Recipes!

MsDaisy

Re: Recipes!

Post by MsDaisy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:17 am

Maybenaut wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:08 pm

The taquitos sound great! I always have to adjust recipes to account for my allergies, so no cheese or ranch dressing for me, but it sounds great without those things (sometimes I'll use vegan cheese, depending on the recipe).
That's the great thing about making up recipes, you can add or take away whatever you like. There's lots of stuff I can't eat either, the saddest being deserts or generally sweets of any kind. It's not a diabetic thing, but somehow about a year after my hysterectomy 20+ years ago anything sweet started to sour in my stomach as soon as I ate it, very strange. Eventually I just gave up trying to eat sweets at all. :(
Birfers are toast

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:57 pm

Finally got our cast iron skillet cleaned and re-seasoned for the 1st time since Harvey.

Mrs. V. made smothered pork chops.

They were so good we both finished a whole one. :o

Recipe-

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 teaspoon black pepper

1 cup (about 4½ ounces) all-purpose flour, plus 1½ tablespoons

2 large eggs, beaten

1 cup whole milk

1 cup unseasoned panko

4 boneless 1 1/2-inch-thick pork chops (about 10 to 11 ounces each)

1 tablespoon unsalted butter

¼ cup olive oil

1 cup chopped yellow onion

8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms

2 tablespoons minced garlic (from 6 garlic cloves)

¼ cup Dijon mustard

½ cup heavy cream

½ cup dry white wine

1 cup chicken broth

1 tablespoon chopped rosemary

1 tablespoon chopped thyme

Serves 4 very hungry people.

Combine the salt, pepper and 1 cup of the flour in a shallow baking dish. Whisk together the eggs and milk in a small bow. Spread the panko in a separate shallow baking dish. Lightly dredge the pork chops in the flour mixture on both sides. Dip the chops in the egg mixture on both sides and then coat with the pankos on both sides.

Heat the butter and the olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add the chops, cover and cook until golden brown or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest portion of the chop registers 135 degrees, about 7 to 8 minutes per side. Transfer chops to a wire rack in a pan and keep warm in 180-degree oven.

Reserve 2 tablespoons oil in the skillet discarding remaining oil. If there isn't that much oil left add more as needed. Heat the oil over medium-high; add the onion and mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until the onion is translucent and the mushrooms are browned, about 7 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring often, about 1 minute. Add remaining 1½ tablespoons flour and stir to coat the mushrooms and onion. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in the mustard and wine and simmer, stirring often, until thickened. Add the broth and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the cream and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 2 to 3 minutes more. Stir in the rosemary and thyme. Spoon about ¾ cup gravy over the top of each pork chop and serve.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:07 pm

That looks/sounds VERY good.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:40 pm

Our old toaster died so today Mrs. V. went to get a new one as a side trip while finally getting a mirror for the downstairs bathroom.

She got a very nice 4 slot toaster but also came home with a very large George Foreman Grill, one that can make 8 paninis at a time. :o Now Mrs. V. can grill a whole salmon fillet without cutting it in half. ;)

Also the T-Bone steaks we had tonight we had cooked Sous Vide and then froze. After thawing them overnight we browned them in a skillet per the 2nd half of the recipe that came with our Sous Vide. They were quite tender for select quality steaks. :thumbs: I smothered mine in mushrooms sauteed in butter. :)

Select quality beef much cheaper than prime or choice but if you prepare it well it is almost as good. :thumbs:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:17 pm

Address to the haggis, Burns Night Supper Jan 25th 2010, Lodge #653, by Sgt. Frank McKay, 48th Highlanders.

(ts tsk tsk - they missed the toast with the whiskey)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:37 pm

Mrs. V. has discovered Swiss Miss Peppermint Hot Cocoa K-Cups. Our Keurig has never been so busy. ;)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:50 pm

Our Instant Pot adventures continue. Latest- split pea soup that takes only 40 minutes from start to finish. :shock:

This is Mrs. V's modification of an Internet recipe.

3 tablespoons butter
1 onion, diced
3 celery sticks, diced
3 sliced carrots
1 cup chopped kale (these days Mrs. V. puts kale in everything ;) )
12 oz. diced ham or Spam or Treat or you can used a ham bone with a lot of meat left on it
1 lb. dry split peas, sorted through and rinsed
5 cups chicken stock or veggie stock
1 cup dry white wine
2 bay leaves
salt and black pepper

Turn Instant Pot to the “sauté” setting. Melt butter and sauté onion, celery, kale and carrots, seasoned with salt and pepper, for about 5 minutes, until softened.

Add the split peas, stock, wine, ham, and bay leaves.

Cover pressure cooker and set to manual high pressure for 15 minutes.

Turn off Instant Pot and vent.

If you used a ham bone: remove it from the soup and remove the ham meat that’s still attached to it. Add the ham meat back into the soup.

Serve immediately, or store in your refrigerator for up to 1 week or freezer in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

No need to soak the peas overnight. :thumbs:

We have had this twice once using a hambone and once using diced ham from a spiral sliced ham. It was great both ways.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:03 pm

I just made stock from a ham bone in the Instant Pot. One bone, some celery bottoms and tops, some carrots, an onion. 2 Bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, peppercorns. Cooked 2 hours on high pressure. Let cool for an hour because I forgot it was there. Fished out the solid stuff, and put in the fridge to settle the fat out. It smells divine!

Not sure what I'll do with it. Will be Bean soup or lentil soup. I have dried pinto beans and dried garbanzo beans, and 2 bags of lentils. (I thought I had split peas, but I don't.)
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Janny in Texas

Post by Janny in Texas » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:23 pm

My husband makes pea soup, chicken rice soup, rutabaga and many other things in our Instant Pot. Can't believe how much time is saved.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:29 pm

Red beans for red beans and rice twice in the last week, ham hock one time, sausage next. I've always used dried beans, but an hour or so sure beats the hell out of overnight.

tek

Post by tek » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:04 pm

When ms.tek was arranging for the condo rental in FL, she told the owner "but I need an instant pot" .. he thought that was a pretty bizarre request, but it is a fairly high-end place, so he did..

He also got himself one. When we met him to get the keys and the intro, he said "Thank you so much for asking for an instant pot!" .. he and his partner have been getting a lot of use out of it.. in the Vietnamese cuisine direction..

Pea Soup totally rocks in the IP..
You can't go on
Thinking nothing's wrong

tek

Post by tek » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:24 pm

Kind of a mix of recipes and hijack..

so ms.tek is in a condo FL for 3 months because "f'k this ice and snow crap" ...

and daughter.tek is in FL because a few things fell thru on the home-buying side and some amazing opportunities popped up on the equestrian side, so she's "roomin' with mom" while working full-time-plus remotely .. and her husband is back on the frigid north .. and she's riding the grandpony most every day...

and I'm down in FL for a week's visit ...

We did home-made pizza in the condo tonight, with whatever cookware we had..

This is probably OUR family food centroid; from when daughter was very young we'd do this every Sunday night.. and daughter.tek was allowed (nay, required) to top her own pizza.. she has since perfected pizza dough far beyond my dough..

Sharing simple food with those you love.. let's not forget the power of this..
You can't go on
Thinking nothing's wrong

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:05 am

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:46 pm

:thumbs: :rotflmao:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:13 pm

In 1946 the British Council asked George Orwell to write a pamphlet about British cuisine for foreign readers.

Apparently he was something of an expert. :shock:

After he delivered it the Council decided not to publish it because Britain was still under strict rationing (that did not fully end until 1954).

It has now been published. It is a wonderful snapshot of the state of British cooking at the middle of the 20th Century. I now understand many food-related terms that are used in British TV and movies. :thumbs:

A few choice paragraphs below.

It includes several recipes.

George Orwell: British Cookery

https://www.britishcouncil.org/organisa ... sh-cooking
Generalising further, one may say that the characteristic British diet is a simple, rather heavy, perhaps slightly barbarous diet, drawing much of its virtue from the excellence of the local materials, and with its main emphasis on sugar and animal fats. It is the diet of a wet northern country where butter is plentiful and vegetable oils are scarce, where hot drinks are acceptable at most hours of the day, and where all the spices and some of the stronger-tasting herbs are exotic products. Garlic, for instance, is unknown in British cookery proper: on the other hand mint, which is completely neglected in some European countries, figures largely. In general, British people prefer sweet things to spicy things, and they combine sugar with meat in a way that is seldom seen elsewhere.
I will never forget the 1st time had had venison at a restaurant in the New Forest. It was covered with a sweet berry sauce.
First of all, then, breakfast. Ideally for nearly all British people, and in practice for most of them even now, this is not a snack but a serious meal. The hour at which people have their breakfast is of course governed by the time at which they go to work, but if they were free to choose, most people would like to have breakfast at nine o’clock. In principle the meal consists of three courses, one of which is a meat course. Traditionally it starts with porridge, which is made of coarse oatmeal, sodden and then boiled into a spongy mess: it is eaten always hot, with cold milk (better still, cream) poured over it, and sugar. Breakfast cereals, which are ready-cooked preparations of wheat or rice, taken cold with milk and sugar, are often eaten instead of porridge. After this comes either fish, usually salt fish, or meat in some form, or eggs in some form. The best and most characteristically British form of salt fish is the kipper, which is a herring split open and cured in wood-smoke until it is deep brown colour. Kippers are either grilled or fried. The usual breakfast meat dishes are either fried bacon, with or without fried eggs, grilled kidneys, fried pork sausages, or cold ham. British people favour a lean, mild type of bacon or ham, cured with sugar and nitre rather than with salt. At normal time it is not unusual to eat grilled beef steaks or mutton chops at breakfast, and there are still old-fashioned people who like to start the day with cold roast beef. In some parts of the country, for instance in East Anglia, it is usual to eat cheese at breakfast.
Not exactly what was called a full English breakfast when I was going there regularly in the 1980's and 1990's.
First of all, British apples, one or other variety of which is obtainable for about seven months of the year. Nearly all British fruits and vegetables have a good natural flavour, but the apples are outstanding. The best are those that ripen late, from September onwards, and one should not be put off by the feat that most British varieties are dull in colour and irregular in size. The best are the Cox’s Orange pippin, the Blenheim Orange, the Charles Hoss, the James Grieve and the Russet. These are all eaten raw. The Bramley: Seedling is a superlative cooking apple.
Put another way, the British had to do without apples for 5 months every year. :o
Finally, a word in praise of British bread. In general it is close-grained, rather sweet-flavoured bread, which remains good for three or four days after being baked. It is seen at its best in the kind of double loaf. Rye bread and barley bread are hardly eaten in Britain, but the wholemeal wheat bread is extremely good. The great virtue of British bread is that it is baked in small batches, in a rather primitive way, and therefore is not at all standardised. The bread from one baker may be quite different from another down the street, and one can range about from shop to shop until one is suited. It is a good general rule that small, old-fashioned shops make the best-flavoured bread. Throughout a great deal of the North of England the women prefer to bake their bread for themselves.
Those poor folk never knew the joy that is Wonder Bread. ;)

Lots more in that article about sweets, puddings, fish, jams, beer, etc. :)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:29 pm

At Xmas time Kroger had specials on rib roasts. There was a prime grade roast that would have made a big hole in our bank account and a select grade roast for only $3:49 a pound (normally $11 per pound). I bought one of the latter and froze it.

Cooked it today. Very simple. For a 4 to 5 pound bone-in roast-

Once thawed unwrap it and let it sit at room temperature for 2 hours. Rub it with salt and pepper. Put it in a shallow roasting pan on a roasting rack with the fat side up. Put 1/2 inch water in the pan. Cook at 450F for 20 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 350F and cook until the internal temperature is about 130F. Then remove from oven, cover with a loose tent of aluminum foil and let sit for 20 minutes. Comes out medium rare.

It was delicious and surprisingly tender for a select cut of beef. :thumbs:

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:04 pm

A full day at the guild hall today, beginning with a presentation at 9:00, then the prepare to qualify, then the board retreat at 2 and a pot luck at 5:30 so I had to figure out something that could sit for many hours. Unfortunately, I forgot about it until this morning. Scrounging around I came up with a pasta thing. A box of pasta,
what was left of the bacon,
what was left of the mushrooms,
a bag of frozen spinach.
I had some alfredo sauce so I made some more to add to it, and I had some ricotta but not enough, so I smushed the rest of the cottage cheese to add to it. I didn't even cook the pasta first, just mixed it up with the alfredo then layered the stuff like lasagna and threw a handful of mozz on top. Turned it on low when I got there and it was pert near perfect by the time we ate. There was just enough for my husband left over and the crock pot is already in the dishwasher. I hate it when my appliance is a better cook than I am.

SuzieC
Occupation: Attorney since 1977. Litigator for 33 years. For 8 years so far Admin Law Judge for 3 state agencies.

Post by SuzieC » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:08 pm

Hello dear fogbowzers. In between waiting for Jeff Bezos Steel Ballz to take down Trump and his Pecker I thought you might want to hear that I have discovered the method for perfectly seared scallops. I had never previously cooked them perfectly but now I have. Use....duck fat! It reaches a very high and stable heat. 5 minutes per side. Perfect. Make a sauce of lemon, capers, wine, and something creamy, like yogurt or salad dressing.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:49 pm

The last of our holiday ham has become ham salad. :-D

A lot easier using a food processor than the old hand crank grinder my parents used when I was a boy. I usually got to turn the crank.

Just three ingredients- ground ham, sweet relish and mayonaise.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:44 pm

Mrs. V. is trying a low carb diet.

Which means that I am trying a low carb diet. :(

Last night Mrs. V. made pizza with a cauliflower crust. :shock:

Chopped up the cauliflower-

After microwaving it she squeezed out the water-

Mixed it with shredded parmesan cheese and spread it on a pizza pan-

The crust was then baked in a 500 F oven until barely golden brown.

Then added sauce, cheese and toppings and broiled until the mozzarella melted-

It was very good. Almost seemed like a dough crust. :o

Mrs. V. has also discovered fried pork rinds. Not just as a snack item. She pulverizes them and uses them instead of bread crumbs.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:09 pm

Cracklin's! Yum.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:11 pm

I recently bought a package with two cauliflower crust pizzas in it at Costco. The crust and the pizza were actually pretty good. It also reheated well in the air fryer. Thanks for showing how she made it.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:06 pm

We made jalapeno poppers for lunch. :-D

Really easy. Cut fresh jalapenos in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Stuff with cream cheese. Wrap with 1/2 slice of bacon. Bake at 425 F for 25 to 30 minutes. Very important- let cool for 10 minutes before eating.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:11 pm

First I have heard of this amazing fruit. :o

How the vegan food trend made a star of the stinking jackfruit

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... 1550331857
Lush, densely forested Kerala, the exuberantly green south Indian state sometimes called “God’s own country”, is exactly the kind of place you would expect to produce a superfood. It just wouldn’t be the jackfruit.

Covered in spikes and emitting a stench of rotting onions, jackfruit can balloon to an ungainly 45kg, and its inside is coated in a thick gum that stains axes, machetes or whatever heavy-duty tool is employed to attack its leathery shell.

Yet thousands of miles from this tropical forest habitat, in food trucks in Los Angeles, vegan eateries in London – and now even at Pizza Hut– jackfruit consumption is surging among diners looking for an ethical alternative to meat.

In India, where the fruit originated, that demand is helping to drive a renaissance for a plant that only five years ago was still regarded as a backyard nuisance.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:37 pm

For her low carb diet Mrs. V. made bread from almond flour, eggs and baking powder. The slices have to dry after baking the loaf.

It is more like pound cake than wheat bread in texture. It toasts well.

Return to “The Lounge”