The View From Maybelot

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
RVInit

The View From Maybelot

Post by RVInit »

That is a fabulous place and looks great. They did good work.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

The View From Maybelot

Post by Foggy »

Wow and a half. :shock:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
realist

The View From Maybelot

Post by realist »

Gorgeous place.
Image X 4
Image X 32
Estiveo
Verified:

The View From Maybelot

Post by Estiveo »

Noice.
Image Image Image Image
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

The View From Maybelot

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Mountain Not By a Lago!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Phoenix520
Verified:

The View From Maybelot

Post by Phoenix520 »

:bighug:
RVInit

The View From Maybelot

Post by RVInit »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:19 pm Mountain Not By a Lago!!!
Yeah, Maybelot is way too modest a name for this gorgeous property. We should have a naming contest to keep us entertained in between Trump indictments.! What do we have for the winner, Johnny?
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

The View From Maybelot

Post by Maybenaut »

Phase 1 of the kitchen rehab complete. (More or less - there are some things we’ll do after Phase 2).

At our old townhouse in Reston we went really high-end and spent a ton of money on the kitchen that we never got back. We enjoyed it for 8 years, so I’m not really complaining.

But this time we decided to go with things we could get directly from Home Depot or Lowe’s. We’re actually pretty happy with the result, and it was *a lot* less expensive. We went with hickory cabinets, pre-finished Sapele wood live-edge countertops, a Bosch wall oven and induction cooktop, a Bosch dishwasher, and a Kohler farmhouse sink. I still went high-end on the appliances, but saved a lot on the cabinets and countertops.

Everything to the left of the refrigerator is new (we got that fridge back when we bought the place). Phase 2 will be to replace everything to the right of the refrigerator. We’ll have a second sink and dishwasher identical to the ones in Phase 1. Most of the time it’s just the two of us, but we occasionally have a lot of people so it’s nice to have a place to prep for lunch while other people are cleaning up from breakfast.

Phase 2 will also include replacing the windows. The new one will not dip below the counter like the current one does, and the other window on the Phase 2 side (you can’t see it in the pictures) will be wider so there will be a lot more light.

This is a great place for events. Like meetups and stuff, maybe in spring or fall if 2024? :whistle:
53387FA8-2325-4C58-9DA1-2043932F0FA0.jpeg
53387FA8-2325-4C58-9DA1-2043932F0FA0.jpeg (148.52 KiB) Viewed 2735 times
C26978A5-20CA-4B54-8A33-FB0B80E319B4.jpeg
C26978A5-20CA-4B54-8A33-FB0B80E319B4.jpeg (151.3 KiB) Viewed 2735 times
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA
Verified:

The View From Maybelot

Post by AndyinPA »

Lovely view out the kitchen window. Nice job overall!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RVInit

The View From Maybelot

Post by RVInit »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:56 am Lovely view out the kitchen window. Nice job overall!
I would volunteer to wash your dishes every day as long as I can stand there and look out that window. :lovestruck: :lovestruck:
--Colin Kaepernick
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

The View From Maybelot

Post by bill_g »

I love your wraparound porch, and the new kitchen. Great work.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

The View From Maybelot

Post by Slim Cognito »

Niiiiiice!
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

The View From Maybelot

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:lovestruck:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Maybenaut

The View From Maybelot

Post by Maybenaut »

Power’s out! There’s a power line that borders the cabin property. Bunch of electric co-op guys went down there in an ATV. They estimate it will be up by midnight. Meanwhile the generator will power the tee vee, internet, and fridge, so the important things are covered.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Maybenaut

The View From Maybelot

Post by Maybenaut »

That was quick- power was only out for about 4 hours. Crew had to work in super rocky terrain.
Volkonski
Verified:

The View From Maybelot

Post by Volkonski »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:48 pm That was quick- power was only out for about 4 hours. Crew had to work in super rocky terrain.
:thumbsup:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Phoenix520
Verified:

The View From Maybelot

Post by Phoenix520 »

I’m ready! Heck, I may come without a meetup!
Maybenaut

The View From Maybelot

Post by Maybenaut »

Phoenix520 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:42 pm I’m ready! Heck, I may come without a meetup!
Any time! Except the last week of July - I’ll be at Swannanoa :lovestruck:

No Don Henry this year, though :brokenheart:
Phoenix520
Verified:

The View From Maybelot

Post by Phoenix520 »

Oh noes! Why not?
Did you hear that Cheryl Wheeler was hospitalized in October? :brokenheart:
Maybenaut

The View From Maybelot

Post by Maybenaut »

Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:50 am Oh noes! Why not?
Did you hear that Cheryl Wheeler was hospitalized in October? :brokenheart:
Don’t know why no Don Henry :brokenheart:

Did not hear about Cheryl Wheeler. I don’t really know her music, but I just started to learn Summer Fly - working on it with my guitar teacher.
Maybenaut

The View From Maybelot

Post by Maybenaut »

I love this time of year. The weather comes in from the west with fast-moving afternoon squalls and rainbows to the east. :lovestruck:
IMG_7889.jpeg
IMG_7889.jpeg (186.62 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

The View From Maybelot

Post by AndyinPA »

:lovestruck:

Getting some of the same here.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Maybenaut

The View From Maybelot

Post by Maybenaut »

Phase 2 of the kitchen renovation complete-ish. When we bought the place, the only kitchen was a galley kitchen in this small space. There was a fridge, a sink, and a stove (no dishwasher - and this place was a Bed and Breakfast :roll: ).

So we built out a large kitchen in what was the dining area, and kept this galley kitchen as additional storage, and a second sink and dishwasher. We replaced the cabinets and countertops to match what we installed in the rest of the kitchen, and changed out the window from a single double-hung, to a double double-hung.

Phase 3 will include replacing the other window, installing backsplashes on all the counters, replacing all the door and window trim to match the trim we made for this window, and painting.
IMG_7938.jpeg
IMG_7938.jpeg (130.19 KiB) Viewed 2309 times
IMG_7939.jpeg
IMG_7939.jpeg (153.33 KiB) Viewed 2309 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

The View From Maybelot

Post by AndyinPA »

Lovely! :lovestruck:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

The View From Maybelot

Post by raison de arizona »

Looks great! Also, aren't electric kettles the best!?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “Introduce Yourself”