Protests at Universities across the fruited plain

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Really hate to see these arrests of faculty.
Patrick Quinn @PatrickQuinnTV wrote: WATCH: Among those arrested today were Noelle McAfee, Chair of the Philosophy Department at Emory University.

I’ve asked for a comment from Emory on this arrest, no word yet.

This video provided to us by an #Emory PHD student. You can hear him in this video.
@ATLNewsFirst
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Ryan Chandler @RyanChandlerTV wrote: US Congressman @GregCasar joins the protest, calls for ceasefire

“My message to the university is clear: students and faculty are not the enemy. Students and faculty are the university.”
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

What do they want? Divestment from Israel.
https://x.com/RyanChandlerTV/status/1783568711976206438
Ryan Chandler @RyanChandlerTV wrote: The organizers of this protest, Palestinian Solidarity Committee, reads a list of “campus demands,” including financial divestment from Israeli interests and resignation of UT President Jay Hartzell

“Hartzell out” chant rings not far from his office in the tower
raison de arizona

JFC don't touch random blood with your bare hands.
Tori Bedford @Tori_Bedford wrote: an Emerson College student sent me this video of city crews cleaning blood from the alleyway where 108 students were arrested last night during an encampment sweep. I'm at Boston municipal court today where eight of those arrested have been given summons for arraignments in May.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

NEVER FORGET THE KENT STATE MASSACRE
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

NEVER FORGET THE KENT STATE MASSACRE
castigat ridendo mores.
raison de arizona

We learn nothing.
Flatpoint High
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:27 pm We learn nothing.
sadly true, and the authoritarians want another massacre. They LOVED seeing student protestors mowed down by militaries around the World back in the day.
and they creamed their jeans when Kent State went down
castigat ridendo mores.
raison de arizona

This sort of attitude is not helpful.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

I've been really confused by all of this. I admit I have never followed the Middle East political world because it's just so complicated.

But my view is that these students are overwhelmingly non-violent and are asking their schools to divest from investments in companies arming/helping Israel because of what they see as genocide.

Has it long been a thing that protesting a county/its leaders (Israel/Netenyahu/IDF) is the same as antisemitism? I mean, Israel is home to folks of other religions than Jewish. And a country's leader =/= its people (see: USA 2016-2020).

So is it that Abbott and all these other folks clamping down on campus protests are calling it "pro Palestine" so that they can say students/protesters are antisemitic? I mean, it's gross, but saying "I hate Jews" is 1A speech, right? But these people aren't even saying that, afaik. They just want investments out of Israel and to stop genocide.

What am I missing?
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Life in the autocracy.

The people in power don't give a shit about anything but violence and fear to control the masses. Truth or Constitution not a consideration.
raison de arizona

You can hear the officer tasing a prone, handcuffed, clearly in control student. Is this what we want for our children?
Alec Karakatsanis @equalityAlec wrote: One of the primary functions of police is to violently crush progressive social movements. It's one of the reasons expanding the size and power of police is always authoritarian and is never an answer to inequality. *It is a key part of preserving inequality, in all its forms.*
Bentley Hudgins @bentleyforus wrote: The outright police brutalization and assault on Emory students exercising their constitutional right to free speech is a disgusting display of fascism. These young leaders, many who are LGBTQ+, deserve the right to assemble and protest in peace without fear of state violence.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Not really new. Remember Kent in May 1970? It was Ohio National Guard, but the same idea. And it doesn't stand alone.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Remember the Occupy movement? Even more recent.

I will never forget the video of police slowlly walking along a line of peaceful protesters sitting perfectly still on a low stone wall--and casually spraying pepper spray in their faces.

I think that's when I knew for sure that the ideals I had been brainwashed with as a kid were bunk. Or, maybe not the ideals themselves, but the idea that they were followed by LE and gov't.
raison de arizona

Ximena Conde @XimenaReports wrote: Pro-Palestine protests coming from Temple and Drexel campuses are now at Penn
raison de arizona

This is the kind of free speech that IS allowed on college campuses.
chad wellmon @cwellmon wrote: Cops didn’t do a thing as these folks marched through my backyard yelling “Jews will not replace us” on UVA’s campus a few years ago. Free speech they said.
More from a protest on a college campus that was totally kosher.
Biden-Harris HQ @BidenHQ wrote: “A little peanut… It was nothing”
Biden-Harris HQ @BidenHQ wrote: Trump says neo-Nazis and KKK members marching in Charlottesville chanting “Jews will not replace us” was “a little peanut”: “It was nothing”
raison de arizona

More anti-semitic content from GWU.
#StopCopCity @ChuckModi1 wrote: “I am a Holocaust survivor. I experienced as a child every single thing a Gazan child is experiencing on a daily basis. There’s no excuse 4 the slaughter of 15K children. I am proud to be here with you.”

Amazing Jewish solidarity at encampment at GWU #FreePalestine #Occupy4Gaza
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Rolodex wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:46 pm I've been really confused by all of this. I admit I have never followed the Middle East political world because it's just so complicated.

But my view is that these students are overwhelmingly non-violent and are asking their schools to divest from investments in companies arming/helping Israel because of what they see as genocide.

Has it long been a thing that protesting a county/its leaders (Israel/Netenyahu/IDF) is the same as antisemitism? I mean, Israel is home to folks of other religions than Jewish. And a country's leader =/= its people (see: USA 2016-2020).

So is it that Abbott and all these other folks clamping down on campus protests are calling it "pro Palestine" so that they can say students/protesters are antisemitic? I mean, it's gross, but saying "I hate Jews" is 1A speech, right? But these people aren't even saying that, afaik. They just want investments out of Israel and to stop genocide.

What am I missing?
When you can't address Israeli government treatment of Palestinians with a straight face the only thing you have is to scream antisemitism. IMO that is what we see very often when the subject of Israel's actions against Palestinians comes up. They try to claim that people who are concerned about Israel mowing down tens of thousands of Palestinian civilians must be "pro Hamas", which I am quite certain most of us are NOT pro Hamas or antisemitic. It's just like saying if you think Black Lives Matter than means that you believe white lives do not matter. Just BS to confuse and complicate and maintain the status quo.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
raison de arizona

I liked what a student interviewed at a protest said the other day:
I AM:
  • pro-Palestine
  • pro-Israel
  • anti-Hamas
  • anti-Netanyahu
That about sums it up.
raison de arizona

Ash J @AshAgony wrote: Students at City College in Harlem, NYC have their own Gaza Solidarity Encampment. CUNY cops just tried to enter the encampment but were repelled by students. Once cops scurried away defeated, students & other protesters protested “I believe that we will win!”
raison de arizona

Well this is a bad look for midwestern universities.
Olivia Katbi 🌹 @oliviakatbi wrote: I saw that snipers are on the roof of the student union at Ohio State right now as well. It’s incredible how terrified these universities are of their own students
IU on Strike @IUonStrike wrote: Sniper on the roof of the IMU.
Absolutely unhinged response to a nonviolent encampment by a murderous and paranoid police state.
Ohio- don't see rifles at least.
Liz Andromeda 🏳️‍⚧️🇵🇸🏴♿ @Liz_Andromeda wrote: snipers on the roof of Ohio Union at Ohio State
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Any cop/national guard member/etc., in Ohio should be really wary of this. May 4 is the 54th anniversary of the massacre at Kent State.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:39 pm This sort of attitude is not helpful.
What happened to 'Universities shall not limit free speech'?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona

Ben-Prime wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:19 pm What happened to 'Universities shall not limit free speech'?
Nazis exercise free speech. Students? Not so much.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

USC cancels graduation ceremony and dozens are arrested on other campuses as anti-war protests grow

https://apnews.com/article/israel-pales ... bcc8a56b8b
The University of Southern California canceled its main graduation ceremony Thursday and dozens more college students were arrested at other campuses nationwide as protests against the Israel-Hamas war continued to spread.

College officials across the U.S. are worried the ongoing protests could disrupt plans for commencement ceremonies next month. Some universities called in police to break up the demonstrations, resulting in ugly scuffles and arrests nationwide, while others appeared content to wait out student protests as the final days of the semester ticked down.

Schools such as Columbia University continued to negotiate with protesters, while others are rewriting their rules to ban encampments and moving final exams to new locations.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “Current Politics”