Recipes!

Chilidog

Re: Recipes!

Post by Chilidog » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:32 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:59 am
Prune and poppy seed were the two traditional fillings for the kolaches in the Czech community in NE Iowa where my husband grew up. My sweetie preferred the apricot and cherry filled kolaches though.
Those are the flavors I'm going with.

I'm afraid that to bring poppy seed kolacki to work.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:03 pm

So I have an Instant Pot now. I just opened the box. It's a lot bigger than I expected. Fortunately for me it came with an instruction book and recipe book. I'll take it slow, because I'm afraid of the damned thing :daydream:

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:34 pm

Addie wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:03 pm
So I have an Instant Pot now. I just opened the box. It's a lot bigger than I expected. Fortunately for me it came with an instruction book and recipe book. I'll take it slow, because I'm afraid of the damned thing :daydream:
My favorite recipe: https://iwashyoudry.com/instant-pot-spa ... meatballs/

Rice cooks perfectly.

Advice— when you tip the pressure valve to vent the steam, it really shoots out. Face the vent away from your cabinets, or use the pot on an island.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:24 am

Thanks, W4. :kiss: That looks like a recipe even I won't screw up. I want to get accustomed to this contraption and then learn how to make yogurt. This looked like such a friendly little doodad when I ordered it. :blackeye:
Whatever4 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:34 pm
Addie wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:03 pm
My favorite recipe: https://iwashyoudry.com/instant-pot-spa ... meatballs/

Rice cooks perfectly.

Advice— when you tip the pressure valve to vent the steam, it really shoots out. Face the vent away from your cabinets, or use the pot on an island.

tek

Post by tek » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:09 pm

Smokers?

To set the scene: Currently in Lake Worth FL. ms.tek will be here for three months, and daughter.tek for most of that (with her horse, which is a whole 'NOTHER story), but I'll mostly be back in the land of the ice and snow.

We drove down (so that ms.tek could have her car), and we stopped to visit her family in VA on the way down (cuz, well it's in the way and all).. Her brother bought a smoker last summer (masterbuilt electric).. he loves it, wishes he got the bigger model. He made smoked pulled pork for boxing day dinner, and it was fabulous. I mean REALLY fabulous.

Thinking of getting one. Any folks here with experience?

...tom

PS: it is 88 f'in degrees fahrenheat here.
PPS: literally everyone from north of the macy-dixy line was on the I95 with us on day-after-boxing-day. My species does not know how to drive.
There's no way back
from there to here

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:53 pm

:o

Um, Did You Know You Can Make Wine in Your Instant Pot?

https://www.thekitchn.com/you-can-now-m ... pot-256334
Murphy says the idea of making wine in an Instant Pot actually started with a meme that was going around Facebook asking, "Why hasn't someone figured out how to put grapes in the crockpot and have it turn into wine? It's like no one tries anymore."

It was a joke, but Murphy ran with it, and he eventually developed a recipe that he says turns grape juice, sugar, and red wine yeast into drinkable wine in just about 10 days.

The ingredients are very simple, but the recipe does have a lot of steps. The full instructions are available on Murphy's blog, but it involves filling the Instant Pot with a 64-ounce bottle of grape juice, a cup of sugar, and the red wine yeast and then using the Instant Pot's yogurt-making setting to keep the mixture at around 80 degrees for about 48 hours to let the yeast go wild in its warm sugar bath. (This does involve opening and closing the lid vent every six to eight hours.)

After 48 hours, you'll have a cloudy, fizzy, dark-red liquid that's ready to be bottled and stored in a cool, dark place. Murphy says you can leave it for up to a month, but eight days is generally enough time to lose its fizziness and develop a nice flavor.
https://foodnservice.com/instant-pot-wine/
Sanitizing Your Instant Pot
I didn’t throw this in here before, but I want to recommend in sanitizing your Instant Pot. This is VERY easy to do. Take 1 tablespoon of bleach and 1 gallon of hot water. Mix well, and pour into your Instant Pot liner pot. Allow to sit for at least 30 seconds to kill any type of bacteria. Dry with a clean towel, and you’re ready to go!

Ingredients Needed to Make Instant Pot Wine
To get everything started, you’re going to need just a few things to make your Instant Pot wine.

Welch’s Grape Juice (64oz bottle)
1 cup of sugar (granulated)
a funnel
1 packet Lalvin Red Wine Yeast (They also have White Wine Yeast) *Just use 1/2 a pack*
Instant Pot with Yogurt Function (I have a 6qt DUO Plus IP)
Clear Packing Tape
There are a lot of other steps and the whole process takes 48 hours of cooking followed by 8 days of letting the wine sit in a bottle at room temperature.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:10 pm

Tonight for the third time in 4 days our dinner will be cooked in an Instant Pot. We love it.

So imagine my surprise to see this article-

The Instant Pot Will Not Solve All of Life’s Problems
Time-saving kitchen gadgets have always come with a compromise.

:o

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... se/579769/
By inspiring hope for the automation of the domestic, the Instant Pot joins a lineage of kitchen gadgetry that includes the Crock-Pot and the microwave—consumer sensations that attempt to retrofit traditional women’s work into modern women’s lives. But like its predecessors, the Instant Pot can only do so much, even if those abilities include making everything from bone broth to cheesecake. While the Instant Pot might be the most sophisticated fix yet for Americans’ dwindling opportunity to prepare their own food, it can’t address the bigger problem of where that time and skill went in the first place, and how much more stands to be lost.

The Instant Pot is the right product at the right time, and by all indications, the vast majority of people who own one seem to adore it. Devotees of the device—often abbreviated as the “IP” online—sing its praises on social media, and Facebook in particular has been fertile ground for its word-of-mouth spread. When I asked around on my account, I expected mixed reactions; nothing is universally beloved on social media. But many people reported using their pots multiple times a week, and almost all of them were doing so to feed spouses and kids. A friend from high school, usually a bit of a curmudgeon, called his family’s Instant Pot “fairly amazing.” Another, the spouse of a college co-worker, said she uses hers to meal-prep for her household of 12. One guy said he and his wife were considering buying a third, smaller IP because they got so much use out of their first two.

:snippity:

The pull of domestic multitasking is strong for American women. A recent study found that reducing time spent on household chores and performing multiple tasks at once are the main ways working mothers in the United States are able to dedicate time to their children, and the Instant Pot is optimized for efficiency not just in its use, but also in its acquisition. Amazon was long the only place to buy an Instant Pot, and according to Coco Morante, the author of an Instant Pot cookbook and founder of a half-million-member IP Facebook group, Amazon discounts are still such a huge sales driver that she can see them reflected in her membership. “Whenever there’s an Amazon sale, there’s a whole new crop of thousands of people who are excited about it,” she says. Buying an Instant Pot has never required price comparisons or shopping around: You get the sale alert, you add the item to your cart, it’s in your home in two days.

Now we have Instant Pots. The device seems tailor-made to address the symptoms of a laundry list of modern problems. In addition to having tight schedules, Millennials distrust the packaged foods of their youth, and many of the time-saving gadgets of the past have fallen out of favor with them—even microwaves. But if the Instant Pot is a good compromise between being overburdened at work and wanting to cook with fresh ingredients, it’s still a compromise. It doesn’t address the fact that work has seeped into an ever-larger portion of Americans’ waking hours, taking time and energy away from the basic tasks of familial maintenance, or that a lot of people would rather have a little more time to take care of their families or a more helpful spouse instead of another gadget to do it for them.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:49 pm

I recently bought an air fryer. It’s not really a “fryer”; it’s more like a mini convection oven. It’s really great for reheating because, unlike the microwave it uses dry heat rather than wet heat. So things don’t get all soggy. Are use it mostly for making little chicken cakes out of canned chicken (I pressure canned the chicken myself). I mix the canned chicken with some egg, some Italian seasoning, bread crumbs, onion and garlic, then form them into a little patties, spritz them with a little bit of olive oil, and put them in the air fryer for five minutes aside. Then I dip them in pizza sauce. It’s a great high-protein low-carbohydrate snack!
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:13 pm

Last night's Instant Pot dinner-

Moroccan Chicken with Green Olives, Tomatoes, Chickpeas and Kale
Serves 4

Ingredients

8 oz chicken broth
1 teaspoon organic charissa seasoning
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoon lemon juice
salt and ground, black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 big handfuls of kale, stemmed and chopped
4 boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
13.5-oz chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup green olives
1 cup small tomatoes

Preparation

Add chicken broth, charissa, cumin, turmeric, paprika, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to blender and blend to combine. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in Instant Pot on "Sauté" mode. Add onion and garlic, and sauté until vegetables are tender.

Add kale to onions and garlic, and sauté until lightly wilted. Remove all from Instant Pot and set aside.

Add 1 additional tablespoon of olive oil and chicken to Instant Pot, and sauté until lightly browned.

Add charissa liquid, chickpeas, olives, tomatoes, and kale-onion-garlic mixture to chicken. Press "Pressure Cook" on Instant Pot and set to 15 minutes. Press "Pressure" on Instant Pot and set to "High Pressure."

Cook for 15 minutes, turn off Instant Pot. Vent carefully. Serve.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:41 pm

Tonight's split pea with ham and kale(!) soup prepared in the Instant Pot.

Mrs. V. returned from Kroger today with a lot of highly discounted meat. Partly sales to get rid of unsold holiday items and partly items whose last sale day is tomorrow. Good thing we have a refrigerator with a very large freezer. ;)

We are in that time of year I think of as Peak Ham. The large spiral sliced ham we had at New Years provided the bone for the soup and several pounds of meat for use as cold cuts and for ham salad. :thumbs:

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:18 pm

we are looking at the Insta pot.

what are your experiences?

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:01 am

sad-cafe wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:18 pm

I've had an Instant Pot for two years, I use it all the time, and I love it. I have the eight liter (or quart?) IP and it does take up a lot of shelf space, which is a consideration for those with smaller kitchens. The key to using an Instant Pot is finding good recipes. Avoid Melissa Clark's Dinner in an Instant for example. Most of the recipes I use come from internet searches, with seriouseats.com as my go-to pressure cooker recipe source. Frequent use is also made of Pitre, Indian Instant Pot Cookbook.

Caveat: I've never made yogurt in the Instant Pot, I've never made rice, with the exception of risotto (which is ridiculously fast, simple and delicious), I've never used the Instant Pot as a slow cooker. So I'm not able to judge how the Instant Pot fares in those applications.
Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:15 am

sad-cafe wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:18 pm

You might find this article of interest -

Everything You Wanted to Know About the Instant Pot
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:46 am

Speaking of appliances.

For many years, a Kenmore toaster oven has sat in our kitchen on a microwave cart. I grew up with a toaster oven, so it was a natural choice for me.

We got a new main oven with a top broiler feature. Since then, there hadn't been much use for the toaster oven. I have a classic style two slice toaster that is faster, and I can make Ruebens in the new oven in half the time that the toaster oven took.

So, out the door it went. It freed up the cart for other uses an now the kitchen looks bigger and roomier.

The only problem is that the garbage man didn't take it. 😡 It's sitting on the curb right now. Hopefully the scrap guy will grab it.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:38 am

I was going to get an InstantPot for ol' Wifehorn for Christmas, priced it at Kohl's and was just waiting for the discount coupon - they always have one. The night before I was going back to get it, she came to tell me that SHE HAD TO HAVE AN INSTANTPOT, and there was one on her shopping channel. Cheap. Like, a lot cheaper than Kohl's, even with the coupon.

So I got her the robotic vacuum cleaner. But she loves that InstantPot, and she cooks a lot of good stuff in it.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:16 pm

Costco is selling a $90 tub of mac-and-cheese that weighs 27 pounds and lasts 20 years

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/11/costco- ... d_nn_tw_ma
The Chef's Banquet Macaroni & Cheese, listed under Emergency Kits & Supplies, offers 180 servings in separate pouches of elbow pasta and cheddar cheese sauce. That comes out to two servings per dollar.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:49 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:16 pm
Costco is selling a $90 tub of mac-and-cheese that weighs 27 pounds and lasts 20 years

The Chef's Banquet Macaroni & Cheese, listed under Emergency Kits & Supplies, offers 180 servings in separate pouches of elbow pasta and cheddar cheese sauce. That comes out to two servings per dollar.
Since my husband passed away, I've been eating a lot more frozen dinners. Yesterday I bought a frozen Lean Cuisine Vermont White Cheddar Mac & Cheese. I also bought an 8-oz container of refrigerated crab meat so I can put some of that into the mac & cheese. I have the feeling that's at the other end of the spectrum from Costo's two servings per dollar. :lol:
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:13 pm

Volkonski wrote:

Yabbut they are outs stock.

Try Jim Bakker's end-times buckets as a backup.
https://store.jimbakkershow.com/product ... s/buckets/
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:26 pm

My brother was talking about how much he loves his insta pot. I just don't have room for another small appliance. I've never been crazy about pressure cookers, but I understand this is quite an improvement over what my mother used. The last small appliance I bought was an air fryer, and I love that. I did have to get rid of one free-standing cabinet and buy a larger storage system to keep the air fryer off the counter top, though. Between the air fryer and a Ninja crock pot that also bakes, browns, and cooks, I hardly use the cook top or the oven any more.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:58 pm

Volkonski wrote:

Will Alex Jones become a reseller to the SovCits and Endtimes crowd :?:

tek

Post by tek » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:29 pm

speaking mac n cheese, I have my first attempt at Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese in the oven as I type.. probably not a total hit, I mashed half a dozen recipes together.. but it is something I want to work out.. squash is big 'round these parts..

We shall see :)
There's no way back
from there to here

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:17 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:26 pm
My brother was talking about how much he loves his insta pot. I just don't have room for another small appliance. I've never been crazy about pressure cookers, but I understand this is quite an improvement over what my mother used. The last small appliance I bought was an air fryer, and I love that. I did have to get rid of one free-standing cabinet and buy a larger storage system to keep the air fryer off the counter top, though. Between the air fryer and a Ninja crock pot that also bakes, browns, and cooks, I hardly use the cook top or the oven any more.
Here's my thing: I don't get enough protein in my diet, and I'm always looking for new ways to make chicken (I'm allergic to all mammalian meat, and I don't like seafood). I do pressure canning as kind of a hobby, so I've been canning chicken in 1/2-pint jars so I can just open a jar and and stir in some BBQ sauce, Kung Pao sauce, taco seasoning, or whatever.

I recently got an air fryer, which is really a mini-convection oven. And I made up a new recipe that makes me so happy I can't even stand it. I open a couple of 1/2 pint jars of chicken and drain it, shred it in a bowl with a fork, mix in an egg, fresh garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and breadcrumbs (not much). I form them into small cakes, spritz them with olive oil, and brown them in the air fryer five minutes per side, and serve with red sauce. They're crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, but kind of dry so you do need sauce. If I don't eat them all, I'll dip them cold out of the fridge in cold red sauce. So yummy, and 35 grams of protein per serving.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:45 pm

I've wondered if the air fryer ovens wouldn't be worthwhile since you could put things like that on a rack and get it all done in one shot, and there isn't that much difference in price here. I'm of two minds on them and the pot, but leaning towards them being worth the money.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:55 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:17 pm

Here's my thing: I don't get enough protein in my diet, and I'm always looking for new ways to make chicken
Oooo, you might like my chicken rolls. It’s a kind of compilation of recipes I found on the Internet plus my own input. Once the rolls are done and cool you can individually wrap them with cling film and freeze them on a cookie sheet. Once frozen you can put them in zip lock bags to be individually nuked for lunch or dinner upon demand.

Chipotle Chicken Taquitos

4 large chicken breasts
1 small can Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
1 4oz can of green chilies (un-drained)
½ cup corn cup black beans
½ tblsp chopped fresh cilantro
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp salt
1&1/2 tblsp lime juice
1 half-pint or so salsa - (you want the mix nice and moist but not wet)
(About) 20 6” tortillas
Shredded Mexican cheese
Chipotle Ranch dressing

Boil and shred 4 large chicken breasts

Very finely chop 2 seeded Chipotle peppers (using gloves) and scrape out 2 tblsp + 1 tsp (all rounded) of the Adobo sauce. Mix well and evenly into shredded chicken. (Using gloved hands) And mix in the can if green chilies. Add: corn, black beans and all remaining spices.

Microwave each tortilla (one at a time) for about 10 seconds to soften. Across the center cover with the meat mixture and sprinkle some cheese on top. Slightly fold up the two ends and then roll tightly.

Heat oil to 375º. Place Taquitos in hot oil, turning until evenly brown. They burn easy, so watch them. Drain on paper towels.

Sauce:
Chipotle Ranch dressing for dipping.

Makes about 15- 20 depending on the size of the chicken breasts

Hint... only cook 3 or 4 at a time and have a pair of tongs ready in both hands to keep them together. They sometimes want to blow up and unroll themselves in the hot oil before they get properly cooked. :-D

I also haz an invention for Indian chicken salad, do you like Indian?
Birfers are toast

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:08 pm

MsDaisy wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:55 pm
Maybenaut wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:17 pm

Here's my thing: I don't get enough protein in my diet, and I'm always looking for new ways to make chicken
Oooo, you might like my chicken rolls. It’s a kind of compilation of recipes I found on the Internet plus my own input. Once the rolls are done and cool you can individually wrap them with cling film and freeze them on a cookie sheet. Once frozen you can put them in zip lock bags to be individually nuked for lunch or dinner upon demand.

Chipotle Chicken Taquitos
The taquitos sound great! I always have to adjust recipes to account for my allergies, so no cheese or ranch dressing for me, but it sounds great without those things (sometimes I'll use vegan cheese, depending on the recipe).

Not a fan of Indian, though...

Return to “The Lounge”