Covid-19 Numbers

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Re: Covid-19 Numbers

Post by bill_g »

Slarti the White wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:14 pm
Um... no.
I knew there would be a 100% chance you would rip it to shreds!

Thanks Slarti!
Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Post by Slarti the White »

bill_g wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:38 pm
Slarti the White wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:14 pm
Um... no.
I knew there would be a 100% chance you would rip it to shreds!

Thanks Slarti!
To me, the best part about being a scientist is finding out that you are wrong - it's when you learn something - and a true scientist is someone who bends over backwards to prove that their own ideas are wrong. You just demonstrated some of the most important traits of a scientific mindset in my book - not being afraid to be wrong, acknowledging your mistake, learning from it, and enjoying it.

You may have gotten the problem a little messed up, but by my standards you aced the test!
:thumbsup:

p.s. Technically speaking, the probability that I would rip it to shreds was only 1 - epsilon, where epsilon is very small (at least before I did so). A scientist always allows for the possibility of falsification.
:towel:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

Austin is in trouble as well. Slightly under 99 percent of all ICU beds in the region are in use. :shock:

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/w ... ral-texas/
filly

Post by filly »

bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Slarti the White wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:16 pm
To me, the best part about being a scientist is finding out that you are wrong - it's when you learn something - and a true scientist is someone who bends over backwards to prove that their own ideas are wrong. You just demonstrated some of the most important traits of a scientific mindset in my book - not being afraid to be wrong, acknowledging your mistake, learning from it, and enjoying it.

You may have gotten the problem a little messed up, but by my standards you aced the test!
:thumbsup:

p.s. Technically speaking, the probability that I would rip it to shreds was only 1 - epsilon, where epsilon is very small (at least before I did so). A scientist always allows for the possibility of falsification.
:towel:
I totally agree, and it's very similar to the Courage to be Wrong speech I give to my apprentices. My double E from MI State 79 aged out a long time ago, but I've done well as a telecom system integrator. However, the lessons I've learned can apply to any career.

Unfortunately, one of the hallmarks of our industry is to toss people into the deep end of the pool just to see if they can swim. So, here you are faced with a million dollar system, by yourself, a stack of RTFM, a deadline, little mentoring, certainly no model specific training, some as builts, no supervision, and you have to make a decision how to proceed. You have to nut up, make an informed choice, and self correct as you progress.

Eventually, with enough wins under your belt, you develope the Courage to be Right. This is a good thing. It's a bit of intuition combined with knowledge. It's truely a WAG sometimes. But, if you listen to the back of your head trying to push the solution forward, you'll most often succeed. People will pay you quite well to make good decisions.

However, along with that will come some losses, sometimes spectacular losses. Guaranteed. And you have to be willing to accept those. If you invest your ego, and refuse to acknowledge you were wrong, you will spin out. OTOH, if you enbrace your mistake, you will also eventually develope the Courage to be Wrong. And believe me, people will more for risk takers who can find their way back from Wrong.

The Machine loves to play Stump the Chump. The hardware and the programming do not always agree with how to operate, and unexpected results are the challenge we have to meet head on. So, I greet my mistakes with hat in hand, a smidgen of humility, and a serenity that has come from a lifetime of being in the game. It always exciting to see other minds in the challenge find the solution who take the time to explain their work. It gives me joy.
Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Post by Slarti the White »

Off Topic
bill_g wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:44 pm I totally agree, and it's very similar to the Courage to be Wrong speech I give to my apprentices. My double E from MI State 79 aged out a long time ago, but I've done well as a telecom system integrator. However, the lessons I've learned can apply to any career.
:lovestruck:

I have a BS ('91) and MS ('95) from Michigan State - didn't know you were a fellow Spartan! Did you ever have a class from Professor Dubes or Professor Forsyth in the CS department? (old fambly friend and my best friend's dad respectively)

Anyway, the business I'm trying to get into is helping in the development of scientific innovations, their technological implementation, and production. The thing about innovations is that there is never a "road map" or "best practices" as to how to do it (if there were, it wouldn't be innovative). You have to be willing to fail to have a chance at success - the trick is to make sure that if you fail, you "fail safe" so you can pick yourself up, learn the lessons and try again. I learned that one the hard way myself and will give others the benefit of my experience (without making the kind of mess with their life that I did) if they want my help.

In any case, your Courage to be Wrong speech sounds like a variation on the same theme. I don't know where you got it from, but I got the seeds of the idea from Richard Feynman's Cargo Cult Science speech. Reading his autobiography in high school is what made me want to become a scientist (although I ended up switching to math as an undergrad - long story). I think those scientific/engineering principles are sorely needed in our public discourse today - especially with regard to the COVID pandemic.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:16 pm

In a more rational population this data would spur a rush to get vaccinated. In the US I expect little reaction
:(
Actually, vaccination rates increased by 15% last week. Those who just "didn't get around to it" have finally found time in their schedule. Some who were vaccine hesitant are no longer hesitant now that delta, delta+, lambda, and zeta are here.

From CNN (SS used because the graphic lead to a huge chart breakdown by state).
Attachments
IMG_08082021_222850_(900_x_900_pixel).jpg
IMG_08082021_222850_(900_x_900_pixel).jpg (92.3 KiB) Viewed 1809 times
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

LM K wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:31 am
Volkonski wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:16 pm https:// twitter.com/thehill/status/1413905131339272192?s=19

In a more rational population this data would spur a rush to get vaccinated. In the US I expect little reaction
Actually, vaccination rates increased by 15% last week. Those who just "didn't get around to it" have finally found time in their schedule. Some who were vaccine hesitant are no longer hesitant now that delta, delta+, lambda, and zeta are here.

H/T

Covid Zeta - this one is new to me. Google tells me it's a Brazilian variant originating from the Rio de Janeiro region.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:58 am
Volkonski wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:16 pm https:// twitter.com/thehill/status/1413905131339272192?s=19

H/T

Covid Zeta - this one is new to me. Google tells me it's a Brazilian variant originating from the Rio de Janeiro region.
And every time I see it mentioned I am grateful my daughter was able to come home and get her vaccine. She's a teacher in Sao Paulo and not eligible for the vax in Brazil yet.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Off Topic
Slarti the White wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:40 am
I have a BS ('91) and MS ('95) from Michigan State - didn't know you were a fellow Spartan! Did you ever have a class from Professor Dubes or Professor Forsyth in the CS department? (old fambly friend and my best friend's dad respectively) [snip]
Sparty!

I am a bad alum, never got school fever, and never looked back. We lived with my grandmother over in Lansing. I had a goal to feed my family, get my degree, and move forward. I was very single minded about it. Flipped a lot of burgers, charred a lot of steaks, built some cars, painted houses, and balanced class schedule with work every term towards that. I don't recall the names of any profs, TA's, or students. It's a blur now.

Thanks for the link to Feynman. An interesting way to start a Monday. I would love to claim my speech sprang wholly from my mind, but I'm sure it was influenced by several someones, and I merely wove their ideas into my interpretation. Our lives are not linear sums of experiences, but a mass in motion in an arc influenced by the other bodies along our trajectory. The trick is to recognize when to allow yourself to be drawn to someone's gravity, and when to apply your boosters to avoid it. :wink
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:48 am
And every time I see it mentioned I am grateful my daughter was able to come home and get her vaccine. She's a teacher in Sao Paulo and not eligible for the vax in Brazil yet.
Amen to that. Bolsonaro has made a mess of Brasil.
Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

Mississippi hospitals in crunch as COVID cases proliferate
JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — Mississippi's top public health official said Monday that as COVID-19 cases continue to surge with the highly contagious delta variant, no intensive care beds were available in about 20 of the state's top-level hospitals.
:snippity:
Mississippi has one of the lowest COVID-19 vaccination rates in the nation. As of Friday, the state Health Department said 35% of Mississippi residents were fully vaccinated, compared to 50% nationally.
https://www.theintelligencer.com/news/a ... 374622.php
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Notaperson wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:17 pm Mississippi hospitals in crunch as COVID cases proliferate
JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — Mississippi's top public health official said Monday that as COVID-19 cases continue to surge with the highly contagious delta variant, no intensive care beds were available in about 20 of the state's top-level hospitals.
Mississippi has one of the lowest COVID-19 vaccination rates in the nation. As of Friday, the state Health Department said 35% of Mississippi residents were fully vaccinated, compared to 50% nationally.
https://www.theintelligencer.com/news/a ... 374622.php
What a difference a day makes.

She is the dean of the University hospital.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

As terrifying as it must be for adults, just imagine how terrifying and harrowing it must be for children to be all alone in the hospital with Covid; no family, all those machines, and busy masked nurses and doctors.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

No masks in schools here, and the spreadnecks one county over started sending some of the elementary kids home around noon yesterday, the first day of school, for being exposed to a positive case. They won't say how many got sent home. The braintrust over there decided to mandate masks until Aug 25.
Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

The latest horrifying news from Florida...

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I'm not familiar with this source, might have to take it with a grain of salt. I will try to find out more. Claims DeSantis has requested 300 ventilators from Biden administration. I hope if it's true that Biden will publicly acknowledge the request and say "sure, no problem at all".

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

RVInit wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:28 pm I'm not familiar with this source, might have to take it with a grain of salt. I will try to find out more. Claims DeSantis has requested 300 ventilators from Biden administration. I hope if it's true that Biden will publicly acknowledge the request and say "sure, no problem at all".

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status ... 9031629824
Florida requesting hundreds of ventilators from federal government: report

Florida is requesting hundreds of ventilators from the federal government after a surge in COVID-19 across the state, according to a Department of Health and Human Services planning document obtained by ABC News affiliate Local 10.

The request was made on Friday for 300 ventilators “to replace expended state stores,” the document said.

It was not clear how the ventilators would be allocated but they were expected to arrive in the state on Monday, according to the outlet.
https://thehill.com/homenews/the-memo/5 ... ent-report
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

RVInit wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:28 pm I'm not familiar with this source, might have to take it with a grain of salt. I will try to find out more. Claims DeSantis has requested 300 ventilators from Biden administration. I hope if it's true that Biden will publicly acknowledge the request and say "sure, no problem at all".

Hubs and I watch BTC's pod casts on YouTube. He seems sane. Not overly hyperbolic, like others I've seen.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Florida-

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:36 pm

The request was made on Friday for 300 ventilators “to replace expended state stores,” the document said.

You don't "expend" ventilators you fuckwits. You just RUN OUT because your evil, brainless monster in charge of things doesn't give a flying fuck about anything but power.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:58 am

H/T

Yep. It's really new, so it doesn't have an official Greek letter yet.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”