Happy Things

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Happy Things

Post by Foggy »

It's too bad Brooke Shields grew up, she'd be perfect as the 13 year old girl who saved her brothers. They'll probably release the movie by August. :shock:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Patagoniagirl

Happy Things

Post by Patagoniagirl »

My father's side of the family are.one step removed from the Amish. They are quite rigid and clanish. They don't like gay marriage, living together, drinking, smoking, dancing (except Square Dancing. :biggrin: ). Certainly no divorces or interracial relationships.

And though sternly frowned upon, when things like this arose in the family, they rallied around. Gay family members were talked about, but everyone showed up to raise the barn, or bale hay. (Or is that bail hay?). Divorced parents and their new spies and step-children were fussed over and bragged about.

There are out-of-wedlock children, bi-racial children, Korean pastors and and Latinos wives. This stern and staunch religious family has transformed with a basic tradition of going back to the Beautitudes and the Golden Rule.

The church I went to as a child still has never locked the doors. The basement contains food, bedding, clothes bathroom and a shower. My friend didn't believe it until on a whim we drove out there and wandered around this wonderful tribute to their beliefs.
June bug

Happy Things

Post by June bug »

That’s so nice to hear, PG. Thank you for sharing it. :bighug:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Happy Things

Post by raison de arizona »

Yes, definitely thanks for sharing Patagoniagirl, brought a smile to my face.

So does this little vid, I'm a sucker for this kind of thing.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Happy Things

Post by Foggy »

Nice.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Happy Things

Post by AndyinPA »

Very!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
chancery
Verified:

Happy Things

Post by chancery »

Wonderful story from 7/12/23 NYT:
The Glamorous Stranger Next Door Knew Everyone. And She Needed Help.

The mysterious neighbor claimed to have witnessed a nuclear detonation, marched on Selma and acted on Broadway. Would an overlooked form letter be her downfall?
Gift link: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/12/nyre ... =url-share
Lani

Happy Things

Post by Lani »

chancery wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:32 pm Wonderful story from 7/12/23 NYT:
The Glamorous Stranger Next Door Knew Everyone. And She Needed Help.

:snippity:

That's a great read! Thanks!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Happy Things

Post by raison de arizona »

Jason Blair @JasonBlairNTD wrote: A scuba diver finds a woman's $9,500 wedding ring she lost in a lake in Northern California.
@NTDNews @Calif_Today_NTD
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Happy Things

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Estiveo
Verified:

Happy Things

Post by Estiveo »

If you can watch this without at least smiling, you're an inhuman monster.

Image Image Image Image
AndyinPA
Verified:

Happy Things

Post by AndyinPA »

:lol:

I needed that. Thanks. We probably all did.
RVInit

Happy Things

Post by RVInit »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:58 pm :lol:

I needed that. Thanks. We probably all did.
:thumbsup: That was great. Made me laugh both times I watched it.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Happy Things

Post by RTH10260 »

Mother and daughter graduate college together
A mother and daughter in New York graduated from the same college on the same day.

By WSTM via CNN Newsource
Published: Dec. 15, 2023 at 3:28 AM EST

ONONDAGA, N.Y. (WSTM) - It’s pretty special for a 58-year-old grandmother to graduate college.

It’s even more remarkable when she does it on the same day as her daughter!

There were loud cheers and quiet tears for both Barbara and Tanisha Wiggins as the two stood up to walk across the graduation stage Wednesday at Onondaga Community College.

It was one of the proudest moments for Barbara Wiggins, the 58-year-old mother and grandmother who was once afraid of how things would be on a college campus at her age.

“It took me a long time to get here,” Barbara Wiggins said. “As you know, I’m 58 years old. I started a family. I had a family. Then I was watching my grandchildren and I just decided to go back to school, and it’s been a great journey.”

Although this mother and daughter graduated with degrees in human services, Tanisha Wiggins’ sister and Barbara Wiggins’ other daughter, Alisha, is also an Onondaga Community College grad of 2020.

And of course, she also graduated with a degree in human services.

“Yeah, it is in the bloodline. We love helping people,” Tanisha Wiggins said. “We’re here for everyone and we just love doing what we love doing.”

It was not a traditional journey.

https://www.wbtv.com/2023/12/15/mother- ... -together/
sugar magnolia

Happy Things

Post by sugar magnolia »

My happy thing yesterday was a complete surprise. I've been in treatment for lymphedema for months trying to get the affected arm the same size as the other one.. It's a result of the double mastectomy and it is a life-long condition. It was diagnosed relatively late after it began so it's been a struggle. It also involves a 2 inch thick bandage from shoulder to finger tips 24 hours a day. That makes it very awkward to do almost anything, but I can't go into the sleeve and glove until the arm goes down. Yesterday at my appointment, my PT was the only one who was there so she was running things. After she took all the measurements, she asked if I would like to try the pump. Hell yes! She took off into the bowels of the office and came back with the machine, which looks like a torture device but sunbeams and angel wings were radiating from it. It is a $5000 machine, but she just GAVE it to me. Of course, it was donated by some dead guy's family, but I said a little heartfelt thanks to whoever it was amd put it on. She didn't have to do that, but she did. She's also been treating me at no charge for over a month now because my insurance stopped covering the treatments when I hit 20 for the year. She also told me that if the hospital charged me anyway, she would just write it off so I didn't owe anything. I felt like crap yesterday and was so discouraged about the arm I was ready to give up. Her generosity and the nice things she said about me perked me up more than I thought possible.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Happy Things

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Estiveo
Verified:

Happy Things

Post by Estiveo »

That is a happy thing! :bighug:
Image Image Image Image
Uninformed

Happy Things

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
June bug

Happy Things

Post by June bug »

Estiveo wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:00 pm That is a happy thing! :bighug:
AND if anyone deserves a happy thing, it’s you Sugar! :thumbsup: :bighug: :thumbsup:
jemcanada2

Happy Things

Post by jemcanada2 »

June bug wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:22 pm
Estiveo wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:00 pm That is a happy thing! :bighug:
AND if anyone deserves a happy thing, it’s you Sugar! :thumbsup: :bighug: :thumbsup:
That’s wonderful, Sugar!!! :lovestruck: :lovestruck:

I have lymphedema in my left leg from the radiation for my cervical cancer. Luckily, I’ve been able to manage it pretty well with working split shifts, a circ booster, and elevating my legs often.

Good luck with the machine! I hope it brings you relief.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Happy Things

Post by AndyinPA »

VERY happy thing! :bighug:
Volkonski
Verified:

Happy Things

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Happy Things

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
Sam the Centipede

Happy Things

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Sugar, lovely to hear your good news. :thumbsup: Too often we have had bad news from you, poor thing! :bighug: What is the device please? It's not applicable to me personally but I'm curious because a friend of mine also had a double mastectomy some years ago and has lymphedema annoyance especially in the arm where a large number of lymph nodes were removed. She often wears a compression garment of some sort, but I wonder if these machines offer extra relief?
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Happy Things

Post by bill_g »

I'm happy for you Sugar. That is wonderful.

Return to “General Stuff”