Another looming government shutdown

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

In the shadow of another looming government shutdown, Rep. Gooden claims that government has already basically shut down, according to him and his constituents, so it won't make any difference. Let's see how that works out for him.
Aaron Rupar @atrupar wrote: VARNEY: Where's the win for Republicans it the government is shut down and we have chaos?

REP. LANCE GOODEN: I believe we already have chaos
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
tek

Post by tek »

I heard that on the radio in the car..
What A Idiot.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Does he know what chaos means?
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

I think a lot of these stochastic terrorists masquerading as politicians don't get that chaos is multipliciative. They look look at the chaos they control and think "Well, I can make everyone feel the pain of this barely leashed chaos I have at my command, so why not do that to get what I want?" and forget that when the chaos comes, it will slip their chaos off the leash.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Found this quotation in Shelley's Frankenstein:
… I, like the arch-fiend, bore a hell within me, and finding myself unsympathised with, wished to tear up the trees, spread havoc and destruction around me, and then to have sat down and enjoyed the ruin.
raison de arizona

Xpost
raison de arizona wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:25 pm Oh look, the circus is in town. Too bad they have the ability to shut down the government.
House Devolves Into Chaos With Shouts of ‘Regular Order!’ as Speaker McCarthy Loses Control
Rep. Mike Garcia, R-Calif., was furious at his GOP colleagues for his inability to move the defense bill: 'They just handed a win to the China Communist Party'

Amid a chaotic scene and shouts of "regular order!" on the House floor Tuesday, a small faction of ultraconservatives blocked consideration of a GOP defense spending bill as the country inched closer to a government shutdown.

The vote underscored how House Speaker Kevin McCarthy is losing control of his conference. The chaos in recent weeks has led some ultraconservatives to consider a vote to remove McCarthy from his leadership post.

A House vote on a procedural rule that would have allowed amendments and debate on the defense appropriations bill failed, 212-214.

The five ultraconservatives who voted against the rule – Andy Biggs of Arizona, Dan Bishop of North Carolina, Ken Buck of Colorado, Ralph Norman of South Carolina and Matt Rosendale of Montana – have been engaged in a larger blockade on all appropriations measures as they seek deeper spending cuts.
:snippity:
https://themessenger.com/politics/house ... es-control
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Don't call them ultraconservitives, as there is little conservitive about them. Call them what they are - Anarchists.
Hic sunt dracones
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Wait a minute. I thought that, just hours ago, the media was portraying Ken Buck as a moderate. Could it be that they were-gasp-wrong? Or lying?
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:29 pm Found this quotation in Shelley's Frankenstein:
… I, like the arch-fiend, bore a hell within me, and finding myself unsympathised with, wished to tear up the trees, spread havoc and destruction around me, and then to have sat down and enjoyed the ruin.
Somethings never change. :oldlady:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Steve Herman
@w7voa@journa.host
Politico Playbook this morning: “We spoke to multiple Democratic members and aides last night, and this much they know: There will be a (US government) shutdown. Yesterday’s floor meltdown confirmed to them that the only remaining question is how long it will be.”
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Jeff Jackson, D-NC speaks about this:

raison de arizona

Right-Wing Rebels Block Defense Bill Again, Rebuking McCarthy on Spending
It was the second time in a week that hard-right Republicans had defied Speaker Kevin McCarthy on a spending measure, signaling that there was still no G.O.P. agreement on a bill to fund the government.

Right-wing House Republicans dealt another stunning rebuke to Speaker Kevin McCarthy on Thursday morning, blocking a Pentagon funding bill for the second time this week in a vivid display of G.O.P. disunity on federal spending that threatens to lead to a government shutdown in nine days.

Just hours after Mr. McCarthy signaled he had won over some of the holdouts and was ready to move forward, a handful of Republicans broke with their party to oppose the routine measure that would allow the military appropriations bill to come to the House floor for debate, joining with Democrats to defeat it.

It was a major black eye for Mr. McCarthy, who has on multiple occasions admonished his members in private for taking the rare step of bringing down such votes, known as rules, proposed by their own party — a previously unheard-of tactic. And it signaled continuing right-wing resistance to funding the government, even after the speaker had capitulated Wednesday night to demands from hard-right Republicans for deeper spending cuts as part of any bill to prevent a shutdown.

Representative James E. Clyburn of South Carolina, a member of Democratic leadership, said he had never before seen a speaker lose a rule vote so many times — three times in four months, and twice this week alone — something that had not happened for two decades before Mr. McCarthy assumed the post.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/21/us/p ... icans.html
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

This points out that McCarthy did a near total cave on this, and they still treated him like a bitch.

https://apnews.com/article/government-s ... c38e14cca4
McCarthy gives in to right flank on spending cuts, but they still deliver a defeat as shutdown looms
Hic sunt dracones
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Something about lying down with dogs....?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona

Some Rs are making noise about joining forces with the Ds to pass a budget. Or a CR. I guess. Anyway.
Christopher Webb @cwebbonline wrote: House Republicans decided Sen Tommy Tuberville isn’t doing enough to cut military readiness so they’re giving him a hand by defunding the military.
#TubervilleHasNoDefense

Rep Mike Lawler (R-NY) ~ “This is not conservative Republicanism. This is stupidity. The idea that we’re going to shut the government down when we don’t control the Senate, we don’t control the White House...It’s a clown show. You keep running lunatics. You’re going to be in this position.”
Republican Accountability @AccountableGOP wrote: Congressman Mike Lawler on the prospect of a government shutdown:

“It's an absolute joke as far as I'm concerned. It's not giving us more leverage. I've never seen a shutdown work successfully for those who have tried it, and it's not what the American people expect of us.”
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona

classic :lol:
raison de arizona

President Biden @POTUS wrote: Last time there was a government shutdown, 800,000 Americans were furloughed or worked without pay.

But enjoy your weekend.
Axios @axios wrote: NEW: Congress is officially heading home for the weekend after House GOP hardliners once again tanked plans to fund the government by the Oct. 1 deadline. https://trib.al/vctDEkm
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

MAGA congresscritters should be rounded up, jammed onto a C-17 and donated to Putin as cannon fodder.

Along with anyone that advocated banning books, interfering with women's medical issues and gerrymandering.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

"This is a whole new concept of individuals who just want to burn the whole place down," McCarthy said after the vote, acknowledging he was frustrated. "It doesn't work."
Uh......... ?

Have you been around congress in the last 14 years, you dumbfuck?
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona

President Biden @POTUS wrote: Funding the government is one of the most basic responsibilities of Congress.

It’s time for extreme House Republicans to do the job America elected them to do.
raison de arizona

One thing to remain cognizant of in this morass, is that the White House and McCarthy ALREADY HAVE A DEAL. McCarthy agreed to it during the debt ceiling impasse. Now he is trying to go back on it, saying bullshit like, Biden has to come to the table. Biden already done came to the table you fool, and you made a deal. Quit reneging!
Bending to right, McCarthy pushes safety net cuts in shutdown battle
Republican House speaker embraces major spending reductions in trying to win conservative support for funding bill

Cutting housing subsidies for the poor by 33 percent as soaring rents drive a national affordability crisis. Forcing more than 1 million women and children onto the waitlist of a nutritional assistance program for poor mothers with young children. Reducing federal spending on home heating assistance for low-income families by more than 70 percent with energy prices high heading into the winter months.

With days left before the government shuts down, House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) has embraced steep reductions to the U.S. safety net in an attempt to appease far-right Republican demands for lower spending. If McCarthy can win over conservatives and pass legislation funding the government, Republicans hope to have greater leverage in negotiations with the Democratic-controlled Senate and White House.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... -spending/
raison de arizona

A poorly educated electorate is a Republican electorate?
raison de arizona

The Senate pass a CR.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... e-unclear/
Senate Democrats and Republicans announced a short-term funding deal Tuesday night that would fund the government for six weeks while including additional money for Ukraine and domestic disaster relief.

The deal, reached days before the government would shut down on Saturday, cleared its first procedural hurdle Tuesday night, passing 77-19. It still will go through the full Senate process and face a final vote before heading to the House, where its future is uncertain.

The short-term deal, called a continuing resolution, allocates $4.49 billion for the Defense Department’s effort in Ukraine, alongside $1.65 billion in additional aid for the war-torn country, money that will remain available until Sept. 30, 2025. Combined, the more than $6 billion is far less than the White House’s request for $20.6 billion in Ukraine funding. But if the plan becomes law, Congress will almost certainly pursue additional money for Ukraine later this fall.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “Current Politics”