Shiney New Rolodex

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Rolodex

Shiney New Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

orlylicious wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:33 am I'm glad you're part of our forum! Grumpy Git and I share a fondness for Mike Lindell, who's been a great source of humor for The Fogbow.

You're right, this is a nice group. We have some rules to keep out troublemakers, but Foggy is fair and funny. He puts the crazy ones in a special section where we can laugh at them. It's like a family here, we care for each other. There have even been real life meetups sometimes (ask Foggy about his pal Walter Fitzpatrick, he really wanted to join in).

What topics are you interested in? There's so much to learn and enjoy here. People have diverse passions and skills. Did you know that Fogbow was the #1 site for Mama June Shannon and the hit series "Mama June From Not to Hot" for a while? She's "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo's Mom. :lol: It's "The Fogbow's Favourite Show". I'm American, but I spell it "favourite" because it sounds more classy... like Mama June herself.

We also have our own lingo here. For example, Orly Taitz, the birther dentist, tried to say "smoke and mirrors but it came out" Smoking Mirrors". We had a lot of fun with that. :P

Feel free to ask me anything if you have questions. I hope you love Fogbow as much as I do. It's the only online forum I post on, along with Twitter. I really respect Foggy and the people here (but don't let them know I said that). :bighug:

P.S. Forget Roy Moore, I'm all for Trenton Garmon. He's hilarious, but he's been quiet since his drug arrest. Do you know him personally? Trenton, not Roy. :P

Here's a video of Trenton insulting Ali Velshi and Don Lemon (he called Don "easy peasy lemon squeezy", and Don wasn't amused). It's short, and shows part of his lawyer ad at the end.

More about Trenton from al.com --

https://www.al.com/news/huntsville/2019 ... arges.html
Thanks for the warm welcome (and invite!). So glad to be here. I need to re-acquaint myself with forum posting skills; I've been in a hurry in the past few days. I absolutely adore anything re Mike Lindell. He's the poster child for weird and misguided as well as the pathological over-confidence of a mediocre white man.

Still poking around, but I'll find some threads to really sink into. The organization of this set up works the same way my brain does. I'm needed a better distraction with Twitter falling apart - I joined there in 2009, so I'm having a hard time letting go, plus that's where I saw your Eastman posts (I thought I was the only person watching that for a long time).

Not sure how I missed Trenton. I don't watch a lot of tv news, but boy he's a piece of work. I'm only about 2 degrees of separation from Roy Moore, though. A friend went to protest when Roy was campaigning, and my friend ended up on the Ellen show.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Shiney New Rolodex

Post by bill_g »

Rolodex wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:42 pm
Hi, bill_g! I moved from a city of 4 million to a state of 4 million. First we moved from Houston to Nashville, and I thought Nashville was the po-dunkiest place ever. The street system was weird, their pronunciations were weird (la-FAY-et instead of lah-fee-ET). Then we downsized further to a town of 60,000.
And smartasses make the world go round!
The PNW was first settled by the natives, then the French, and then the English. So, cities and streets are named after prior settlers. For example - Couch Street. It's not pronounced like a dairy animal. It has the cooing sound of a dove: Cooch. Another example - Aloha. The Aloha family are not Pacific islanders, but rather North European, and the city they founded is pronounced Ah-Low-wah. It's hilarious to hear people try to say some of the Native or French place names. At least you know to be a good local statesman, and help the visitor find their way.

Most of the West was laid out by engineers. Streets are on a grid (where possible) with naming and numbering systems that make sense. Not so in Boston as I found out working there for a year. All the roads are paved over the old hub and spoke horse trails that tended to follow the most direct line from one place to another. And the street addresses are literally the count of the buildings along that road. If I told you to go to 1305 SW Main St in Portland, first you'd find Main St in the SW part of town. Then you'd go thirteen blocks west of the north-south center line, and finally because it was 1305, you'd know it would be on the odd number side of the street. Not in Boston. 1305 Main St will be the one thousand three hundred and fifth building on that street from downtown wherever that lands you. You could be several blocks from downtown, or you could be miles and miles away. Driving out thirteen blocks will probably only get you into the high 300's. I never mastered it.
sugar magnolia

Shiney New Rolodex

Post by sugar magnolia »

bill_g wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:04 pm
Rolodex wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:42 pm
Hi, bill_g! I moved from a city of 4 million to a state of 4 million. First we moved from Houston to Nashville, and I thought Nashville was the po-dunkiest place ever. The street system was weird, their pronunciations were weird (la-FAY-et instead of lah-fee-ET). Then we downsized further to a town of 60,000.
And smartasses make the world go round!
The PNW was first settled by the natives, then the French, and then the English. So, cities and streets are named after prior settlers. For example - Couch Street. It's not pronounced like a dairy animal. It has the cooing sound of a dove: Cooch. Another example - Aloha. The Aloha family are not Pacific islanders, but rather North European, and the city they founded is pronounced Ah-Low-wah. It's hilarious to hear people try to say some of the Native or French place names. At least you know to be a good local statesman, and help the visitor find their way.

Most of the West was laid out by engineers. Streets are on a grid (where possible) with naming and numbering systems that make sense. Not so in Boston as I found out working there for a year. All the roads are paved over the old hub and spoke horse trails that tended to follow the most direct line from one place to another. And the street addresses are literally the count of the buildings along that road. If I told you to go to 1305 SW Main St in Portland, first you'd find Main St in the SW part of town. Then you'd go thirteen blocks west of the north-south center line, and finally because it was 1305, you'd know it would be on the odd number side of the street. Not in Boston. 1305 Main St will be the one thousand three hundred and fifth building on that street from downtown wherever that lands you. You could be several blocks from downtown, or you could be miles and miles away. Driving out thirteen blocks will probably only get you into the high 300's. I never mastered it.
No sympathy until you've mastered names and directions in New Orleans. It may be the only place where the west bank of the river is on the east side.
Rolodex

Shiney New Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Houston is definitely laid out in a grid; super easy to find your way. Some of the streets are super long, though. At least one starts with a name and goes so far out of town it becomes an "FM" road. Texas has roads known as "Farm to Market" roads which are basically state highways that were built to get farm products to ...the market. There are tons of roads called FM 2234 (or some number) all over the state.

There are other roads in Houston that are so long they just get a whole other name in the middle of town. And the names aren't related: Holcombe becomes Bellaire, Hillcroft becomes Voss, Stella Link become Weslayan and then Willowick...etc.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain

Return to “Introduce Yourself”