Recipes!

MsDaisy

Re: Recipes!

Post by MsDaisy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:17 am

Maybenaut wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:08 pm

The taquitos sound great! I always have to adjust recipes to account for my allergies, so no cheese or ranch dressing for me, but it sounds great without those things (sometimes I'll use vegan cheese, depending on the recipe).
That's the great thing about making up recipes, you can add or take away whatever you like. There's lots of stuff I can't eat either, the saddest being deserts or generally sweets of any kind. It's not a diabetic thing, but somehow about a year after my hysterectomy 20+ years ago anything sweet started to sour in my stomach as soon as I ate it, very strange. Eventually I just gave up trying to eat sweets at all. :(

Birfers are toast

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:57 pm

Finally got our cast iron skillet cleaned and re-seasoned for the 1st time since Harvey.

Mrs. V. made smothered pork chops.

They were so good we both finished a whole one. :o

Recipe-

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 teaspoon black pepper

1 cup (about 4½ ounces) all-purpose flour, plus 1½ tablespoons

2 large eggs, beaten

1 cup whole milk

1 cup unseasoned panko

4 boneless 1 1/2-inch-thick pork chops (about 10 to 11 ounces each)

1 tablespoon unsalted butter

¼ cup olive oil

1 cup chopped yellow onion

8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms

2 tablespoons minced garlic (from 6 garlic cloves)

¼ cup Dijon mustard

½ cup heavy cream

½ cup dry white wine

1 cup chicken broth

1 tablespoon chopped rosemary

1 tablespoon chopped thyme

Serves 4 very hungry people.

Combine the salt, pepper and 1 cup of the flour in a shallow baking dish. Whisk together the eggs and milk in a small bow. Spread the panko in a separate shallow baking dish. Lightly dredge the pork chops in the flour mixture on both sides. Dip the chops in the egg mixture on both sides and then coat with the pankos on both sides.

Heat the butter and the olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add the chops, cover and cook until golden brown or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest portion of the chop registers 135 degrees, about 7 to 8 minutes per side. Transfer chops to a wire rack in a pan and keep warm in 180-degree oven.

Reserve 2 tablespoons oil in the skillet discarding remaining oil. If there isn't that much oil left add more as needed. Heat the oil over medium-high; add the onion and mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until the onion is translucent and the mushrooms are browned, about 7 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring often, about 1 minute. Add remaining 1½ tablespoons flour and stir to coat the mushrooms and onion. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in the mustard and wine and simmer, stirring often, until thickened. Add the broth and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the cream and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 2 to 3 minutes more. Stir in the rosemary and thyme. Spoon about ¾ cup gravy over the top of each pork chop and serve.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:07 pm

That looks/sounds VERY good.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Return to “The Lounge”