The View From Maybelot

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Annrc
Verified:

The View From Maybelot

Post by Annrc »

Nice.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

The View From Maybelot

Post by Maybenaut »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:28 pm Looks great! Also, aren't electric kettles the best!?
They are! My husband is the coffee drinker. He’s tried a gozillion different ways of making his coffee, but always comes back to his French press.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Slim Cognito
Verified:

The View From Maybelot

Post by Slim Cognito »

Niiiiiiice!
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Lani

The View From Maybelot

Post by Lani »

It's beautiful!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

The View From Maybelot

Post by northland10 »

Does the dishwasher still come with a Stormy?
101010 :towel:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

The View From Maybelot

Post by neonzx »

Looks wonderful. Almost ready to host a Fogbow meetup even. :biggrin:
Maybenaut

The View From Maybelot

Post by Maybenaut »

northland10 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:18 am Does the dishwasher still come with a Stormy?
Ha! Stormy’s not wild about the renovations. There was a fake cabinet front connecting the wall cabinets on either side of the window that she could walk across. That’s gone and it’s too far to jump (even for her). So now she can only survey her domain from the top of the fridge and the 24” cabinets on either side, which is not nearly enough real estate.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Maybenaut

The View From Maybelot

Post by Maybenaut »

neonzx wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:23 am Looks wonderful. Almost ready to host a Fogbow meetup even. :biggrin:
I’d love to host one!
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

The View From Maybelot

Post by Foggy »

Gorgeous.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

The View From Maybelot

Post by keith »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:35 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:28 pm Looks great! Also, aren't electric kettles the best!?
They are! My husband is the coffee drinker. He’s tried a gozillion different ways of making his coffee, but always comes back to his French press.
Yes! French Press is the best!

It is my understanding (but I have no proof) that the wireless kettle was invented by an Australian company and has taken over the world.

By wireless, I mean that of course the base plugs in, but the kettle itself has no wires, the heating element runs off an induction connection (but originally had electric contacts - induction connection is safer).
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Maybenaut

The View From Maybelot

Post by Maybenaut »

keith wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:58 am
Maybenaut wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:35 pm
Yes! French Press is the best!

It is my understanding (but I have no proof) that the wireless kettle was invented by an Australian company and has taken over the world.

By wireless, I mean that of course the base plugs in, but the kettle itself has no wires, the heating element runs off an induction connection (but originally had electric contacts - induction connection is safer).
Ours is of the less safe variety. The base plugs in and there are electric contacts. Our cooktop is induction, though. We *love* it!
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

The View From Maybelot

Post by bill_g »

Love the wood. Gorgeous job.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

The View From Maybelot

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:clap:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
realist

The View From Maybelot

Post by realist »

Yes!
Image X 4
Image X 32
RVInit

The View From Maybelot

Post by RVInit »

:lovestruck: :lovestruck: :lovestruck: Gorgeous!
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
AndyinPA
Verified:

The View From Maybelot

Post by AndyinPA »

Can someone explain to me what makes and electric kettle the best?
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Maybenaut

The View From Maybelot

Post by Maybenaut »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:22 pm Can someone explain to me what makes and electric kettle the best?
I like ours (a Capresso), but I don’t know that it’s the best. It’s convenient, and preferable to using a pot on the stove.

I also have a regular stove-top kettle that I keep full on the wood stove during the winter to add a bit of humidity. Comes in handy during a power outage too!
Maybenaut

The View From Maybelot

Post by Maybenaut »

Just had a fast-moving squall come through from the west.
IMG_8008.jpeg
IMG_8008.jpeg (189.1 KiB) Viewed 2381 times
Phoenix520
Verified:

The View From Maybelot

Post by Phoenix520 »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:22 pm Can someone explain to me what makes and electric kettle the best?
For me, the fact that it turns off when it reaches a boil. I get absorbed in what I’m doing, forget that there’s water boiling for tea. I think it’s faster but that’s subjective. I like the design.
AndyinPA
Verified:

The View From Maybelot

Post by AndyinPA »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:14 am
For me, the fact that it turns off when it reaches a boil. I get absorbed in what I’m doing, forget that there’s water boiling for tea. I think it’s faster but that’s subjective. I like the design.
I like the sound of a whistling tea kettle. All is subjective.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Reddog

The View From Maybelot

Post by Reddog »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:36 pm
Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:14 am
I like the sound of a whistling tea kettle. All is subjective.
I hadn’t thought of an electric kettle before seeing it mentioned on this thread. I bought one and have been using it. I actually like it.
I appreciate the simplicity of the traditional tea kettle, but I have a severe high frequency hearing loss. I’m not sure if I would hear the whistling.
Maybenaut

The View From Maybelot

Post by Maybenaut »

IMG_8026.jpeg
IMG_8026.jpeg (66.43 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
I have no idea who this woman is, or what she was doing on my side porch this morning. We weren’t home.

But she seems lovely. She has a nice smile and was sporting a jaunty parasol on this hot and sunny day. She probably just wanted her picture taken on our deck with the view in the background. Happens a lot. I’m not terribly bothered by it.

We got the security cameras because there have been a few incidents recently that made us wish we had a record. Most recently some dude was hanging out right at the front of our house (like, leaning on the actual house) late at night. We don’t really know how long he had been there or what he was doing. We don’t believe his story that he “got lost” on US 211 - it only goes two places, and he didn’t ask for directions. And who rides an e-bike up a wind-y mountain road in the dark?

Given the location next to the house, I think the guy was using our electricity to charge the e-bike. If he had asked, we would have said OK. But the dude scrambled to leave as soon as he realized we saw him out there. He had a helmet strapped to the back of the bike but he didn’t put it on.

Given what’s been in the news a lot lately, I think one of two things are equally possible: the bike was stolen and he was worried we’d call the cops, or it was his bike and he was worried we’d shoot him for trespassing. We just wanted to make sure he was OK, but he didn’t hang around long enough to discover that.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

The View From Maybelot

Post by neonzx »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:29 pm IMG_8026.jpeg

I have no idea who this woman is, or what she was doing on my side porch this morning. We weren’t home.

But she seems lovely. She has a nice smile and was sporting a jaunty parasol on this hot and sunny day. She probably just wanted her picture taken on our deck with the view in the background. Happens a lot. I’m not terribly bothered by it....
She is smiling at someone so not alone. Because of how your place is laid out (originally a B&B with parking in front) most don't realize it is a private residence. They were likely non locals and probably looking for the scenic views and thought it was a place of public accommodation.

Did your security camera system flag this lady as "Person"?
qbawl

The View From Maybelot

Post by qbawl »

Pardon my curiosity but are you using a commercial security system or is your camera system roll your own? if it is the latter I would like to know the types of cameras and how you are networking them.
Maybenaut

The View From Maybelot

Post by Maybenaut »

neonzx wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:41 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:29 pm IMG_8026.jpeg

But she seems lovely. She has a nice smile and was sporting a jaunty parasol on this hot and sunny day. She probably just wanted her picture taken on our deck with the view in the background. Happens a lot. I’m not terribly bothered by it....
She is smiling at someone so not alone. Because of how your place is laid out (originally a B&B with parking in front) most don't realize it is a private residence. They were likely non locals and probably looking for the scenic views and thought it was a place of public accommodation.

Did your security camera system flag this lady as "Person"?
The other person isn’t in view of the security cameras. We’re on a busy road, so we have them angled only to pick up people who come close to the house, otherwise our phones would be blowing up with notifications.

We have a bunch of private residence signs but that doesn’t stop anyone. We had two posts with a rope blocking the driveway (we can’t have a gate because VDOT owns the entrance, but they said a rope is OK). But some asshole tried to turn around in the entrance when the rope was up and backed over one of the posts.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”