Today In History

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Today In History

Post by RTH10260 »

60 years ago - January 29, 1964 - Film Dr Strangelove released
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (known simply and more commonly as Dr. Strangelove) is a 1964 political satire black comedy film directed, co-written, and produced by Stanley Kubrick and starring Peter Sellers in three roles, including the title character.

The film, which satirizes the Cold War fears of a nuclear conflict between the Soviet Union and the United States, also stars George C. Scott, Sterling Hayden, Keenan Wynn, Slim Pickens, and Tracy Reed, and is loosely based on the thriller novel Red Alert (1958) by Peter George, who also co-wrote the screenplay with Kubrick and Terry Southern.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Strangelove
qbawl

Today In History

Post by qbawl »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:39 pm 60 years ago - January 29, 1964 - Film Dr Strangelove released
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (known simply and more commonly as Dr. Strangelove) is a 1964 political satire black comedy film directed, co-written, and produced by Stanley Kubrick and starring Peter Sellers in three roles, including the title character.

The film, which satirizes the Cold War fears of a nuclear conflict between the Soviet Union and the United States, also stars George C. Scott, Sterling Hayden, Keenan Wynn, Slim Pickens, and Tracy Reed, and is loosely based on the thriller novel Red Alert (1958) by Peter George, who also co-wrote the screenplay with Kubrick and Terry Southern.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Strangelove
My favorite movie of all time. It and "Slapshot" are the only movies I've watched more than twice. About time to revisit both.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Today In History

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:clap:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Today In History

Post by Volkonski »

On This Day In History
@onthisday@mastodon.social
Today in 1945, 79 years ago: World War II: The Wilhelm Gustloff, overfilled with German refugees, sinks in the Baltic Sea after being torpedoed by a Soviet submarine, killing approximately 9,500 people.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Today In History

Post by keith »

qbawl wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:45 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:39 pm 60 years ago - January 29, 1964 - Film Dr Strangelove released
My favorite movie of all time. It and "Slapshot" are the only movies I've watched more than twice. About time to revisit both.
When I first read that I thought you meant "Happy Gilmore" and while I would never question anyone's taste in movies, I was gonna question your sanity in watching ANY Adam Sandler movie more than once.

Since I lucked out and fact checked myself before making myself into a complete boob, I'll just say a short multiple viewing list like yours is completely impeached (to use a lawyerly term) by its lack of "The Big Lebowski" in its contents.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
qbawl

Today In History

Post by qbawl »

keith wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:26 pm
qbawl wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:45 pm
When I first read that I thought you meant "Happy Gilmore" and while I would never question anyone's taste in movies, I was gonna question your sanity in watching ANY Adam Sandler movie more than once.

Since I lucked out and fact checked myself before making myself into a complete boob, I'll just say a short multiple viewing list like yours is completely impeached (to use a lawyerly term) by its lack of "The Big Lebowski" in its contents.
Incredibly I've never seen "The Big L" even once. I guess I don't get out much. I will have to watch that soon.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Today In History

Post by Frater I*I »

qbawl wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:08 pm :snippity:
Incredibly I've never seen "The Big L" even once. I guess I don't get out much. I will have to watch that soon.
Stop what you are doing, and go watch it now....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
qbawl

Today In History

Post by qbawl »

Frater I*I wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:34 pm
qbawl wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:08 pm :snippity:
Stop what you are doing, and go watch it now....
:yeahthat: :popcorn:
keith

Today In History

Post by keith »

Fellow ordinates in the CLDD may (or may not) recognize the significance of my avatar.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Today In History

I have seen the Big Lebowski. I proclaim it a “guy” flick. I thought it was good, but not in my top 20. (“Shut up, Danny!”) Hubby waxes poetic about it.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Suranis

Today In History

Post by Suranis »

I think I saw it once and I thought it was ok, but didn't see what the fuss was about.
Hic sunt dracones
Frater I*I

Today In History

Post by Frater I*I »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:45 am I have seen the Big Lebowski. I proclaim it a “guy” flick. I thought it was good, but not in my top 20. (“Shut up, Danny!”) Hubby waxes poetic about it.
Donny...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Frater I*I

Today In History

Post by Frater I*I »

keith wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:12 am Fellow ordinates in the CLDD may (or may not) recognize the significance of my avatar.
Shall I call you El Dudearino since I'm not into the brevity thing...

Trent Reznor
Tiredretiredlawyer

Today In History

Frater I*I wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:32 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:45 am I have seen the Big Lebowski. I proclaim it a “guy” flick. I thought it was good, but not in my top 20. (“Shut up, Danny!”) Hubby waxes poetic about it.
Donny...
Thank you, grandson. Hubby couldn’t remember either.
Kendra

Today In History

Post by Kendra »

76 years ago on this day, Dick Button made history as the first American figure skater to win an Olympic gold medal.

Wow, I was too young to have watched his skating, but I did love commentary from Button and Peggy Fleming.
keith

Today In History

Post by keith »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:38 pm
Frater I*I wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:32 pm
Donny...
Thank you, grandson. Hubby couldn’t remember either.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Today In History

:bighug:
Frater I*I

Today In History

Post by Frater I*I »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:09 am :bighug:

Trent Reznor
Suranis

Today In History

Post by Suranis »

The Society of John De Graeme

THE DEATH OF COMYN

On this Day in 1306 John Comyn III Lord of Badenoch is stabbed to death a Grayfriars in dumfries near the borders

The full details of this event have been the subject of much debate for Centuries

Some accounts state that Robert De Bruce Earl of Carrick lured John Comyn to the kirk under false pretences ensuing Comyn was placed in a false sense of security standing within a church where upon Robert the Bruce and his men set about stabbing him to death (Others state it was just Bruce)

Other accounts state Bruce and Comyn arranged to meet at the kirk to discuss Scotland future and how best to protect the realm the two having said to have previously signed a pact, whereby one would take the crown in return for the lands of the other. As they stood before the high altar, Bruce accused Comyn of having betrayed him to the English and struck Comyn with a dagger. Bruce shaken by his act stumbled from the kirk proclaiming to his mean " I think i have Killed the Comyn?!"

To which Sir Roger de Kirkpatrick uttered "You doubt! I mak siccar!" ("I'll make sure!")

It is not known if Kilpatrick meant he would see of Comyn was infact dead or if he meant he would ensure he was dead. Either way Bruce took full responsibility for Comyns death

What story is true we leave for you to decide

What does the Society think?

Comyn was not trusted By Sir William Wallace, with the warrior refusing to be involved in the Battle of Rosyln in 1303. We put this down to a belief that Comyn betrayed Wallace to Edward I at the Battle of Falkirk 1298, when Comyn simply retired the Cavalry without even drawing their blade while the scots were being butchered

As such it sets a precedent of betrayal in our mind Comyn betrayed Scotland and Bruce.. Either in a fit of rage or in a panic Bruce pulled out his dagger and stabbed him

Either way Comyn was stabbed to death at the high alter of a church... And Bruce taking full responsibility set forth for Glasgow Where Bishop Robert Wishart resided

Thirteen days after the event, a garbled version of the facts reached the court of Edward I at Winchester, where the murder was reported as "the work of some people who are doing their utmost to trouble the peace and quiet of the realm of Scotland." Once the picture became clear, Edward reacted in fury, authorising Aymer de Valence, Comyn's brother-in-law, to take extraordinary action against Bruce and his adherents by refusing quarter to them. King Edward also emphasised his blood relationship with the Comyns by ordering his cousin, Joan, to send John's young son and namesake to England, where he was placed in the care of Sir John Weston, guardian of the royal children. John IV Comyn grew to manhood in England, not returning to Scotland till around 1314 when he was killed at the Battle of Bannockburn

This Scene was Depicted in Both Outlaw King and Robert the Bruce in both films Comyn is depicted as having Betrayed Bruce and Scotland to Edward...
Hic sunt dracones
Tiredretiredlawyer

Today In History

Fascinating stuff!
RTH10260

Today In History

Post by RTH10260 »

150 years ago - 1784 - the paiting epoche of Impressionism establishes itself
Impressionism

Impression, Sunrise, an 1872 Claude Monet oil on canvas painting now housed at Musée Marmottan Monet in Paris. This painting became the source of the movement's name after Louis Leroy's 1874 article, "The Exhibition of the Impressionists", satirically implied that the painting was, at most, a sketch.

Impressionism was a 19th-century art movement characterized by relatively small, thin, yet visible brush strokes, open composition, emphasis on accurate depiction of light in its changing qualities (often accentuating the effects of the passage of time), ordinary subject matter, unusual visual angles, and inclusion of movement as a crucial element of human perception and experience. Impressionism originated with a group of Paris-based artists whose independent exhibitions brought them to prominence during the 1870s and 1880s.

The Impressionists faced harsh opposition from the conventional art community in France. The name of the style derives from the title of a Claude Monet work, Impression, soleil levant (Impression, Sunrise), which provoked the critic Louis Leroy to coin the term in a satirical 1874 review of the First Impressionist Exhibition published in the Parisian newspaper Le Charivari. The development of Impressionism in the visual arts was soon followed by analogous styles in other media that became known as Impressionist music and Impressionist literature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impressionism
RTH10260

Today In History

Post by RTH10260 »

100 years ago - January 1924 - Rhapsody in Blue musical composition written by George Gershwin
Rhapsody in Blue is a 1924 musical composition written by George Gershwin for solo piano and jazz band, which combines elements of classical music with jazz-influenced effects. Commissioned by bandleader Paul Whiteman, the work premiered in a concert titled "An Experiment in Modern Music" on February 12, 1924, in Aeolian Hall, New York City.[2][3] Whiteman's band performed the rhapsody with Gershwin playing the piano.[4] Whiteman's arranger Ferde Grofé orchestrated the rhapsody several times including the 1924 original scoring, the 1926 pit orchestra scoring, and the 1942 symphonic scoring.

The rhapsody is one of Gershwin's most recognizable creations and a key composition that defined the Jazz Age.[5][6][7] Gershwin's piece inaugurated a new era in America's musical history,[8] established his reputation as an eminent composer and became one of the most popular of all concert works.[9] In the American Heritage magazine, Frederic D. Schwarz posits that the famous opening clarinet glissando has become as instantly recognizable to concert audiences as the opening of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony.[10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhapsody_in_Blue
Tiredretiredlawyer

Today In History

Love this! The film biography of Gershwin inspired me to play the piano!

Interesting Rhapsody fact: Gershwin had not composed all of the piano solos by the time of the concert. In the conductor’s music he basically wrote (piano solo here) then signaled the conductor when it was time for the orchestra to resume playing. The arranger had a recording of the concert and used that for future arrangements including the solo.
Suranis

Today In History

Post by Suranis »

Pluto discovered by Clyde Tombaugh
Using a 13-inch (33-cm) telescope at the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, Arizona, Clyde W. Tombaugh, a 24-year-old American with no formal training in astronomy, discovered the dwarf planet Pluto in Feb 18th 1930.

Also, in 2010, The Web site WikiLeaks began posting classified U.S. government documents provided by army intelligence analyst Bradley Manning; it was believed to be the largest unauthorized release of state secrets in U.S. history

In 1861 Jefferson Davis was inaugurated as provisional president of the Confederate States of America.
Hic sunt dracones
keith

Today In History

Post by keith »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:08 am Love this! The film biography of Gershwin inspired me to play the piano!

Interesting Rhapsody fact: Gershwin had not composed all of the piano solos by the time of the concert. In the conductor’s music he basically wrote (piano solo here) then signaled the conductor when it was time for the orchestra to resume playing. The arranger had a recording of the concert and used that for future arrangements including the solo.
That arranger was Ferde Grofe. He is, IMHO, much too important to be refered to as "the arranger".

His arrangement of "Rhapsody In Blue" and his writing "Grand Canyon Suite" are two of my favorite pieces of music. He was seminal in the 'tone poem' movement.

Return to “General Stuff”