End Times

These people are weird, but we like to find out what weird people are doing and thinking. It's a hobby.
pipistrelle

End Times

Post by pipistrelle »

Family Who Died Trying to Live 'Off the Grid' Told Loved Ones About Their Plan: 'We Tried to Stop Them'
A family member of two sisters and a teen whose bodies were discovered "fairly mummified" in a remote Colorado campsite earlier this month said their deaths should serve as a warning: living in the wilderness without proper experience can be deadly.

On Tuesday, the Gunnison County Coroner's Office identified the individuals as Rebecca Vance, 42, Christine Vance, 41, as well as Rebecca’s 14-year-old son, according to a statement obtained by PEOPLE.

Trevala Jara, Rebecca and Christine's stepsister, told The Washington Post that the decision to "live off the grid" was made as Rebecca's fears about the world intensified.
I have no idea why Yahoo filed this under "entertainment."
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

End Times

Post by neonzx »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:09 am I have no idea why Yahoo filed this under "entertainment."
Perhaps because PEOPLE magazine was quoted. "entertainment" gawkers get their gawking on.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

End Times

Post by bill_g »

All three dying from malnutrition at the same time seems dubious.
Suranis

End Times

Post by Suranis »

Yep people love to titter about tales like this and tut tut while fanning themselves and sip their mocha and natter about how backward and uncivilised THOSE people are. "How Awful! tee hee tee hee." Total entertainment!

How awful.jpg
How awful.jpg (94.77 KiB) Viewed 612 times

No-one considers how this is a terrible tragedy, these are real people, and the forces that filled these people with fear to the point of Mental collapse might be Too Big To Fail.
Hic sunt dracones
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

End Times

Post by bill_g »

If you're going to spend a winter in the Rockies, you're going to need a good coat.

pipistrelle

End Times

Post by pipistrelle »

Suranis wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:34 am No-one considers how this is a terrible tragedy, these are real people, and the forces that filled these people with fear to the point of Mental collapse might be Too Big To Fail.
What strikes me is their family members tried to warn them, and they thought a few videos would help them survive. (Experienced hikers and campers can die.) And I wonder if the son was a believer, or caught up.

Fear kills.
pipistrelle

End Times

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:30 am All three dying from malnutrition at the same time seems dubious.
Carbon monoxide seems more likely.
pipistrelle

End Times

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:43 am If you're going to spend a winter in the Rockies, you're going to need a good coat.

Get your own coat, though.
neeneko

End Times

Post by neeneko »

bill_g wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:30 am All three dying from malnutrition at the same time seems dubious.
Gunnison County Coroner Michael Barnes told The Colorado Sun that he believed that possibly malnutrition and "exposure to the elements" through a harsh winter last year contributed to their deaths, though current analyses on their cause of death are still pending.

The autopsy reports are still incomplete, and the office is awaiting a toxicology report, per The Los Angeles Times. Barnes also expressed concern about carbon monoxide poisoning, citing evidence that the family attempted to stay warm by burning materials, including vegetation in soup cans, inside their tent.
So hypothermia, malnutrition, and perhaps finished off with carbon monoxide. Any one of them could have done it if your are trapped in the mountains during winter without a clue.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

End Times

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
My brother and his best friend (now my brother-in-law) tried that. Oh boy, they were going to drop out of society and live in the woods forever, it was going to be so great. So right after graduating high school in Bathysphere or wherever it is, they drove to upstate New York somewhere, you'd be surprised how much wilderness there still is up there, and they decided to explore and find a good site for their first camp.

They parked the pickup and started hiking into the wilderness, off on a wonderful adventure. They got about a mile and a half away from the pickup when the black flies found them. Black flies aren't venomous but they bite. They seriously bite. Their bite is quite painful.

They chased the boys all the way back to the pickup and they had to kill a lot of flies that got in with them. They lost their backpacks and sleeping bags and they weren't going back to get them, 'cause flies.

They drove home. End of adventure.

He works for HP now. :thumbsup:
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

End Times

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

Foggy wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:39 am
Off Topic
:snippity:
They chased the boys all the way back to the pickup and they had to kill a lot of flies that got in with them. They lost their backpacks and sleeping bags and they weren't going back to get them, 'cause flies.

They drove home. End of adventure.

He works for HP now. :thumbsup:
I know, not funny but.... :rotflmao:

Return to “Other weirdos”