doctor is doing is not actually seeking information, but validation. It's what he does.
He doesn't need us so much as he needs this:
61kMC+74HeL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
1). Learn to suffer fools.
2). Learn to give a straight answer.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Did somebody say Mario kart?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... 6fb6&ei=16
Proud Boys member Marc Bru has been sentenced to six years in prison on charges related to storming the Capitol on Jan. 6 after he insulted the judge who punished him.

Bru repeatedly interrupted Chief Judge James Boasberg, calling him the “clown” and a “fraud” presiding over a “kangaroo court.” Boasberg warned him that he could be kicked out of the courtroom if he continued, The Associated Press (AP) reported.

“You can give me 100 years and I’d do it all over again,” said Bru, who was handcuffed and shackled. Boasberg determined Bru had no remorse.

Bru, a member of the far-right Proud Boys militia group from Washington state, was found guilty in October of felonies related to the insurrection, including obstruction of an official proceeding, civil disorder and multiple misdemeanors for participating in the riots and entering the Capitol building.
Prosecutors described Bru as one of the least remorseful rioters who participated in the insurrection. Bru planned for a “January 6 2.0” attack to take over the government in Portland, Ore., just weeks after the riot in Washington, D.C., the AP reported.

“He wanted a repeat of January 6, only he implied this time would be more violent,” prosecutors said.

The Department of Justice said Bru charged the makeshift barricades police officers made with a bicycle rack and used his body weight to push against it. He joined other rioters inside the Capitol and entered the Senate gallery.

Bru had failed to appear at two court hearings since June. He represented himself in court and had an attorney on standby, the AP reported.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Only 6 years…
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Estiveo wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:46 pm 1. What did you find when you did a google search for who can deploy the DC national guard?

Orly Taitz called. She wants her numbering scheme back. :mrgreen:
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

roadscholar wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:20 am

Orly Taitz called. She wants her numbering scheme back. :mrgreen:
Organization is key. 8-)
Image Image Image Image
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Milwaukie (OR) Man Arrested for Storming Capitol on Jan. 6

Andy Steven Oliva-Lopez was captured on video climbing over barricades outside the Capital building on Jan. 6, 2021, wearing a gas mask and then spraying police officers with what appeared to be bear spray. He was later the subject of an FBI “Be on the Lookout” bulletin, as well as a campaign ad for President Joe Biden (where he was used as an exhibit of the threat against democracy).

Oregon native GQP member Capital tourist will get an all expenses paid trip to Federal Prison.
raison de arizona

Notes for Resentencing James Little, from Judge Royce Lamberth, a Reagan appointee and the longest-serving district judge on the federal bench in Washington, D.C.. Quite a read, he dishes a "little truth" about the J6ers.
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... 0.73.0.pdf
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Damn, that’s harsh. And I must say, it’s a little surprising. Lambert says that upon resentencing, as long as the dude gets credit for the time he’s already served, it is OK to adjudge a longer sentence than the one originally adjudged.

I don’t know what the federal appellate courts have to say about that**, but to me it seems, I don’t know, wrong somehow. IMO, a criminal defendant shouldn’t be able to make his condition worse by mounting a successful appeal. That is true for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is when he ends up before the same judge whose decision he dared to question, the potential for judicial bias is high.

I’m not saying Little doesn’t deserve every day of the sentence he got. This just strikes me as wrong, and if this sort of thing is permitted under federal law, then Congress ought to change the law.

** In the military system adjudging a longer sentence on remand is prohibited.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

My take and from quick skimming above document is that during the probation period defendant did not show himself acknowleging social norms, just adding more negative facts, like may have been reflected in the earlier court report.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:48 am My take and from quick skimming above document is that during the probation period defendant did not show himself acknowleging social norms, just adding more negative facts, like may have been reflected in the earlier court report.
That was my take too – and I thought Lamberth was generous in giving significant allowance (30 days prison time, iirc) for that period of uncooperative probation.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Florida man sentenced to 5 years in prison for assaulting officers in Jan. 6 Capitol riot

THAO NGUYEN USA TODAY
01/18/2024

A Florida man was sentenced to five years in prison on Wednesday for assaulting at least six officers during the Jan. 6 Capitol Riot, including one U.S. Capitol Police officer who was so severely injured that he was forced to retire, the Justice Department said.

Described as "one of the more violent" rioters, the Justice Department said Kenneth Bonawitz was sentenced to five years in prison, three years of supervised release, and was ordered to pay $2,000 in restitution and fines. Bonawitz, 58, of Pompano Beach, Florida, was arrested last January and pleaded guilty in August to three felony charges: civil disorder, obstruction of an official proceeding and assaulting a law enforcement officer during a civil disorder.

Federal prosecutors said Bonawitz, a member of the far-right Proud Boys extremist group’s Miami chapter, came to the Capitol "prepared for violence" and stormed the building with a mob of Donald Trump supporters on Jan. 6, 2021. Bonawitz's attacks included throwing himself at officers and tackling them to the ground in addition to placing one officer in a chokehold and lifting the officer up by the neck, according to court documents.

"His actions and the actions of others disrupted a joint session of the U.S. Congress convened to ascertain and count the electoral votes related to the 2020 presidential election," the Justice Department said in a news release.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... nd%20fines.

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”