Protests at Universities across the fruited plain

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Here we go again at UT Austin.
Escalate Network @readytoescalate wrote: BREAKING: UT Austin students and community members have retaken the South Lawn, seized police barriers, and are re-establishing a camp.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Rolodex wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:59 pm What is it that the students are doing that is illegal; that's getting them arrested? Is it against the law to set up the tents? To gather on campus somewhere? Are some protests getting violent (on their own without/before cops show up)? Besides obvious authoritarian violence-loving politicians (Abbott) who are gleeful about a show of force.
Been wondering the same thing, although it seems there are some bad actors trying to stir things up.

If you look at twitter, the randomwordstringonumbers accounts and other non people are saying, "Stop breaking the law. Throw the key away. Make sure they never get jobs." etc., followed by actual people asking, "What law(s) did they break?" followed by...nada. I guess not cooperating with getting arrested for not breaking any laws should be a life sentence with no parole and no hope of employment.

Of course, when it came to people who brutalized Capitol and Metro police, threatened the VP with hanging, etc.--PEACEFUL PROTESTERS/POLITICAL PRISONERS.
andersweinstein

Post by andersweinstein »

Rolodex wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:59 pm What is it that the students are doing that is illegal; that's getting them arrested? Is it against the law to set up the tents? To gather on campus somewhere? Are some protests getting violent (on their own without/before cops show up)? Besides obvious authoritarian violence-loving politicians (Abbott) who are gleeful about a show of force.
Colleges are allowed to impose reasonable rules on the time, place, and manner of student protests on campus, without violating free speech rights of students, though they should be applied in a content-neutral way so as not to selectively favor one or another political position. Probably most colleges will not permit tent cities to be erected on campus and occupied indefinitely for various reasons -- noise, disruption, campus safety, health risks, interference with commencement ceremonies in some places, whatever. Students who camp on campus spaces when it is not permitted by the college are, I believe, considered to be trespassing.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

While being armed and carrying tiki torches is protected speech.
Dave from down under

andersweinstein wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:40 am :snippity:

If you watch the video, you'll notice she never says that.
So..
Did you go back and watch the video?
Ready to admit she was lying?
Or will you continue to?
andersweinstein

Dave from down under wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:37 pm
andersweinstein wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:40 am :snippity:

If you watch the video, you'll notice she never says that.
So..
Did you go back and watch the video?
Ready to admit she was lying?
Or will you continue to?
My main idea is that the issue was likely being prevented from entering the area, not prevented from leaving. I was correct when I pointed out she never says she can't leave. I think it's just irrelevant whether she's free to leave.

I also think we don't see the behavior that started this, which made her feel threatened. From what we do see and from similar tactics in other encampments, I think it would be multiple people coming up to array themselves to block her way. If they form a half circle to block her angles in that could make her feel as if they are surrounding her, again, even if they are leaving her one free direction (retreat).

I acknowledge her description is overly dramatic. I don't know if she is deliberately lying or just has an anxious personality.

This is a small matter and really not a hill I want to die on. I expect she has issues as well, as I said, and may be deliberately trying for a confrontation. It's just that a general matter, I recommend being skeptical of viral videos since they don't give the full context, captions can be misleading or false, and in any case they may not be representative of any larger trend beyond one person doing something stupid somewhere. But when something comes up that slots neatly into one's preconceptions, I always want to ask "what could be going on here? What context are we missing?" rather than just swallow it. I don't believe in argument by decontextualized viral video.

But yes, I admit she's not a great example for me. She could just be a total wack job.
Dave from down under

Gaslighting
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Dave from down under wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:35 am Gaslighting
Her acting is as bad as Rittenhouse's.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I support the protesters 100% and I am thrilled that there are protests happening at both my alma maters, Georgetown and USC.
She was drinking some dreadful vegetable smoothie
concoction that looked like minced caterpillars.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Dave from down under

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:06 am
Her acting is as bad as Rittenhouse's.
Perhaps it was Kyle in drag?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:16 am I support the protesters 100% and I am thrilled that there are protests happening at both my alma maters, Georgetown and USC.
:thumbsup:
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
raison de arizona

Columbia protestors up the ante overnight, taking over a building.
Prem Thakker @prem_thakker wrote: Taking over Hamilton Hall as done in 1968, Columbia students unfurl a banner that reads "Hind's Hall," in reference to Hind Rajab, a six-year-old girl killed by Israeli forces.
Hundreds of students cheer as the banner is revealed, erupting into chants to "Free Palestine."
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

^_−☆ @shamsinluv wrote: VA police really tear gassing VCU students at night this is sick the protest was completely peaceful
Zach Joachim @ZachJoachim wrote: Police deploy chemical agents in clash with VCU student-protesters tonight on campus outside Cabell Library
@RTDNEWS
raison de arizona

Tulane deployed mounted officers against protestors.
Andrew Leber @AndrewMLeber wrote: I unequivocally condemn @Tulane deploying mounted police against peaceful protestors.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Interesting program today on 1A about the campus protests.

https://the1a.org/segments/parsing-the- ... e-country/
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
raison de arizona

Columbia threatens students occupying Hamilton Hall with expulsion.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Still way too many words from a bunch of bigwigs who should know how to communicate effectively.
andersweinstein

I'm a member of Talking Points Memo because I always find Josh Marshall worth reading. Here's a gift link to some of his thoughts on the protests and the war I consider insightful.

a-few-thoughts-on-the-situation-in-israel-palestine-and-on-the-campuses
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

“Endless”? How many days is “endless”?

They’d better refund tuition.
raison de arizona

raison de arizona

Prem Thakker @prem_thakker wrote: Shocking footage shows several officers at Washington University St. Louis beating a professor, slamming him, and dragging his limp body.
SIUE history professor Steve Tamari is reportedly hospitalized with broken ribs and a broken hand.
One doctor told him he's lucky to be alive.
raison de arizona

Staff solidarity.
https://twitter.com/IUonStrike/status/1 ... 5038711819
IU on Strike @IUonStrike wrote: If the cops attack, we walk out.
We won't work on a campus ruled by fear.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Washington University St. Louis has a very high percentage (24%) of Jewish students. I wonder how that plays into it.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

I wonder what this is going to do to the ability of these universities to attract highly qualified students?

Especially graduate students and international students?

And professors....

Return to “Current Politics”