Post by June bug »

GREGG!!!

:groupdance: :grouphug: :bunny: :blissy:
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

Great news about Gregg. Go, Gregg!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
qbawl

It sucks growing old

Post by qbawl »

Jcolvin2 posted
Gregg is improving! Parvati posted the following update from Gregg's family on Quatloos:
This is indeed great news! I was wondering if jcolvin2, Frater, or anyone else who is a member @ quatloos might have a contact number for Gregg's sister? I live about 5 miles from where Gregg is now and though we've never met in meatspace we have met in the late lamented virtual Tuesday meetups and via DM's. In fact we were messaging the day before his incident about the two of us having a meetup at a local model railroad attraction. Of course I wouldn't want to try to go see him without getting clearance from him via his family. Any info would be appreciated.
thanks, qb
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

It sucks growing old

Post by Frater I*I »

qbawl wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:45 pm Jcolvin2 posted
Gregg is improving! Parvati posted the following update from Gregg's family on Quatloos:
This is indeed great news! I was wondering if jcolvin2, Frater, or anyone else who is a member @ quatloos might have a contact number for Gregg's sister? I live about 5 miles from where Gregg is now and though we've never met in meatspace we have met in the late lamented virtual Tuesday meetups and via DM's. In fact we were messaging the day before his incident about the two of us having a meetup at a local model railroad attraction. Of course I wouldn't want to try to go see him without getting clearance from him via his family. Any info would be appreciated.
thanks, qb
I do not.

Wonderful news about Gregg.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
John Thomas8

It sucks growing old

Post by John Thomas8 »

jcolvin2 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:38 am Gregg is improving! Parvati posted the following update from Gregg's family on Quatloos:
Hi everyone. I know it has been a while since I posted an update but that was because there wasn't much to tell. He was moved to (the) Care Center on December 28 and his condition was much of the same. He could follow some commands but still no verbal communication except saying Ayeee. He almost seemed depressed at times. I was worried that he was giving up. About a week ago, he became irritated with the therapy staff and told them this was stupid when they were trying to get him to do something. He also used the F word. We were overjoyed for any words!

And then last Wednesday, it was like a switch was turned on in his brain. He was trying to get things out but not all of the words were there. But he was communicating with us. And more has been coming everyday. He is able to tell staff if he is uncomfortable or if he needs anything. Therapy has him walking the halls and getting him stronger after being bedridden for so long. He's asking questions and able to answer things we ask him. Sometimes he gets frustrated as he can't always find the words he wants and somethings come out as words that don't make sense in the context.

And then today was a big day. He has had an ng tube for feeding since he was admitted to the hospital. But it was not a long term solution so there was a surgery scheduled for the end of this month to switch to a g-tube. In his previous state, being able to feed himself was not possible. But to move forward, he needed to pass a barium swallow test. If you have never had to have a barium test, it is not fun. The solution looks and has the consistency of paint or elmers glue. They had given him one in the hospital and he was unable to do it. Well they gave him one today and he passed with flying colors, so the ng tube is gone! He had some applesauce, turkey and a cookie for lunch. I was there tonight when they brought him dinner. He grabbed the jello and cleaned the bowl. He ate about a third of the chili and half of the hash browns and half of his corn muffin. I think he drank the lemonade in 2 swallows. He declared himself full. It was so wonderful to have him enjoy food again after living on liquid nutrition for so long.

So that's the latest. I hope to have many new updates to add in the next few weeks. He still has a long way to go before we can get him home and reunited with Root Beer and Biscuit.
Finally, tears of joy instead of sadness. This is so awesome.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Yay! Finally some good news! :dance:
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
p0rtia

It sucks growing old

Post by p0rtia »

Foggy wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:19 am Speaking of growing old, I am now 4 days from my next major surgery and I am not capable of thinking or communicating coherently, because I'm terrified and I'm not sure I'm doing everything right to get ready. I have a job this week, and my job is to get ready for the Grand Opening of my right leg. My leg works great, I walked 2 miles yesterday, why am I letting them ruin it? :think: Oh, wait.

But I'm just making excuses for why I can't make plans for a Meetup later this year, and now I want to know more about Gregg's recovery before I take any decisions.
:bighug: :hide: :heart:

Good luck!
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

It sucks growing old

Post by Maybenaut »

It does suck growing old. I spent all day today at various doctors’ offices looking for diagnoses on issues that might be nothing or might be life-threatening.

Fortunately, all is well. But I’ve had an anxious couple of weeks.

So glad to hear about Gregg, and I hope he makes a full recovery and is able to rejoin us.

:pray: :bighug:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
jcolvin2
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by jcolvin2 »

Frater I*I wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:47 pm
qbawl wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:45 pm Jcolvin2 posted
thanks, qb
I do not.

Wonderful news about Gregg.
I do not have contact info for Gregg's family either. I have reached out to Parvati, the woman who has posted updates from the family on Quatloos, to request contact info. If I receive it, I will PM it to you.
qbawl

It sucks growing old

Post by qbawl »

Thanks! I appreciate it.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

It sucks growing old

Post by keith »

I had my second cataract surgery on Tuesday.

So now I can see OK enough to read my computer screen, but they aren't quite the same focus point so I'm always closing one eye.

My glasses are almost worthless. I have a lazy eye so I have double vision that has been fixed by prism in my glasses for 55 years or more. So now I can put on my glasses and see one blurry image or leave them off and see 2 mostly clear images. Last week I went to a friends 82 birthday lunch at his favourite restaurant and in the process of filling a wine glass, I poured a half a glass onto the table instead of into the glass. I had my glasses off, and I could see two glasses but I tried to fill the wrong one.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
jcolvin2
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by jcolvin2 »

keith wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:36 pm I had my second cataract surgery on Tuesday.

So now I can see OK enough to read my computer screen, but they aren't quite the same focus point so I'm always closing one eye.

My glasses are almost worthless. I have a lazy eye so I have double vision that has been fixed by prism in my glasses for 55 years or more. So now I can put on my glasses and see one blurry image or leave them off and see 2 mostly clear images. Last week I went to a friends 82 birthday lunch at his favourite restaurant and in the process of filling a wine glass, I poured a half a glass onto the table instead of into the glass. I had my glasses off, and I could see two glasses but I tried to fill the wrong one.
Prism buddy! I have had a prism correction in my glasses for several decades. I have learned to be very careful when I am without glasses - it probably helps that I as blind as a mole without glasses.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Slim Cognito »

I too have a lazy eye and double vision when I'm forced to use the left one. They tried to get my vision to fuse using stereoscopes but when I was able to get the two images somewhat close, it was clear the axis was off in the left so it was never going to work. They gave up when I was still kindergarten-ish and my brain took over from there. Now I'd say 95% of the time I see as a monovision person, albeit left eye blind (the vision is 20/80 in that eye anyway) and the other 5% is nap time.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Annrc
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Annrc »

Yay, Gregg!!!!

Go Foggy! You will do great!

Two months ago they did surgery on my spine. They scraped bone off of an old fusion of L3,4 &5. They then took out two rods since the old fusion is working as anticipated. They then inserted a spacer, spine cage and two new rods at the L2&3 level. My back now hurts less than it has in years, and….almost all neuropathy is gone from my legs. Now, wish they could fix my knees.

Old people rock, replacement parts are good for our bodies! They help keep us going.
jcolvin2
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by jcolvin2 »

Good luck, Foggy!
jcolvin2
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by jcolvin2 »

The latest update on Gregg from the family as shared by Parvati:
A big day for Gregg! Root Beer and Biscuit came to visit! I don’t know who was happier, Gregg or the dogs. They are spending the night at [L]’s doggie B & B and will get to visit for a little while in the morning before they return to their temporary home with cousin [A]. I have video too, just haven’t figured out how to post it yet.

The therapist also decided that Gregg was finally strong enough to take a sitting shower. They have been giving him bed baths but just not the same. He said it made him feel so good to be clean. All in all, it was a very good day!
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

It sucks growing old

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

It sucks growing old

Post by bill_g »

Right on Gregg!

Big hugs for annrc and Foggy. :bighug: :bighug:
p0rtia

It sucks growing old

Post by p0rtia »

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:
:grouphug:
Volkonski
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Volkonski »

:biggrin:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
jemcanada2

It sucks growing old

Post by jemcanada2 »

jcolvin2 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:11 am The latest update on Gregg from the family as shared by Parvati:
A big day for Gregg! Root Beer and Biscuit came to visit! I don’t know who was happier, Gregg or the dogs. They are spending the night at [L]’s doggie B & B and will get to visit for a little while in the morning before they return to their temporary home with cousin [A]. I have video too, just haven’t figured out how to post it yet.

The therapist also decided that Gregg was finally strong enough to take a sitting shower. They have been giving him bed baths but just not the same. He said it made him feel so good to be clean. All in all, it was a very good day!
Thanks for the update! I’d love to see the video of the 699th being reunited :lovestruck: :lovestruck:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Slim Cognito »

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

It sucks growing old

Post by neonzx »

Great update on Gregg!! Steady Progress. :bighug:
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

:bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”