Appliances 

MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Appliances 

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

My stove has died and I need a new one. The deceased one was a "duel fuel, down draft drop in" with an electric oven and gas cooktop. I have to have gas cooktops so we're going to have to just look at just gas stoves because the combo is hard to even find and way more expensive so we're just going to go with gas. Plus we live in BFE Virginia and loose power fairly frequently and the gas cooktop has melted many pots of snow for water to flush the toilets over the many years. I also have 5 gallon Coleman coolers I always keep full cuz bailing it out of the pool or the pond (depending on weather) is non-drinkable and a pain in the ass.

Any good recommendation?
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Appliances 

Post by bill_g »

No recs from me. I'm still lovin the electric seven burner glass top we bought. However! Your comment about gas stoves and power outages in BFE brought up memories of Mrs being all Prairie Woman with our gas camp stove. Our utilities are buried service now. It was only a couple decades ago electric and phone were aerial service. Weather, trees, and drunks could take out the power at any time throughout the year. And if it was bad enough, the outage could last for days.

Mrs knew better than to run the camp stove in the house because of the exhaust fumes. She set up on the back porch on a counter I built out there. A lantern, pot of coffee and dinner were ready when I got home. She was super proud of herself. We accumulated candles and oil lamps through the years for these occasions. Power outages are pretty rare these days. I've been running the supply of white gas she bought through the lawn mower a bit at a time. That stuff has to be 10-15 years old now.

I would head down to the gas company to see what products they offer. NW Natural is the provider in these parts, and they have several retail outlets to choose stoves and HVAC from. They have lists of stores and contractors too.
tek

Appliances 

Post by tek »

From personal experience, I would avoid any stove with a Samsung nameplate.
Ms.tek had Frigidaire gas stoves in some condos she owned, and was happy with them.
We have an Amana stove here at the Undisclosed Secure Location, it is meh but functional.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Appliances 

Post by Maybenaut »

No recommendations specifically, but since you do canning you need to stick with gas (unless you want to go back to old-fashioned electric coil burners). The glass cooktops can’t take the weight of a pressure canner and will warp.
► Show Spoiler
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Appliances 

Post by zekeb »

MsDaisy 2 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 11:04 am My stove has died and I need a new one. The deceased one was a "duel fuel, down draft drop in" with an electric oven and gas cooktop. I have to have gas cooktops so we're going to have to just look at just gas stoves because the combo is hard to even find and way more expensive so we're just going to go with gas. Plus we live in BFE Virginia and loose power fairly frequently and the gas cooktop has melted many pots of snow for water to flush the toilets over the many years. I also have 5 gallon Coleman coolers I always keep full cuz bailing it out of the pool or the pond (depending on weather) is non-drinkable and a pain in the ass.

Any good recommendation?
Do you want one with bells and whistles? I have a GE dual oven gas range. Stay away from the dual oven. That was a mistake. My range has "convection cooking", but it doesn't do it well. Electric ovens are better for that. I've had to replace two oven fans on my range. Fans are inexpensive. The labor to replace the fan is not inexpensive. My advice is either get a low-end gas range or go back to dual fuel. If you do a lot of baking you can't beat an electric oven.
Largo al factotum.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”