Voting Rights / Lawsuits / Voter Supression / HR1 / S1 / Gerrymander Congressional Districts / Gerrymandering

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Phoenix520
Verified:

Voting Rights / Lawsuits / Voter Supression / HR1 / S1 / Gerrymander Congressional Districts / Gerrymandering

Post by Phoenix520 »

I can’t think of a Democrat-controlled state that’s passing legislation blatantly targeting Republicans. Have the Rs figured out that there’s nothing that can be done about it in the short term so why the fuck not? :mad:
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Fascists must fascist
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Federal court sets July deadline for new Alabama voting maps
The new maps are necessary after a ruling from the Supreme Court found the state’s 2020 maps were discriminatory.

ByJOSH MOON
Published on June 19, 2023 at 7:35 am CDT

The Alabama Legislature has about a month to redraw congressional voting maps, which include a second district in which Black voters make up a majority or “close to it,” a three-judge federal panel decided Friday.

The July 21 deadline set by the court would allow time for candidates and parties to meet qualifying and certification deadlines for the 2024 election cycle. The action was necessary after a surprise decision by the U.S. Supreme Court in the state’s Allen v. Milligan case, which ruled the maps adopted in 2020 were in violation of Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act.

During a status conference on Friday, the judges impressed upon the parties involved that the time constraints are serious. They also made it clear that if the court was not satisfied with the maps drawn by Alabama lawmakers or if lawmakers failed to agree on new maps by that deadline, the court would appoint a special master to draw the maps for them.

To meet those deadlines, Gov. Kay Ivey will be forced to call the legislature in for a special session next month, at which time new maps can be debated and approved. The new maps would then have to be approved by the federal court during an August hearing.

https://www.alreporter.com/2023/06/19/f ... ting-maps/
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

This tweet about MooreVHarper surprisingly went slightly viral --

Thanks Marc & @democracydocket. Here's hoping the Supreme Court REJECTS the ‘independent state legislature’ theory, or moots #MooreVHarper. Crazy MAGA legislatures are already doing damage to democracy. Shutting this down will help to have free and fair #2024elections.
11:15 AM · Jun 25, 2023 26K Views 54 Retweets 208 Likes

ETA: Just saw Marc retweeted it. Fogbow Victory! :dance:

Marc Retweet.JPG
Marc Retweet.JPG (128.65 KiB) Viewed 928 times
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

My morning routine involves me waking up, grabbing my phone and reading the days' news before crawling out of bed. Today, I ran across this one...

https://nbc-2.com/news/politics/2023/07 ... as-system/
Hundreds of thousands of vote-by-mail requests erased from Florida’s system

Most everything has an expiration date, but one thing you may not have expected to expire was your vote-by-mail ballot.

NBC2 has learned hundreds of thousands of vote-by-mail requests have been wiped out of the system in every county in the state.

This means most of us right now will not receive a ballot in the upcoming March primary.

Lee County would like to have about 250,000 vote-by-mail requests in its system, but currently only has 23,000.
I jumped out of bed, ran into the office and looked up our voter registrations in the Lee County site and, sure enough, no mail-in ballot request. I immediately updated them (again). Thanks to DuhSantis, the request now has to be renewed after every general election. Boy, that's gonna sting when a bunch of people realize they missed the deadline to enroll and are going to have to stand in line to vote.

There was no notification. You were supposed to magically know your mail-in request had lapsed.

Do we have a thread where we can post updates for every state to help us remember to check our status, whatever we want it to be? If not, I'm happy to start one.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Do not forget, this is bipartisan. All those Republican voters get also hit. Is the proportions between the parties known? Will all the Republican T (or Desantis) voters run their mobility scooters to the polling station? This could also bite the election processors having to cater foor extra staff at the polling stations. Is FL one of those states that has closed the number of polling stations?
tek

Post by tek »

In palm beach county we got several emails and snail mails about this, so that people could deal with it.
But pbc cares about democracy, much to DeSantis' ire..
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:43 am My morning routine involves me waking up, grabbing my phone and reading the days' news before crawling out of bed. Today, I ran across this one...
I jumped out of bed, ran into the office and looked up our voter registrations in the Lee County site and, sure enough, no mail-in ballot request. I immediately updated them (again). Thanks to DuhSantis, the request now has to be renewed after every general election. Boy, that's gonna sting when a bunch of people realize they missed the deadline to enroll and are going to have to stand in line to vote.
I saw the same article on Wednesday and immediately checked my status. Still good for mail ballots through 12/2024. I assume this is because I changed my address ~6 months ago which they treat like a new voter registration. (when they flubbed and put me as a REP which I then had to fix)
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

AZ does both ways, you can either sign up for a permanent vote by mail list, and they will just automatically mail you a ballot every election, or you can request a vote by mail for a single election.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

This is the part where the court draws the district FOR them, yes?
Alabama Republicans refuse to draw a second Black congressional district in defiance of Supreme Court
The Supreme Court this year reaffirmed a federal court order for Alabama to include two districts where Black voters make up voting-age majorities, “or something quite close to it.”

Alabama Republicans on Friday defied a U.S. Supreme Court order by passing a new congressional map that includes only one majority-Black district.

The GOP-controlled Legislature had called a special session to redraw an earlier map after the Supreme Court reaffirmed a federal court order to include two districts where Black voters make up voting-age majorities, “or something quite close to it.” But on Friday, state Republicans approved a new map with just one majority-Black seat and a second district that is approximately 40% Black.

The bill passed the House in a 75-28 vote after the Senate voted 24 to 6 in favor of the revised map.

The map was completed Friday afternoon — hours before the court-ordered deadline for the Legislature to draw up new boundaries — as a compromise between the House and Senate versions.

Republican Gov. Kay Ivey signed the redistricting map into law Friday night. A federal court will hold a hearing on the map Aug. 14.

“Following the U.S. Supreme Court order, I called the Alabama Legislature into a special session to readdress our congressional map," Ivey said in a statement after signing the measure. "The Legislature knows our state, our people and our districts better than the federal courts or activist groups, and I am pleased that they answered the call, remained focused and produced new districts ahead of the court deadline.”
:snippity:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/electi ... -rcna94715
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
much ado

Post by much ado »

The South shall rise again!!
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

They really are re-litigating the 1960s,aren't they?
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Yep! We don’t need all those pesky provisions of the Voting Rights Act anymore.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Y'all seriously thought anyone in Aladamnbama could count to two?
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Judges reject Alabama’s congressional lines, will draw new districts to increase Black voting power

KIM CHANDLER
Updated Tue, September 5, 2023 at 6:20 PM GMT+2·3 min read

In blocking the newly drawn congressional map, the three-judge panel wrote that they are “deeply troubled” that Alabama lawmakers flouted their instruction to create a second majority-Black district or something close to it. A designated special master will be tapped to draw new districts for the state, the judges ordered.

“This is a significant step toward equal representation for Black Alabamians,” said former U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, chairman of the National Democratic Redistricting Committee, which backed one of the court challenges that led to the decision.

The Alabama attorney general’s office did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment. The state is expected to appeal the decision to the U.S. Supreme Court.

The Republican-controlled Alabama Legislature hastily drew new lines this summer after the U.S. Supreme Court in June upheld the panel’s finding that the map — that had one majority-Black district out of seven in a state where 27% of residents are Black — likely violated the U.S. Voting Rights Act.

The three-judge panel, in striking down Alabama’s map in 2022, said the state should have two districts where Black voters have an opportunity to elect their preferred candidates. Because of racially polarized voting in the state, that map would need to include a second district where Black voters are the majority or “something quite close,” the judges wrote.

Alabama lawmakers in July passed a new map that maintained a single majority-Black district and boosted the percentage of Black voters in another district, District 2, from about 30% to almost 40%.

“We are not aware of any other case in which a state legislature — faced with a federal court order declaring that its electoral plan unlawfully dilutes minority votes and requiring a plan that provides an additional opportunity district — responded with a plan that the state concedes does not provide that district,” the judges wrote in the ruling rejecting the new map.

The group of Black voters who filed one of the two lawsuits that led to the order likened Alabama’s defiance in the case to that of segregationist Gov. George Wallace, who unsuccessfully tried to defy court orders to desegregate.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/three-judge- ... 58203.html
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Re the Alabama newly rejected map - I get it. I can see why their legislature drew the map they did. Why would people up for election draw a map which would displease the folks voting for them? Better to draw one they knew would be rejected but would keep their voters happy. If an outside panel re-draws it, the current legislators can go back to their voters and say "We tried. This new map isn't our doing. Vote for us to keep doing your bidding."
raison de arizona

Alabama lost. Again. Their AG is displeased.
NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:10 pm Alabama lost. Again. Their AG is displeased.
What happens next :?:
raison de arizona

NewMexGirl wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:16 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:10 pm Alabama lost. Again. Their AG is displeased.
The court draws a map for them, and they whine and complain some more. I thinks.
NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:19 pm
NewMexGirl wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:16 pm :snippity:

The court draws a map for them, and they whine and complain some more. I thinks.
Thanks. If Alabama defies SCOTUS, will ‘Bama be thrown out of these United States and form their own country? I’m really trying hard not to wish for that outcome. ;) That is a joke. Probably.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

NewMexGirl wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:34 pm Thanks. If Alabama defies SCOTUS, will ‘Bama be thrown out of these United States and form their own country? I’m really trying hard not to wish for that outcome. ;) That is a joke. Probably.
I mean, we'd lose Senator Coach!
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Ben-Prime wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:15 pm
NewMexGirl wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:34 pm Thanks. If Alabama defies SCOTUS, will ‘Bama be thrown out of these United States and form their own country? I’m really trying hard not to wish for that outcome. ;) That is a joke. Probably.
Don't worry. The NCAA will take 7 years to investigate before closing the case with no penalties.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

keith wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:41 pm :snippity:

Don't worry. The NCAA will take 7 years to investigate before closing the case with no penalties.
[/quote]

:rimshot:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Did the AG just call the 6-3 ultra conservative SCOTUS liberal activists?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4

Return to “Current Politics”