It sucks growing old

Post by Annrc »

:thumbsup:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

Yikes, Annrc, your surgery sounds like No Fun on a scale of No Fun At All! :eek:

Glad you got a good outcome, and yeah, they can just keep inventing new stuff and stickin' it in me, till I get to be 200 or 300 years old. :towel:

I'll be AFK for a few days, starting in the morning. But I got this thing. :boxing:

Can't wait to hear more news about Gregg. I'm having trouble logging into Quatloos.

:popcorn: ❤️
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Estiveo
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Estiveo »

You can do eeet, Foogy!
GE2z_zAWMAAIIjA.jpeg
GE2z_zAWMAAIIjA.jpeg (54.08 KiB) Viewed 831 times
Image Image Image Image
jemcanada2

It sucks growing old

Post by jemcanada2 »

Good luck tomorrow, Foggy! :bighug: :bighug:

Good luck with your surgery too,Annrc! :bighug:
roadscholar

It sucks growing old

Post by roadscholar »

^ What they said. :thumbsup:
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

Hope all goes well!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

It sucks growing old

Post by Lani »

I'm happy to hear this!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Slim Cognito »

:bighug:
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

jemcanada2 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:42 pm Good luck tomorrow, Foggy! :bighug: :bighug:

Good luck with your surgery too,Annrc! :bighug:
:yeahthat: :bighug: :bighug:
Volkonski
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Volkonski »

Best wishes for a great outcome. :thumbsup:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
p0rtia

It sucks growing old

Post by p0rtia »

Wishing you good luck, and we promise to behave while you're gone!

:oldlady:

(Come back soon)
W. Kevin Vicklund

It sucks growing old

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

I make no promises...
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

It sucks growing old

Post by Frater I*I »

p0rtia wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:05 pm Wishing you good luck, and we promise to behave while you're gone!

:oldlady:

(Come back soon)
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

It sucks growing old

Post by raison de arizona »

Thanks for the update! Great news!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Mrich

It sucks growing old

Post by Mrich »

I spent Friday afternoon and evening in an emergency room with my sister. She has been sick since MLK day - strep, ear infection, that cough/cold that's going around... you name it. (She's 64 and a special ed teacher, and is exposed to EVERYTHING.) Since she was experiencing vertigo, I drove her to see her primary care doctor, who said "you might be having a stroke" and sent us to the ER. I hadn't noticed because I had just picked her up and driven her to the appointment and hadn't taken a good look at her, but her right side of her mouth and right eye were drooping.

Luckily, it wasn't a stroke; she was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy. They gave her a script for steroids, eye drops, something for congestion, and told her to tape her eye closed at night so her eye wouldn't dry out and cause cornea damage. Inconvenient, but infinitely better than a stroke!

So... my question is, anybody have experience with this? My other sister's bro-in-law had it several years ago and it took him a full year to get over it, but her doctor at the ER told her a couple months. I'm hoping since she didn't even notice the weakness, she has a mild case (if there is such a thing).
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

No knowledge, but :bighug: .
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pipistrelle

It sucks growing old

Post by pipistrelle »

I worked with someone who developed it overnight and recovered fully within a few weeks.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Slim Cognito »

My mother and my aunt both had it. It took my mother quite a while to recover but she was in her 80s. But she did recover.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Mrich

It sucks growing old

Post by Mrich »

Got a call from the memory care where my dad is (93, been there since Jan 10). He was eating, then his head dipped down - they thought he was praying. That is, until he threw his head back, his eyes rolled back, and he was OUT. They tried to get him to walk but he couldn't (he can normally manage with a walker), so they tried to put him in a wheelchair but he wouldn't bend his knees. so they got a stretcher and called EMTs who took him to the ER.

He was in the ER from 11:30am-6:30. Bo-ring! We did have a room and he pretty much behaved himself except towards the end when he tried to tear all the wires and tubes off.

So, not his heart... not lungs... not a stroke (probably).... Blood and urine and BP were ok. The doctors said they could do further testing but it might be invasive for him at his age.

When we got back to the memory care, I was talking to one of the attendants who was not there at lunch time. She said it could be "Vasovagal syncope" which is caused by a sudden drop in BP which can cause fainting. I used to work with a guy who would faint at the slightest drop of blood and that sounds like what HE had.

We may never know. Time for alcohol.
p0rtia

It sucks growing old

Post by p0rtia »

I have vasovagal syncope. All my life. This sounds quite different. Notably the unbendable knees part.

It's a fear/panic reaction to a trigger, and it is not controllable. Just fainting due to lack of blood flow to the head (vagus nerve spasms and inhibits blood flow). It does not last, once you lie down. These days I can feel it coming so I find the nearest flat surface. So I don't feel anything other than clammy and spacey. In the old days it got to ringing ears and tunnel vision a couples of times,
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

It sucks growing old

Post by Frater I*I »

Mrich wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:37 pm Time for alcohol.
I approve. :thumbsup: Best wishes for your father.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Mrich

It sucks growing old

Post by Mrich »

p0rtia wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:17 pm I have vasovagal syncope. All my life. This sounds quite different. Notably the unbendable knees part.

It's a fear/panic reaction to a trigger, and it is not controllable. Just fainting due to lack of blood flow to the head (vagus nerve spasms and inhibits blood flow). It does not last, once you lie down. These days I can feel it coming so I find the nearest flat surface. So I don't feel anything other than clammy and spacey. In the old days it got to ringing ears and tunnel vision a couples of times,
Thanks for the comment. I thought it was odd the doctor didn't even mention it, but I was kinda hoping it was something simple to explain.

He slept the night (which is unusual), and was doing ok today. They are going to do what they describe as a DNA test to see if maybe the drugs he is on are best for him. (My niece said they did that for her when she was having problems with postpartum depression, but I have never heard of that. It's like me with Benadryl; it makes most people sleepy but it just gets me wired.) Maybe he just needs a change in meds. We just want him to be comfortable and be able to sleep at night.

I hate this fucking disease.
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug:
p0rtia

It sucks growing old

Post by p0rtia »

Likewise. I hope your Dad has a patch of smooth sailing. Sending love. :heart:

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”