Border Package Bill + Israel Ukraine Taiwan: ‘Emergency National Security Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2024

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Border Package Bill + Israel Ukraine Taiwan: ‘Emergency National Security Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2024

Post by raison de arizona »

:mad:
https://x.com/rachelvscott/status/17549 ... 13332?s=20
Rachel Scott @rachelvscott wrote: I asked Sen. Murphy if there’s any hope for the border deal in the Senate.

“No,” he said flat out.

“Republicans have definitively sided with Donald Trump. They've decided they want to keep chaos at the border because it is a political winner for them”
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Sen. Chris Murphy really going off on the GOP on the Senate floor! I'm sure there will be clips soon, it's sa-weet.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

#FAFO? A boy can hope.
https://x.com/Victorshi2020/status/1754 ... 44429?s=20
Victor Shi @Victorshi2020 wrote: BOOM. President Biden says, “If the bill fails, I want to be absolutely clear about something. I'll be taking this issue to the country…the American people are going to know the reason the border is not secure is Donald Trump.” Dark Brandon is about to rise & make them find out.
ARISE DARK BRANDON!
raison de arizona

Chris Murphy 🟧 @ChrisMurphyCT wrote: Nobody had more optimism than me that Republicans would do the right thing and vote for our bipartisan bill to fix the border and fund Ukraine.

But today we found out - Republicans chose Trump. They want border chaos because it helps his campaign.

That’s all that matters.
raison de arizona

"Frankly, they owe it to the American people to show some spine."
CSPAN @cspan wrote: President Biden: "So, for the last 24 hours he's done nothing I'm told but reach out to Republicans in the House and the Senate and threaten them and trying to intimidate them to vote against this proposal. And it looks like they’re caving."
CSPAN @cspan wrote: President Biden on Bipartisan National Security Supplemental Bill: "All indications are this bill won't even move forward...why? A simple reason; Donald Trump. Because Donald Trump thinks it's bad for him politically...He'd rather weaponize this issue than actually solve it."
► Show Spoiler
raison de arizona

Acyn @Acyn wrote: Crenshaw: I understand some Republicans are saying we don’t need any changes to the law. Then why did we write HR 2? Why didn’t Trump just shut down the border? He couldn’t
raison de arizona

I really hope Rs continue to speak out against tfg. For all the good it will do.
Really American 🇺🇸 @ReallyAmerican1 wrote: Holy sh*t, here's Republican Rep. Chip Roy exposing Trump's lies about the border, saying he failed to secure it when he was President.

🚨Make sure everyone sees this.
raison de arizona

Chris Murphy 🟧 @ChrisMurphyCT wrote: Republicans before our border deal: WE NEED LEGISLATION TO FIX BORDER!

Republicans after our border deal: KILL ANY BIPARTISAN DEAL TO FIX THE BORDER!
raison de arizona

Adam Klepp @AdamKleppAZ wrote: "We have a vote to proceed to debate, and it looks like it will fail."

I spoke with AZ Senator Mark Kelly this morning about the upcoming procedural vote in the senate today on the border bill.

He said Tuesday was one of the most disappointing days he's had as a U.S. Senator.
raison de arizona

Despicable. Name names already, let's get it all out there.
The Intellectualist @highbrow_nobrow wrote: Senator James Lankford (R-OK): I had a popular commentator that told me flat out, if you try to move a bill that solves the border crisis during this presidential year, I will do whatever I can to destroy you.
@Acyn
raison de arizona

And he's certain one and one is three as well.
Acyn @Acyn wrote: Kennedy: I don't see how anybody could look at this bill and confidently predict it would have been an improvement.

MacCallum: The chief of the border patrol just said exactly that.
raison de arizona

:torches:
Craig Caplan @CraigCaplan wrote: 49-50:Senate blocks bipartisan $118B border security-foreign aid bill. Republicans voted Yes: Collins, Lankford, Murkowski & Romney; Democrats Markey, Menendez, Padilla, Warren & Sanders-I voted No. Schumer switched vote to No & filed motion to reconsider allowing another vote.
raison de arizona

Just FYI, the border patrol union is extremely anti-Biden and pro-tfg.
Biden-Harris HQ @BidenHQ wrote: Fox host: Why do you think Trump is against this bipartisan border bill?

Border Patrol Union President, who supports the bill: I have no idea…

(Trump has openly suggested he’s against any solutions because he wants to create chaos)
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

This is Plan B. To just do the Israel and Ukraine funding without the border piece (which is what Republicans demanded and held things up for four months). Failures and cowards.

Here's more about it: https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/445 ... -security/

Live Senate Floor: https://www.senate.gov/legislative/floo ... y_pail.htm
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
raison de arizona

Shameless. Just shameless. Without shame.
:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:
https://x.com/Acyn/status/1755348380643938537?s=20
Acyn @Acyn wrote: After Republicans tanked the border security bill, Tim Scott says he voted against a stand-alone bill for Israel/Ukraine aid because: We should first secure our southern border.
raison de arizona

moar :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:
https://x.com/Acyn/status/1755354766908022784?s=20
Acyn @Acyn wrote: Tuberville: It was about Ukraine money. It was not about the border. We weren't going to get a deal on the border, so now we jumped into the Ukraine funding and they're going to find a way to get it done, but hopefully we can block it. We need to protect our borders first.
raison de arizona

Join the club lady.
https://x.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/17 ... 63142?s=20
Republicans against Trump @RpsAgainstTrump wrote: NEW

Republican Senator Lisa Murkowski slams her Republican colleagues for blocking the bipartisan immigration bill:

“I have a difficult time understanding again how anyone else in the future is going to want to be on that negotiating team — on anything —- if we are going to be against it…

I’ve gone through the multiple stages of grief. Today I’m just pissed off.” (Via CNN)
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

6:40 pm Eastern: Still NO ACTION on the Senate Floor. They've been holding open a procedural vote (which passed, it just needed a simple majority) before proceeding to Senator Schumer's Plan B: Aid to Israel and Ukraine without the border pieces. Now Republicans want to introduce... BORDER AMENDMENTS. It is shameful and disappointing that the GOP Senate is turning into an ineffective, clueless, and dysfunctional GOP MAGA House. https://www.senate.gov/legislative/floo ... y_pail.htm

Senate Floor.JPG
Senate Floor.JPG (252.74 KiB) Viewed 373 times
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:27 pm Join the club lady.
https://x.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/17 ... 63142?s=20
Republicans against Trump @RpsAgainstTrump wrote: NEW

Republican Senator Lisa Murkowski slams her Republican colleagues for blocking the bipartisan immigration bill:

“I have a difficult time understanding again how anyone else in the future is going to want to be on that negotiating team — on anything —- if we are going to be against it…

I’ve gone through the multiple stages of grief. Today I’m just pissed off.” (Via CNN)
But... but... but... have they learned their lesson yet Lisa?
If they tell you I fell off the bed and hung myself, I didn't.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Is Maj. Major in charge of this goat circus?
raison de arizona

By Linda Chavez, Senior Fellow at the National Immigration Forum author and former director of public liaison in the Reagan White House.
Republicans Are Lying About Their Own Border Bill
The immigration reform deal they negotiated has so much of what Republicans claim to want that the only way they can criticize it is by making things up.

THE TOUGHEST BORDER SECURITY LEGISLATION in a generation is finally ready for a Senate vote, but Republicans are threatening to kill the bill they just spent months negotiating. Given the rules of the Senate, any bill requires 60 votes to avoid a filibuster—and as of now they aren’t there. Even if the bill were miraculously to pass the Senate, House Speaker Mike Johnson has pronounced it “dead on arrival” in the House.

So why the sudden reversal among Republicans who’ve been claiming that the situation at the border is an existential crisis that threatens our very sovereignty? The problem is that they’ve demagogued this issue (and so many others) for so long that they’ve effectively divorced electoral politics from policy. They have told so many lies—big and small—about immigration and immigrants that, faced in an election year with the chance to enact their policy proposals, all they can do is lie some more.

Three of the biggest lies Republican congressional leaders are telling about this bill are worth refuting in detail.
:snippity:
https://plus.thebulwark.com/p/republica ... ation-bill
raison de arizona

Known dumbass Ron Johnson thinks the president makes the laws, back to school ya mook!
Biden’s Wins @BidensWins wrote: BREAKING: After spending months hyping the border issue as paramount to national security , Senator Ron Johnson now says it is not the Senate’s responsibility to deal with. Retweet to ensure the whole country sees this glaring hypocrisy.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 2.51.22 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 2.51.22 PM.png (436.25 KiB) Viewed 235 times
https://x.com/therecount/status/1755655 ... 34909?s=20

Some interesting votes:

Yes:
McConnell
Capito
Collins
Grassley
Kennedy (!)
Manchion
Tillis

No:
Sanders
Lankford (protest vote!)

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/ ... _00041.htm
raison de arizona

Lankford got underbussed badly on this one, poor schmuck.
raison de arizona

Don't show yer faces in AZ, Republicants.
Acyn @Acyn wrote: Kelly: I know some politicians see more advantage in shouting about problems than solving them. Well, I'll tell you this, if you come back to my state to do TV interviews at the border, you better be ready to explain why you chose politics

Return to “Current Politics”