AGOTX - Warren Kenneth “Ken” Paxton Junior

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
shannon
Verified:

Post by shannon »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:15 pm I’m glad Washington has a go fuck yerself Shield Law. Terrifying that Paxton is trying to chase Texans, wherever they flee to.
Or that, having lived in Texas, you are forever bound by Texas state law.
Mad Geoscientist GRADUATE STUDENT in Training
much ado

Post by much ado »

Someone needs to start a meme: "Residents of Texas are more properly called 'Inmates of Texas'"
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Change approved!
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
much ado

Post by much ado »

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:29 pm
much ado wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:28 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:15 pm I’m glad Washington has a go fuck yerself Shield Law. Terrifying that Paxton is trying to chase Texans, wherever they flee to.
It would be interesting to know if any states have been forced to comply.

Any way to find out?
I think TX is the only one stupid enough to think it would apply.
I meant has any healthcare facility in some other state, not Texas, actually complied with a demand from the Texas Office of Attorney General for the records that the Texas OAG demanded from the hospital in Seattle? Has the Texas OAG ever succeeded in getting records from facilities outside of Texas?

Is it possible to find out?
much ado

Post by much ado »

The concept that a state can pass laws that apply to anyone who has resided in that state raises some interesting possibilities.

This means that a state, Washington for instance, could pass a law that states that any woman who has resided in Washington is covered by the laws of the State of Washington regarding abortion, no matter where she currently is, even if she is in Texas.

Texas claims its laws apply to residents who are now in Washington. Why can't Washington impose its liberal laws on conservative states, like Texas?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

much ado wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:41 pm Someone needs to start a meme: "Residents of Texas are more properly called 'Inmates of Texas'"
Property of Texas
101010 :towel:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

This brought to mind states and their taxes. If you own income producing property, a rental house for example, in one state, you will owe income taxes to that state even if you don’t reside there. I’ve been out of the tax biz for decades, but I remember the issue being brought up that states would like to tax you on your 401(k) and IRA distributions even after you’re retired and moved far away under the concept that the money was earned while you were a resident of that state.

/meandering thoughts
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

My daughter, who hasn't lived in the US for at least a decade, has to pay both fed and state income tax.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Texas Companies Say Republicans Are Ruining Their Business

Dec 16, 2023 at 9:13 AM EST
By Aliss Higham

A coalition of Texas businesses have said ambiguity over abortion bans in the Lone Star State is making recruitment harder, following the near all-out ban enacted by Republicans.

An amicus brief originally filed by law firm Reed Smith and signed by 40 Texas companies was filed in support of 22 women who are suing the state of Texas over its abortion laws. Numerous businesses have endorsed the letter. These include dating platforms such as Bumble and Match Group (owner of Match.com and Tinder); prominent advertising agencies Preacher and GSD&M; event organizers SXSW; and the United States Women's Chamber of Commerce, along with various Texas real-estate companies, law firms, and restaurant groups.

The companies say that Texas abortion laws render the state less appealing for families considering relocating to a place where they can comfortably start a family. The Texas Legislature, dominated by Republican representatives, passed a trigger law on abortion in 2021. It is currently illegal to have an abortion after a fetus has a heartbeat, which typically occurs around six weeks, often before the woman knows she is pregnant, unless there is a significant threat to the mother's life. The overturning of Roe vs. Wade by the Supreme Court in 2022 gave states the power to limit abortion access.

https://www.newsweek.com/texas-companie ... le-1853051
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:30 pm This brought to mind states and their taxes. If you own income producing property, a rental house for example, in one state, you will owe income taxes to that state even if you don’t reside there. I’ve been out of the tax biz for decades, but I remember the issue being brought up that states would like to tax you on your 401(k) and IRA distributions even after you’re retired and moved far away under the concept that the money was earned while you were a resident of that state.

/meandering thoughts
Last year, I got to pay capital gains taxes in Kansas. I've never lived there (though one-half of my family was from there originally).
101010 :towel:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

CNN has picked up on the Paxton/Seattle Childrens Hospital story.

I couldn't find anything on Seattle Times about this, I did write to them to see if they'd dig in further from local perspective. I'll let you know if anything comes of it.
shannon
Verified:

Post by shannon »

Kendra wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:53 pm CNN has picked up on the Paxton/Seattle Childrens Hospital story.

I couldn't find anything on Seattle Times about this, I did write to them to see if they'd dig in further from local perspective. I'll let you know if anything comes of it.
Seattle Times

Seattle Children’s sues Texas AG over request for gender care records
"A spokesperson for state Attorney General Bob Ferguson’s office, which supported passage of the state’s shield law and has been vocal about protecting access to both reproductive health and gender-affirming care, did not comment on the lawsuit except to say their office was aware of it and was “closely monitoring.”

The hospital, which does not provide any gender-affirming care in Texas nor does it advertise gender-affirming services there, asked the court to “set aside” the patient data request — or modify the request and grant the hospital an extension to comply."
Mad Geoscientist GRADUATE STUDENT in Training
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Thanks shannon. I tried to search the Times' website for it, but no luck for this :oldlady:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Paxton got swatted.
Attorney General Ken Paxton @KenPaxtonTX wrote: On New Year’s Day, a currently unidentified caller made a false report to 911 describing a life-threatening situation at our home in McKinney. As a result, the City of McKinney Police and Fire Departments quickly and bravely responded to what they believed could be a dangerous environment. We were not home at the time and were made aware of the false report when a state trooper, who was contacted by McKinney police, informed us of the incident.

Making false reports to 911 is a crime which should be vigorously prosecuted when this criminal is identified. These fake calls divert resources from actual emergencies and crimes and could endanger our first responders. We are grateful for the bravery and professionalism of the men and women serving in the McKinney police and fire departments.

It is also important to acknowledge that this “swatting” incident happened weeks after the disgraced Speaker of the House Dade Phelan, his lieutenants, and the Dallas Morning News doxed our family by publicly posting our address. We understand some people may not agree with our strong conservative efforts to secure the border, prevent election fraud, and protect our constitutional liberties, but compromising the effectiveness and safety of law enforcement is completely unacceptable.
@AngelaPaxtonTX #txlege
https://x.com/KenPaxtonTX/status/174248 ... 96688?s=20
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

But an AG carrying on an illicit affair behind his wife's back, no risks there, amirite?

ImageImageImage x4
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:38 pm But an AG carrying on an illicit affair behind his wife's back, no risks there, amirite?
I admit I would so love for this to be more of a Fatal Attraction consequence. Does that make me a bad person?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona

Good.
https://x.com/SupremeCourt_TX/status/17 ... 77265?s=20
Supreme Court of TX @SupremeCourt_TX wrote: This afternoon, the Supreme Court of Texas denied an OAG emergency motion to prevent the deposition of Attorney General Ken Paxton and other high-level executives in a lawsuit that alleges Paxton violated the Texas Whistleblower Act. https://txcourts.gov/supreme/orders-opi ... y-12-2024/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Very good.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Blind squirrel…nut. Still, kudos.

ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona

The latest DOJ lawsuit is scheduled to kick off today if TX doesn't allow access.
► Show Spoiler
raison de arizona

Paxton responds.
► Show Spoiler
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Wow. Paxton is going full sovereign citizen.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

neeneko wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:20 pm Wow. Paxton is going full sovereign citizen.
He's got a lot of citations. Are any valid?
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:42 pm He's got a lot of citations. Are any valid?
Even if they are, they seem to hinge on the same logic as the Biden impeachment stuff, that his 'open borders' is treason that invalidates federal authority.
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

Return to “Current Politics”